Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Well goodluck bro, thats a big deal congrats! And i bet your hand shake is

well respected lol.

thanks fellas. Time to get back to updating my log. I decided not to post the week's worth of workouts I have written down. I didn't hit any PRs so I'll just start updating again with today's workout and try to keep on top of it from here on. I trained shoulders, triceps and grippers today. I kept things light and worked on volume.

Grippers - All reps MMS or wider

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

RB 210 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Working

172 lb Cannon Rated COC #3.5 = 5 reps definitely, maybe 6. Here is the video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN92d0l8Za8

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 rep. The rep out with the #3.5 fried my hand so I just decided to get a couple singles even though I could probably get a double.

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 rep

171.5 lb Hard BBE = 3 sets of 3 reps

Left Hand

- My left hand still isn't 100 percent but its improving. My palm is still sore from bending so heavy grippers hurt. I just did some light grippers to loosen it up. Might be another week or 2 until I'm all healed up.

COC sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #1.5 = 2 sets of 5 reps

COC #2 = 5 sets of 3 reps

RB 210 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

GHP 7 = 1 rep

GHP 7 = 1 rep

Extensor work

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand

Seated Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

31.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

42.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

52.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Side Laterals

22.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Close Grip Push ups with Floor Handles

Body weight = 2 sets of 20 reps

Body Weight = 1 set of 15 reps

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Triceps extensions

32.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm.

• Like 1

quick pinch workout. I'm experimenting with lower weight and higher reps. I have had great success with low reps but it wears me down over time. Nothing special this workout. Just getting some volume in and getting back into pinch training.

Ironmind Hub

22 lbs = 5 reps each hand

35 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

1 Hand Pinch Euro

60 lbs = 2 sets of 5 reps each hand

62.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

Blobs

46 lb Blob = 3 sets of 5 lifts each hand

Note: need to increase the 1 HP weight for next time. This weight was too easy. Just getting some time in.

Last night I did some light bending and wrist work. Nothing special. Trying to keep the workouts short and effective.

Bending - All DO in IMPs and rubber bands

(2) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) Ironmind Red nail

- Felt really off with bending. My flexibility was shit. All the bends were done low on my chest. Decided to stop after the red.

Sledge Hammer Dead lift Coin Load to 14.5" Platform

6 lb Sledge = 5 reps each hand

6 lb Sledge = 4 reps right and 3 reps left

6 lb sledge = 3 reps right and 1 rep left (missed the 2nd by a very small margin)

Sledge Rear Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Did some chest work Saturday and grippers tonight.

Chest - Saturday

Flat Barbell Bench Press

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 8 reps

225 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

175 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Incline Dumbbell Flys

42.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Tonight - Grippers - All reps MMS unless otherwise stated

Right Hand

Warm Ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

RB 210 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

GHP 7 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Working

GHP 8 = 3 reps and just missed a 4th

GHP 7 = No set attempt, Maybe. Too close to tell. GHP grippers are tough to no set because they have such a hard sweep.

Original COC #3 = No set close. Felt good to do this again and I got a better video this time. Perfect still of the handles touching = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4an7L1GRckw

Medium BBE = 1 GHP Block Set Close and just missed the 2nd. Hands a little tired from the wide set stuff.

Medium BBE = 1 GHP Block Set Close

Cert COC #3 = 3 GHP Block Set reps

Cert COC #3 = 2 GHP Block Set reps

Cert COC #3 = 2 GHP Block Set reps

Original COC #3 = 1 GHP Block Set Close

GHP 7 = 1 GHP Block Set Close.

- Good enough. Tore a little skin on my pinky finger. I figure that is enough tonight.

Left Hand

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

RB 210 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

GHP 7 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 3 reps

GHP 6 = 3 reps

GHP 6 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps
COC #2 = 5 reps
COC #2 = 5 reps
- Left Hand is still not 100% but is getting better every workout. Feels good to close a #3 with it again.
Extensor Work
IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps with each hand.

Nice work Chez, good to see you on the gripper slayin field omce again.

Are you going to try and cert the Ghp 8, nearly 4 reps shouldn't be that far off a cert close. Great volume also grippers gas my hands out super fast.

You still are doing the king kong contest this saturday right? I have been slacking way off training for it but my pinch is pretty close to yours-you are a bit stronger though- so will look forward to competing against your numbers for fun. Good luck also.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Are you going to try and cert the Ghp 8, nearly 4 reps shouldn't be that far off a cert close. Great volume also grippers gas my hands out super fast.

You still are doing the king kong contest this saturday right? I have been slacking way off training for it but my pinch is pretty close to yours-you are a bit stronger though- so will look forward to competing against your numbers for fun. Good luck also.

I'm hosting the competition at my friend's house this Saturday and I'm going to attempt the cert after. Unfortunately my ankle is in worse shape than I thought and will most likely require surgery in the future. I'm not competing and probably won't be able to compete for a while. If I get the surgery that has been suggesting to me so far, it will take 1 year to fully recover. I'm going for a second opinion Thursday.

Nice work Chez, good to see you on the gripper slayin field omce again.

Thanks Josh, Feels good to focus on grippers again.

Sorry to hear about the ankle I know those injuries can be devastating and take very long to heal -even for a very minor sprain- or can require surgery. I hope that it doesn't require surgery. I would get as many opinions as you can though when it comes to surgery.

