Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

This media stuff is a piece of piss :tongue I was draped across my sofa recording an item for a local BBC radio news bulletin at about 3pm today. It was a short 20 seconds or so skit to go out promoting the airplane pull this weekend. We'd chatted at length so she could get down some questions and then she asked a few and then finally we did one where I kind of condensed it all into a few sentences. Easy. :yikes

Yesterday an airplane gets pulled (Avro RJ100 by our team) today in the gym...

Sunday

Grippers - light

L/H: 240ip x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. Then BBGM x VN, VVN, 0 (tried a set - was piss poor), 1.

R/H: BBSE x 1, VVN, 1, VN, VN, VVN

Dumbbell work

Weight is plates only

L/H: 82.5-kilos x 5 of 6 single attempts

R/H: 100-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

BWT on our scales was 271.4 which considering how Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing little I managed to eat yesterday is a bloody miracle

Steve can you still lift the Millennium DB? or do you have to train for it before you can?

Also another question, how much training did it take to lift the Inch, then how much more training did it take to lift the Millennium? Just curious.

Right now I don't know because I haven't tried recently. I did have a session with Dunkster and the lads here where I did 5 or 6 singles in one evening session (mentioned a few months back in the log). I'm concentrating on the dumbbell work so as to do an attempt at all 4 bells one after another (53, 78, 97 and 103-kilos).

The Inch took about 12 months and the MDB a little less.

Tuesday

2HP @ 44mm

usual faffing about on set up (collars broken and bar a little bent)

90-kilos was easy, 93.75-kilos (as per plan) was very touch n' go. So dropped to 93-kilos x 1, 1, 1, 0, 1/2 and so stopped. All were v rough

CG Bench Press

20-kilos x 10 reps, 27.5-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 8 reps**, 52.5-kilos x 4 reps*, plus 6 x 1 reps

** not sure if this took the edge of the next sets work * should have been 6 reps

Tricep Pressdown

45-kilos x 5 x 8 reps

Bwt on unit scales 272.6lbs

Photos.

The first is the small crew we had to pull the fire engine. Obviously taken before we left as we still look fresh. Towards the end Rod was replaced by one of the younger Gymnation lads. I have a great photo in which you can see just how badly Rod was suffering (poor sod).

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1733/fi...crew2007ky5.jpg

L-R Malcolm (GN and with his son), Rod, myself, Alf (GN and laughing away) and Mike

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5919/fi...pull2007ar0.jpg

In the next we are off down Barton Street. Note how high the rope is. Ideally you want it the same height as the fixing point but that was 2 feet off the ground so...

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5424/pl...crew2007uk7.jpg

Then we have the crew at Kemble. Included was James from CTS without who's help it would not have taken place. L-R is James and staff member from CTS, Carl (whey) Anthony (whey), Mike Smith (from Mick Harts' No Bull crew - coughed up blood after from his chest condition), Mike Betty (whey), Neville (in back and from Gymnation), Harry Shahlaei (whey), Tony Smith (from and gymnation), Laurence Shahlaie (whey), Malcolms son (front), me (whey), Maclom (gymnation) and Alf Squires (gymnation)

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2226/mockpullwa8.jpg

Finally we have a mocked up photo of the pull. In reality every single one of us was facing away and working like dogs to get it done. But then you'd not see how handsome we all are :)

Cool photos! I imagine that was mighty tough goings!

The fire engine is easy enough to move - it's a killer over 1km. The plane was just awful as we had a slight upward hill (1 or 2 degrees but still) and weighed 32-33 tonnes. I had discussed various ideas of races etc - went right out as soon as we nigh on killed ourselves with the first drag.

Thursday

Grippers - heavy

Was NOT 'in the zone' today with grippers

L/H: GM x 7 x various attempts - assisted or otherwise

R/H: BBSE x 3 as above and then CoC 4 x 4 x 1/4" etc as above.

Dumbbells

L/H: 82.5-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

R/H: 102.5-kilos x 5 x 1 reps

grip machine

Two hand

40, 80 and 120-kilos x 6 reps

140, 145, 150, 155-kilos x 1 rep, then 162.5-kilos x 3 attempts (a little too much and just short)

One hand

each hand to 57.5-kilos x 3 attempts but did not feel solid.

Could always be better

Saturday

Viking Press

equ (eqv to 30-kilos) x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 8 reps, plus 60-kilos (90) x 3 strict and 2 push-press reps - v happy with this

EZ Curls

bar (about 18lbs) x 8 reps, plus 20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 8 reps, plus 60-kilos x 6 loose reps - still good n happy with this

Dips

usual faffing about on set up then

bwt x 8 reps, plus 10-kilos x 8 reps, plus 32.5-kilos x 7 reps (last rep hard)

Tricep Pressdown

47.5-kilos x 8, x 8, x 7 reps... and I was done!

