matek's training log

matek

49 minutes ago, matek said:

...  Anyways, since you asked for the link, here it is. 

Thanks Matek!  Probably just as well the KWN60 is currently out of stock.  🤑💸

[edit:  for what it's worth, blobs on eBay aren't exactly cheap in the USA despite the flat rate shipping option.  there are some crazy prices online right now.]

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Matek!  Probably just as well the KWN60 is currently out of stock.  🤑💸

[edit:  for what it's worth, blobs on eBay aren't exactly cheap in the USA despite the flat rate shipping option.  there are some crazy prices online right now.]

No worries Doug.
Everything is available, but it takes some time to make them (I think these are order-made). I think their primary source of income from gym equipment is kettlebells, and I really don't think they will go out of business anytime soon. That's why I'm chill. I will just buy the stuff as I'm getting stronger. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matek said:

...That's why I'm chill. I will just buy the stuff as I'm getting stronger. 

Maybe I need to be more chill.  I buy stuff and then it takes me a year and a half to actually work up to lifting it.  😁

• Like 2

DU bending 
BW was 107.8kg/238lb.
No reverse this week because my left thumb webbing still heals. 

Singles (leathers):
- DR (SK95) 7.5mm ('M') x 6.5" 
- 2x Stainless (304) bolt 5/16" x 6"
- 2x CRS 21/64" x 6.7"
- 4x CRS 21/64" x 7"
- CRS 2x 1/4" x 7" taped together
- CRS 5/16" x 5"

All one hit.

+ At some point, I tried a 13mm x 6mm x 7" rectangular CRS, but it was waay too hard for DU lol (especially singles), so I just quickly did it braced to sub 2". 

Doubles (suedes + leathers):
- CRS 9mm x 7" - fail, 35 degrees
Couldn't finish within 5 minutes, again. This was the second bend of the session, so I wasn't even tired physically. Very disappointing.

20230620.JPG

• Like 7

Blobs

RH
- 2x2 KWN40 lifts
- 1x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift 
- 6x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

This wasn't a choice btw, I just couldn't fully lift it more than once 😅

LH
- 4x1 KWN40 lifts
- 7x1 KWN40 weighted (20.3kg/44.8lb) lifts

I patched up the fresh blood blister "holes" with liquid bandage, so I can do at least pinch.

20230621.jpeg

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, matek said:

Blobs

RH
- 2x2 KWN40 lifts
- 1x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift 
- 6x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

This wasn't a choice btw, I just couldn't fully lift it more than once 😅

LH
- 4x1 KWN40 lifts
- 7x1 KWN40 weighted (20.3kg/44.8lb) lifts

I patched up the fresh blood blister "holes" with liquid bandage, so I can do at least pinch.

20230621.jpeg

I got blisters on me fingers!

nice work man. That’s how you do it. Idk why but I never cut my hands working out. A couple blisters, cut on thumb webbing when I first started bending and maybe one from pinching.

I either have extra tough skin or I don’t go hard enough. But yeah liquid bandage is the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I got blisters on me fingers!

nice work man. That’s how you do it. Idk why but I never cut my hands working out. A couple blisters, cut on thumb webbing when I first started bending and maybe one from pinching.

I either have extra tough skin or I don’t go hard enough. But yeah liquid bandage is the best.

Thanks, man!

I think the only time I cut it was with barehanded bending (edit: oh and thumb webbing opened a few times while pinching, but recently very rare). These blisters are from pressure and friction (with the wraps) because I bend high volume these days.

Yeah, liquid bandage is a godsend!

Edited by matek
  • Like 3

NICE WORK

BLOOD SWEAT AND BENDING

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

NICE WORK

BLOOD SWEAT AND BENDING

Thanks, John!

• Like 1

Push

Weighted pushups 20kg/44lb 
- 15x17

Adjustable chest crush armbar at max resistance
- 5x15 

+ Neck curls 20kg/44lb
- 5x9 
I didn't do these for quite a while, so I went with only five sets.

• Like 8

How do you do your weighted pushups?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

How do you do your weighted pushups?

With a weight vest, and that's what I recommend. I also use pushup stands because it's just better for the wrists in the long run + bigger range of motion. 

• Like 3

Forearms/wrist recovery

3x:
- 30x reverse wrist curls with purple band + rolling pin 
- 30x pronation with chained wrist wrench 12.5kg 
- 35x wrist curls with black band + rolling pin 
- 25x supination with chained wrist wrench 7.5kg
- 3x radial deviation rolls with Twist yo wrist 10kg
- 3x ulnar deviation rolls with Twist yo wrist 10kg

+
 Did ~3x30 crushes/hand with my "100lb" (whatever that means) rubber donut

Great pump, a stellar opportunity to outangle my biceps

20230623.jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, matek said:

Forearms/wrist recovery

3x:
- 30x reverse wrist curls with purple band + rolling pin 
- 30x pronation with chained wrist wrench 12.5kg 
- 35x wrist curls with black band + rolling pin 
- 25x supination with chained wrist wrench 7.5kg
- 3x radial deviation rolls with Twist yo wrist 10kg
- 3x ulnar deviation rolls with Twist yo wrist 10kg

+
 Did ~3x30 crushes/hand with my "100lb" (whatever that means) rubber donut

Great pump, a stellar opportunity to outangle my biceps

20230623.jpeg

those aint forearms or even fivearms.. I think their sixarms.

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2023 at 7:13 AM, matek said:

With a weight vest, and that's what I recommend. I also use pushup stands because it's just better for the wrists in the long run + bigger range of motion. 

