Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

04/27/12

About a 100 various types of pullups at work throughout the day and 15 mins of hard sled pushing after

04/28/12

Decided to try the Crossfit Games individual event #2: 2000m C2 row, 50 one leg squats (alternate ea rep for a total of 25 ea side) and a 225 power clean for 30 reps - they give the athletes a max of 17 mins to complete.

Really didnt know how I'd do - I row pretty good, I one leg squat horribly and my power clean form is rough. I decided to do the one leg squats off a box.

Started off the row w/a good pace, then really got into it - finished the 2K in 6:39

Was totally blown out so I decided to pass on the rest, then thought I was a pussy so I skipped the one leg squat and just did the power cleans - 1 to 2 reps at a time.

Finished the row and power cleans in 21:45. 17 mins for all three events would be very tough - I noticed most all of the posters on the crossfit board scaled the workout (squat on box and a lot less on cleans) and most were in the 20+ min range.

Ran for 24:30 at a 7:30-8:00 min pace when I got home. Good workout today.

05/04/12

Messed around on the C2 - pulled a 1:24 500m

05/05/12

Some DL's and hang cleans w/some rope skipping

Been focusing on the diet the last two days and weighed in at 239.2 - first time in the 230's in a long time.

05/07/12

Good warm-up then as many rounds as possible in 10 mins of: 10 x 120lb squats & a 500m C2 row - 3 complete rounds + 3-4 squats (or so - too gassed to count)

35 mins of hard, sprint sculling in the pool

5/8/12

50-60 pullups while mowing the lawn.

Circuit style event w/buddies - 1 x stone C&P w/100lb, 125ish & 180ish stones, 5 x pullups, 5 x hspu & a 800m run - repeat two more times for three rounds total

I finished in the 16 - 17 min range.

Pullups throughout the day - various kinds ~150-200 (lost count).

I've also been practicing my kipping HSPU's - can now hit headstands to kipping handstands from time to time - no wall either

05/11/12

Sandbag C&P, box jump burpees, bench press and some sled pushing.

1.5 hrs on the bike and 1 hr of rowing a drift boat (switch up between push and pull strokes)

5/15/12

Back squat 135 x 25 & 10 regular pullups x 3 rounds

Sandbag c&p

Sled pushing

Lots of longer distance swimming, rowing, biking, handstands and pullups over the last week or so.

Gonna do an olympic distance triathlon in August - prob should focus some on that.

05/23/12

Swam longer intervals at the pool - 2 x 500's, 1 x 300 and 1 x 200 (about 1 min rest in between sets) - 24:30 somthing not counting rest for the 1500 (yards)

35 mins of running, pullups, handstands and toes-to-bar at the park after.

05/27/12

22.5 miles on the bike and 50 mins of "hard" drift boat rowing (well, upstream part was freaking hard as the tide was going out blink.gif )

05/28/12

~ 40 pullups at the park

16 miles on the bike (10 miles were hard rolling hills)

Pool swimming - 1750 yards of intervals

05/29/12

13 mile mtn bike ride to lagoon - 500m open water swim in 9:23 - 13 mile bike ride back home (25.7 mile in 1hr 38mins - 15.7 avg)

I've been running my bike single speed the last couple of weeks - really starting to dig it as I'm now figuring out what ratio works for me.

Edited by maidenfan

Lots of cycling, swimming, rowing and pullups over the last week or so.

06/03/12

1500m open water swim in 28:12

06/04/12

AM mtn bike ride - 24.01 miles in 1:26:58 (16.6 mph avg)

PM pool swim - 8 x 250y intervals (45s-1m rest between - 31:59 total time)

06/12/12

Been swimming a lot (~5000m a week), riding some 50-100 miles a week, running a little (~5-7 a week), drift boat rowing (~1-2 hrs a week) and a little bodyweight stuff.

Todays was a 25 mile road bike ride in 1:23 (18mph avg) and some pool swimming later on tonight.

Took the last three days off - was tired and sick after ride on Tuesday. Urine was burning and cola colored - figured there was some extra lactic acid there. Initially thought I had some rhabdo going on, but it cleared up well over the next two days. I've really been training with no organization and I really needed more rest. Need to change that.

06/16/12

1500m open water swim in 27:05 (knocked over a min off my previous best - rest did me good)

I'm also going to give myfitnesspal a shot on a nutrition diary again.

Worked out a plan for workouts too:

Mon - Swim and driftboat row

Tues - Brick workout - 25 mile (min) followed by a 6.2 mile run (min)

Weds - Rest day

Thurs - Strength day - crossfit/pullups/oly lifting/bodyweight/whatever

Fri - Bike (longer ride - make the morning commute a long one)

Sat - Swim and driftboat row

Sun - Rest day

In addition to that - I'll be commuting to work via bike as much as possible (all four days if I can help it)

06/18/12

Open water swim - 6 x 250m intervals (1 min rest - 1500m total) - 27:45 swim time

Drift boat row - 5 x 1000m intervals (switch push/pull every 250m - 1 min rest) - 5000m total 48:45

06/19/12

My first brick workout today - bike then run.

Bike 20.56 mile in 1:10 (17.6 mph avg) - 4:05 transistion - 5 mile run in 41:54 (8:22 pace)

Did better than I thought I would do. I held back slightly from time to time on the bike to save something for the run, but it was hard as I've never done a back to back at that distance yet. Run was a max effort. I'd like to avg 18mph or better on the bike during the race. Carrying 245ish lbs on these events is tough, but I'm sure it'll come off fast doing workouts like these.

• 3 weeks later...

Still training hard - did a 3hr 39min ride last monday (58.5 miles and 3200' of climbing). Lots of rowing, swiming, cycling and some running.

07/09/12

1hr of rowing then a 750m open water swim. Pool swimming afterwards.

• 1 month later...

Still training, but mainly cycling, swimming and rowing (drift boat). Here's a few pics from a recent trip to the local velodrome - a cycling event that I may acutally be able to compete in (someday)

TrackDay3.jpg

TrackDay2.jpg

TrackDay1.jpg