Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Tuesday

Gymantion

Grippers - heavy day

Wasn't able to fire on all cylinders as it were. A 'light' day should see me back on program.

L/H: BBGM x 3-4 x 1 VVN's and an assisted attempt on my hard CoC 3

R/H: worked to 3.5 x 1 and then 3-4 x 1/4-inch or so x CoC 4.

V-bar

B/H: 45, 75, 90, 105, 120 and 135-kilos x 1 rep @

L/H: 147.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

R/H: 151.25-kilos x 3 x 1 reps - all off of floor but not full height - at least it didn't feel like full height.

Bwt: 19st 11lbs / 277lbs. I was also Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing with the guys and they were taping arms etc so I taped my right upper arm at 18.75-inches cold and the forearm at 15.5-inches.

Went back to unit and did

Low Row

20-kilos x 8 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 7 reps

I'm also due to do some gripper machine work later.

Tuesday pm @ Unit

Grip machine work

IM machine (2 hand)

40-kilos x 6 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 120-kilos x 6 reps, 135-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

Nicks machine (1 hand)

Weight does not inc loading pin

30-kilos x 6 reps, 40-kilos x 6 reps, 55-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

The range of motion on both is short and the aim is to get the handles to touch properly.

Thursday

Bench Press - cycle 2 pt 2

20-kilos e/s x 12 reps, 27.5-kilos e/s x 10 reps, 35-kilos e/s x 8 reps, 45-kilos e/s (110-kilos) x 7 reps

Leg Press

0-kilos x 12 reps @, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 570-kilos (mis-load was meant to 565-kilos) x 4 reps (could have done more - not sure on depth)

Pullover

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack plus 21.25-kilos x 7 reps Lats were being scraped by pads as I did reps yet, as below, bodyweight down today (has been up all week). Possibly thickening up due to bench and back work.

Bwt 19st 7lb???

Saturday

Grippers - light

usual warm ups

L/H: tried a 260ip (GGC prize item) but it felt harder than my BBGM so...

240ip x 8 x 2 reps

R/H: 3.5 x 8 x 1 reps (2 were VVN)

Dumbbells

Baby Inch w/up x 3 reps @ hand

L/H: 82.5-kilos x 4 x 1 plus 1 missed rep (1,1,1,1,0)

R/H: 100-kilos x 3 x 1 reps plus 3 missed reps (1,0,0,0,1,1)

Pallet drags

managed 5 in total and was too Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed to continue.

Can i come up and train next Friday again please Steve? Had a great session last time.

won what? never read the magazine

Buy one and find out you tight git... :whacked

I get a free magazine, a free t-shirt and there was talk of a 3-time winner maybe getting to write full time for the mag - it'd be $1000.00 a month I think - now that's sweet :D

definately

Can i come up and train next Friday again please Steve? Had a great session last time.

Tuesday or Thursday this week because on Saturday we're doing the Fire Engine pull and I may be doing a show in the afternoon. I'd wanna be fresh, not frazzled. :whacked

Last years pull was with what the local brigade called their fire safety tender. It could be used but was left to last. This years is a converted one now used as a limousine (www.partypump.co.uk) and is more likely to bring emergency champagne!

Monday (bank holiday)

2HP @ 44mm (20kg)

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 72.5-kilos (92.5-kilos total) x 3 touch and go reps (all with tape on). Took tape off and got 11 x 1 reps all solid. The last 10 singles were done between sets of bench and TPD (so each time I did a set I did a rep).

CG Bench

20-kilos a side x 12 reps (should have been 10), 27.5-kilos x 8 reps, 37.5-kilos x 8 reps, 47.5-kilos x 6 solid reps (see pinch)

TPD

42.5-kilos plus carriage x 5 x 8 reps (see pinch)

Also practiced part of my act for next week. I was up v early today and in town and back by just after 10-1030am 'ish. I picked up a long handled axe and with it at arms length lowered it to the face. It weighs 6lbs and so was easy. Then I did the double (6lb axe to face left hand and 7lb hammer to face right hand. Finally I did some work the other way where I lower it all the way over (v hard) bring it back and then lower it to the face. I can do it with fingers off as well as the whole hand. I must make it look hellishly dodgy (I'll make it look shaky) and sharp (might take some fruit to chop up).