I figured the weight vest was the case. I’ve always wanted one to make progressive overload on push-ups a thing and to also make weighted dips a little less cumbersome. Just haven’t gotten around to getting one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I figured the weight vest was the case. I’ve always wanted one to make progressive overload on push-ups a thing and to also make weighted dips a little less cumbersome. Just haven’t gotten around to getting one. 

I think it's a good investment if you want to do weighted calisthenics movements. It doesn't really matter which you get, but I don't recommend the ones with iron powder. You will get rusty powder everywhere in a year or two (experience...). Get one with iron blocks. That will also rust (even if the blocks are coated), but you can just ignore it. 
Also, if you want to use it for dips and pushups, I recommend at least a 40lb one because you will get strong fast and a 20lb one might not be enough. You can remove/add blocks as you wish anyways. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, matek said:

I think it's a good investment if you want to do weighted calisthenics movements. It doesn't really matter which you get, but I don't recommend the ones with iron powder. You will get rusty powder everywhere in a year or two (experience...). Get one with iron blocks. That will also rust (even if the blocks are coated), but you can just ignore it. 
Also, if you want to use it for dips and pushups, I recommend at least a 40lb one because you will get strong fast and a 20lb one might not be enough. You can remove/add blocks as you wish anyways. 

I agree with everything Matek said.  I've had a 60lb with blocks from Titan Fitness for years.  But I use it more for added weight during goblet squats or (slow) hill work on the treadmill.

If you plan on using it for any lower body stuff, you may want to buy the heaviest vest your budget will allow.  It's easy enough to remove weight from a heavy vest but difficult to add weight to one that's not made for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I agree with everything Matek said.  I've had a 60lb with blocks from Titan Fitness for years.  But I use it more for added weight during goblet squats or (slow) hill work on the treadmill.

If you plan on using it for any lower body stuff, you may want to buy the heaviest vest your budget will allow.  It's easy enough to remove weight from a heavy vest but difficult to add weight to one that's not made for it.

Agreed. For me, the 20kg/44lb one was the heaviest I could get for a reasonable price. Still thinking about getting a 40kg/88lb one somehow because I look like a working mule when doing weighted pullups (vest + dip belt) and it's such a hassle compared to just a vest. But then, I would have to bring a much heavier bag/backpack to the gym (I walk to my gym because it's close)... 

• Like 1

Yeah back when I did them more often, I quickly worked up to 30+kg for my working sets on pull-ups and dips, so I’d probably go for ~40kg if it’s available. Do either of you have experience with the weight plate loadable kind? The ones that basically have loading pins with locking screws on the front and back. 

26 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah back when I did them more often, I quickly worked up to 30+kg for my working sets on pull-ups and dips, so I’d probably go for ~40kg if it’s available. Do either of you have experience with the weight plate loadable kind? The ones that basically have loading pins with locking screws on the front and back. 

The Kensui EZ-VEST Max looks really promising and has really high reviews. But that thing is not cheap.

Grippers

Finally, a gripper workout. My right thumb is already ok, but the skin is still healing, so I mainly did choked closes.

Both hands
-8x2 10mm choked closes with my custom stainless gripper at Level 4

+ 2x CoC #3 MMS with RH

Btw my left thumb webbing is ~90% healed (after that volume reverse bending session 10 days ago), so I think I can do reverse on Tuesday. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

...Do either of you have experience with the weight plate loadable kind? The ones that basically have loading pins with locking screws on the front and back. 

I've never used one.  Curious how it compares.  My weight vest feels very balanced and evenly distributed.  45lb plate on my front or back may feel very different.

That said...I've seen military applications to simulate road march style training.  Ex. a special forces site recently started offering a Ruck Trainer and Rogue has an Outdoorsmans Atlas Trainer.  But (a) that's not the training I'm currently doing and (b) they both cost 2-3 times what I paid for a weight vest WITH THE WEIGHT BLOCKS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I've never used one.  Curious how it compares.  My weight vest feels very balanced and evenly distributed.  45lb plate on my front or back may feel very different.

That said...I've seen military applications to simulate road march style training.  Ex. a special forces site recently started offering a Ruck Trainer and Rogue has an Outdoorsmans Atlas Trainer.  But (a) that's not the training I'm currently doing and (b) they both cost 2-3 times what I paid for a weight vest WITH THE WEIGHT BLOCKS.

Yeah I had a buddy a while back who was into rucking, and I remember the sticker shock when I looked into it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah I had a buddy a while back who was into rucking, and I remember the sticker shock when I looked into it. 

The military should use that as a recruiting tool:  free rucking equipment and get paid to use it...just sign here.  😁

• Haha 1

Pull

Compound row (Nautilus)
- 5x16 110kg/240lb

Preacher curls
- 5x12 45kg/99lb

Lat pulldown
- 1x8 136kg/300lb
- 1x10 127kg/280lb
- 1x12 118kg/260lb
- 1x14 109kg/240lb
- 1x16 100kg/220lb

Cable rows - narrow neutral grip
- 1x8 114kg/250lb
- 1x9 109kg/240lb
- 1x10 104kg/230lb
- 1x11 100kg/220lb
- 1x12 95kg/210lb

Arm curl machine
- 5x9 15kg/33lb plate per side

No weighted pullups this week because I didn't want to tear my (still healing) skin, because then I wouldn't be able to bend properly on Tuesday. But I did something I haven't done for a long time: curls. Usually, I don't do them at all because my biceps work enough with the neutral grip pullups anyways. 
Back pump felt great. Love handles are tactically cut from the pic.

bp.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 5