Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

Ring Support is what it's called, and since you didn't mention it, I'll throw this: turn the rings Out so your palms are facing forward, and keep your hips fully extended (one tends to "pike"). Makes it much harder. :)

Ring Support is what it's called, and since you didn't mention it, I'll throw this: turn the rings Out so your palms are facing forward, and keep your hips fully extended (one tends to "pike"). Makes it much harder. :)

Yeah, I tried that a few times, the external rotation makes it much harder.

Edited by maidenfan

03/13/12

AM wrestling w/a couple buddies. 1:30/1:30 rounds. 1:30 on, fresh guy for another 1:30, rest 1:30 - repeat for 15 or 20 mins. Hard.

PM 15 mins skipping rope, 30 mins treadmill hill walking intervals and 10 mins of neck bridging.

03/14/12

Ran Crossfit's "Jerry" for fun today - 1 mile run, 2000m row, 1 mile run - 22:29

BW was 245 in skivvies today

03/20/12

Wrestling w/three buddies - 3 x 1 min rounds (fresh guy every min), rotate out for 2, repeat for 25-30 mins.

Badass workout, nothing else like it. If I could only do one thing for a workout it would be wrestling.

03/18/12

Ran the Portland Shamrock 8k in 39:27

That's an awesome 8k time, specially for a guy your size!!

03/18/12

Ran the Portland Shamrock 8k in 39:27

That's an awesome 8k time, specially for a guy your size!!

Thanks man - I'm trying to be a good, well-rounded athlete. The only thing that has been majorly frustrating me is the muscle-up. I think it'll come better when I get down into the 220-230's

Edited by maidenfan

03/21/12

BW - 241.4 (lightest I've been in a long time)

AM - 45 min run w/girlfriend

PM - 20 mins of: 1 x 225 front squat every min for 10 mins, then 1 x 200lb sandbag bear hug squat every min for 10 mins. No rest - jump rope in between squats. Good sweat - fun.

You can kip the crap outta the muscle-ups andget them NOW, I'm 100% sure technique is holding you back.

Jim from Beastskills did a Strict ring muscle-up with like 45# added which brought him to perhaps 225# BW (I might be slightly off in the numbers as I'm going from memory). And that was STRICT, no kip, I saw the video.

If you kip it you can get it now, perhaps you should check instructional videos and the like. I KNOW you have the strength to do it right now.

Yeah, probably so. I learned all sorts of tips at the Crossfit instructors course I went to. Just nursing a bit of elbow tendonitis then I'll hit it hard.

03/22/12

30 mins of wrestling at lunch

40 mins of swimming and a long walk w/the dog after work

03/24/12

2 x Tabatas at work - ring supports/handstands on wall & pushups/ring rows

35 mins of swimming after work

03/25/12

200lb sandbag shoulder & squat & 100lb DB snatch (alternate ea min) - Do one rep then jump rope for the rest of one minute - repeat 21 more times - no rest

Tabata intervals w/neck bridging (8 total)

03/26/12

Muscle-up transition drills (on toes) and a little false grip rowing while at work

1 hr 10 mins on the mountain bike and a little basketball w/the dog after work

04/01/12

Some olympic lifting practice and rings and handstands at the park afterwards

04/02/12

40 mins of wrestling - best wrestling workout I've ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

Front squatting (225 for singles) and tons of double under practice - PR'd at 40

Up'd my PR on DU's to 40 from about 4 today (lol). Obviously this is just an "Ah" type exercise that requires some practice until you get it. I'd imagine once you get into the upper tens or 100+ your fitness will kick in. For me, the rope made all the difference in the world. I picked up a speed rope made for DU's by Rogue. This wouldn't work to well for a trick rope as the cable is thin and stiff.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bearing-speed-rope.php

4/19/12

Row all day at work

20 mins of 1 x 225 front squat - double under practice for the rest of the min - no rest.

04/20/12

1.5 hrs of treading water & pool swimming at work

15 mins of: 5 x double 24kg KB snatches then jump rope/double under practice for the rest of 1 min - no rest

04/24/12

Front squat - 235 for one rep every 30 seconds x 10 sets

Crossfit style circuit w/a few buddies - 15 shots of wallball, run up 4.5 flights of stairs, push a 250lb sled 50' (plastic skis on carpet), 250m C2 row, push sled back 50', repeat two more times.

1 hour on the mtn bike.

04/26/12

At work totals for the day - 50 false grip pullups, 70 hangboard pullups & about 20 kipping hspu (practice of such - lol)

About 15 mins of pushing and pulling a heavy sled afterwards.