Bwt 272.1lbs (ate pizza last night and felt full, strong etc today - still have shoulder pain though)

Steve

You have built that level of hand strength and only just started using a grip machine,great stuff ,just think how much your crush will improve once youve spent some time with this machine , looks like the number 4 in some serious danger then

Mark

Don't forget it is a short range movement on both machines to help with the closes.

Monday

Ouch, ouch, ouch! My old man stiff back is here today. While I am moving around it took the edge of my workout today so was piss poor. I should and hopefully will take the rest of the week off but stretch and walk it out everyday. I haven't had a rest from weight training of all kinds per se for yonks so maybe it's time.

I suspect it was the mad Saturday session we had at the weekend at the yard followed by more or less sweet flabbergastenpoopy all all day (as in the only 'work' was going to the shop for the paper) on Sunday

Grippers

240ip x multiple doubles

CoC 3.5 x 6-8 attempts

V-Bar

Could only go to 105 right and nothing left due to back strain / twinge.

Saturday

First day back after week off and me hungry!

CG Bench

Took it relatively easy in terms of reps etc and so:

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 30-kilos e/s x 4 reps, 40-kilos e/s x 1 rep, 45-kilos e/s x 1 rep, 50-kilos e/s x 1 rep 55-kilos e/s x 1 rep, 60-kilos e/s x 1 rep

For a change of pace tried some partials. All now from hole 11 in rack

40-kilos e/s x 3 rep, 50-kilos e/s x 3 rep, 60-kilos e/s x 3 rep and 70-kilos e/s (160) x 3 reps

2HP @ 44mm

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 12 x 1 reps (actually did 13 but one missed and took a few reps to get 'groove greased'.

Bwt 271.8lbs

Monday

Got very behind today - very. So trained a lot later than usual and am playing catch up on everything else. As I'm just back I held back a teeny bit

Grippers - heavy

L/H: GM x 6 x 1A (a = assisted) reps

R/H: CoC 3.5 x 1, VVN, 1, 1, VVN, 1 reps

Dumbbells

L/H: 82.5-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

R/H: 105-kilos x 3 x 1 reps

Grip machines

2H: 40-kilos x 6 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 120-kilos x 6 reps, 155-kilos x 3 x 1 reps (all hard)

1H: 30-kilos x 6 reps, 40-kilos x 6 reps, 57.5-kilos x 0 and dropped to 50-kilos but was done for the day

Wednesday

Held back as a break back in session.

V. Press

Equ x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 6 reps, plus 60-kilos x 4 reps

EZ Curl

+20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 35-kilos x 6 reps, plus 60-kilos x 4 reps

Dips

bwt x 8 reps, 10-kilos (on loading pin as still no chain) x 6 reps. tried plus 30-kilo but not happening (pin weighs 8lbs)

Tricep Pressdown

40-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 8 reps, 50-kilos x 8 reps (hard)

Steve,

about your gripper training, i see that you do 6 heavy attempts with one gripper and no more. Do you think that it's ok to your progress? Why don´t you train negatives, holds....?

I will be giving it a go but in fairness I have never needed to in order to do well on grippers. :rock

Friday

Grippers - volume

L/H: 7 attempts (6 great and 1 just off) x RB 240ip - could have done more

R/H: CoC 3.5 x 5 x 1 no problem

Leg Ext

Felt like doing this - shit for giggles.

90-kilos x 6 reps (both legs)

90-kilos x 6 right leg

70-kilos x 6 left leg

90-kilos x 6 right leg

80-kilos x 6 left leg

V-Bar

45 x 3 reps then, 75, 90, 105, 120 - kilos x 1 rep each. Up to 150 but missed, dropped to 145 also missed and then 1 rep each hand x 140-kilos

Tricep pressddown

Stack x 8 reps, plus 15-kilos x 8 reps, plus 25-kilos x 8 reps

big difference on this machine to one at our unit - huge

Bwt: 19st 9lbs (275lbs)

Friday pm

Decided to work on my bench and so did.

CG Bench Press

20-kilos a side x 6 reps, 35-kilos a side x 4 reps, 60-kilos a side x 3 x 1 reps

Partials (H11 as before)

60-kilos a side x 1 rep, 70-kilos a side x 1 rep, 80-kilos a side (180) x 1 rep, 90-kilos a side x too bloody much ha ha