Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Steve, were those #4 attempts done from a light set as normal or with a mash monster set?

Hey mobster, that 2" bar 310kilo partial DL, was it like a rack pull? Or pulled from what height? .. If you're kind enough to answer this, please tell us what grip you used (i assume mixed?), and I wont even ask about straps of course. :tongue

Great to see you including the #4 in your workouts. I know nothing, but I've heard some people say that you MUST include the goal gripper in your workouts (even if not in all of them) if you ever wanna close it, and I don't remember ever seeing you posting a coc#4 attempt, not this year at least, heh. Is this #4 harder than Sam's? I assume so, since it was said you got that one to 1mm or even less. (I think Sam's words were: "the closest it could be without being shut" or something to that effect). Anyways, 1/4" if you used a set wider than parallel.

Thick bar: it was about a 4"-6" movement and mixed grip today and of course no straps.

CoC 4:A little wider as it's harder to set than most - quite stiff at the start.

Steve, were those #4 attempts done from a light set as normal or with a mash monster set?

Little closer than normal but not as close as a MM set

Having had a chat with Nick during the week (H and TT were about also) I'm set on benching 4 plates a side or 180-kilos / 396lbs.

With that in mind I looked up some programs and will be working the percentages. I'll be benching 2x per my 9-11 day cycle and (not sure if it'll reproduce well here) using the following method:

Cycle SET 1 SET 2 SET 3 SET 4

1 12 10 8 8

2 12 10 8 7

3 10 8 8 6

4 10 8 8 6

5 10 8 7 5

6 10 8 6 5

7 10 8 6 5

8 10 8 6 4

9 10 8 6 4

10 9 7 5 3

60-107.5%

Cycle – Set 4 poundage

1 60% = 100.50-kilos

2 65% = 108.75-kilos

3 70% = 117.25-kilos

4 75% = 125.62-kilos

5 80% = 134.00-kilos

6 85% = 142.37-kilos

7 90% = 150.75-kilos

8 95% = 159.12-kilos

9 100% = 167.50-kilos

10 107.5% = 180-kilos+

I hope so. Each 'cycle' allows me two 'bites of the cherry' and I took my first 'bite' today.

Saturday

CG Bench (as per new routine)

20-kilos a side x 12 reps, 27.5-kilos a side x 10 reps, 35-kilos a side x 8 reps, 40-kilos a side x 7+1 reps (actually did 8 first time but did not lock out 8th rep completely and had to rack it quick when lactic acid caught me out)

2HP

worked to 92.5-kilos @ 44mm x 3 x 1 reps with a missed 4th rep.

Sunday

... man oh man... I was on my way back from the newsagent newspaper and choc in hand when I saw Nick. I should have run cos he says 'are you gonna do some conditioning work with us today and I said yes like a plum ha ha

So...

We all did 1 minute each, with 1-2.5 mins rest in between (all got the same as we all did the same circuit with staggered starts, of the following:

Chins 12 reps

Dips* 17 reps (pumped at 8)

V-Ups 22 reps

Burpess 15 reps

Bag work 1 minute (liked this - really pounded it

Band sprints 6 (could have done more but not in time)

Thrusters 7 (awful form)

Leg raise 18

KB Swings 18 (middleweight bell)

Push ups 20

Box jumps 9 (low platform)

tire work 8 laps (almost walked through)

* indicates where I started from so chins were last

As we all pushed ourselves and some did more or less we were all Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed. My stich came and went and I had the same mid session head ache as others. I recovered quickly enough (thanks to the pallet drags taking a similar time) but was, as TT pointed out, Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed enough to be very quiet at the end ha ha

Now whether or not I can train tomorrow on shoulders and arms remains to be seen...

Monday

Thanks goodness it wasn't shoulders and arms today!! Even so it was a tad off.

Grippers

L/H: BBGM x VVN, VVN, 1 (T), 1 (T), VVN, VVN (T), VVN (T)

T = touched with free hand.

