Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

06/02/09

Jump Rope - 2 x 5 min rounds

4way Neck x 2 sets

Front Squat - 225 x 5, 275 x 1, 295 x 1 x 5 sets

Power Rail HSPU x 1 x 2 sets + negative (sucked big time on these today)

Alternate Grip Pullups - B x 2, B x 4

V-Bar Pullups - B x 8

Double KB Sumo DL (standing on 13" blocks) - 48's x 5

V-Chins - B x 10

Felt like crap today - body is sore. I also cut my jump rope too short so that didnt work so well either. On a good note, I'm getting a few new AKC KB's today - pair of 36's and a single 40. I've got a pair of 24's and a pair of 28's on the way - I really like the AKC style bells.

06/03/09

Jump Rope x 5 mins (need a new one, I cut mine too short - painful to skip with)

KB Clean & Jerk practice - 32 x 10

Double KB Clean & Military Press (clean ea rep) - 32's x 5, 36's x 5, 48's x 2 (very hard)

Double KB Snatch - 32's x 5, 36's x 5, 32's x 5 + 2 OHS x 2 sets (32's are starting to feel lighter)

Hammer Strength 4way Neck x 1

Didnt have much time and I felt sore again today - time for a day or two off. It is amazing how good of a workout you can do in a very short time with double KB c&p and snatches.

I'm trying to swing my bells in the fingers and transition to the palm at the clean. It seems to work okay going up, but going back down the handle seems to get caught on the ridge where all the callouses are. I've trimmed them down as much as I can, but its more the fold of skin that it hangs up on. My hands are also pretty wide and dont fit through the handle very well when I transition to the palm. Maybe Chris or another KB guy/girl can help here? It seems to me a person could develop some serious finger strength by just swinging the KB in their fingers.

Need to work on the Dbl KB OHS - need more shoulder flexibility. It be pretty cool to be able to full squat snatch heavy double KB's.

06/05/09

Macebell Swings (worked on 360's)

Double KB Snatch - 32's x 5 + 2 OHS, 36's x 5, 32's x 5, 36's x 5

Double KB Squat Clean & Press - 32's x 5, 36's x 5

Seated DB Snatch - 70 x 4 ea hand, 90 x 2 ea, 110 x 2 ea

Couple Pullups

Crappy mood today - taking another day off would've made it worse. I didnt feel like doing anything, so the above made me a little happier. I've been having a heck of a time with the macebell swinging. The shaft on mine is 1 7/8" diameter and doesnt have a handstop - maybe thats it? I do know the thing really fries the grip. I bought some 1 5/8" pipe and 1/5" round bar to make some more this weekend.

Wow, those macebell 360's completely fried my core - havent been this sore in a long time :rock

06/06/09

Lawn Mower Circuits (circuits while mowing the lawn):

#1 x 2 rounds

Macebell 360's - 10 swings ea way

Double KB Snatch - 36's x 5

V-Bar Pullups x 5

#2 x 2 rounds

Front Squat 225 x 5

DB Snatch (fm ground) 90lb x 10

V-Chins x 5

#3 x 2 rounds

Front Squat 275 x 1

DB Clean & Press 110lb x 10

Hammer Strength 4way Neck x 4 sets

Felt good after this workout - I like doing power-type circuts, they really get my heart going

06/08/09

Clubbell swipes and mils

Macebell 360's - 5 ea way, 10 ea way

Hammer Strength 4way Neck x 2 sets

Jump Rope - 2 x 5 min rounds

Mini Circuit #1 x 2 rounds

Power Rail HSPU x 1

Pullups x 5

Mini Circuit #2 x 2 rounds

Ring and Hand Pushups x 10 ea hand

V-Bar Pullups x 5

Mini Circuit #3 x 2 round

F. Squat 225 x 5/275x1

1 Leg Squat x 1 ea leg

Front Squat - 275 x 1, 295 x 1, 315 x 1 (do circuit twice, 30 sec rest between sets)

06/08/09

Extra evening workout - nice day

50 pullups (reg, v-bar, towel, straps, v-bar chins)

25 Portland Stone throws

Light neck work

06/10/09

Man, this workout was painful. Started by pulling a muscle in the middle of my back while "jump roping" of all things. I'm pretty sure its from all of the neck work I've been doing as this always happens towards the end of a "work the neck" every day week. My elbows are really starting to tell me to slow down too - lots of stiffness and soreness. I think I'm due for some structure to allow for more rest. Maybe three days a week strength trainging and three days a week conditioning? What about something like this:

1-Kettlebells

2-Conditioning

3-Bodyweight (lots of pullups)

4-Conditioning

5-Maybe some sandbag and/or traditional barbell/db work (squats/db snatches)

6-Rest/or Conditioning

7-Rest

The only things I really like doing now are DB/KB Snatches and Pullups/Chins - I'd also like to continue the GTG on certain exercises like 1 leg squats. I think I really need to back off on the pullups for a while until the elbows stop flaring up so much. Its not like they hurt all the time, but they get real sore and stiff and it takes a set or two to work out the kinks.

