Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Yes. I'm tempted to jump the gun but am trying to stay on plan. You should see multiple singles with 160-kilos soon.

Tuesday

Viking Press

equ x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 6 reps, plus 62.5-kilos (92.5 in hands) x 4 reps (tough)

EZ Curls

10-kilos e/s x 8 reps, 20-kilos e/s x 6 reps, 31.25-kilos e/s x 4 reps (loose and tough)

Dips

bwt x 8 reps*, plus 10-kilos x 6 reps*, plus 30-kilos x 5 reps

First two sets made shoulders ache which strangely enough the last one nor CG Bench is doing at the mo.

2HP @ 44mm

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 72.5-kilos x 0 reps and then x 1 rep final max set / reps plus 74-kilos x 5 x 1 reps (first one touch n go and last two with tape on after skin tore) then x 0 / missed rep so stopped.

Steve, I hope the week off helped your back, no news is good news I guess.

re: Viper:

He was a few pounds short of a Inch pull from the floor and having him use his free hand to press a few pounds of pressure on his right hand thumb he was able to get a rough pull. I'd guess some 4-5lbs of pressure was all that was needed and a little direct training will give him success.

Did Viper do a little better than Sam on the Inch at your grip-together? Did you mean in the quote I've snipped from your log (above) future success in a full DL (or just getting air) for him after he does a "little direct training"?

I would have guessed there would be about 20-40 lbs. of improvement needed between the light free hand assist (or even a few inches of unassisted air and quick drop) and an unassisted full Inch DL. I am basing this estimate after reading some of your 2.5" DB prerequisite DL poundage estimates and that Dr. Alan Radley failed to get any air under the original Inch at the 1999 Oscar Heidenstam Awards Dinner, and then trained for a year (without the replica) with his best effort being a hold with a 176 lb. 2.5" DB for a few seconds 5-6 inches off the floor. After a year of thick DB and other specialized training, Dr. Radley lifted the original Inch DB about 2-3 inches off the ground (I know you are well aware of this, but include it for the benefit of others interested in this topic).

From reading Sam's grip together report, it looks like he was just spinning the Inch on the ground when he tried it at your place, if I understood his report correctly. But in his log it looked like he almost got it to full DL after just a few weeks of training using a replica, which is an amazing improvement. Bruce White (another 600 lb. deadlifter) trained for 5 years to DL the Inch. That seems like a long time for someone who was already very strong, so Sam must have great thickbar potential, given his age and current strength level.

Perhaps very quick improvement on thick DB/Inch lifting is possible (especially if you have the goal dumbbell). If my memory serves me correctly, I read that it took you about year between your first Inch attempt and first full DL after training with the 2.5" DB, but based on how easy it was for you on your next attempt, you obviously could have lifted it much sooner if you'd had more opportunities to try the real thing.

Thanks for posting your log Steve, I'm learning a lot from reading it.

Edited by odin

In my case direct thick handled dumbbell work was only done for 3-4 months prior. It would have been a little longer but I waited more than need be for Pullums to drop the handle off.

Viper was better first touch but I am not sure what training he was doing to that point. However, he is a lot taller than Sam.

id never picked up a thick handle dumbell until that point steve - is that pinch 74 + 20 for 94k total?

i had to apply a 'little' pressure to get it off the floor but once it was off i was applying next to nothing - if i had the power an technique to snatch something i could probably have snatched the little one, it felt like nothing, but then the inch rolled out, was annoying - ive had back trouble so deadlifting anything has been a problem, but on my homemade RT loadable dumbbell, ive done multiple singles with either hand of 74kg, an had 84kg a few inch off >i lock everything in with strong locks an tape it all with masking tape so it's solid, an i remember feeling like it was definately harder weight for weight when i first tried it

sam's hands are a bit small to be good at lifting with handles so thick, but he was throwing the little one about easy anyways

In my case direct thick handled dumbbell work was only done for 3-4 months prior. It would have been a little longer but I waited more than need be for Pullums to drop the handle off.

Viper was better first touch but I am not sure what training he was doing to that point. However, he is a lot taller than Sam.

