Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

02/04/10

BW - 260 flat - lowest I've been since this whole ordeal started - keep truckin

90 min bike ride (upper moderate pace - kept spinning pretty hard)

5 x 3 min boxing rounds (15 sec rest) - forgot my headgear so we stood in a bit closer and worked on defense - good workout though

Treadmill hill sprint intervals

I finally got my bike. I've owned several, but this one was a no compromise for rider comfort - spent a lot of time test riding. I got a 5" travel full suspension, sorta do it all type bike, slapped some commuter tires on it and locked out the suspension (still have a little), put some risers and a comfy seat and did 90 mins today with no discomfort at all - I'm never been so stoked about a piece of gear or a new workout - this is going to be fun.

02/06/10

Bike ride - 17.1 miles (paved, couple of good hills) in 1.19:26, avg 12.9 mph

Bodyweight circuits (upper body focus - legs shot from ride) - handstands, hspu, pullups/chins, tucked planche work, pushups, ring rows

Double KB swipes & press combos - sets of 10 w/the 24's

The next time I ride the route it'll be a lot faster (took some exploring to figure out where I was going). I lucked out as Portland is about as bike friendly as it gets.

02/09/10

Bike ride - 23.95 miles in 1.39.38, avg 14.3 mph

6 x 3 min boxing rounds (15 sec rest between rounds - 3/4 speed)

Bodyweight circuits (hspu/pullups/pushups/rows) x 3 rounds (20-30 sec rest between rounds)

02/10/10

5 x 3 min boxing rounds (15 sec rest)

Treadmill sprint intervals

02/12/10

6 x 3 min boxing rounds (1st 2 - 15 sec rest, rest - 45 sec rest between rounds)

lots of bodyweight circuits - hspu/handstands, pullups, ring pushups/dips/rows, deck squats

Run 1 mile @ lvl 2 in 8:50 on the treadmill

More bodyweight intervals

I've been doing a lot sprints on the treadmill, but tonight was my first longer run - felt pretty good. I'm looking forward to longer and faster runs.

Good meal tonight:

Breakfast steak marinated in garlic & hoisin sauce, fresh pico del gallo w/lots of avocado and lime, celery w/fresh ground p. butter, an orange and a glass of red wine

02/13/10

Bodyweight intervals (run for 2 mins on treadmill @ 7.5 mph/lvl 2, max set chins/ring dips/ring rows/ring tri ext) x 4 rounds (30 sec rest between rounds)

Was going for five rounds - wussed out - still a decent workout. I've been seeing a girl who was a state college basketball and volleyball player that's motivated me to kick this up a notch or two more. She's in fantastic shape - I want to be better. She challenged me to a decathalon of our choosing - first event is going to be tennis - we'll see how that turns out.

02/15/10

stretching/core work

6 x 3 min boxing rounds (30 sec rest)

Double KB swipes/snatch/press combos

Bodyweight circuit (ring rows, ring pushup/extensions)

02/16/10

"GTG" HSPU, ring rows, pushups, ring extensions

15 mins treadmill running (lvl 1-3 @ 7-7.5 mph)

KB snatches

3 x 4 min boxing rounds (fresh guy at the 2 min mark), 1 x 2 min boxing round - 2 mins rest between rounds

walk on hands practice and a few pullups

02/17/10

Bike ride - 19.51 miles in 1.24:04 - 13.9 mph avg

Handstand practice, pullups/chins, pushups, ring rows

G-Rex

Edited by maidenfan

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you touched a gripper?

Its been a while - I'm pretty regular on the G-Rex (sqeezing and pinching), just dont post it much.

02/22/10

Bike ride - 32.45 miles in 2.15:43 - avg 14.3 mph

Took a few days off - ride felt good

Edited by maidenfan

Its been a while - I'm pretty regular on the G-Rex (sqeezing and pinching), just dont post it much.

02/22/10

Morgan, weren't you one of the few to be a full blown Grippermaniac? mosher.gif

02/22/10

Yeah, me and Clay. He was the only one to get a trophy though. Although it was a good accomplishment for me, most of those events are fairly commonplace now amoungst the gripboard crew.

