Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Sounds rough but i don't think your grip is going anywhere.

Thanks bro. I'm exhausted. One test down. I celebrated today by training.

Today I bent some steel, and then hit a light Chest, Triceps and shoulder workout. i keep the weight lifting light because I haven't lifted in weeks and I want to ease my way back into things.

Bending - All DO in IMP Singles and no rubber bands

(2) 60D Nails

(1) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 1/4" x 7" Grade 5 bolt - I had one laying around so I decided to kill it.

(2) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(2) IM Red Nails - Back to Back and each under 1 min. Nice!

(1) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod - Threw it in for more volume. Was going to try another red but decided to quit while I was ahead.

2 Reds Back to Back Under IM Cert Rules.

Barbell Bench Press
Warm Ups
45 lbs = 10 reps
135 lbs = 10 reps
175 lbs = 6 reps
Working
205 lbs = 8 reps
225 lbs = 8 reps
225 lbs = 8 reps
Barbell Incline Bench Press
185 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
61.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps
Close Grip Push Ups with Floor Handles
3 sets of 12 reps

Note: Nice workout to ease back into things. I got a PM from Matt the other day and he told me that the MM5 won't get to me in time before I leave for vacation on Monday so I'll have to postpone the cert until Late August since I have another test right after I get back. Probably for the best. I'll train harder and make sure I'm more prepared.

• Like 1

A vacation will be well deserved I think and afterwards you will be back on track soon enough. Enjoy! At least, that's what I am going to do in about two weeks ;-)

Blimey, did I say they have this small gym on the camping I'm going to? Coincedence....oh, and is that a bag of grippers going into the caravan? :)

Edited by Geralt

I just left the beach im in Savannah GA. pretty sweet place! giving your body a break is great i feel very strong

I just left the beach im in Savannah GA. pretty sweet place! giving your body a break is great i feel very strong

Definitely good to recharge the batteries. I can't wait to get some sun and drink by the pool/beach.

Today I hit a light Back and Biceps workout. Again I'm easing into things so I didn't go nuts.

Ghetto Hyper Extensions/Good Mornings (knees bent, butt against the wall and bend at the waist while holding a plate)

Body Weight = 20 reps

BW + 46 lbs = 4 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm dumbbell bent over rows

61.5 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

81.5 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

103.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Inverted Rows

Body Weight = 3 sets of 10 reps

Standing Barbell Bicep Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 10 reps

75 lbs = 10 reps

85 lbs = 8 reps

90 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps.

Tried to do a leg and pinch workout last night, but my head wasn't in the game. I couldn't focus on the workout so I just stopped half way through. Not worth mentioning in the log. It was one of those days. I leave on vacation tomorrow so I won't be posting for a week. I'll come back to training with a vengeance when the tip is over.

• Like 1

Alright, I lied. 1 more workout before I leave tomorrow.

3 Reds Back to Back to Back in IMP singles, no rubber bands and each under 1 min:

3 reds back to back to back in single IMPs, no rubber bands and under 1 min each.

Going on vacation this week. I'll bend as soon as I get back and if I still feel strong, I'll sign up right away.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my Cruise. Exhausted but it was a lot of fun. I bent some steel tonight.

Bending - All done DO in ironmind pads and no rubber bands.

(2) 60D nails

(1) 60D nail in one ironmind pad

(2) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod Bars

(4) Ironmind Red Nails - Brand new PR. Each one under 25 seconds! Video Below. Time to send Ironmind an email and certifying on this bar. I'll send it tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCt-XCag3NQ

• Like 4

Nice man! that vacation does wonders i realy have notice an increase in strengh!

Great bending by the way!

• Like 1

Nice man! that vacation does wonders i realy have notice an increase in strengh!

Great bending by the way!

Thanks buddy. I watched your MM1 video. You killed it. You should be able to get the MM2 very soon.

