Bending+Training Log

Londonjoseph

All those grade 8's and 5" grade 5's have payed off. I'm going to attempt to reverse one soon, then do a medley with 3 in every way

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Impressive as always man 

Thank you, this was an important bend for me! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matek said:

Great bend man! That "red in all styles" is close!

One day...... Hexabastard every way 😎

• Like 2

Total work today

All ironmind pads DO CRS

2X 6"X5/16"

1X 5&3/8"X5/16" 

1X5"X5/16"

Did the 5&3/8" by a large fire with encouragement from my friends and liquor 

Even though it's less impressive than the 5" one, this one is definitely more memorable for obvious reasons. 

Snapchat-2063137380.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

No warmup, max effort tbh.

A bit off center so even more impressive.

Just ironmind pads. 

That's a great bend! You're on fire lately 

I almost always end up off-center with reverse, I don't care anymore 😄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matek said:

That's a great bend! You're on fire lately 

I almost always end up off-center with reverse, I don't care anymore 😄

I'm happy with my results lately, it's good progress. 

Maybe I will be doing more 8" pieces overhand soon 

• Like 1

6" horrido 8.8

Leathers+suede 

Took 4 minutes. 

Camera cut out after 3 :(

I think I will cert this soon. Gotta buy more 8.8's. 

Snapchat-792640734.jpg

Screenshot_20231022-115118.png

• Like 5

Went to 2 armwrestling practices this week. 

It really did a number on me, so I have to rest. 

I have been a bit more alcoholic than usual lately, which definitely doesn't help. I drank a whole pint of Jameson yesterday and felt nothing. 

I am going to try to quit drinking entirely to get better performance. 

I am also going to try to do some light training/therapeutic stuff during my lunch break at work. I'll log it here more, and try to be more active. 

I had some big wins with bending recently, the 6" 8.8, the 5/16"x7" CRS in every style using ironmind pads, the 5/16"x5" CRS in ironmind pads. All I'm very proud of. 

However my general health (mentally and physically) has been very poor. And to truly see success in the stuff I love I have to take better care of myself. I need more consistency than ever before. I also need to do some more training besides bending. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

I have been a bit more alcoholic than usual lately, which definitely doesn't help. I drank a whole pint of Jameson yesterday and felt nothing. 

I am also going to try to do some light training/therapeutic stuff during my lunch break at work. I'll log it here more, and try to be more active. 

I had some big wins with bending recently, the 6" 8.8, the 5/16"x7" CRS in every style using ironmind pads, the 5/16"x5" CRS in ironmind pads. All I'm very proud of. 

However my general health (mentally and physically) has been very poor. And to truly see success in the stuff I love I have to take better care of myself. I need more consistency than ever before. I also need to do some more training besides bending. 

yeah dude, its tough, ive been pretty mentally and physically burnt out from what i've got going on too and drinking more than i should.  Its not easy but gotta just take it a day at a time.  

I don't drink early as much as i did when I was your age. But i can honestly say once i cut back my performance really improved. From like 18-22 I could drink whatever whenever and still wakeup at 4am to train. Just gets harder the older you get and more responsibilities you have.

Take it one day at a time, one session at a time and your eyes on the prize.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

I don't know much about bending other than I find it very impressive so well done on your 6" 8.8 and 5/16x 7", the latter sounds very thick and tough. 

A pint of Jameson! That is pretty hardcore, you just have a huge tolerance. I'd be absolutely smashed from that.

It can be tough regarding the booze to kick the habit, so good luck man. It's all about the getting in the right mindset I believe but that's easier said than done.

I used to be a heavy drinker for far too many years but then kept it reigned in and in moderation but then covid hit and it was terrible with the lockdowns and I kept in the habit of far too much booze for about 2 years after the first lockdown but now I'm older i got out of the habit and barely drink now, my training and health is all the better for it. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

I appreciate the words of encouragement my brothers @mcalpine1986 @Blacksmith513

Gotta take it one day at a time, like you guys said. I'm glad I made this log in general to keep myself more accountable. 

I want big big things, and I think with the right mindset I can get those things 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I appreciate the words of encouragement my brothers @mcalpine1986 @Blacksmith513

Gotta take it one day at a time, like you guys said. I'm glad I made this log in general to keep myself more accountable. 

I want big big things, and I think with the right mindset I can get those things 

Yes you can. You got it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

I'm glad it could help in anyway. My father passed away at age 45 due to the booze, as did his father in his 40s. There is no way that's happening to me and I thank lifting iron for that. 

Yes you got this man, it's all about getting in the right mindset. 

Being consistent with training really helps I think. 

55 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes you can. You got it

• Like 2

All done Ostlund style to crush. 

1x hot dipped 1/4"x6" timber tie.

5x Shiny 60D 1/4"x6"

Stretches, some blood flow with hands. 

Very light stuff. Feel pretty ok for no drinking today, still recovering from those two armwrestling practices. 

I weighed 235 today. Not in my best shape because of all that drinking I've been doing for a very long time, finally catching up to me. Not bad for my first day without any, it'll take some time to adjust, but that's ok. 

I think I may go back to my roots with some calisthenics, I may be able to find a way to hang up gymnastic rings at work in the shop. It would be great to work on some more fundamentals since it's been a very long time since I trained this type of thing. 

I used to train calisthenics very frequently with friends at the park when I was lighter, and I think I may start losing a lot of weight to get better at it. 

I did retain a lot of strength even when I got heavier as shown in this video. I don't know how much losing weight would effect my bends, but a lot of top level guys like Derek and Alexander klimovich weren't very heavy. 

• Like 5

Huge session in singles.

Mysterious 5/16" "Plated Steel" by Hillman in Ironmind pads.

1x6"

2x5"

It's tougher than the CRS I have previously tried by the same company. Binds up a lot on the crush. These bends toasted my hands, they feel very mashed together. 

My friend Phil McMahon thinks it is Zinc Plated steel of some sort. 

Here is a video of the first 5" piece I attempted:

Snapchat-1500417208.jpg

Snapchat-369954084.jpg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Huge session in singles.

Mysterious 5/16" "Plated Steel" by Hillman in Ironmind pads.

1x6"

2x5"

It's tougher than the CRS I have previously tried by the same company. Binds up a lot on the crush. These bends toasted my hands, they feel very mashed together. 

My friend Phil McMahon thinks it is Zinc Plated steel of some sort. 

Here is a video of the first 5" piece I attempted:

Snapchat-1500417208.jpg

Snapchat-369954084.jpg

That crush was brutal! Nice work.

Yeah it looks zinc-plated (looks like this, it's written that the finish is zinc-plating). But I don't think that's the reason for being tougher, probably the steel itself is different. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, matek said:

That crush was brutal! Nice work.

Yeah it looks zinc-plated (looks like this, it's written that the finish is zinc-plating). But I don't think that's the reason for being tougher, probably the steel itself is different. 

Seems like that's exactly it.

Edited by Londonjoseph
  • Like 1

The 11152 is also zinc plated

6 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

It's just listed as steel, I wonder what exactly the material is though ....

Probably it's 1018, where carbon is 0.14 - 0.20 %. So there is a tolerance of course, but 0.14 vs. 0.2 can make a difference (for us anyway)

Just now, matek said:

The 11152 is also zinc plated

Probably it's 1018, where carbon is 0.14 - 0.20 %. So there is a tolerance of course, but 0.14 vs. 0.2 can make a difference (for us anyway)

I like the material a lot honestly. Probably a lot of variance but it was fun to use for sure!

• Like 3