Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of trail running, hiking, indoor swimming and calethenics. Also started back up with the winter boxing.

Ran (well ended up being a speed hike - lol) Angels Nest Trail yesterday - 2.3 miles to the summit and 1600+ feet of climbing. Ran the first 1/4 mile or so then figured out there wasnt gonna be any flats to recover on. Made it to the summit in 40 mins and back down in 28 mins carrying a 20lb hydration pack and some survival stuff.

Lookin really solid, and agreed, trail running is addictive.

Thanks for the comments - slow, but still making gains. I have been stuck in the 255-260lb range for quite a while now, not sure if its just a plateau or what - keep trucking.

10/27/10

Hiked Angels Nest Trail again - I like this one.

10/28/10

Barefoot (VFF Sport Treks) trail run - 1:16:39 - 1339 feet of climbing

Bodyweight circuits - walk on hands, pullups, parallette bar walking

40 mins of swimming (20 mins of intervals, 20 mins of treading water with hand paddles and short fins)

I got the new VFF Sport Treks today - definately my favorite. They're basically a heavy duty Bikila upper with the full vibram lugged sole of the KSO Trek. They offer the most foot protection of the lot, which I like. I broke them in today on some hard pack, rocky, muddy trails in the rain. My feet were wet and a tad cold, but nothing I couldn't stand another hour or so in. Its only about 50 degrees or so, so its not that cold yet. They probably wont work when it gets much colder. Also, I've confirmed that my cyclo Garmin computer is pretty inaccurate on the trails while running. Its better when you walk, but shorts me quite a bit when I run so I just aint gonna worry about distance. I may look into a better unit next year as backpacking and hiking are gonna take off for me.

Edited by maidenfan

10/01/10

Lots of handstands/walk on hands and pullup variations

45 mins of treading water with hand paddles and short fins

• 2 weeks later...

Still doing lots of calesthenics, mtb biking, etc. Since the bad weather started I've added more Concept 2 rowing and indoor swimming. I'm going to start doing some water polo training and focus more on crossfit style round based training for a while. I'm still losing body fat and weighed in at a low 250's the other day.

• 2 weeks later...

11/23/10

Bodyweight circuits w/a 20lb vest - 5 HSPU, 10 pullups, 15 pushups, 10 ring rows, 500m concept 2 row x 3 rounds + 50 more pullups w/o the vest

Swimming - 25 mins hard lap intervals & 15 mins of treading water w/short fins and paddles (alternating hands only and legs only)

11/23/10

Bodyweight circuits w/a 20lb vest - 5 HSPU, 10 pullups, 15 pushups, 10 ring rows, 500m concept 2 row x 3 rounds + 50 more pullups w/o the vest

Swimming - 25 mins hard lap intervals & 15 mins of treading water w/short fins and paddles (alternating hands only and legs only)

Whew, great workout we got here

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man, I feel better when I do a crossfit style workout like that

12/1/10

Long walk (sprint the hills - short to long) - 3 or 4 miles

12/2/10

Bodyweight circuit #1 w/25lb vest on - HSPU x 5, pullup x 5, dip x 10, parallette bar row x 10 - 5 rounds in 20 mins

Bodyweight Circuit #2 - 4way Neck x 80 reps & Double KB Snatches w/24kg KB's x 10 - 2 rounds no rest

Short and sweet - I forgot how much you use the hamstrings to get those bells overhead - feels good.

Meal of the Day: Omelette (3 eggs/6 whites), onions, spinach & a large glass of fresh squeeze OJ

12-4-10

Bodyweight circuit (12' walk on hands followed by 5 x pullups) x 15 (throughout the day - total 180' walk on hands & 75 pu)

Treadmill intervals

• 2 weeks later...

12/14/10

AM Session

Tabata - treadmill running at elevation

Sandbag shoulder & squat (200lb bag)

DB hang snatch & 30 mins of treadmill intervals (walking at elevation)

PM Session

7 x 3 min boxing rounds (30 sec rest between rounds)

15 mins of treadmill walking (elevation 10+)

Been boxing a bit harder the last few sessions - the more I do it the more I realize how much of an art it really is. I've started back with the 1 big meal a day (I really never left, just more strict now) and its mainly stews w/fresh fish or burger and lot of veggies, wild rice and quinoa. My workouts will be more crossfit in a way as I want to really do a bunch of different stuff vs just lots of pullups and handstands ea day. Everything hard and fast.

