Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

It was a "sort of" heel strike. I really bent my knees to absorb the impact - a buddy said I looked like Fred Flintstone running. The last several runs I've converted to a true ball of the foot to slight roll to the heel strike. My calves and the balls of my feet are usually pretty fired up at the end of a 30-40 min run, but now have been feeling great the next day. I run exclusively on the pavement and asphalt. I did a little grass running a few days ago and it was "bliss".

05/13/10

43:19 VFF run

Also test road bikes for about 3-4 hours so it counts as part of my workout today.

05/14/10

Lots of pullups/chins, handstands & dips.

45 mins of hard swimming.

05/16/10

Chapin Park Circuit - VFF 1/2 mile grass loop x 10 loops - pullups at the end of ea loop - 70 total.

Nice day, good workout - calves are fried.

05/18/10

Bike ride - 23.78 miles in 1:32:02 (15.4 avg)

Bodyweight circuits in the evening - pullups/dips/chins/G-Rex

05/21/10

Bodyweight was 254 today - feeling great!

GTG w/bodyweight circuits - handstands/hspu, pullups/chins/rope pullups, dips

Swimming - 100m pull buoy, rest 45 secs, 100m kickboard w/fins, rest 45 sec, repeat for 50 mins

Short, fast 10 mile ride on the new road bike.

Pulled the trigger on a comfy carbon road bike and a Garmin GPS bike computer yesterday. Also joined the Portland Velo Club as I really want to train with people that are better than me - only way I'll get better fast.

05/23/10

Vibram Five Finger run - 3.95 miles in 40:40

Bodyweight circuits - Handstands/HSPU, pullups/chins, dips, G-Rex/Pony clamp

Meal of the Day - Whole wheat wrap, sardines, avocado, shredded broccoli, jalapenos & salsa. Dessert: Morgan's ice cream - low fat plain yogurt, frozen marion, rasberry & blueberries, raw almonds, oats and splenda blended in a mixer - good stuff.

05/24/10

Lunchtime bodyweight circuits (pullups/chins, hspu, dock rowing) x 4 rounds @ 1 min rest between circuits (200 total reps on the dock rowing)

Lawn mower circuits (alternate circuits everytime bag gets emptied) - Rope climbs & pushups, rope pullups & handstands.

Also did a little rowing at work today.

05/25/10

40 mins of swimming - 200m freestyle, 100m pull buoy & 100m kickboard w/fins (45 sec rest between sets).

PWM (post workout meal) - Slice of Daves Killer Bread, fresh ground pb & fresh squeeze OJ.

Boxing and wrestling with a buddy - short, 2 x 3 min rounds ea, 10 mins of intervals on the stairmaster

Felt good to get back in the ring and knock heads with my buddy - he's been out for a while. I've been pretty much doing aerobic activity, so this kicked my butt a little.

MoD: Whole wheat wrap, muenster cheese, turkey, avocado, fresh spinach, jalapenos, mango salsa. Also had some roasted sweet peppers & almonds w/a glass of red wine. Good meal tonight.

05/26/10

37 pullups and 70 dips in 10 mins - coulda gone a bit harder, but a good effort here.

35 mins of swimming (100m freestyle, 100m kickboard w/fins & treading water w/legs only w/fins on and a 10lb rubber brick in the hands)

Boxing and wrestling - 4 x 3 min boxing rounds and 3 x 3 min wrestling rounds

Probably did 25-30 more pullups & 50+ dips "GTG" throughout the day.

Got beat up a bit wrestling tonight - got the neck rolled over again and the ribs took a little shot. Hard sport, kudos to guys like Couture that can endure the stuff at the professional level into their 40's.

Tired tonight - lots of work today. Got my pedals for the new road bike and a good fit at the local shop - stand by for some hard riding.

05/27/10

Bike ride - 19.04 miles in 1:08:16 @ 16.7 mph avg - I worked really hard for such a slow avg. Garmin said I burned 1077 calories though (who knows how accurate that is). It kinda sucks riding in an urban environment as there is a lot of stop and goes.

40 mins of swimming - 100m freestyle, 100m pull buoy, 100m kickboard w/fins, 50m dolphin kick w/fins - 30-45 sec rest between sets.

Anybody swim competitively here? I'd like to start the process to learn the butterfly - it looks like a tremendous workout. From the few youtube videos I've watched it appears the dolphin kick to get out of the water is key. I did some dolphin kick work tonight w/a kickboard and wow, works the body great from the chest down.

