Bending+Training Log

Londonjoseph

11 hours ago, matek said:

damn, hope you're ok (I guess so though because you haven't mentioned an injury)
probably it's the combination of the material + small diameter + very short length + shape... stay safe

It hurt my front delts a lot after the snap. At first I thought the wraps slipped and was surprised to see it broken. I wouldn't say I'm injured though. 

Nonetheless, I'm staying away from short stainless pieces. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

1/4"x5" black oxide grade 5 bolt snap while doing double underhand. Not happy....

Snapchat-1190270780.jpg

Man you're having bad luck recently with these accidental snaps 😅. At least it's not that dangerous when it happens during DU. Still very unpleasant on the wrists...
This happened to me a long time ago trying to DU a 6mm grade 12.9 bolt. I've learned that with lower diameter hardened bolts, I have to either 1.) just cut the threads and go shorter/buy longer if I can and cut that to the desired length, 2.) wrap the thread side 1-2cm deeper. But honestly knowing how you DU you're probably already wrapping deep enough, so you either go with the 1.), or use a bolt from a different manufacturer because you'll roll the die every time you bend this the same way. 

• Like 1

Some home training today-

Both hands:

Riser curl with strap-

10x5 40lbs

1x20 40lbs (took a lot of effort)

Inch Pinch from armassassin 

10x10 39lbs

1x1 53lbs

4x3 50lbs

1x3 50lbs (tried to AMRAP then tore thumb on the 4th rep, shown in video 😔)

Fatgripz standing cheat curl (left clips at friend's house so had to be careful)

6x6 40lbs

3x5 50lbs

Couldn't do much after because of the thumb tear, really bums me out 😔. I seem to have been unlucky lately. Just did some lighter reps with pronation curl, regular curls, and some hammer curls. 

I talked to Harri Tolonen a long time ago about improving hub lifts, inch pinch, etc. He recommended I do 10x10 to start with, and at first I didn't like that so I didn't train that way. After this session I'm more inclined to change my mind, I think I like starting with 10x10 on some implements to establish a better CNS connection.

I think I am going to train inch pinch and Thomas Inch trainer more. 

Snapchat-1938343691.jpg

Snapchat-1583297374.jpg

• Like 3

Way cool lifts, sorry about your thumb tear. Just a minor set back.

• Like 1

Went to armwrestling practice on Sunday, got a lot of good pulls in even though there was only 5 of us that day.

Monday I did 10 isometrics with an 8"x3/8" stainless piece. I could feel some flexion and springiness, it's definitely a piece I would like to do someday. My pecs are still sore from this. 

Tuesday I had to start taking antibiotics for a brutal eye infection, so I did my final bend until the course of it is over. I just did a grade 5 6"x1/4" DU Ostlund style. Never tried ostlund but it was very interesting.

These antibiotics are kicking my a$$, and I didn't know until talking to some friends that they weaken your tendons a lot. 

In the meantime I will be doing heavy visualization work, and I'll be imagining my tendons healing and staying strong. It's the best I can do for now. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

Went to armwrestling practice on Sunday, got a lot of good pulls in even though there was only 5 of us that day.

Monday I did 10 isometrics with an 8"x3/8" stainless piece. I could feel some flexion and springiness, it's definitely a piece I would like to do someday. My pecs are still sore from this. 

Tuesday I had to start taking antibiotics for a brutal eye infection, so I did my final bend until the course of it is over. I just did a grade 5 6"x1/4" DU Ostlund style. Never tried ostlund but it was very interesting.

These antibiotics are kicking my a$$, and I didn't know until talking to some friends that they weaken your tendons a lot. 

In the meantime I will be doing heavy visualization work, and I'll be imagining my tendons healing and staying strong. It's the best I can do for now. 

If I remember correctly, that was one certain type of antibiotic called "fluoroquinolone" (had to look up the name), but yeah I would be careful anyway.

Great job on the bends and I hope you get better soon!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

that sucks man, hope the eye heals fast..

Thats all you can do.. Be sure to have some probiotics or greek yogurt. Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in your gut

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't been able to do much lately. 