2/23/10

HSPU & Ring Rows circuits at home

4 rounds of boxing and 1 round of wrestling

Almost scored my first knockout tonight - my normal boxing partner and I dont go too hard and respect each others abilities, but we've had some new guys showing up. I lost my headgear so the new guy tonight decided to not wear his (to be fair). He, a lot like me when I was new, was very spazzy and flinchy with his punches. I gave him a few jabs, but he just kept flailing away. I suggested he put his headgear on to which he agreed. We dont normally throw too many non-jab punches as we dont want to hurt each other, but he got one tonight, and it was sorta weird watching a guy dance around in one spot trying to keep his balance, with his eyes rolled back in his head. He was a trooper though and continued on the with the spazzing out after a 30 second rest. He had a decent jab, but I'll just come out and say that he plain out sucked as a wrestler. Anyway, fun night.

MOD: Huge veggie salad (shredded broccoli, avocado, tomatoes, sweet onions, chopped jalapenos, carrots, cabbage, almonds, mushrooms, olives, beans, corn, olive oil & balsamic vinegar), fresh boiled beets and some breakfast steak marinated in hoisin sauce - fantastic meal.

2/26/10

Bodyweight Circuit (handstand push-ups, ring rows, ring extensions, 500m sprint on the Concept 2 Rower) x 3 rounds - 2 min rest between rounds - 1.39/1.39/1.37 500m times

Always regretted selling the Concept 2 - spent my tax return today on a new one - prob the best cardio I've ever done.

02/22/10

Yeah, me and Clay. He was the only one to get a trophy though. Although it was a good accomplishment for me, most of those events are fairly commonplace now amoungst the gripboard crew.

2/23/10

HSPU & Ring Rows circuits at home

4 rounds of boxing and 1 round of wrestling

Almost scored my first knockout tonight - my normal boxing partner and I dont go too hard and respect each others abilities, but we've had some new guys showing up. I lost my headgear so the new guy tonight decided to not wear his (to be fair). He, a lot like me when I was new, was very spazzy and flinchy with his punches. I gave him a few jabs, but he just kept flailing away. I suggested he put his headgear on to which he agreed. We dont normally throw too many non-jab punches as we dont want to hurt each other, but he got one tonight, and it was sorta weird watching a guy dance around in one spot trying to keep his balance, with his eyes rolled back in his head. He was a trooper though and continued on the with the spazzing out after a 30 second rest. He had a decent jab, but I'll just come out and say that he plain out sucked as a wrestler. Anyway, fun night.

MOD: Huge veggie salad (shredded broccoli, avocado, tomatoes, sweet onions, chopped jalapenos, carrots, cabbage, almonds, mushrooms, olives, beans, corn, olive oil & balsamic vinegar), fresh boiled beets and some breakfast steak marinated in hoisin sauce - fantastic meal.

Haha I've been on both the giving and recieving end of a stiff punch like that a time or two. When ya get rocked like that it takes everything ya got just to stay on your feet and its like your mind is tellin u to just go to sleep.

03/04/10

GTG w/bodyweight circuits - handstands/hspu/close-grip hspu (wicked exercise), pullups/chins/v-bar pullups & chins/L-Sit pullups/chins, ring pushups, ring rows, ring dips, pistols, G-Rex

Concept 2 Rower - 5000m in 18:11 - 1382 cals per hr avg. One of the hardest workouts I've ever done

Swimming - 50m, 100m, 100m pull buoy & 50m kickboard intervals, sculling w/paddles

Heavy bag striking - 5 x 3 min rounds (45 sec rest between rounds), 8 mins of treadmill intervals

Four workouts today - spread out throughout the day. Productive day - wish I had time like this everyday.

03/05/10

BW - 261

25 mins of hill running

Bodyweight circuits (handstand pushups, close grip handstand pushups, pullups/chins, elevated ring pushups/flys, ring rowing, leg raises)

The Vibram 5's didnt work for me so I bought a pair of the Nike Free's - impressed so far - kind of like a barefoot shoe mid-foot forward with some arch/heel support - very light and comfy. These are verson 5's, which I know differ from the others. I normally have some hip and knee pain - dont tonight.