Today I did some light thick bar and shoulder work. Nothing too taxing. I'm trying to get back into the flow of training. I sent my Red Nail Certification request to Ironmind and they told me that they will get back to me once they find a judge. I'm going to take everything except bending easy until the cert. I want to make sure I'm ready come cert day. Once the Red Nail cert is over, I'll focus on the MM5 again. I need to get this pesky red nail cert out of the way.

Rolling Thunder (New Handle)

106 lbs = 5 reps each hand

140 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Clean and Strict Press (Put the bar back on the ground after every press)

115 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

- I have almost no experience with clean and presses with any type of bar so I decided to go light and really focus on form. My garage is insanely hot right now. This turned into more cardio which is good because I want to drop a few lbs. The press was super easy.

Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Bent over Rear Dumbbell Laterals (1 arm at a time)

16.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Edited by Chez

Dude you got that red nail cert for sure, I am also excited to see you

close the mm5;-)

• Like 1

Dude you got that red nail cert for sure, I am also excited to see you

close the mm5;-)

Thanks Josh. Sky is the limit for you my friend. I see tons of potential in your videos. Keep chipping away at your goals.

I bent steel tonight. I am waiting on ironmind to get back to me with a judge and I need to stay sharp with steel bending. All my other train is on the back burner. I'm sick and tired of messing around with this cert. I'll still train other stuff but I'll hold back and won't go nuts until the red cert is done.

Steel Bending = All done DO in single IMPs unless otherwise stated.

(2) 60D nails

(1) 60D nail - done 1 Ironmind pad to make it tougher

(2) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod Bars - Both were end pieces which I'm told are tougher.

(1) 5/16" x 7" New Model FBBC Bar - in BBW wraps. Sent to me by Mike Sharkey. These new Bastards are suppose to be much tougher than a red. Video below.

(2) Ironmind red Nails - no problems. Easy money

New Model Batard DO in BBW wraps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwVUyzaUSw

Edited by Chez

Been training but I have fallen behind in keeping the log updated. I wrote everything down so I'll update tomorrow. I bent some steel tonight and worked up an FBBC Big Bastard Bend DO in single BBWs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgV52Zsm66k. Its a newer batch one from Mike Sharkey that I cut down to 6.5 inches. I felt a little tight tonight so its was harder for me to get into position. Dam flexibility issues. I also had some broken skin on my index finger from last session that hasn't fully healed and it broke open a little again on this bend. Not my best stuff but I got the bend no problems.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Awesome work with the Big!

• Like 1

Awesome work with the Big!

Thanks bro. I'm going to put an order in for more FBBC stock soon. I like how convenient the cert process is since its by video and you can use whatever wraps you want.

I have fallen behind in updating this log. I have been busy. I just finished my last test a week ago and I needed some time to get things in order. I'll just give a summary of the stuff that I did this week that I didn't log and write what I did today.

Monday - Legs and grippers. I did light moderate rep squats. Ankle is still acting up. I will most likely need surgery in the future. For grippers I worked up to a single with my 185.8 lb rated MM3 Replica. I felt the handles mash together. Not bad for not really focusing on grippers lately. I might not have too much work to do to cert the MM5 after the red.

Tuesday - Light chest and triceps workout. Dumbbell flat bench and dumbbell incline bench. Close grip push ups with floor handles. Kept things light and did high reps.

Thursday - I some DO bending. I worked up to a big bastard in BBW wraps (5/16" x 6.5" CRS). The video was posted in my last log entry.

Today

light back and biceps.

Double overhand Axle stiff leg deadlifts

115 lbs = 15 reps

165 lbs = 3 sets of 15 reps

Barbell Bicep Curls

45 lbs = 15 reps

65 lbs = 15 reps

75 lbs = 3 sets of 15 reps

Bent over 1 Arm Dumbbell Rows

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 20 reps each arm

Inverted Rows

Body weight = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: keeping the weight lifting light and high rep right now. I just want to give my body some rest. I also want to try and lose a couple lbs and get leaner. My grip and bending workouts will probably stay the same though because I'm still chasing some goals.