R/H:CoC 3.5 x 1 (T), CoC 4 x VVN (T), x 0, x 0 (couldn't get it in hand properly), VVN (T), VVN (T)

Dumbbell

B/H: Baby Inch x 3 x 1 reps @

L/H: 80-kilos x 2 of 5 attempts

R/H: 97.5-kilos x 3 of 5 attempts

Those attempts marked T, are they braced attempts? Impressive to see the no.4 in your training, is that a GR8 no.4?

Edited by Pete1006

Got no sympathy for you!! :tongue

You've started to incorporate a wider variety in your full body training, what with training with Nick and the other Whey guys - you thinking of expanding into further fields competitvely (ie. Strongman)? Is there life in the old dog yet?

Those attempts marked T, are they braced attempts? Impressive to see the no.4 in your training, is that a GR8 no.4?

T = braced or using the free hand to hold the spring so yes.

Mac: Just something different to try but maybe with some influence.

Wednesday

43 today so I celebrated by training and working ha ha

Viking Press

equ x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 6 reps, plus 56.25-kilos x 5 reps :D Much better than last time.

EZ Curls

+ 20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 8 reps, plus 55-kilos x 8 tough ass kicking reps

Dips

bwt (took boots off) x 8 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps, plus 31.25-kilos x 6 reps

More so after being so 'off' last time. I had the 180-kilo bench in mind. Get the triceps nice n strong. I've always been ok at dips and did then, if infrequently, from the beginning of training 28 years ago today. I weigh about 270-275 at the mo.

I've just read some of your workout log (more will be read I'm sure :whistel )... MAN your thickbar work is KILLER. Impressive stuff, your forearms must be like steel itself.

Quick question though if you don't mind, what are viking presses (I looked for but couldn't find)? ~Jw

P.S. Have a great B-day by the way.

Edited by jw7

Cheers. Viking Press is a strongman event. We have a Conan's circle (it's a long steel framed arm on a pivot) to which weight can be added. The athlete picks up the end away from the pivot and walks around in a circle.

We had a set of 'handle bars' (for want of a better phrase) made to fix to one end and you press them. In the linked to photo one of our lads - H - is using it as set up for a Conan's walk.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4563/satu...ober2006tk3.jpg

When its set up for pressing you need to lean into it and of course the frame has some weight - we guess about 30-kilos on the hands. So, as per today, I was using about 56.25-kilos or 86.25-kilos total give or take a few kilos. That comes out to around 185-lbs.

As per this pic used as an avatar: http://209.85.48.10/3626/169/upload/av-601.jpg

Edited by mobsterone

That seems like some hard work and fun. Many thanks Mobster.

Friday

'light' day on grippers

Grippers

L/:H RB 240ip x 1, x 3, x 3, x 3 reps

R/H: CoC 3.5 x 5 x 1 reps

V-Bar

usual warm ups then

L/H: 150-kilos x 2 x 0 (missed attempts) 147.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

R/H: 150-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

No wrist roller work due to time and that Mike Daly and buddy had come in at the beginning (having left Fife at 3.30am) to collect two of the thick handled dumbbells Al Christie brought with Nick etc. Send them off for breakfast and did the rest of the workout then back to the unit for 1130am. That said we then chewed the fat and all played with the baby inch, normal inch and shut grippers etc. I knew they wouldn't be able to resist.

R/H:

Bwt: 19st 10lbs 8oz

Nice - 5 singles on a 3.5 is strong. I wish my light days involved more 3.5 closes, lol.

Edited by CoC#3

Nice - 5 singles on a 3.5 is strong. I wish my light days involved more 3.5 closes, lol.

Ahh now I've moved from on off BBSE and onto near closes with the 4 a 3.5 should be easy - at least by comparison. I also shut it again later for Mike Daly.

Ahh now I've moved from on off BBSE and onto near closes with the 4 a 3.5 should be easy - at least by comparison. I also shut it again later for Mike Daly.

Hope you don't mind this question: what would you estimate the set was, on those #3.5 closes? Furthermore, have you ever tried to CCS it? (I guess not), if not, do you think you'd be very far?