matek's training log

matek

18 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

The military should use that as a recruiting tool:  free rucking equipment and get paid to use it...just sign here.  😁

Uncle Sam wants YOU to have the knees of a 60 year old at age 22 

• Haha 2

Blobs

RH
- 1x2 KWN40 lifts
- 2x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lift 
- 12x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

Two lifts unassisted. I always get it at least slightly below knees, but then I have to help with my other hand (or I just drop it). The second successful lift was the 11th set, and this is how I got it: I noticed that too much chalk has accumulated at the thumb side, making it real slippery. So I rotated the blob 180 degrees so the "50 lbs" sign is upside down for me. And it worked, the texture was much better for my thumb. Anyways I should clean it, I think. 

LH
- 1x1 KWN40 lifts
- 14x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

20230626.jpeg

• Like 7

Bending

I couldn't outeat Sunday's heavy pull session; upper back and biceps still sore. Great, long bending session regardless.

Reverse - single leathers (left hand front only)
- 1x CRS 7mm x 6.7"
Part of the warmup, did this after the WD2 warmup. 
- ECGB O-1 Drill Rod 5/16" x 7" reverse cert attempt 
Done in about one and a half minutes to ~45 degrees. Upper body was sore, so this was quite a battle today. I liked this bend.
- 1x CRS 5/16" x 6.7" 
I just realized here that my thumb webbing hurts like hell after the drill rod (I didn't notice earlier because of the adrenalin), so sadly this had to be the last reverse bend today. At least I was able to finish this bar.

DU- single leathers 
- 2x CRS 21/64" x 7"
- 2x CRS 21/64" x 6.7"
- 1x SK95 Drill Rod 8.1mm x 7" - hard batch
- 1x SK95 Drill Rod 5/16" x 6.7"
- 1x C45 HEX 7mm x 6.7" 
- 1x C45 HEX 7mm x 6.3" 
- 2x C45 HEX 7mm x 6.5" 
- 1x G8 bolt 1/4" x 6"

I have no strength left, have to stop here. 

All bends were 40+ degrees. 

20230627_1.JPG

20230627_2.JPG

• Like 7

Nice work killer bends

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work killer bends

Thanks John, great workout

• Like 1

Grippers

RH
- 4x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC 141, 1.5" GHP block set
- 4x1 Custom adjustable stainless gripper set to Level 4, 20mm choked
- 3x8 CPWxGG4 RGC 115, 1.5" GHP block set
- 3x13  GD IG90 Level 4, standard spread, MMS

LH
- 4x2 Custom adjustable stainless gripper set to Level 4, 15mm choked
Missed the 2nd rep of the 4th set by a few mm.
- 4x1 GD IG90 Level 5, narrow spread 45mm, no set
- 3x9  GD IG90 Level 4, narrow spread 45mm, no set
- 3x10  GD IG90 Level 4, standard spread, MMS

20230629.jpeg

• Like 5

nice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Push

Weighted pushups 20kg/44lb 
- 12x18
- 5x15

After this point, just doing as many reps as I can each set. 
- 1x14
- 1x13
- 1x11
- 3x10

Couldn't do 10+ reps 3 sets in a row, no point in continuing the weighted pushups. In total, 359 weighted pushups today, not bad.

Adjustable chest crush armbar at max resistance
- 4x16
The struggle with those last reps was real. 

Ate a 2lb+ venison roast after, recovery 2000%

• Like 5

The volume on those weighted pushups is nuts man. How much rest are you taking in between sets? I'm trying to get my pushup numbers up and my chest is completely fried today after a 5x25 haha.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DrBartlebee said:

The volume on those weighted pushups is nuts man. How much rest are you taking in between sets? I'm trying to get my pushup numbers up and my chest is completely fried today after a 5x25 haha.

Thanks!
Hard to say because rest periods tend to increase with these workouts. Anything from 2 to even 5 mins sometimes (sometimes I watch videos between sets 😄). It doesn't really matter if you have enough time.

5x25 sounds good. But I would decrease it to 20 reps and do more sets. Even better (if you don't have a weight vest), put your legs up on a chair and do the pushups that way.