03/07/10

Bodyweight Circuits x 4 rounds (1 min rest between rounds) - hspu, close grip hspu, variations of pullups and chins

31 mins of hill running intervals

03/09/10

W1 - Bike ride - 29.35 miles in 1.57.03 - 15.0 mph avg - best ride so far

W2 - 45 mins of boxing

MoD: Shredded broccoli salad w/avocado, red onions, tomato, carrots, cabbage, cilantro, jalapenos, celery, olives, olive oils, balsamic vinegar & 6oz organic burger. Fresh asparagus w/a tab of real butter and sea salt. Washed down with a Stella - good meal

03/10/10

W1 - Bodyweight circuits - handstands, hspu, close grip hspu, pullups/chins, elevated ring pushups, ring rows, dips, leg raises. Double KB thrusters - 24's & 32's

W2 - 45 mins of boxing

03/11/10

W1 - Bodyweight circuits - elevated ring pushups & rows, handstands, hspu, closegrip hspu (partials), ring pullups, pullups, v-bar pullups, v-bar chins & one leg squats - 4 rounds @ ~1-2 mins rest between rounds - max reps ea exercise

W2 - 30 mins of swimming - 50 & 100m sprints, 50m kickboard, 100m pull buoy, sculling w/paddles

W3 - 20 mins of boxing - tired, need a day or two off.

MoD (good meal tonight) - Huge veggie salad w/broccoli, kale, carrots, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, avocados, radish, swiss cheese and balsamic vinegar. 6oz of organic, grass-fed 10% burger cooked in balsamic vinegar & garlic (mmmm), orange beets w/butter and sea salt and 2 x Lagunitas Maximus IPA's (great, hoppy beer).

I haven't really been following this blog too closely, Morgan, but it looks like over the past couple of years you've de-emphasized the heavy, powerlifting type training and focus more now on fitness. Probably better for you in the long run, but I enjoyed your strength videos when you were posting them.

I haven't really been following this blog too closely, Morgan, but it looks like over the past couple of years you've de-emphasized the heavy, powerlifting type training and focus more now on fitness. Probably better for you in the long run, but I enjoyed your strength videos when you were posting them.

Yeah, you're right. I turned 40 last Dec and really want to prepare my body for the rest of my life - I enjoy being athletic more than being fat and strong right now. I'll post another video when I can do a one arm handstand.

03/14/10

Bike ride - 20.06 miles in 1.21.06 - 14.8 mph avg. Shorter ride, but good, rolling hills.

PWM - Slice of Daves Killer Bread, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/2 cup wild rice & lentils, 1 liter of water.

W2 - lots of bodyweight circuits - pullups/chins, handstands, dips, elevated ring pushups, ring rows, leg raises.

I was eating "TONS" of greens and not a lot of complex carbs and paid the price with gas and not sleeping very good. I started adding some wild rice and quinoa back into my evening meals and voila, good sleep is back.

03/18/10

Lots of bodyweight stuff the last few days. I've also been taking a rope rescue class the last week and have been doing a lot of climbing with ascenders and an etrier (foot straps made out of webbing) - badass workout (so much so I went and bought some at REI and attached them to my manila rope to do one leg squats on).

03/19/10

3.96 mile run in 38:01 (wow, just a TAD slower than my USMC running days - was 60lbs lighter and 20 years younger though)

03/20/10

Rope climbing

Hang board walking (what I call it anyway - hang from my hang board, switch one hand to another hold then do another pullup, so on - feet cant touch the ground from beginning to end)

Practice free standing HSPU - I can do 1/2 reps now and then - balance and the fact my shoulders and arms tire fast on these makes them very difficult

Hammer Strength 4way neck

Rope walking - start in the standing position, lower yourself hand over hand until your back is just touching the ground, doing a full row ea hand switch - up and down until you can do anymore - good exercise

Portland Stone (97lb river rock) toss and carry - pick up and two hand heave, continue for 50', carry back and repeat until tired (not long)

PWM - plain yogurt, almonds, raw oats, whey, diced orange

2:00pm meal - Roasted turkey, avocaco w/lime and garlic, fresh pineapple

Man, what a nice day - summer is coming boys!

I don't know how but I made a mistake and typed a reply in Mobster's log, saying that a freestanding HSPU at your BW would be pretty cool. And asking how many can you do with your feet on the wall?