Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Thursday

was nigh on done packing orders when lads turned up for a bench session and as I was due to do one tomorrow did it today with them. 2nd 'cycle' @ 65%: I took the lighter option and will up to slightly higher weight on session two cycle two next time (see previous plan).

CG Bench

20-kilos a side x 12 easy reps

27.5-kilos a side x 10 easy reps

35-kilos a side x 8 easy reps

43.75-kilos a side x 7 nice reps (107.5-kilos total)

Next time is 108.75 or 44.375-kilos - I'll round this up to 44.5-kilos a side using spring collars and if need be tape weight on or go to 45-kilos a side as the next weight is 48++.

Nice benching.

myself and viper should arrive at yours tomorrow for about 09:50.

Edited by CoC#3

I look forward to seeing what you guys get up to, hope you both set some PR's!

thanks mate

is it out of the question for you to drive down and train aswell? Be good to see you again mate.

Nice benching.

myself and viper should arrive at yours tomorrow for about 09:50.

10 to ten? I better get up early then ha ha.

Fed, watered and rested... the other lads will still be on their ways home and in Sam's case getting ready to go to work. Time to keep the troops happy with some notes :D

As mentioned elsewhere the boys planned on being here for a little before ten but as per British rail had slightly different plans and so they arrived shortly after finding me opening up. I had moved a item of furniture in the yard which made a stiff back spasm - reminding me as always to stretch etc and I had just done this when the lads came through the gates.

My training today was down and grippers and dumbbell work and so that's what we started with. Sensible warm ups and some chatting about set and rep schemes as well as close setting, CCS etc soon had us all hitting the 3's and above. Sam managed a CCS of a 3 but both Sam and Viper were a tiny bit off, regardless of setting (very close, spring held or inverted) videoable closes of BBSE or 3.5's. Lots of attempts (as Sam's camera will show) took place. My best for the day was 8 reps with a wide set on one of the 3's, several successful closes of Vipers 'easy' 3 left handed and getting Sam's 4 down close but not quite making it. Some more gripper work was attempted through the day (inc the mentioned reps on the 3) but next up was dumbbells.

All three of us seemed to have no real problems whatsoever with the 'baby' inch (53-kilos) and a few tips were shared. A quick right handed rep for me and I was on to my planned rep work with 97.5-kilos in plates alone right handed (6 x 1) and 80-kilos in plate alone left handed (6 x 1) using the two different 2.5-inch handles. The lads stayed on the baby and full size inch dumbbells with Sam once again getting the baby overhead with either hand and doing hand to hand passes. Viper was a little off on these to begin with putting it down quickly between attempts but finally managed a single hand to hand but did manage some very nice high pulls. He was a few pounds short of a Inch pull from the floor and having him use his free hand to press a few pounds of pressure on his right hand thumb he was able to get a rough pull. I'd guess some 4-5lbs of pressure was all that was needed and a little direct training will give him success.

Next up was the 2 hand pinch and blob work (not part of my planned work) and Sam found that his wide pinch (he has a much wider space between his thumb and index finger that either Paul (Viper) or myself was no good at all on the 44mm setting we used. So while he played with the 44lb blob I showed Paul how to set the pinch and he worked to 70-kilos with a couple of attempts at 75 and 80-kilos. I went to a tough 95-kilos before stopping. In between we were joining in with Sam on the blob and I worked to a 2 finger pull and the other lads worked to eventually getting a clean and press.

Sam had also got out his bending pads and I'd brought over the ones Dunkster gave me and while Paul set up the wrist roller I matched whatever Sam did (blues and yellows) as well as giving him some of my almost never used now stock (one G5, one G8 and a FBBC bar). The tape came out and measuring all the hands from the same spot Sams came out, if I recall well, at 19cms long, Vipers was 20cms and mine were a tad longer at 20.2cm. The forearms were measured - almost straight out with the fist goose necked and Sam's came up as 12-inches, Vipers around 14 and mine 15.5 inches. Bodyweights were Vipers at 240lbs and close to 6 feet three (he said down from 250 or so), Sam's was well over 240 at 5 feet 6 or more and I was 271.6lbs at six feet three. Our mums would be so proud ha ha

Back on the wrist roller we played around a little but I think we were at the 2 hour plus mark here and I was HUNGRY so popped into my house for a protein shake which must have got the boys bellies rubbling so we went back and sat and nattered for 40 or so minutes while they also had a shake before going back for some more fun.