Powered through today's workout - did what I could as the back was really stiff.

V-Pullups - B x 5 x 5 sets

Dips - B x 10 x 5 sets

V-Chins - B x 5 x 5 sets

1 Leg Squats on a box (bottom start) - 5 ea leg

Its hard to offer advice on something like this because some people thrive on a ton of volume and frequency and others do much better on a lot less. I think your above plan would work well. If you're worried about overdoing it you could also try working out 3xwk and doing either your heavier stuff followed by conditioning in the same workout or go twice a day 3xwk. This would give you a lot of recovery days but your overall volume would still be the same. I know Doc had good results with strength work followed by conditioning. I've been thinking about going to a 3xwk routine as well so I'll give this some thought.

About the elbows what helped me was only hitting each type of pullup 1xwk but still getting 2-3 workouts a week to keep the strength up. So I might do a day of one arm work, a day of just chins and a day of rope pullups for a total of 3 workouts. I think you vary it up quite a bit though so this might be something you already do.

Looking forward to what you come up with and Good luck!

06/13/09

Elliptical x 20 mins

Treadmill x 30 mins

Macebell 360's x 2

Front Squats supersetted w/bottom start 1 leg squat x 1 - 275 x 1 x 10 sets

4way neck x 4 sets

Will start something new on Monday - what, who knows.

06/14/09

Jump Rope x 5 mins

KB Snatch/OHS Combo - 16kg x 8, 24kg x 8, 32kg x 6, 40kg x 6 x 2 sets

Elliptical x 25 mins

Treadmill x 32 mins

KB Snatch - 24kg x 100 reps in 4:47

I think my snatch form is improving some - I'm trying really hard to swing in the fingers and catch in the palm. The snatch for time was a great workout. Heres a video of a few snatches - any critique is welcome

06/15/09

Tabata w/a Jump Rope

Worked on some KB Snatches

Double KB Snatch - 36's x 6

HS 4way Neck x 1 set

Will finish up tonight.

06/15/09 Evening

Pullups w/25lb vest

pullups x 10

V-pullups x 10

V-Chins x 10

Take vest off

pullups x 5

v-pullups x 5

v-chins x 5

strap pullups x 5

10 puts ea arm w/a 16lb shot

Thanks, but those were totals for the workout (lol) 2 x 5, not 1 x 10 (I wish).

06/16/09 AM

20 mins Elliptical

20 mins Treadmill

Hammer Strength 4way Neck - 50 x 30 ea way

03/17/09

30 mins Elliptical

KB Snatche - 24kg x 100 reps in 4:36

HS 4way Neck - 50 x 20 ea way

Gonna have to really bump up my fitness to hit that 200 reps in 10 min test. I'm pretty much going to have to keep my current 5 min pace to make it and its gassing my pretty hard now.

Morgan,

do you still do any handstand training?

Yes, but not much in the last couple of weeks. I figured out that to make that goal and be good at it I really have to get my bodyweight down, which is what I'm going to work on for the next couple of months. The hardest part is cutting out that fine brewed German and Belgian beer.

06/18/09

Got up late - short, but hard workout

Elliptical x 15 mins

Treadmill x 16 mins

4way Neck - 50 x 30 ea way

06/19/09

Front Squat - 225 x 10 x 2 sets, 275 x 5, 295 x 1, 315 x 1, 335 x 1

Double KB Snatch Medley (16's x 5, 24's x 5, 32's x 5) x 1 set

Sandbag C&P - 140 x 1

HS 4way Neck - 50 x 20 ea way

Elliptical x 20 mins

Treadmill x 30 mins

I'm going to have to lay off the pull-ups for a few weeks until the tendonitis in my left elbow goes away as its starting to get bad. It'll give me an opportunity to focus on getting my bodyweight down.

06/20/09

Cable Hip Belt Squat - 50 x 20, 100 x 20 x 2 sets

Hammer Strength 4way Neck - 25 x 10, 35 x 10, 45 x 10, 60 x 10, 70 x 10

Lawn Mower Medley x 5 rounds (200lb SB C&P x 1 + 200lb SB Bearhug Squat x 5 + 90lb DB Snatch x 10)

06/21/09

Elliptical x 25 mins

Treadmill x 38 mins

HS 4way Neck - 35 x 50 ea way (good pump on these - bloated neck)

06/22/09

Elliptical x 15 mins

Treadmill x 20 mins

Double KB Snatch & Military Press (snatch ea rep) - 24's x 5, 32's x 5, 36's x 5

Power Rail HSPU - Body x 1 x 3 sets

DB Snatch - 90 x 10, 110 x 10

Dips - Body x 10 x 5 sets

The morning workouts are starting to get better. I definately start the day off feeling fresh and awake.