Throughout the session I was on fire even to the point of feeling giddy a few times but having energy for everything.

It'll have to be next week then. I'm working afternoon and evening/night on tue/wed/thur.

Good luck with the truck pull.

Chances are i'll be working all day Saturday and Saturday night aswell. Can't make it, sorry mate.

Wednesday

Attended final meeting before Fayre. I'm apparently helping the new lady mayor in and out of the tender. Plus the route is a tad longer than before. I also banged out a few more emails and will be contacting some of the Gymnation lads before the weekend.

I'm also playing a part in the lunchtime show on BBC radio on Friday... me bottle has gone.

Grippers - heavy day

L/H: BBGM x 1a, 1a, VN, VVNa, VVN, VVN, VVNa and VVN

R/H: CoC 4 x Na, VNa, RB300 x VVN and x 1 rep, RB330 x 1, BBSE x VVN and VVN

Grip machine

Two handed IM

40, 80 and 120-kilos x 6 reps then 140 and 150-kilos x 1 rep each. Finally 160-kilos x 1 and then one almost touching rep

Single handed Nick's machine

30 and 40-kilos x 6 reps a hand and then 60-kilos x 1 rep - too big a jump.

dumbbell work

Will do this this afternoon

axe etc

Praticed with 7lb sledge to face both hands, 6lbs long handled axe to face for 3 reps a side then did a single rep with the axe in one hand and hammer in the other (placed my hands an equal distance down on handles-still looks good but easier and safer) both to the face.

Wednesday pm

was on the phone for ages (NSPCC's local publicity officer and Clare from local BBC radio) so got to the gym about 5.45pm

Dumbbell

forgot to warm up with baby inch. In fact as I've typed this I've only just remembered ha ha

L/H: 82.5-kilos 3 x 1 solid reps then nowt for the next three attempts.

R/H: 100-kilos (plate weight only) x 6 x 1 reps All good 'n' solid.

Sunday

Having had a couple of days rest prior to the Saturday charity work the day after I was in the gym. I was a little sluggish following yesterday but more so from the 6 pints of Guinness, an early night and a very early start - try washing up at 3.30am?? I did some errands then got another hour or twos rest.

Viking Press

equ x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 6 reps, 57.5-kilos x 6 reps

EZ Curls

bar + 20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 8 reps, plus 57.5-kilos x 6 reps (v hard more like 5 + 1)

Dips

bwt x 8 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps, plus 32.5-kilos x 6 reps

Tricep Pressdown

45-kilos x 4 x 8 reps (5 x 8 next time)

Let's start with the lead up. I was busy the last few days and stopped training Wednesday so as to have plenty of power to use come Saturday. The extra training, as per my logs elsewhere, consisted of dragging a loaded pallet (about 170-180 kilos) around our yard a lap at a time. I never seemed up to more than a lap at a time but did find that I was recovering quicker and quicker as time went on.

Thursday had me doing a telephone interview for the weekend bulletin on BBC Radio Gloucestershire as well as a bunch of emails and phone calls with the BBC radio team and NSPCC / Childline's rep to deal with. Friday I was up to One Eyed Jacks for the live radio interview and am pretty sure all got a mention. My other memory of the afternoon was me leaning further and further back as the microphone got ever closer to my mouth. For a moment I had visions of toppling over the wall I was sat on! I also made sure to check and set out everything needed for the following day (or so I thought - see later).

Come Saturday and as is want with these kind of things any planned schedule I had in mind went out of the window. I had been asked to do a 10am photo op which turned into a 1045 or later 'op'. Regardless I had someone take some photos of myself and little Hamza Atcha in case it all went belly up.

Talking of which... I had hoped and planned for 8 or 9 big healthy lads turning up but this quickly turned into 4 with us almost mugging poor Rod when we saw him at the event shortly before the procession kicked off. Mike (Whey Consortium), Alf (Gymnation), Malcolm (Gymnation) and myself (Whey Consortium) formed the main crew with Rod shoved in at the back. Various phone calls etc were made but we had no time to set others up as we wanted to. I was fairly sure we'd make it but not in the way I had wanted to.

