Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

10/11/09

Hands only rope climbing, rope rowing, rope walking, lots of rope work, 32 mins running/walking on treadmill

Upper back down to my hands are really feeling worked tonight - going to include more rope and sandbag work into my workouts - make me feel like I'm doing something with my workouts

10/14/09

BW - Been in the mid 260's for a while now

Little bit of everything workout (no particular order) - Sandbag C&P (singles w/200), rope climb (hands only), rope rows, plyo jump/grab rope/pullup combo (both one and two ropes), double KB snatches (worked up to set of 5 w/40's), 1 arm DB snatch/press combo (singles w/90), elevated plyo pushups (set of 10), Dip/Leg raise combo (sets of 10), pullups & chins (20 total), 4way neck and neck bridging, 34 mins hard treadmill run/walk

Jumping up and grabbing the ropes to an immediate pullup is a good exercise - I did a few sets w/work gloves on and it really hammered the grip.

10/20/09

Rope Climb - standing to my ceiling joists (12') using two ropes and hands only - up and down

Double KB C&P/Snatch/Front squat combo (sets w/32's, 36's & 40's doing sets of 2)

Sandbag C&P/Zercher squat combo - 200lb bag x 1 x 5 sets

4way Neck Work

Wall walks to handstand to one arm handstands (still against wall) x 2 sets (about 8-10 sec hold ea arm)

35 mins hard run/walk on treadmill - worked up to 45 sec hill sprints - 8.5 mph @ 10 elevation

Pretty good workout today.

10/21/09

Handstands to one arm supports & lateral wall walking supersetted with chins/pullups/monkey bar stuff (switches, hangs, etc)

4way neck work

30 mins of hard treadmill intervals

I'm really enjoying the rope climbing and handstand stuff I've been doing - I've been working at this "walking on my hands" goal for a long time now - slowly getting there. Getting my bodyweight to strength ratio higher is obviously the key.

10/22/09

Handstand wall walks to one arm supports, lateral wall walking, HSPU partials

All forms of pullups, chins, monkey bar, towel pullups, etc

Neck bridging

45 mins of hard hill intervals on the treadmill

Post workout meal - 7 scrambled egg whites, 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, blueberries, chopped apple, raw almonds, 1 scoop vanilla whey, milled flax

10/26/09

Took a few days off - always seem to be stiff and sore when I come back though - getting older I guess

Front squats, handstands, rope climbing, pullups, neck work. Did some rowing at work the last few days too

10/27/09

Bear walking (high & low - walk to wall then wall walk to handstand - do one hspu then bear walk back - 50' total) man low bear walks are killer - kind of like one arm pushup walks

Neck bridges - all 4 sides

31 mins hard treadmill intervals (run/walk)

10/28/09

L-Sit Rope climb (hands only, start seated, ~10' climb - getting better at the rope stuff)

Double KB Snatches - 32's x 50 reps in 10:00 flat

Bear Walk Circuit (25' bear walk, wall walk to handstand to ~5 sec one arm support ea arm, wall walk down, 25' low bear walk) x 4 rounds

33 mins hard treadmill hill intervals (walking)

Tonight was a good workout - felt good.

10/29/09

Rope climb (start seated, climb w/hands only using two ropes - 10' or so up and a few grabs down)

Rope climb/pullup combo - 1 rope

Rope rowing/walking (2 ropes - start laying down - work up then back to laying position - rowing ea grab)

4way Neck Machine - 50lbs - 200 total reps non-stop (50 ea side)

Bear Walking (low crawl style w/a 45lb vest on)

32 mins hard treadmill intervals (walking)

PW Meal - Non-fat yogurt, whey, raw almonds, blueberries and a diced apple

10/30/09

Sandbag Bearhug Squats - doubles w/the 250 (I cant imagine anything more practical for the "ground up" back and legs than these)

1 set of pullups and chins

Lots of rope climbing w/1 and 2 ropes

4way neck

Tried out some Janda situps (well - crunches) - activating the hamstrings really does show how much work the hip flexors really do - gonna stick with these for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

11/12/09

Leg & Low Back Circuit - (Front Squat 275 x 1, 200lb Sandbag Zercher Squat x 1, Double KB Snatch 32's x 1) - 10 rounds - 90 sec rest between rounds

42 mins hard treadmill intervals

11/15/09

Leg & Low Back Circuit - Front Squat 275 x 2/200lb Sandbag Zercher Squat x 2/32kg Double KB Snatch x 2) - 5 rounds, 90 sec rest between rounds

4way Neck Work

31 mins treadmill intervals

11/21/09

Rope climb/dip circuit, 4way neck & bridging, handstands/pullups/chins circuit, 37 mins treadmill intervals (max set of handstands/pullups every 5 mins)

The balancing on my hands is starting to get better - been at this for over a year now - dont think the big gains are going to happen until I get my bodyweight down some.

