Goody, Hammy, Bullitt Bench Press Race

Guest Bullitt

Any chance I could join you guys in a race to 400#? I got 7x275# yesterday so I would have some catching up to do. :D

- Aaron

What's your max Aaron?

I havent benched much in more than a decade. In fact yesterdays workout was my first time benching in about a year. My max when I was still training hard and just out of college was 550# in 97'. Cant substantiate it as it was a gym lift and everyone gets their panties in a wad when I mention any of my lifts from back then so I dont even like to say it. Most recent max was 365# last year after 4 or 5 workouts with Rex as a witness.

- Aaron

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

I'm going to get a chest workout in tonight. I'll post it up later/tomorrow.

Good stuff, Hammy! Hilarious!

Give a run at 300 for reps Goody. See where you're at! :D

Any chance I could join you guys in a race to 400#? I got 7x275# yesterday so I would have some catching up to do. :D

- Aaron

What's your max Aaron?

I havent benched much in more than a decade. In fact yesterdays workout was my first time benching in about a year. My max when I was still training hard and just out of college was 550# in 97'. Cant substantiate it as it was a gym lift and everyone gets their panties in a wad when I mention any of my lifts from back then so I dont even like to say it. Most recent max was 365# last year after 4 or 5 workouts with Rex as a witness.

- Aaron

HELL YEAH, Aaron! 275 X 7 is nothing to sneeze at, buddy. I think you'll be closer to us than you realize.

Guest Bullitt

Aaron's in. We'll set your goal at 400lb like these other bruisers, but do a max lift before Sunday and we can adjust it if needed. Trying to stay around 9% over current max for the goal.

Anybody else want to play? If a bunch of people jump in, we can just make it for pride and bragging rites. Hammy, Goody and I can still race for a gripper.

You both have $14 right. Gripper's are about $28 shipped. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aaron's in. We'll set your goal at 400lb like these other bruisers, but do a max lift before Sunday and we can adjust it if needed. Trying to stay around 9% over current max for the goal.

Anybody else want to play? If a bunch of people jump in, we can just make it for pride and bragging rites. Hammy, Goody and I can still race for a gripper.

400lb ain't nuttin but pnuts for me. Grippers mine

I'm glad we've clearly identified the shit-talker. :dry

Guest Bullitt

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

This thing needed to get spiced up! Are you making a run at 300 for reps tonight Goody? I may see what i can do. i haven't benched since Monday.

This thing needed to get spiced up! Are you making a run at 300 for reps tonight Goody? I may see what i can do. i haven't benched since Monday.

I'm thinking that Goody might not want to test his 300 rep strength for fear that he is behind ? :fear

Guest Bullitt

I'm thinking that Goody might not want to test his 300 rep strength for fear that he is behind ? :fear

In the immortal words of some guy I can't remember... It's On!

Theres always at least one. Usually its Rex :D

I figure the 7x275# should be good for at least 335 untrained. I'll stick with 400 since the initial bump from just training it at all should be substantial. I'm sore as hell today so prolly wont bench again until at least Monday or Tues at the earliest. Besides doing lots of cardio type stuff to get ready for Yosemite trip in August. Will post my weight workouts here too I guess. Braggin rights is fine by me. Would be pretty happy to be over 4 bills again.

- Aaron

I don't scare easily. ;)

Guest Bullitt

Tried to see if i could push 280 today. Came off my chest great but I couldn't lock it out. I haven't been doing dips like i used to and i think it is affecting the transition and 2nd half of the press. I will hit a couple good tricep workouts over the next week or two along with my normal training and see if that helps.

barX15

barX15

95X10

135X10

185X1

225X1

280Xmiss

Sounds good Aaron. 400 it is.

Good news is the extra warmups seem to be helping. No bicep tendon pain, which I ALWAYS got when trying a max BP.

Last night's chest workout:

Flat Bench Press (Full-Pause Reps)

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

-185 X 5 (Arched over a foam roller)

-225 X 3 (Arched over a foam roller)

-275 X 3 (Arched over a foam roller)

-300 X 3 (Arched over a foam roller)

-315 X 3 (Arched over a foam roller)

-320 X 3 (Arched over a foam roller)

-325 X 3 (Arched over a foam roller)

-330 X 1 (Arched over a foam roller)

I've been rotating the pause reps in my workouts now for a few weeks. They're just nasty. There's no cheating, no bouncing, no bull...you either get it or you get buried. Next up in my chest rotation: Max Effort Singles.

I did some dumbbells and stabilization work afterwards. I only posted up the bench stuff; details on the rest of the workout are in my blog.

Guest Bullitt

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

I've been rotating the pause reps in my workouts now for a few weeks. They're just nasty. There's no cheating, no bouncing, no bull...you either get it or you get buried. Next up in my chest rotation: Max Effort Singles.

I did some dumbbells and stabilization work afterwards. I only posted up the bench stuff; details on the rest of the workout are in my blog.

Very strong bro. Going to be a hell of a race to 400 between you and Hammy!

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

Nice work Goody! When you do your pause reps how long do you pause at the bottom before you press? I'll try some of those even though it's not real smart with no spotter lol

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

Don't count Aaron out - he's one strong dude!

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

Nice work Goody! When you do your pause reps how long do you pause at the bottom before you press? I'll try some of those even though it's not real smart with no spotter lol

HAHA! It's tough without the spotter, bro. Pause reps are totally different than just hitting fast reps. I pause for a full second or so.

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

HAHA! It's tough without the spotter, bro. Pause reps are totally different than just hitting fast reps. I pause for a full second or so.

Yea i've done them with lighter weights like 225 where I pause for a second or so. I'll try some heavier ones next time I do bench

Yeah, they're no joke. I do them for squats too.

Guest Bullitt

I do them with box squats to take any momentum out of the equation, plus if you know you are going to pause it tends to keep you from slamming onto seat.

Never. Dude has done some sick lifts. he'll probably blow past all of us.

Edited by Bullitt

I do them with box squats to take any momentum out of the equation, plus if you know you are going to pause it tends to keep you from slamming onto seat.

hehe, maybe since I still got a few training tricks up my sleeve. :D:rock

- Aaron

- Aaron

You're not sandbagging on your estimated lifts are you Aaron? HMMMMMMM :unsure

- Aaron

You're not sandbagging on your estimated lifts are you Aaron? HMMMMMMM :unsure

Never. That was my first workout from an untrained on the bench perspective and it was a hard set. I do know my body pretty well though and how to get the most out of it through training and rest selection. I know a few unorthodox training methods as well that would surprise you with the results. I'll put up my workouts here like everyone else for this one. Train hard and lets all bust that 4 bills barrier.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Yeah...this has Sandbaggin' written all over it!

Yeah...this has Sandbaggin' written all over it!

For sure. Game on!

Guest Bullitt

I'll be happy with my measly 3 bills and a nickel. I'll let you young boys battle for the quad. I have a feeling that when one of us gets close, Aaron is going to bust out 400 pretty quickly. Time will tell...

Yea buddy... Light weight!