40 mins of pool swimming intervals

07/02/11

1 hr of outrigger canoeing - beautiful day on the river

Handstands/walk on hands, 100 pullups (GTG style) and a 300 yard swim in 6:01

07/04/11

Outrigger canoeing - 7.18 miles in 1 hr 14 mins - what an awesome morning

50 pullups at work (gtg) and a 300 yard swim

07/05/11

54 mins on the mtn bike - 50 mins of lagoon swimming & paddling - 24 mins on the mtn bike

07/06/11

Hiked as far up Yokum Ridge as we could (snowed out) - 5.5 hrs of hiking

07/07/11

10.73 mile bike ride (41:59) - 10.87 mile outrigger paddle (1:52:46) - 9.59 mile bike home in 37:08

Fun adventure today - lots of work

07/08/11

50 mins of pool swimming intervals

Afternoon medley - Handstands/walk on hands/one arm handstands against the wall, 25 ring chins, 25 hangboard pullups and a few KB snatches (32kg & 40kg x 5's)

07/09/11

48 mins of running (mostly track running)

Ran down to the HS track and ran 3 x 800 intervals w/the girlfriend - last one was a 6:40 mile pace. Its hard to believe that I ran an 18:50 "3 miler" when I was a young Marine.

07/11/11

AM - 50 mins of outrigger paddling, 50 pullups & handstands

During the day - 25 pullups, handstands, 200 rows & 200 pushups

07/13/11

Hiked Nesmith Point w/a 25-30lb pack - 4.9 miles to the top and 3800' of climbing.

Mt. Defiance is next - 5.1 miles to the top and 4900' of climbing - hardest hike in the Columbia Gorge. I feel blessed for all the cool stuff we have here in the pacific northwest

07/14/11

49 mins on the bike

38 mins in the pool

250 reps ea hand on the G-Rex

Good amount of stretching (grease the groove style

07/16/11

Outrigger paddling - ran a 4 mile course for time - 37:29 - good, hard paddle - no idea if its a good time or not.

Also did three hours of rowing some rapids at work

07/18/11

Driftboat row (for exercise, not fishing) - 3.34 miles in 54:47

wow - push stroking a driftboat for an hour is a badass workout!

07/19/11

BW - 248

1 hr 12 mins of outrigger paddling

Bike ride - 15.75 miles in 52:09 (18.1 mph avg) - good, hard ride

Finally hit the 240's :mosher

07/20/11

Lawn mower circuits - pullups, walk on hands and one arm handstand work (against a wall)

07/21/11

Outrigger paddling - 7.19 miles in 1hr 14 mins

1hr 1min road run

Congratulations on being sub-250.

One question: with all the swimming, biking, jogging.... are you losing mostly fat, or muscle? (Or both?). I mean, is a response evident looking at pictures or the mirror?

Or perhaps, more importantly, I should ask: how has your strength in the main lifts changed? Can you still deadlift, suitcase style, two 275# barbells, one in each hand, like I remember seeing you do in an old video? Is your sandbag overhead press ability still there or remotely close?

Just curious. I know you're so strong you can slim down to 140# and still be stronger than the average guy (LOL), but I'm curious as to what percentage of your strength you're retaining with so much "cardio" that you do.

Well, I'm sure I've lost strength in some things as I dont do them anymore (powerlifting, grip, etc). But, I'm as strong or quite a bit stronger in things I used to do heavy and still do now - KB snatching, handstands, pullups, etc. Absolute strength isnt that important to me now as it doesn't do anybody any good to be strong as hell but unable to move, run, jump, swim, climb, punch, roll, etc. Mobility and athleticism are more important to me as I'm almost 42 years old now and want to be doing this stuff when I'm 72 and on - being 250+ isnt going to help that. When I'm down to the 220-230 range I'll take a look at the whole picture and see whats up.

Well, I'm sure I've lost strength in some things as I dont do them anymore (powerlifting, grip, etc). But, I'm as strong or quite a bit stronger in things I used to do heavy and still do now - KB snatching, handstands, pullups, etc. Absolute strength isnt that important to me now as it doesn't do anybody any good to be strong as hell but unable to move, run, jump, swim, climb, punch, roll, etc. Mobility and athleticism are more important to me as I'm almost 42 years old now and want to be doing this stuff when I'm 72 and on - being 250+ isnt going to help that. When I'm down to the 220-230 range I'll take a look at the whole picture and see whats up.

I TOTALLY agree. Don't get me wrong. I agree 100% with you. There sure seem to be many "dinasours" training in their gyms posting youtube lifts that are very respectable.... but many of these very strong folks seem to ONLY care about max strength. They don't mind a HUGE belly and their inability to even play catch with their kids without getting out of breath. I'm not saying they are ALL like this, but some really are in need of exactly what you said: mobility and athleticism. So it's awesome that you're getting plenty of that.

However I'm still curious as to just HOW much strength you've dropped. Although it would be unfair to just test yourself one day and compare numbers, because as you said, you're not training many of those lifts. But still I suspect your untrained numbers will be way above average :)

I TOTALLY agree. Don't get me wrong. I agree 100% with you. There sure seem to be many "dinasours" training in their gyms posting youtube lifts that are very respectable.... but many of these very strong folks seem to ONLY care about max strength. They don't mind a HUGE belly and their inability to even play catch with their kids without getting out of breath. I'm not saying they are ALL like this, but some really are in need of exactly what you said: mobility and athleticism. So it's awesome that you're getting plenty of that.

However I'm still curious as to just HOW much strength you've dropped. Although it would be unfair to just test yourself one day and compare numbers, because as you said, you're not training many of those lifts. But still I suspect your untrained numbers will be way above average :)

I agree man. I've also found that massive amounts of protein are way overrated. I try to eat a little protein with ea meal, but nothing close to 1x to 2x bodyweight a lot of the strength and bodybuilding sites suggest. In fact, most of my diet is vegetarian based and I haven't lost much of any muscle mass (which is why I'm having such a hard time reducing my body mass).

07/22/11

31 mins of pool swimming intervals

Tree cutting, handstands/walk on hands and pullups - lots of them

I agree with the protein thing too. No matter how many studies I read, forums I check, blogs and "guru's" opinions.... the exact amount of protein needed to maintain muscle mass is still a very varied answer.

Funnily enough in the crossfit community they say 0.7grams per pound of LEAN body mass (not total bodyweight). This results in a much lower number than the "2grams pero pound of BW" thrown around in other sites.

Tree cutting? Sounds like a fun workout! :rock

07/24/11

Driftboat row - 3 miles in 1hr 6 mins (push & pull strokes towing a driftboat sock) and a 400 yard lagoon swim

900 yard lagoon swim

07/25/11

A little swimming at work

07/26/11

Driftboat row - 6.28 miles in 1hr 52mins - rowed upstream to High Rocks then out to the Willamette and upstream to the falls and back

400 yard swim (after rowing)

Handstands and a few pullups