This time they wanted a go at 'strongman' so we set up the out door platform and I had them do the usual warm ups of 3 reps each on the 50-kilo and 70-kilo Atlas stones. Sam had no done any real strongman train for a while and so managed a final attempt on our 100-kilo stone onto a low platform before we raised the odds and the height by having Viper, sans Tacky at this point, use the 110-kilo. After some successful and some not work we got out a 120-kilo Atlas stone and with Tacky and onto a 50+ inch platform he managed a single all out max. I did a tiny bit of Atlas work putting the 70-kilo stone on a high platform and showed the open handed straight arm technique I use by picking up the 120-kilo stone easily.

As mentioned the grippers were taken out and used through out the day as well as the concentrated effort at the beginning and by this time it was getting on for 3.30 Sam had to go (see below) and so Paul's last efforts were on the IFSA spec log (unladen it's 77-kilos). With my usual tips on hand positioning and getting the head through Viper ended his days lifting with (I think) a total of 5 singles with the log.

4.00pm came and a very late lunch for me as soon as the lads set off - Sam first as he had come from work in the morning and trained (so no sleep) and would have two hours once he got in before going back out to work!! Paul had a little further to go but promised to visit again as it had not taken as long to get here as he had thought. The marathon session certainly tired me out and so most of Deal or No Deal was spent snoring and digesting my chicken and chips :online

Hopefully the lads will have some notes and comments of their own.

No he came and did not embarrass himself. They both were a gnats ball off a deep set 3.5 gripper close that was usable for video purposes but other than that did quite well. I was, of course, the daddy ha ha but in a few short months they could well bring up their games well enough to be serious competition come the next British. Pete1006 was also mentioned by them as being good competition.

Awesome stuff, nice to see Viper put up, it's time for the naysayers to now shut up. Although the boy could still be a little more modest.

Sam, all that on no sleep? DAYUM!...I didn't realise you were a dwarf, tho :inno

Edited by twig

The forearms were measured - almost straight out with the fist goose necked and Sam's came up as 12-inches , Vipers around 14 and mine 15.5 inches.

This must be a typo? :erm Because:

8.25'' wrist, 16'' forearm

No. We talked about how it is supposed to be done - ie: how we did it and not Sybersnott style which is how he has done it before (forerarm pressed against bicep with the wrist flexed). Sam mentioned being down in bodyweight and strength. We measured it that way as well and Viper and I had a 1" difference but Sam was able to get 2" more (taking it to 14"). There may have been a little exagerration but if he has lost weight it might not be quite as bad as it seems.

Yes Steve, i have lost 20lbs very fast.

Lol, still had no sleep yet since i was at yours mate. :online gonna get a bit now!

Edited by CoC#3

According to most bodybuilding authorities on the average frame (height etc) 10lbs equates to an inch all over so a 20lb loss would explain the 2" difference.

Sunday

Shoulders ache, back aches, trained like a nutter last few days but here I am cranking more weight, reps and sweat. Grinding, grinding...

Viking Press

equ x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 6 reps (took it easy so did 6 not 8), plus 57.5-kilos x 5 reps

EZ curls

bar etc plus 20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 6 reps (again took it easy so not to annoy sore back), plus 57.5-kilos x 5 reps - loose

Dips

bwt bx 8 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps and plus 32.5-kilos x 5 reps

Tricep Pressdown

40-kilos x 5 set x 8 reps

set up with wooden block under feet as I was hitting the top of the frame with the weight holder. Had the tricep thickening idea from Louis Simmons tape in mind for this movement. Since the last set of presses I had an elbow sleeve on my right arm - left arm was giving me a tiny twinge on these sets/reps I might need another sleeve.

Every time I did the hard heavy weights I thought of a scene I'd seen in last days of Krakatoa with the captain of a ship staring but smiling into a 40m wave like a nut job he he, Prepared to die but smiling like a lunatic as the wave comes towards him - :angry: ave it!!

With both a 500 word essay and a profile which includes a photo of me breaking the British V-Bar record in this months Muscular Development magazine (theres a great article on Ironmind grippers in MMI this month as well) I logged on today to see I'd won again:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/dl...ats-mobster.jpg

Edited by mobsterone

won what? never read the magazine

Buy one and find out you tight git... :whacked

I get a free magazine, a free t-shirt and there was talk of a 3-time winner maybe getting to write full time for the mag - it'd be $1000.00 a month I think - now that's sweet :D