Meal of the Day - Green salad w/avocado and red onions, Homemade veggie & chicken soup served with freshly made pico de gallo & hot sauce

11/24/09

Lots of rope climbing (hands only - 1.5 & 2" ropes)

4way neck & bridging

Lots of handstand work and tumbling

32 mins hard treadmill intervals (max set of mixed grip pullups & dips every 5 mins)

Had a good handstand workout tonight - this was the first time I practiced doing handstands away from the wall, which led into the tumbling practice - pretty fun stuff. I started kicking up into my handstand with both feet instead of just one, which has really made a difference. I can now kick up in the center of the room and hold a handstand for a few seconds (half the time - rest is tumbling :laugh )

11/26/09

Rope climbing, dips, neck work (4way and bridging), handstand work, 32 mins hard treamill intervals (max set of pullups & dips every 4 mins)

11/30/09

Rope climbing

4way neck

Handstand work - walked on my hands for a bit for the first time tonight - pretty cool

Pullups - many variations

Messed around a bit on the rings and paralette bars

31 mins hard treadmill intervals

Meal of the Day: Green salad w/avocado, topped with almonds and fresh shrimp. Bowl of homemade veggie & beef soup. Liverworst sandwich w/fresh cheese & sweet onions on Dave's Killer Bread (mmm, good)

I've been doing my handstand workouts at works mat room - lots of mats and crash pads. I go pretty late and have been chatting with a painter whos doing some work in the place. He tells me that he and his buddys used to have handstand competitions in college so I started challenging him to do some workouts with me - he laughed and continued working. I gave him the same challenge tonight and he took me up on it - he got right up and walked a bit - pretty cool guy. We chatted a bit and he gave me some tips that helped him. I then popped right up and started taking my first steps (with the hands) - walked 7-8 feet a few times.

12/03/09

Rope climbing

4way neck

Handstand & walking on hands

Tucked planche pushups (attempts - cant do one yet) on the paralette bars - tried a couple of planches too - hard

Ring rows

Pullups & Chins - various grips

15 mins on a spinning cycle

22 mins hard treadmill intervals - running & wallking

I put some cash down on a nice mountain bike, hence the spinning work. Looking forward to hitting the road and trails after Christmas. Still following the "Warrior Diet" - sounds kind of dumb, but its really become a way of life for me. The weight is coming off very slow now, but its still coming off, more so in body fat than simple weight. Over the last few weeks lots of people that see me every day are starting to comment more on how I look slimmer. My 40th birthday is next week and I'm far from "being in the best shape of my life", but I'm well on the road to it - thanks for the help Chris.

12/05/09

Front squats supersetted w/back squats (1rep/5reps)

Double KB Snatch (24kg bells) - 14 in 30 secs

20 mins on a spinning bike

22 mins hard treadmill intervals

Going to do the KB snatches a few times a week - all out for one set - really going to have to condition my hands though - 30 seconds took some skin off.

12/05/09

Lots of rowing (mainly with ropes), handstands & pullups/chins, neck bridging, 40 mins treadmill intervals

12/07/09

Back squats - 10 sets of doubles & 10 sets of singles - 30 sec rest between sets

Double KB Complexes (swing, snatch, clean, front squat, press) - singles and double w/24's & 32's

Light handstand/walking on hand practice

Neck bridging

20 mins on a spinning bike, 15 mins elliptica, 17 mins hard treadmill hills

KB complexes kicked my butt - really got the heart pumping. Great workout overall - burnt some calories tonight.

Meal of the Day - Green salad w/avocado, red onion, tomato & raw almonds. Morgan's Muscle Porridge (lots of spinach & chopped broccoli, carrots, quinoa, Bob's Red Mill 13 bean mix, yams, peas, chicken breast - served w/a dash of teriyaki)

12/09/09

Back squats & front squats (singles and doubles - rock bottom 2 second pause at bottom - focus on driving up)

A little handstand work

Double KB complex (swing, snatch, clean, front squat, press) - 32's x 3 rounds (no rest)

Neck bridging

18 mins spinning bike

Almost got a free standing handstand pushup tonight - I also nailed a couple of 30+ second handstands (no wall) in the last couple of days - I've been GTG with them a lot lately.

12/15/09

KB complexes

Handstand & one are support work

Neck bridging

30 mins of boxing + a few takedowns w/wrestling (sparring w/a buddy)

12/16/09

Neck bridging

30 mins of boxing

12/17/09

20 mins on a spinning bike

22 mins on the treadmill (8mph run @ 10 elevation - 30sec on/30 sec off x 5 rounds)

12/19/09

Neck bridging

20 mins spinning bike

22 mins hard treadmill intervals (Bas Rutten style - elevate to 15 @ 7mph (30s on/30s off), level 14 @ 7.1 mph and so on to level 10 @ 7.5 mph) - rest was walking hill intervals @ 4.0 - 4.5 mph

Treadmill intervals were tough - I'm just getting into running again and I spend energy quick. I've got a ways to go to hit Bas' record of 15 elevation @ 9.0 mph 45s on/30s off x 9 rounds

12/20/09

Warmup - jumprope, neck bridging, jumping squats, calf jumps, torso twists, tea cup shoulder exercise

30 mins sparring with a buddy

A few bodyweight exercises - pullups/chins, pushups, handstand pushups, walking on hands, ring rows, kb TGU

Heres what I ate today, which is pretty standard for the last 1 - 2 months

9:30am - apple

11:30am - spoonful of peanut butter with a handful of raisins

1:30pm - apple

4:00pm - 6 egg whites w/chopped broccoli, onion & tomato w/lime and hot sauce (usually just eat a piece of fruit or nuts here)

7:45pm - Green salad w/a small avocado, tomato, onion slice, handful of raw almonds & tbsp of olive oil & vinegar. Large bowl of broccoli. Large bowl of homemad veggie/bean/turkey soup. Apple w/2 tbsp of nat p. butter

I can feel the weight is coming off somewhat faster, but I'm still in that 260-270 range - but people are really starting to make comments to me now my weight loss (much more so that the last few months). I've stopped squatting (except to keep my hips flexible) heavy and started doing bodyweight leg exercises for more endurance. The boxing and harder treadmill intervals will help a lot too. I was really hitting a wall with the training and I think this will kick things in gear again.