• Like 1

Oh yea, I don't normally do that many, I'm trying to get my max up for an employment test. One of the 3 letter agencies haha. I actually just got a 40lb vest so I'll have to give them a try.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matek said:

Push

Weighted pushups 20kg/44lb 
- 12x18
- 5x15

After this point, just doing as many reps as I can each set. 
- 1x14
- 1x13
- 1x11
- 3x10

Couldn't do 10+ reps 3 sets in a row, no point in continuing the weighted pushups. In total, 359 weighted pushups today, not bad.

Adjustable chest crush armbar at max resistance
- 4x16
The struggle with those last reps was real. 

Ate a 2lb+ venison roast after, recovery 2000%

Ok, that's insane 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrBartlebee said:

Oh yea, I don't normally do that many, I'm trying to get my max up for an employment test. One of the 3 letter agencies haha. I actually just got a 40lb vest so I'll have to give them a try.

Oh, I see. You have to do like 50 in 1 min for the max point, right? That's very doable, just get used to doing your pushups fast, even if you do 25. Maybe put something fist-sized on the floor below your chest so you get used to the correct depth as well. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Max248 said:

Ok, that's insane 

Thanks👍. Sounds like a lot, but if you do pushups regularly (like every week) you get used to them fast.  

• Like 1

Pull

Still sore from bending day and push day, but Tuesday's bending will be better if I do pull today (instead of tomorrow).

Neutral grip weighted pullups
- 7x3 51kg/112lb
2nd and 3rd reps of the 7th set were not pretty, so decreasing the weight.
- 4x5 41kg/90lb
- 4x7 31kg/68lb

Compound row (Nautilus)
- 10x14 110kg/240lb

• Like 5

The reverse cert attempt I did last week ECGB O-1 Drill Rod 5/16" x 7" just got approved by Devin. I'm at the top at BSC and ECGB now. 
Not sure what will be my next reverse goal. Maybe Horrido A2 at 4" to get to the (shared) top there as well (currently I'm on the shared 3rd spot). But there is a huge difference between 5" and 4", and if I remember correctly Alexandr also just barely got it. 
Or cutting down the Moose more to widen the gap.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, matek said:

The reverse cert attempt I did last week ECGB O-1 Drill Rod 5/16" x 7" just got approved by Devin. I'm at the top at BSC and ECGB now. 
Not sure what will be my next reverse goal. Maybe Horrido A2 at 4" to get to the (shared) top there as well (currently I'm on the shared 3rd spot). But there is a huge difference between 5" and 4", and if I remember correctly Alexandr also just barely got it. 
Or cutting down the Moose more to widen the gap.

Congrats.. If anyone has earned it its you.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Congrats.. If anyone has earned it its you.

Thanks a lot!
Reversing a 5/16" drill rod is probably not something I will often do, it just never gave in like CRS or stainless. DU is much more dynamic so I didn't notice this for a long time. Every stupid mm I had to fight for. And I will have to skip reverse this week because it bruised my webbing that bad 😅. Even grippers hurt still. Still love drill rods though!

• Like 1

Blobs

Both Hands:
- 2x1 KWN40 lifts
Part of the warmup
- 3x1 weighted KWN50 (59.1lb/26.8kg in total) assisted lifts
The idea was that after doing a few sets with this, the KWN50 will feel much lighter. 

RH:
- 4x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) lifts
I never had this many successful lifts with this blob in one session. Felt good. 
- 6x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts

LH:
- 10x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) assisted lifts
I felt like it needed less support than usual. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, matek said:

Thanks a lot!
Reversing a 5/16" drill rod is probably not something I will often do, it just never gave in like CRS or stainless. DU is much more dynamic so I didn't notice this for a long time. Every stupid mm I had to fight for. And I will have to skip reverse this week because it bruised my webbing that bad 😅. Even grippers hurt still. Still love drill rods though!

Drill rod is tough... Some sticks of.2625 are tough enough and thats DO, some.  But i'll get there someday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Drill rod is tough... Some sticks of.2625 are tough enough and thats DO, some.  But i'll get there someday.

Sure you will. 