Alan Myatt had rung at 9pm Friday and arranged with me to have us at the back, thus giving is the room to play with that we needed. Only a loud Samba band followed us (I think I still hear the beat now ha ha). The time to set off arrived and so we were away. As we'd pulled similar vehicles in the past we knew the problem was more the distance and any lumps and bumps we needed to get over. But, as Mike said over my shoulder half way up Eastgate Street, we could have passed the rest of the procession and arrived first. The biggest problem was stopping and restarting and the first hiccup came at a speed bump. We were all of five feet away and doing a dead start to get over it when what we'd need is a little of a run up.

However, although tough we all gave it the necessary welly and cracked on. The main road junction was as tough as I thought it would be put the next stretch was very easy only made hard by a stop and when we were ready to set off tender driver Tim Cox was handing out business cards... I think it was at this point we noticed poor Rod had dropped out. He trains but obviously not to the level of the guys pulling and found it very hard going. He rejoined us at the shopping centre only to be seen absolutely shagged out on a bench when we walked back.

My daughter Chanel, fiance Lee, Tania (Alf's other half), Julie, Ethan and Ashley (Mikes Mrs and children) were all doing their bit taking photos, shaking charity buckets and so on and are deserving of our thanks - cheers Guys and Gals. Two other young Gymnation lads helped at the very end - I didn't get their names - but their help was also gratefully received.

A quick natter with some faces in the crowd and a well deserved cool drink for those doing the pull itself and I had an hour or two before my show. 2.15 or so saw me towing a pallet laden with the tools for my act and around 2.45 I started to lay it out in readiness... so where were the wraps, where's the one hand lift handle??? Arrrgghhh!! With minutes to go Lee and Chanel popped back but came back with one or two bits but no handle or heavy chain (d'uh!). A quick word in the Compere Ian's ear and I'm legging it back myself. Thanks to one of the other entertainers and Ian's efforts they kept the crowd warm for me and I even ended up having to wait.

As some of the equipment would have come through the stage I stuck with street level and so, grabbing another Gymnation member as my less than glamorous assistent, I was able to do the close up work of nail bending (no good if you are up on stage). Lee showed how hard it was by barely getting one going whereas I did the business and ended up finishing it bare-handed. Onto a frying pan for the usual rolling up and then I dispatched 2 1000 plus page Argos brochures - as you do. Next up was the dangerous looking but relatively easy hammer and axe to the face and then the Inch dumbbell was rolled out and again Lee didn't budge it while I repped it out. I was fortunate enough to remember to do it three times to all three sides of the crowd.

Finally my 'assistent' and I set up the one hand lift bar, chain and handle and I cranked out 160+ kilos and a 215-kilos no probs. On went the belt, more weight and a little chalk and I did 671 lbs or 305-kilos easy as you like for the finale. With Ian working the crowd for me and a fairly quick pace it seemed to go well.

Onwards to next weeks plane pull...

Total is £617.00++

Thursday

bench press

20-kilos e/s x 10 reps, 27.5-kilos e/s x 8 reps, 37.5-kilos x 8 reps, 50-kilos e/s x 6 reps Not too bad but had to push through 5th and 6th reps.

leg press

0-kilos x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 570-kilos x 5 reps - could have been deeper on a few reps

pullover

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stk plus 21.25-kilos x 8 reps last set rough

Bwt down a few pounds. Eating well enough so...

Steve i wondered how difficult it would be to tear an argos catalouge. Have one here 1778 pages!! .... and the one hand lift!! Impressive!! mike

Hi MD, the ones I used are the very latest to come out - Autumn / Winter 2007 so I'll assume that they are the same 1778 page issues you mention. They are about the right thickness for me. I cannot do the same number of pages using a Yellow Pages directory because it's too thick for me at the mo. Last time I had a go I managed, I think, 1350 pages of a new book.

I was impressed by the one hand lift myself. I had not practiced it AT ALL since breaking the unofficial WR in May and felt good enough for at least the 330-kilos I did then. I don't have a photo but I've seen one and it came 4-inch off the floor. Doing the 305-kilo lift in public helps me a great deal because it was the end of my show and I'd have looked like a mug failing it. The only problem since has been a sore back and one sore trap - cos I only used my right hand. :whistel