Thanks Steve. I found some good threads about you and the Inch at the Iron History website as well. Thanks for sharing the details of your workout with the talented youngsters.

Hope everyone's back heals up. Those one-handed lifts can be tough on the back. Viper, your job sounds like a nightmare for someone with back issues.

Steve your training is looking good mate. I have next monday (12th Nov) off work - is this a good day for me to come up to yours for a session? It'd be good to train with you again.

sam's hands are a bit small to be good at lifting with handles so thick

LOL!

Re. comments about me lifting thick handled dumbells/that session mentioned in odin's post. june16th (when i collected my inch) i lifted the inch about 2-3 inches off the floor i trained with it for a month pretty much everyday and was eventually able to pull it about 4-5 inches with some tilt (so still a ways off lockout). When i trained with viper (aug 17th) i didn't attempt the inch bell only did some throws from hand to hand with the small one and some cleans and presses with the small one. Viper managed to get air under the inch first attempt at it. Steve did a full lift with the inch on that day with minimal tilt.

I don't think I'm down for next Tuesday to train but can adjust things so you could have a session. I'd need 12-2 to pack orders but should be ok the rest of the time.

i may be f o o k e d from work an cant promise owt cuss i can get called in, but yeh go on, why not? i have no money but ill try work something out, tuesday is supposed to be a day off - i think ill have to get some thick handle dumbbell lifting in though, only done thickbar in work recently, maybe do some 2moz if my tendons will stop crying

monday is the only day i get off work at the moment. can't do any other days. hope this ok for you viper.

Wednesday

Interesting session. Bodyweight down (see below) but strength up and 2HP @ 70mm best for ages (just missed lock out with max weight).

2HP @ 70mm

equ (43.6-kilos) x 6 reps, plus 20-kilos x 3 reps, plus 30-kilos x 1 rep, plus 40-kilos x 1 rep, plus 45-kilos (88.6-kilos) x 1 rep, then plus 50-kilos (93.6) x just missed. Dropped back to plus plus 45-kilos (88.6-kilos) for 3 x 1 reps

R/Thunder

B/H: 45-kilos x 8 reps

L/H: 77.5-kilos x 10 x 1 reps

R/H: 87.5-kilos x 12 x 1 reps (in fact included 4 in a row at one point)

Tricep Pressdown and then pushdown

stack x 8 reps, plus 15-kilos x 8 reps, plus 30-kilos x 8 reps, plus 40-kilos x 6 reps, switched to pushdown and did 6 more reps. Stayed at pushdown and did plus 45-kilos x 8 reps and plus 50-kilos x 8 reps

Bwt: 19st 8.5lbs

Friday

Bloody rubbish. Barely worth a mention (bit like Vipers 4 post ha ha).

Grippers

R/H: could barely shut an BB Elite and only got the CoC 3.5 down to 1/4inch today (4 singles). I need to review what I was doing before and modify my training back to what it was or change it to something else.

L/H: BBGM to barely there. As above and same reps

Dumbbell

L/H: too much weight and usual faffing around setting up. Missed 3 attempts at 90-kilos

R/H: no problems but with the rest of the session off... anyway 107-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

Just had a quick read back through my training diary here using the search function. I noted that whenever I go absolutely tip top on pinch or close to it any session following on grippers is way off - as todays was. I might try grippers and pinch together. As it is, although not noted, my forearms have had that deep soreness a great pinch session gives them since I last trained them.

Are you training on monday Steve or are you going to give yourself a few more days recovery? Let me know because i ned to book the train ticket tomorrow morning!

Sunday

CG Bench

Blinding session / groove session.

0-kilos x 12 reps, 20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 40-kilos a side x 6 reps, 61.25-kilos a side x 9 x 1 reps inc 3 with a pause. Also all heavy reps were done for speed. So slowish down and as fast as possible up.

DB Rows

Supersetted with heavy bench

55-kilos @ x 8 reps, 70-kilos @ x 3 x 6 reps

Tricep

Didn't bother. I was also running late - I thought I was training at the unit and only noticed once I'd arrived that I was not.

Bwt: 20st 1lb 8oz