matek's training log

matek

2 hours ago, matek said:

Thanks a lot! They also run a cert list for their inch replica, and I plan to do that in the future.
But first, I need to figure out how to do the inch lifts at home without destroying the floor. And then actually buying the inch and camouflaging it as a fat cat so my wife won't notice. 

I have no doubts you will lift it if you train for it. You're very talented and consistent with training 👍 maybe some sort of crash pad could work? 

lol it does get hard to justify it to our wives 😁. Tbh they're some of the real MVP's for tolerating and supporting all of the grip and bending. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matek said:

Thanks a lot! They also run a cert list for their inch replica, and I plan to do that in the future.
But first, I need to figure out how to do the inch lifts at home without destroying the floor. And then actually buying the inch and camouflaging it as a fat cat so my wife won't notice. 

Whats under your floor? If you think about doing it id and theres a loadbearing wall under you or beam or something i'd atleast do it over that... Maybe take a pallet, screw a sheet of plywood over it so its even stronger and have a crash pad over it that? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I have no doubts you will lift it if you train for it. You're very talented and consistent with training 👍 maybe some sort of crash pad could work? 

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Whats under your floor? If you think about doing it id and theres a loadbearing wall under you or beam or something i'd atleast do it over that... Maybe take a pallet, screw a sheet of plywood over it so its even stronger and have a crash pad over it that? 

Structure-wise it should be fine, I just want to avoid damaging the flooring. The pallet+plywood+crash pad combo sounds the best indeed, thanks. It has to be non-intrusive because I rent the place (and I'm on the 10th floor btw). Of course I will have to elevate myself to the same height to make it an actual deadlift. 

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

lol it does get hard to justify it to our wives 😁. Tbh they're some of the real MVP's for tolerating and supporting all of the grip and bending. 

So true!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, matek said:

Btw, my certificate of the KWN50 blob lift arrived; looks cool.

Congratulations!  Well done!

And yes...that cert looks very cool!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations ,job well done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Congratulations!  Well done!

And yes...that cert looks very cool!

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Congratulations ,job well done.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Blobs

Both Hands:
- 4x1 KWN40 lifts

RH:
- 3x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lifts
- 9x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

LH:
- 12x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

• Like 6

Push

20kg/44lb weighted pushups with pushup stands
- 20x18
Overall I rested between the sets a little bit longer than usual, but still, this was surprisingly good today.
Triceps pushdown with purple bands
- 5x24

I'm starving, will eat a lot for dinner for sure

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, matek said:

Push

20kg/44lb weighted pushups with pushup stands
- 20x18
Overall I rested between the sets a little bit longer than usual, but still, this was surprisingly good today.
Triceps pushdown with purple bands
- 5x24

I'm starving, will eat a lot for dinner for sure

I know that feeling all too well. Nice work out

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I know that feeling all too well. Nice work out

Thanks!
I just ate so the grumpiness is gone. I want to eat all the food I cooked, but then I have nothing to bring to work tomorrow...  Maybe I will eat wife's ice cream. It's already in the freezer for three days, and I have a special "expiration date" rule over here... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks!
I just ate so the grumpiness is gone. I want to eat all the food I cooked, but then I have nothing to bring to work tomorrow...  Maybe I will eat wife's ice cream. It's already in the freezer for three days, and I have a special "expiration date" rule over here... 

Take the ice cream and assert dominance. 

Also, what flavor is it? Regardless, eat it. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I think I’d rather come face to face with a school of great white sharks then take my girls or any woman’s for that matter ice cream.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think I’d rather come face to face with a school of great white sharks then take my girls or any woman’s for that matter ice cream.

She saw me taking it out from the freezer and o f c o u r s e she wanted to eat it right away. Typical. Her argument was that she bought me beer today (true), so what can I do. I kindly offered her the ice cream and walked away with my beer. 
I was creme brulee ice cream, good stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, matek said:

She saw me taking it out from the freezer and o f c o u r s e she wanted to eat it right away. Typical. Her argument was that she bought me beer today (true), so what can I do. I kindly offered her the ice cream and walked away with my beer. 
I was creme brulee ice cream, good stuff

In my younger years I never had any sweets. I’d say why have ice cream when you can just drink more. 

