Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

my left hand is still going to dominate your right. LOOK OUT.

I'm bringing Wine or Beer to Nationals. If that happens its game over on grippers :upsidedwn

Just got the word that they already judged the HOSS #3.5 cert attempts and it passed. I'm pretty excited to be on a gripper certification list with Paul Knight and Tim Struse. Time to cross another goal off the list.

• Like 3

Nice to be on a list with Paul!!!!!!!! :)

What i HOSS? ;)

Nice to be on a list with Paul!!!!!!!! :)

What i HOSS? ;)

Its a gripper cert from steelbenders.org. You probably haven't seen it because I'm like the first person to cert in a year. Steel benders is primarily a bending site so those guys don't care much about grippers. There are few like me who try and do both grip and bending but people who do both usually favor one over the other. I'm really a grip guy who dabbles in bending.

http://steelbenders.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2190

Took a study break and destroyed a new model red nail DO in IMPs with no rubber bands in 34 seconds.

Graduating from Law School Today!

How I feel after finishing Law School

• Like 3

good job. what are you going to do with all your free time? study?

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!

good job. what are you going to do with all your free time? study?

Yep! Unfortunately Bar review class starts in 1.5 weeks. The New York Bar Exam is July 31. So I will be back in class all day 5 days a week real soon. Just going to enjoy the little time I get off.

Congrats

Congrats Chez!

Congrats

Thanks Guys!

Back to working out today. I did a light Chest and Bicep session. I also did some light ankle work to rehab my bad ankle. I haven't been lifting because of finals so I decided to ease back into it. I'll slowly ramp up the intensity. Gotta get my body use to the stress again.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

205 lbs = 10 reps

215 lbs = 8 reps

215 lbs = 7 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 7 reps

185 lbs = 6 reps

Flat Bench Peck Deck Dumbbell Flies

41.5 lbs DBs = 10 reps

46.5 lbs DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps

Barbell Bicep Curls (I get to curl in the squat rack since its mine :))

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 10 reps

Working

75 lbs = 10 reps

80 lbs = 10 reps

85 lbs = 8 reps

90 lbs = 8 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Standing Calf Raises Barefoot (light to rehab my ankle)

Body Weight = 20 reps

BW + 45 lbs = 20 reps

BW + 75 lbs = 3 sets of 20 reps

- muscle endurance sucks right now from all the late night studying and eating crap food. None of the sets were taken to failure. I just stopped when I felt I worked enough. Tomorrow I'll train grip.

huge congrats man!! sounds like you give school and grip the same awesome effort - you are relentless, dude

• Like 1

huge congrats man!! sounds like you give school and grip the same awesome effort - you are relentless, dude

Thanks buddy. I'm usually exhausted but I try and give my best in everything I do. Look forward to meeting you at Nationals.

Today I trained Legs, Pinch and a little wrist.

Bike

10 mins

Leg Extensions

130 lbs = 10 reps

140 lbs = 10 reps

140 lbs = 10 reps

145 lbs = 10 reps

150 lbs = 10 reps

Seated Hamstring Curls

130 lbs = 5 sets of 8 reps

Leg Press

270 lbs + Apparatus = 10 reps

360 lbs + apparatus = 8 reps

410 lbs + apparatus = 8 reps

450 lbs + apparatus = 8 reps

450 lbs + apparatus = 8 reps

Euro 2 Hand Pinch (probably a little heavier since the its about 55 lbs empty at 52 mm but I used 54 tonight so add like 1-2 lbs to everything)

55 lbs = 10 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

125 lbs = 2 reps

135 lbs = 2 reps

145 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

172.5 lbs = 2 reps

172.5 lbs = 2 reps

172.5 lbs = 1 rep

170 lbs = 2 reps

Loadable Blob

26.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

36.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

41.5 lbs = 3 sets of 2 lifts each hand

Internal/External Rotation with homemade Leverage Bar (Hand off knee in air)

10 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps each hand

IM Hub

ISO Squeezes = Three 10 second squeezes each hand.

Had Brian (Matrixsleeper on the GB) over for a training session today. Good times. As always with these training sessions I didn't write anything down because we were moving from one exercise to another quickly. I didn't max out on anything. Just getting some work in. Here are some highlights:

Grippers: I gave my 172 lb RGC Rated (rated by Matt Cannon) COC #3.5 a ride CCS. I think I missed it by 1 mm. If it was closed, it was closed for a brief moment and when the camera wasn't in a good position to see the handles come together. So close. Its going down Soon. Here is the video:

Sledge Hammer Lever to the Forehead: 12 lb Sledge Hammer. I have done this before but this was easy and I got it on camera. See below. My wrist were really weak when I first started training and its nice to see progress. Its the biggest sledge I currently own. Need to buy a heavier one when I have the money. Here is the video:

Bending: Destroyed a Red Nail in single Ironmind Pads and then took down a FBBC Golden Bastard in single Bender's Battlefield wraps. It was pretty easy. Here is the video of the Golden Bastard:

Note: Shoulders and Triceps tomorrow.

Edited by Chez

Spent a couple days at my girlfriend's place in NYC. She actually suggested we go to the gym together since she had a 3 day pass for me. I thought this was pretty cool since my girlfriend isn't into working out like I am (opposites attract). I didn't write everything down since I helped her learn strength training in between my sets. I'll just list the general exercises I did Monday and Tuesday. Everything was 3 or 4 sets like I usually do. I also trained thick bar and bending tonight so I'm a little behind in updating my log.