• Like 1

Light bodybuilder type shoulder workout tonight. Still keeping the weight low and reps high. Its nice taking it easy. I'll cycle back the heavy stuff in a couple weeks.

Seated Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Press

31.5 lb DBs = 12 reps

52.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 12 reps

Barbell Upright Rows

45 lbs = 12 reps

78 lbs = 3 sets of 12 reps

Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 arm at a time)

27.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 15 reps each arm.

Note: Ironmind sent me an email Yesterday saying that they found me a judge for the red nail certification. I sent him an email early today. Just waiting for him to reply.

still haven't heard back from my judge so I bent some steel tonight. I did some bends in IMPs and some in thicker wraps to protect my hand. My hand is a little sore still and the skin on my index finger just grew back. I used the thicker wraps for the bigger bends to protect my hands so they are ready come red nail cert day.

Bending - DO in IMPs and no rubber bands unless stated otherwise

(2) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(1) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) Red Nail - in BBWs and bands to protect my hand.

(1) FBBC Shiny Bastard - Used BBWs on the inside and small suede on the outside. Killed it. Filmed it for a cert bend. This bar was sent to me by Daniel Reinard. I heard its from pretty tough Shiny stock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElLECWi3aMg

Note: Good enough for tonight. I don't want to go crazy and injury myself before the red cert.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been struggling to keep the log updated lately. I did workout this week but nothing special. I bent Monday and then hit arms and pinch thursday. Been a little busy. I won't bother trying to recall what I did during the week. It was stuff that I usually do anyway and no PRs were set. I'll just start with yesterday since it was my red nail certification. I only had to drive 30 mins to get to my ref's house which was nice.

Red Nail Cert Day - All bends DO in IMPs and no Rubber bands

(2) - 1/4" x 7" round HRS

(1) - 1/4" x 6" Grade 2 bolt

(1) - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) - .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) Red Nail - Killed it in 13 seconds! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRYHP_A4xuA. I just need to fill out the paper work tonight. Felt really good to finally achieve this.

• Like 2

Red Nail Cert is Official: http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Sep/Cesare_Ricchezza_Certifies_on_the_IronMind_Red_Nail.html. I also saw that Ironmind sent out my certificate and T shirt. Pretty cool.

No time to rest though. Time to get back into gripper training. I really want to cert MM5 and the COC #3.5. I put gripper training on the back burning while training for the red nail. Time to bring back my gripper strength. I'm still going to keep bending though. My new bending goal is to certify on the steelbenders.org battle bar. That is going to take a while to accomplish but I don't mind. I'll just keep chipping away. I hit back and grippers Sunday night and Chest tonight.

Sunday - Light Back and grippers

Ghetto Hyper extensions (Butt against the wall, knees slightly bent, bending at the waist)

Holding a 45 lb Weight Plate: 3 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm Bent Over Dumbbell Rows

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 20 reps each arm.

Inverted Rows

Body Weight = 3 sets of 10 reps

Grippers - all reps MMS or slightly wider

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC # .5 = 8 reps

COC # 1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

RB 210 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE =1 rep

Working

172 lb COC #3.5 = 1 rep

174 lb RB 280 = 1 rep

179.7 lb COC #3.5 = 1 rep

172 lb COC #3.5 = 4 sets 3 reps.

- didn't go out. Easing my way back into it. Happy with all the COC #3.5 reps

Left Hand

My left palm is still beat up from bending a lot lately and didn't feel right during warm ups. I decided to stop and give my left hand more time to heal up.

Tonight - Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 15 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

225 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Incline Dumbbell Flies

32.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 12 reps

- I haven't been benching lately in preparation for the red nail cert. Benching messes up my shoulder flexibility, which makes it harder to bend. Time to ease back into it. This was a light session.