~6.7mm sounds like a good diameter to train with. Depends on the manufacturer, but that's most probably harder than a 9/32" CRS (especially for DO because of the crush). 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, matek said:

Sure you will. 

~6.7mm sounds like a good diameter to train with. Depends on the manufacturer, but that's most probably harder than a 9/32" CRS (especially for DO because of the crush). 

Thanks man. The crush is the killer with that diameter DR. At this point,If i'm not 100% its not going to 2". But i'm getting better. I'm switching to IMPS for a while and using some easier stock and work my way back to .2625... Which shouldn't be to hard or take to long.  

I really want to reverse my 60d brights . They must rate in the high 300s... I swear that G5 i did DO in doubles was easier than the 60d brights in doubles. This week i'm trying some G5s in singles DO. 

At this point i'm so focused on the inch that bending is almost how i feel on week to week basis. But if i look at in like 2 month blocks i'm getting stronger at it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks man. The crush is the killer with that diameter DR. At this point,If i'm not 100% its not going to 2". But i'm getting better. I'm switching to IMPS for a while and using some easier stock and work my way back to .2625... Which shouldn't be to hard or take to long. 

Yeah, completely crushing it is another story (same for stainless).

I really want to reverse my 60d brights . They must rate in the high 300s... I swear that G5 i did DO in doubles was easier than the 60d brights in doubles. This week i'm trying some G5s in singles DO. 

Those are some hard 60ds you got there. I also have one 70d left which is harder than a lot of 5/16" CRS I've tried. Good luck with the G5 DO, the crush will be fun. 

At this point i'm so focused on the inch that bending is almost how i feel on week to week basis. But if i look at in like 2 month blocks i'm getting stronger at it.

For sure, just go back in your log, and it will be apparent. This is what I do sometimes because with DU, I often feel like I'm stagnating but actually there is some progress. It just slowed down a lot, because I'm doing it for longer than reverse.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, matek said:

Yeah, completely crushing it is another story (same for stainless).

Those are some hard 60ds you got there. I also have one 70d left which is harder than a lot of 5/16" CRS I've tried. Good luck with the G5 DO, the crush will be fun. 

For sure, just go back in your log, and it will be apparent. This is what I do sometimes because with DU, I often feel like I'm stagnating but actually there is some progress. It just slowed down a lot, because I'm doing it for longer than reverse.

Thanks... The crush on the G5 i did Thursday was fine. I started in doubles, took them off to crush. I'm real curious how i do Thursday.   Yes, i love those 60ds and they are 17cents at Home Depot. They are a good short term goal and cheap. I bet to a lot of people here they are on the easier side of slightly challenging. 

But for 17cents they are worth stocking up on.  With bending, i really feel its a sport thats best taken slow if its something you want to do for a long time. 

• Like 1

DU bending

Doubles of suedes + leathers
- 2x CRS HEX 5/16" x 7"
Experimenting with wraps and wrapping depths with pseudo-hexabastards. The first one was leather over suede, the second one was the other way around. I wrapped the first one at 4cm, and I kept it there. I marked the second one at 3cm, 4cm, and 5cm, and I alternated between these depths during the bend.
Wrap order: To my surprise, suede over leather was better. Interesting, because in the past I remember it was the opposite. 
Wrapping depth: Up to like 20 degrees, I tried 3cm and 4cm. I'm not sure which is better. 3cm makes it "longer", but the wraps became quite unstable with the layers of the leather roll separating easier (and this is not good at all). From 20 degrees, I tried both 4cm and 5cm. Overall, 4cm is still better, but I can see the benefit of moving the wraps to 5cm if the leather starts to become loose.  
I'm glad I could take down two in a row, but these weren't easy by any means. The first one took a little over 5 mins today. The second one was sub 5 mins. 

Single leathers
- Drill rod (SK95) 9/32" x 7"
Part of the warmup.
- CRS 21/64" x 6" 
- CRS 21/64" x 6.5" 
- CRS 21/64" x 7" 
- 2x C45 HEX 7mm x 7" 

The second one took way too long, I was just too stubborn to leave it around 30 degrees. No power left, end of workout. 

All bends were 40+ degrees. 

20230704_1.JPG

20230704_2.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

Way cool bending

• Thanks 1