Work is considering a wellness program based on CrossFit so a few of us got to attend an intro 3 hr class w/a workout at the end. I got some good pointers on my pushpress, jerk and overhead squat (much needed). I also found out I'm halfway decent on the Concept 2 rower (sprint distance) as I was able to pull off a 1:19 500m pace and get a 500m row into the 1:20's. I didnt realize how much technique is involved in rowing like that. I've got a few new goals on the rower now (sub 1:20 500m and a sub 3:00 1000m). Well see how that goes.

Heavy Bag rounds, 4way neck, light squating & lots of heavy work on the one arm KB Snatch (worked up to sets of 5 w/the 48kg bell). Been a while since I've had an angry garage gym workout like that - felt good.

12/21/10

AM - Road bike ride - 1:34:52

PM - Short 15 min workout - 2 sets 4way Neck & lots of 1 arm KB snatches - 48kg x 50 (25 ea arm, sets of 2 and 3) - Solid, intense workout

PM - 32 mins of swimming intervals

12/23/10

Road bike ride - 1:07:38

Swimming - 50m & 100m hard intervals - 30-45 sec rest - 30 mins total - suprisingly hard workout

12/26/10

Concept 2 Rower - 200m all out sprints x 10 (2 mins rest between rounds) - Hit a 1:17 500m pace (pr), avg'd 1:24 for all 10 rounds

Took this workout off a rugby site - pretty standard sprint workout but it sure works that VO2

12/27/10

5 x 3 min boxing rounds w/a buddy (30 sec rest between rounds)

5 mins of sandbag wrestling w/a 200lb bag

15 mins of elliptical intervals

Picking up a 200lb sandbag and doing whatever with it for 5 mins straight really tests a persons fitness and strength and their willingness to improve themselves - having a workout partner is pretty important for these kind of workouts.

Havent done any hardcore grip work in the last year or so (almost two?). I do keep an Ivanko Supergripper in my work truck and two of the rubber donuts from black diamond which I used from time to time. Anyway, I broke out a 60d nail and bent it up pretty dang easy today at work (IM wraps and didnt cut the head or point off). I should start doing some more gripping - it was fun chasing Clay in the Gripomaniac online contest.

12/29/10

AM - Rowing - 2 x 1000m (3:20's & 3:30's respectively - didnt write them down), 750m x 1 (2:21) and a 500m x 1 (1:29.2) - 2 - 3 mins rest between rows. Badass workout - made me feel like a champion.

Noon - 30 mins of hard swimming intervals & 4way neck work

PM - 3 x 5 min boxing rounds with a buddy (1 min rest between rounds) & 1 round of Tabata bodyweight squats - fun but hard.

We've been doing 3 min rounds w/shorter rest periods but decided to do some long 5min mma style boxing rounds - tuff

Concept 2 - 1 x 500m @ 1:48avg warmup, 8 x 100m (40 sec rest between rounds - 15.9 sec best & hit a 1:16 avg PR), 10 x 30 second rows (90 sec rest between rounds - 185m best distance).

Did 3 hours of snowshoeing (pretty much all ascending) the other day - awesome time - probably my new winter sport.

01/03/10

Sandbag intervals (200lb bag - pushing, carry overhead, shoulders - as many as I can in 5 mins - rest only when absolutely necessary) - pushing a big sandbag on carpet is quite a workout - gotta stay low to keep it moving.

1 arm DB snatching - 100lb db - as many as I can in 5 mins

40 mins of hard treadmill intervals.

How many times did you snatch the 100# in 5 minutes?

Looking strong. Would be cool to see you back at grip though!

How many times did you snatch the 100# in 5 minutes?

Looking strong. Would be cool to see you back at grip though!

Dunno, didnt count - not many, was tired. I have neglected focused grip training, thanks for the reminder.

01/06/10

Noon:

Sandbag bear hug squats (200lb bag), DB benchpress/row circuit (100lb DB)

30 mins hard treadmill intervals (10 pullups every ten mins)

1:10:12 on the road bike

PM:

4 x 3 min boxing rounds (45 sec rest between rounds), 15 mins stairmaister - boxed hard tonight - tired

01/10/11

KB snatching, 4way neck work, 20 mins stairmaster intervals, DB bench/thickbar row circuit & 50 snatches w/a 100lb DB

01/11/11

Sandbag bearhug & shoulder squats (200lb bag), deadlifts, pullups & 25 mins of stairmaster intervals

01/12/11

Swimming - 50m sprints (1 min rest between sets) x 30 mins

01/13/11

4way neck work and 2 x 60min BJJ classes (mobility magic - wow - definately a young man sport)