05/29/10

Lunchtime - 25 pullups/75 pushups

48 mins of swimming (100m freestyle & kickboard w/fins - 45 sec rest between sets) followed by a 2.69 mile run in 22:44 (8:27 avg mile)

Pretty good workout today. I've been doing a lot of dolphin kicking in the pool - a tremendous core workout. So much so I ordered a monofin - looking forward to training with it.

05/30/10

AM - 35 pullups/chins & 90 pushups

Noon - 20 pullups/chins, 70 pushups, 120 reps dock rowing (60 ea side)

06/01/10

Lawn mower circuits (do a circuit everytime the bag gets emptied) - rope climbing & hangboard pullups

Swimming - 150m freestyle, 50m kickboard w/fins & lots of underwater dolphin kick w/fins - great core workout

Boxing and wrestling - 2 x 4 min & 2 x 3 min boxing rounds - 2 x 3 min wrestling rounds (45 sec rest between rounds)

06/02/10

47 pullups, 90 dips & 100 bw squats

60 mins of swimming - did some underwater dolphin kicking w/my new monofin and a ton of treading water w/short fins - good workout

Boxing and wrestling - 4 x 3 min boxing rounds and 2 x 3 min wrestling rounds (45 sec rest between rounds)

Monofin is fantastic for what I'm looking for - great core workout. I've also been sprinting in place (sorta) with short fins in the deep pool for 5 min intervals - its a fantastic workout trying to keep your body out of the water at waist to belly button level w/just your legs. I have to take it easy on the wrestling as my neck is still tweaked from getting rolled last week. Very productive day.

MoD: whole wheat spaghetti, w/low sodium sauce and fresh off the farm burger - best meal of the year so far.

06/03/10

Bike ride: 19.14 miles in 1:03:11 - 18.2 mph avg

45 mins of swimming - treading water & underwater dolphin kicking

06/04/10

Lunchtime - 30 chins, 30 pullups, lots of handstands for time (30-45 sec)

60 mins of swimming - lots of fin kicking intervals and underwater dolphin kicks

Treading water with short fins (no hands) is my new kick - trying to propel yourself out of the water for short 15 sec intervals uses an amazing amount of energy. Doing these and lots of fast 1 hour bike rides is gonna hammer my lower body

06/07/10

BW - 255

At work - 35 pullups, 100 pushups, handstands for time and 280 reps of dock rowing (row w/a carbon fiber paddle standing on the dock - all the energy goes into the body - tremendous core workout)

60 mins of swimming & a 3.0 mile run in 24:45 + a 1 mile walk

GARMIN RUN #3

06/08/10

Bike ride - 19.33 miles in 59:04 - 19.6 mph avg

Lawn mower circuits - 60 pullups, 3 x 12' rope climbs (up & down, hands only), 75 pushups, 60 dips & 100 x 24kg kettlebell snatches

Pretty sweet did the same ride as a few days ago (a tad further even) and knocked over 4 mins off my time and upped my avg by 1.4 mph

BIKE RIDE #4

06/09/10

40 mins of swimming - lots of tread water intervals w/fins.

MoD: Whole wheat wrap, egg whites, hummus, feta cheese, avocado, spinach, broccoli slaw, mango salsa and jalapenos - mmmmm, good.

06/10/10

50 pullups, 100 dips & lots of parallette work (L-sits, leg raises, tucked planche work)

45 mins of swimming - lots of treading water (legs only w/short fins on)

MoD: whole wheat wrap, hummus, avocado, yams, amaranth/quinoa mix, spinach, feta cheese and lime. Dessert: sliced avocado w/lime & garlic, muenster cheese, raw almonds and a glass of merlot. Good meal tonight

06/11/10

WorK: 50 pullups, 100 pushups

Bike Ride: Bike ride - 17.16 miles in 1:16:13 - my introduction to riding hills and with another rider - good times - good workout - beautiful afternoon for a ride.

That's awesome that you still get some wrestling in.  I quit a couple of years ago and only spar stand-up now.  Every sprain, strain, etc... came while grappling, which would sideline me for a week or so.  Very nice work on your progression pics to.

Thanks man. The wrestling is definately hard at times as its easy (like right now) to roll a neck or do something silly like that which gives me a nagging, 2-3 week pain. It is getting harder to do as I get older - hell of a workout though!

06/13/10

06/13/10

1200 yd open water swim w/fins while towing a drift boat sock and buoy

3.67 mile run in 30:00 - 8:10 avg + 1.36 mile walk

06/14/10

Lunchtime - 50 pullups, 125 pushups & 100 bw rows. Also did a little swimming and paddling on the river