Ive acquired more wisdom since my youth. I drink a little less and have a little more ice cream. It always needs melted peanut butter on it though.

less hangovers more ice cream. Win win.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

God bless the women that put up with our tomfoolery 

That’s why I like this new one so much.

She’s screwed up like me. Shes hardcore, loved heavy metal and punk and used to mosh, even busted her nose in the pit.

I said you mosh metal and I bend it. We are perfect for each other 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s why I like this new one so much.

She’s screwed up like me. Shes hardcore, loved heavy metal and punk and used to mosh, even busted her nose in the pit.

I said you mosh metal and I bend it. We are perfect for each other 

She sounds awesome, Joe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

God bless the women that put up with our tomfoolery 

...and ignore all the new grip tools that show up at the door. 

• Like 2

The rule in our house is if it's in the fridge  or freezer more than 24 hours it's fair game.

Joe sounds like you have the perfect mate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

The rule in our house is if it's in the fridge  or freezer more than 24 hours it's fair game.

That wouldn't work in my house...I still have Girl Scout cookies in the freezer that I bought from my daughters back in February.  I have to make them last until they sell more again next year!  😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pull

Neutral grip weighted pullups
- 7x3 51kg/112lb
- 3x5 41kg/90lb

Cable rows narrow grip
- 7x12 113kg/250lb

Compound row machine
- 7x14 110kg/242lb

Hammer curls with Fat Gripz Extreme (orange)
- 7x7 45kg/99lb

I felt strong today. I stopped pullups at 10 sets only because I tore my skin at set 8, and with the alcohol-based liquid chalk it started to get messy. Also, less rest between the sets (of all exercises) than usual.  

But almost everything went suspiciously well this week; bending, push, pull. Probably an injury is coming 😂

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

Grippers 

Both hands (warmup)
GD IG90 standard spread
- 1x20 Level 1, Level 2
- 1x10 Level 3
- 1x5 Level 4
- 1x1 Level 5

This last one was relatively heavy for a warmup but felt actually useful (that's why I'm logging this warmup). 

RH
- 1x1 GHP #7 (unrated) 1.5" GHP block set
- 2x1 GHP #8 (unrated) 20mm choked with ~4-sec holds

Long time no gripper video, so I asked my wife to record the first set. Hands were shaking a lot, but it was clearly closed. 
- 1x2 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
- 2x1 Custom Stainless gripper Level 3 15mm choked
- 1x20 CPWxGG4 collab gripper RGC 115 MMS

LH
- 4x1 Standard Fe RGC 134 MMS - one fail
I missed the last one by a few millimeters, bad set. 
- 2x1 Custom Stainless gripper Level 3 10mm choked
- 1x16 CPWxGG4 collab gripper RGC 115 MMS

20230723.JPG

• Like 8

THAT SUPPER COOL ,nice work

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

THAT SUPPER COOL ,nice work

Thanks John!

DU bending

I've decided I won't do anything super hard this week, because usually I injure myself exactly in these good phases.
Still did some relatively heavy stuff both in doubles and singles. Volume is the same as usual or even a little bit more.

Doubles (leathers):
- 4x CRS SQUARE 7mm x 7" - 61, 64, 63, 63 degrees
All one hit. None of these felt particularly hard, but I need the practice in the big boy wraps.

Singles (leather):
- Stainless (304) 7mm x 7"
- CRS HEX 7mm x 7"

These two were part of the warmup (so not in the video), I did the bends in doubles after these. After the bends in doubles:
- CRS 21/64" x 6" - 54 degrees
- CRS 21/64" x 6.5" - 67 degrees
- CRS 21/64" x 7" - 86 degrees
- Grade 8 bolt 1/4" x 5" - 53 degrees

(490lb batch at 6")
- Grade 5 bolt 1/4" x 4" - 50 degrees
(390lb batch at 6")
- CRS 5/16" x 5" - 46 degrees

All one hit except that 4" G5, because I wanted to make sure it's 40+.
Just for the sake of transparency: I don't want to cut new wraps so I put a super small (like 3cm wide) cordura in the leather where it directly contacts the bar because I don't want to damage it further. It's not like it's helping at all compared to a new wrap because this leather is full of tears and holes.

It was worth recording this session, I've noticed a few suboptimal movements.

20230725.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 5