Monday - Shoulders and Triceps

Dumbbell Shoulder presses

1 Arm at a Time Weight Plate Side Laterals (Used a 25 lb Weight Plate for all the sets)

Dumbbell Rear Laterals (Face down on a slightly inclined bench)

Body Weight Dips

Machine Triceps Extensions

Tuesday - Back

Hyper Extensions - Started with 1 set of body weight and then did sets while holding a 25 lb weight plate.

Dumbell Bent Over Rows

Wide grip Lat Pulldowns

Close grip Lat Pulldowns

Tonight - Thick bar and Bending

- Kept the weight low and got more reps to keep the tendons under tension for longer. This is training and not a competition. I have to keep telling myself that.

Rolling Thunder

Warm up

106 lbs = 8 reps each arm

Working

131 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm

IM Little Big Horn

108 lbs = 3 sets of 4 reps each arm

Bending - All DO in single IMPs and rubber Bands

(2) - 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(2) - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) - 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) - .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) - IM Red Nail. Nice! This one wasn't easy like the last couple but its great that I'm starting to get these every workout.

FBBC 2" V-Bar - super slick unseasoned and looks brand new

155 lbs = 6 reps each hand

155 lbs = 2 sets of 5 reps each hand

Light Chest and Bicep workout tonight.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

175 lbs = 6 reps

Working

205 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Incline Bench Press

175 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Standing Alternating DB Curls

Warm up

22.5 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

Working

42.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Standing Simultaneous DB Hammer Curls

42.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps

Flat Bench Dumbbell Peck Deck Flies

47.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Nice working sets with the flat bench Cesare. You do normal bar or thickbar?

Edited by Geralt

Nice working sets with the flat bench Cesare. You do normal bar or thickbar?

Thanks Geralt. I'm going to be doing higher reps on the bench for a while until I certify on the red nail. Heavy bench pressing decreases my flexibility and makes bending even harder for me. I use a power lifting bar, but its a little thicker than standard. I believe its about 1.2 inches in diameter. Some bars are 1 inch in diameter.

• Like 1

Some Pinch and wrist work today. Felt pretty strong on pinch. Even though I only squeezed out an extra rep or 2 or moved up a little higher in weight, I felt like I could have done more because I wasn't going all out. Grippers and pinch and wrist feel like they are moving in the right direction. I just need to figure out thick bar because its not shown the same improvement.

Euro 2 Hand Pinch

55 lbs = 10 reps

105 lbs = 3 reps

125 lbs = 2 reps

135 lbs = 2 reps

145 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

165 lbs = 2 reps

172.5 lbs = 2 reps

172.5 lbs = 2 reps

172.5 lbs = 2 reps

172. 5 lbs = 2 reps

- My Euro is much slicker than the ones I have used in competition. Last week I wasn't able to do 4 sets of 2 reps at 172.5 lbs at the end, but I got it this week and felt like I had more in the tank. Hopefully this means I can PR at nationals next week. I will be happy with 200+. My current PR is 200.

Block Weights

38 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

45.8 lb Blob = 2 lifts each hand

45.8 lb Blob + 5 lbs = 3 sets of 2 lifts each hand

- again pretty easy. Need to add more weight next week

IM Hub

32 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

42 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

43.25 lbs = 3 sets of 2 lifts each hand

- I have said it a million times but I stink at hubs and I usually have to work hard with this weight at this point in the workout but again it felt easy. More weight next week.

Sledge Rear Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

Sledge Slim Lever from Floor to Shoulder

8 lb Sledge = 5 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps each hand

12 lb Sledge = 1 rep right hand (PR!), Air Left Hand but no lift (Left just not strong enough yet)

10 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

I was going to train legs today, but i decided to go to the park on this beautiful day and shoot basketball since its been a while and I have off from class for memorial day. I quickly got pulled into a game with high school kids. Dang! They made me run full court and chase them. No leg training today since basketball was enough of a workout. Tomorrow I'm going to Mike Sharkey's house after class to train grippers and bending. It will be my last workout this week before nationals on Saturday

Went over Mike Sharkey's for a gripper and bending session last night. I'm pretty tired so I'll wait for later to provide a more detailed write up. I was able to bend the FBBC Bastard that Daniel Reinard sent me in single IMPs and got it on video for the certification. Its a 2011 batch bar so its not as hard as the new ones but I did it in IMPs to make it harder and use it as practice for the Red Nail cert. I bent a red nail in IMPs right before this pretty easily. I feel like I'm getting pretty close to requesting the cert. Just a little more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwHu0j9bZZU

• Like 1

sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Even though I bent the FBBC bastard the other night, I bruised my palm and strained my index finger. I can't make a tight fist right now. That was the first workout that I have ever bent two bars that were red level or harder back to back in IMPs. I'm decently strong but my hands aren't really bender tough yet to keep up with the force I exert. Its not a major issue. I already started contrast baths and its already feeling better. I feel that I will be back to full strength in a week. Unfortunately I have to miss North America Grip Nationals Saturday. It was stupid of me to push myself so hard close to the comp. I'm a stubborn guy. I couldn't hold back and needed to bend the bar at all costs. It was a good lesson. Oh well. There are plenty other competitions coming up. I'll get stronger and come back better. In the meantime I'll keep knocking out gripper and bending certs once I fully heal.

I feel sorry to read that.

I wish you a complete heal as soon as possible.