Good luck with the cert I think only two other guys have done that cert and the red nail cert.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Sorry to hear about the ankle I know those injuries can be devastating and take very long to heal -even for a very minor sprain- or can require surgery. I hope that it doesn't require surgery. I would get as many opinions as you can though when it comes to surgery.

Good luck with the cert I think only two other guys have done that cert and the red nail cert.

Thanks Stephen. I had 3 opinions and I'm definitely going to have surgery unfortunately. Congrats on your great performance at the comp.

Saturday was the comp and everyone had a fun time. We had 11 guys competing which is a great turn out. I attempted the GHP 8 Cert after and I got it closed. I was able to get a great still of the close. I'm worried about the fact that I was shaking and the gripper may have gone out of frame. I submitted it to Wade though. Now I just have to wait and see. No matter what I will post the video in this log.

Tonight I hit a very quick Back, Biceps and thick bar workout.

1 Arm Bent Over Dumbbell Rows with Fat Gripz

66.5 lb DB = 4 sets of 15 reps each arm.

- Really like this exercise.

Alternating Dumbbell Curls with Fat Gripz

31.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Alternating Hammer Dumbbell Curls with Fat Gripz

31.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Note - I was going to do some assisted Pull ups but its late and I'm pretty tired. I make sure and do the pull ups tomorrow instead.

Nice on the 8 bro.

Congratulations man, that is a very strong cert. A little while before the IM#3.5 will fall. Very cool.

Congratulations man, that is a very strong cert. A little while before the IM#3.5 will fall. Very cool.

Thanks Geralt. I won't stop until I get that 3.5 cert. All my focus is on grippers now.

Congratulations!

Considering how much time you have spent away from heavy gripper training that was a very impressive close. The adrenalin of being with your grip crew must have helped you out to get psyched for that close

The 3.5 cert will be the next to fall

Thanks. I also hope the recovery is quick and fast for your surgery. I know you will come back stronger from it.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

Considering how much time you have spent away from heavy gripper training that was a very impressive close. The adrenalin of being with your grip crew must have helped you out to get psyched for that close

The 3.5 cert will be the next to fall

Thanks. I also hope the recovery is quick and fast for your surgery. I know you will come back stronger from it.

Thanks Stephen. I have already been training wider sets for weeks so I figure I'll keep going with it.

Thursday - Back and wrist

Assisted Pull Ups (Done in a squat cage with my toes on an Olympic bar set on pins on the other side. Just using enough help to keep the set going).

4 sets of 12 reps

Sledge Lever to the Forehead

8 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Supination/Pronation with homemade leverage bar

7.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Extensors

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 30 reps each hand

Tonight - Pinch

Euro 1 Hand pinch

55 lbs = 5 reps each hand

65 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

IM Hub

38 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Blobs

46 lb Blob = 3 sets of 6 lifts each hand

Some Light shoulders and grippers tonight.

Grippers - All Reps MMS or slightly wider unless stated otherwise

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

GHP 7 = 1 rep

Working

GHP 7 = 1 No Set Close. First Time No setting this gripper and it felt super easy. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-6cISOy_iU

Medium Tetting Elite (165.3) = 1 CCS close. Nice! Not a max effort either. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezbpni6ziWM

Original COC #3 = 1 CCS close.

COC #2.5 = 3 CCS Reps

COC #2.5 = 3 CCS Reps

COC #2.5 = 3 CCS Reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Working

Original COC #3 = 2 reps

Original COC #3 = 2 reps

Original COC #3 = 2 reps

Original COC #3 = 2 reps

- Left hand is feeling good. No more pain in the palm and its slowly gaining strength again.

Seated Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

31.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

41.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

52.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Seated 1 Arm Dumbbell Side Laterals

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Bent Over 1 Arm Dumbbell Rear Laterals

16.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm.

Note: I'm going to keep training Wide Set grippers because its really working now and I'm making great progress towards the #3.5 cert. I'll switch over to more heavy MMS work when I shift my focus to the MM ladder. I got some good news tonight. I passed the New York State Bar Exam. Pretty Happy about that.

• Like 4

Nice Chez! Beastly as always.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It was a super tough exam for me. The major reason being that it is a mental marathon. The test is like 12.5 hours long over 2 consecutive days and you have to study for it the summer right after graduating from law school. The New York Bar Exam is known as being one of the toughest (California is also known for being tough). For example, I heard the New Jersey one only has 7 law subjects that can be tested and that every essay will cover each subject. The New York test has like 25 subjects and certain subjects may or may not appear on the test. That means that you can study really hard and know certain subjects really well and they won't even be on the exam. It also means that subjects you don't know well can be on there. Someone who graduated and passed it a year before my class told us its like "getting out of prison, walking around the block and then being thrown right back in your cell." Obviously that is an exaggeration but I found it funny. I really thought I failed the exam. Its such a time crunch and super exhausting that I didn't really have much time to think about my answers. You have to go into machine mode during the test and just keep answering questions. If you second guess yourself and take too much time for some questions, you might not finish. I was shocked when I read the email. I had someone else read it to make sure I really passed haha. I was actually going to start studying for the next test opportunity because I was that sure I didn't make it. Feels good to not have to study for this anymore. I may burn all my study materials for fun :).

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2