Sweet man! Im sure the MM5 is toast, I have been bending alot lately i bent the

0-1 "L" bar today and some 5/16 HRS im posting the videos tomorrow. Nice 3.5 reps

by the way!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet man! Im sure the MM5 is toast, I have been bending alot lately i bent the

0-1 "L" bar today and some 5/16 HRS im posting the videos tomorrow. Nice 3.5 reps

by the way!

Thanks Josh. I saw your bend and it was really impressive. You are progressing quickly. The red nail doesn't stand a chance.

I have been dealing with some stress lately so I haven't been training as much. I did some training this week though. I think I'm going to update the log once a week for a while. I have been busy applying to jobs and it just makes more sense to update all at once for the week's workouts. I'm going to jump back into training though because it helps me deal with stress.

9/11/13 - Bending. All DO in IMPs unless stated otherwise.

(1) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(1) 1/4" x 6" Grade 2 Bolt

(1) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) IM Red Nail

(1) 5/16" x 6" Drill Rod in bender's battlefield wraps. This was a battle. I got the kink no problem but then the bar froze up a little past 90 degrees. The wraps are a little thicker and squishy so my hands kept hitting together at this point and it was still a little wide to interlock my fingers for the crush down. I had to do this over 3 sessions with a couple mins rest in between but I got it! Fights like this will make me stronger. I need to learn the proper technique when this happens with shorter steel and thicker wraps. A bend like this would put me 3rd on the BB cert list if the steel was rated. I have some of these bars rated but I won't use them until I can get this under 3 mins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZGLmAn7jQ4

9/16/13 - Shoulders

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

45 lbs = 12 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

145 lbs = 10 reps

145 lbs = 9 reps

145 lbs = 7 reps

- I haven't been pressing while getting ready for the red nail cert so my press strength is down.

Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 Arm at a time)

27.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm.

Dumbbell Rear laterals (1 Arm at a time)

16.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm.

9/19/13 - Arms and Right Hand Grippers

Dumbbell Curls

22.5 lb DBs = 12 reps each arm

32.5 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

37.5 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

40 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Close Grip Push ups with Floor Handles

Body Weight = 3 sets of 15 reps

Dumbbell Hammer Curls

40 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

1 Arm Dumbbell Extensions

30 lb DB = 3 sets of 12 reps each arm

Grippers - reps MMS unless stated other wise

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC .5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

BBE Medium = 1 rep

Lighter COC #3.5 = 1 rep

Working

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 3 reps

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 wide set close

176.05 lb MM3 Replica = 1 rep

172 lb COC #3.5 = 2 reps

153 lb COC #3 = 2 sets of 3 reps with 1.5" GHP Block Set

153 lb COC #3 = 2 reps with 1.5" GHP Block Set

- I want to cert GHP 8 soon so I'm doing more reps and wider reps to get ready. Gripper Strength is still coming back. My sore left hand is effecting my set strength.

Left Hand

Palm is still not 100% so I'm letting this hand rest.

• Like 2

Thanks Chez, Good work on that beastly bar! Keep it up bro

can't wait to see that MM5 go down!

you just need to get invited for the job application bro, one handshake will settle your job for good. :chris:

you just need to get invited for the job application bro, one handshake will settle your job for good. :chris:

Thanks Geralt. The economy still isn't great over here but I just have to be persistent and things will work out. Just like training.

• 2 weeks later...

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
- Mark Twain -

I'm still kicking. I know I haven't been logging. I have actually trained consistently all week but just haven't had the time or energy to log. I have all the workouts written down though. I'll update either tomorrow or Saturday. Pretty crazy period in my life right now. I spent all day at a job fair in New York City. I was in a suit all day and there was no AC in the building with wall to wall people. I literally couldn't walk most of the time because I was boxed in by people who were trying to talk to recruiters. I turned into a puddle of sweat. I'm a big guy who sweats way way way more than most men. It was tough but I stayed professional and reached out to most of the companies I was interested in.