Just some lighter isometrics to keep some activity going. 

I'm just trying to get as much rest as I can, I can tell this stuff is wearing me out.

Visualization and THE MINDSET are key when you're ill. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

Haven't been able to do much lately. 

Just some lighter isometrics to keep some activity going. 

I'm just trying to get as much rest as I can, I can tell this stuff is wearing me out.

Visualization and THE MINDSET are key when you're ill. 

Youll get there soon... These things happen but you have the right mindset and youll come out of this even stronger.

• Like 1

Grade 8 bolt triangle underhand style single suede, pads 1" apart 

Did this as a test of strength, warmed up with a shiny 60D and a JH Grade 5. 

All 1/4"x6"

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

Grade 8 bolt triangle underhand style single suede, pads 1" apart 

Did this as a test of strength, warmed up with a shiny 60D and a JH Grade 5. 

All 1/4"x6"

That's a strong conventional DU bend, London! After I bent the 8.8, I plan to do those more!
Looks like you're back on track and healed, good.

Recently with reverse and DU (+ Heslep), you're having fun with thin pads wrapped deep. What about DO? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, matek said:

That's a strong conventional DU bend, London! After I bent the 8.8, I plan to do those more!
Looks like you're back on track and healed, good.

Recently with reverse and DU (+ Heslep), you're having fun with thin pads wrapped deep. What about DO? 

I'm not recovering as well as I would like actually. Progress with how I feel is very slow. 

I have given my DO a little more of a break. In past months I focused on shorter pieces that were extremely crush dependant, so I find my kink has slowed a little bit. Doing the 4.5" and 5" stainless square were fun experiments. 

I would like to get back into doing DO more, with longer lengths. I want to work on 8"+ lengths with DO. 

I think I should strive for some more short term goals too, I think I'm really really close to doing a bastard in every way, with single leathers. Or a red in every way with IMP's. I would prefer to medley them, it would make for a sick video. 

I really like some of the classic feats. 

Doing a 5" red in single cordura would be awesome too. That would be a bit more long term I think though .....

• Like 3

Today I tried wrist wrench off the floor. 

Never trained it before, I like it a lot, a good "gripsport" lift that transfers more to armwrestling than the other traditional grip lifts.

I will be performing it more and prioritizing it over some of the other stuff I have been doing (thick bar, key pinch), etc.

I got 81.1lbs first time trying it. I think I can start doing a lot more. I also think a shorter loading pin would help with the awkward height. 

• Like 5

Decent training day.

Ended up doing:
Riser curl standing 55lbs 3x5
Pronation curl standing 64lbs 3x5
Static pronation lift standing 88lbs 10x1
3.75"x1/4" stainless steel reverse bend, suede+1/2 leathers. Took 3 long minutes. Such a strange piece from the pile Tim Butler gave me.

Tore my finger in the process, totally worth it tho. 

Snapchat-186151164.jpg

Snapchat-1311271809.jpg

• Like 6

Watch out for that strange stuff it will always come back to  bite you. 

• Like 2

I am starting new work for a laser cutting company on Tuesday. 

I met the building manager, and I showed him some steelbending with a 70D. He was very impressed 😌.

Now the company owner wants to speak with me and see if himself 👀👀👀

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

I am starting new work for a laser cutting company on Tuesday. 

I met the building manager, and I showed him some steelbending with a 70D. He was very impressed 😌.

Now the company owner wants to speak with me and see if himself 👀👀👀

Nice bend and congrats on the new job and making a good first impression

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, Londonjoseph said:

Today I tried wrist wrench off the floor. 

Never trained it before, I like it a lot, a good "gripsport" lift that transfers more to armwrestling than the other traditional grip lifts.

I will be performing it more and prioritizing it over some of the other stuff I have been doing (thick bar, key pinch), etc.

I got 81.1lbs first time trying it. I think I can start doing a lot more. I also think a shorter loading pin would help with the awkward height. 

That's a Very strong start on the WW.

• Like 3

Inch pinch 

8x1 55lbs

Hub

8x1 63lbs. 

Casual stuff from the other day. Haven't hubbed in an extremely long time. 

• Like 2