Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Heal up and come back even stronger !

I call BS on the injury. you just didn't want me to destroy you on grippers.

ps. I have the quad band you loaned me. want me to mail it or wait until the next comp we both do?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal up very quickly. Like you, I feel terrible about having to miss Nationals. Came down with a nasty stomach virus on Thursday, so no way can I make the eight hour drive.

Thanks guys! Its totally not serious. It just happened very close to the competition. I'll take it easy for a week or so and be back pursing my goals. I have been going very hard for almost 2 years now and have only taken breaks when studying for my finals. I'm going to train my butt off for next years nationals. I will be a year stronger and wiser.

I call BS on the injury. you just didn't want me to destroy you on grippers.

ps. I have the quad band you loaned me. want me to mail it or wait until the next comp we both do?

You can hold on to it for now since I have another gripper rated the same amount. I'm going to try to make gripmas depending on what my work schedule will be like then. I'm sure we will bump into each at another comp.

Chez, ive had that exact index finger issue a time or two. The best thing ive found for helping it along (oddly enough) is light thickbar work. And when i say light, i mean low volume.. Feel free to go as heavy as you like on a said impliment for low reps. Everytime i get a stiff index from imp bending, i do this. And i can usually be back to making a solid fist on the same day, where as i could not make a fist before the thickbar work.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice Tommy. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

Tommy was right about thick bar working for recovery. I have been doing some light thick bar and light gripper work and its helping my hand. I have also been doing contrast baths several times a day. The hand gets a little better everyday. I did a light leg workout on Saturday but isn't worth logging since I took it really easy. My ankle has been giving me problems. The hand is a temporary issue, but the ankle is a major issue. My freaking flat feet over pronate and it causes me a lot of pain so I'm not going to be squatting or deadlifting for a while. I need to let the ankle tendons heal. I have an appointment with the chiropractor tomorrow and my podiatrist later this month. My focus right now is to address these problems. I have been lucky that I have been relatively injury free until this point. This is just a little adversity that I have to overcome. I'll start detailing my workouts again as soon as I feel capable of giving a decent effort. Right now I'll just log my recovery status. This is not a big deal. I just need to fix these problems and work around them.

"Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."

I was pretty bummed when I heard you and Daniel wouldn't be making it and you had injured yourself. That bending is nasty stuff. I'm sure you'll more than make up for it in the coming year and at Nationals 2014!

• Like 1

I was pretty bummed when I heard you and Daniel wouldn't be making it and you had injured yourself. That bending is nasty stuff. I'm sure you'll more than make up for it in the coming year and at Nationals 2014!

I was really pissed off when I bruised my hand because I was really looking forward to meeting you Eric. You are one of the all time greats in grip and bending. Congrats on your performance at nationals. Its really impressive how you were able to drop that much weight in a short time period, make the long trip to Ohio and put up those huge numbers. I'm going to train hard for next year and make sure I stay healthy. Hope to meet you one day.

The really good news is that I woke up this morning and my index finger feels great. Full range of motion. The bruise on my palm is also significantly better. I am able to make a tight fist now. I'm going to try and do a light pinch workout tonight. I have still stay away from grippers and bending (my 2 favorites) because those put lots of pressure on my palm and the palm bruise is the only issue right now. It still stings a little if I press hard on it. Much better though.

Good deal. Sounds as if it wasn't a real serious injury that will lead to anything chronic.

And thanks for the kind words! I still can't resist the occasional reverse bend or horseshoe from time to time.

• Like 1

Today was a good day. Not only did my hand feel much better, but I went to a chiropractor for the first time today. She adjusted my ankle and told me that my orthotics need an adjustment, which I kind of already knew. She gave me a temporary fix by taping material to the bottom of them to raise one side up, but I'm meeting with my podiatrist in 2 weeks for a permanent fix. My ankle felt better immediately. Gives me hope that I can finally nip this problem in the butt. I trained some light pinch tonight.

Euro 1 Hand Pinch

- First time ever training this. I did it because it will make sure that I will use less weight which means less stress on my hand and ankle. I also don't have to change weights as much. Curious if there will be any carryover to the 2 Hand Pinch. I have read varying reports.

55 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

60 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

65 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

70 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

75 lbs = 2 lifts each hand. Testing what to use for the working sets. Probably can't keep this up for multiple working sets so I'll drop down 5 lbs.

70 lbs = 3 sets of 3 lifts each hand

70 lbs = 2 sets of 2 lifts each hand

Block Weights

38 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

44 lb Hex = 2 lifts each hand

46 lb Blob = 3 sets of 3 reps each hand

IM Hub

32 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

40.75 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

39.5 lbs = 2 sets of 2 lifts each hand.

- really weak on this tonight

Note - not bad considering. More contrast baths tonight.

Strong one hand pinch the world record in your weight class is 89lbs considering you just started doing it I would expect big numbers in the future.

For my contest I didn't have any two hand pinch stuff so I just trained one hand pinch and it had carry over so I imagine working with the euro device doing one hand pinch will have some carry over.

Also you could have totally won grippers this year at nationals I think you will be a major contender next year all around but especially with grippers with your current pace.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

Strong one hand pinch the world record in your weight class is 89lbs considering you just started doing it I would expect big numbers in the future.

For my contest I didn't have any two hand pinch stuff so I just trained one hand pinch and it had carry over so I imagine working with the euro device doing one hand pinch will have some carry over.

Also you could have totally won grippers this year at nationals I think you will be a major contender next year all around but especially with grippers with your current pace.

Thanks dude, but I think the only reason that the record is that low is because it isn't contested often and the records on the NAGS site are only updated with contests from the last couple years. I know a couple guys doing well over 100lbs a weight class below me. Adam Glass is one that comes to mind. The good news is that my Euro is noticeably slick compared to the ones I have used in competition. I pull much more on Andrew's and Jedd's Euro. They have had theirs for years so the seasoning is great. There is also a different technique with the 1 hand that I need to master.

ya, I saw the gripper numbers at nationals and think I could have pushed the top guys if I was on. Oh well, next year. I'm trying hard to bring up the other areas of my grip by next year. I want to be a strong competitor on everything. Grippers just come easy to me. I gotta work hard for everything else.

Edited by Chez

usually the one hand pinch hand positioning is so different from 2hp that the carryover seems to be minimal. on the other hand if you make a point to mimic your 2hp hand posture it will knock down the 1hp weight but, should have better carryover, I would imagine. depends on what your training it for.

usually the one hand pinch hand positioning is so different from 2hp that the carryover seems to be minimal. on the other hand if you make a point to mimic your 2hp hand posture it will knock down the 1hp weight but, should have better carryover, I would imagine. depends on what your training it for.

I figured that would be the case, but it looks like I'm going to keep training it for the next couple months since I'm promoting the international King Kong grip competition in NY October 19 http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=40636 and the 1 hand Euro pinch is an event.

I'm a little behind in updating my log. I did light shoulders and triceps yesterday and today I trained thick bar and wrist. My hand is feeling great. I'm only a couple days away from full strength.

Yesterday - Shoulders and Triceps

Shoulder Press Machine

Warm up

70 lbs = 10 reps

Working

110 lbs = 10 reps

110 lbs = 8 reps

110 lbs = 8 reps

110 lbs = 6 reps

-This machine is really hard. Feels much heavier than free weights. It maxes out at 205 lbs so that is good.

Seated Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 arm at a time)

25 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Bent Over Dumbbell Rear laterals

15 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Dumbbell Lying triceps Extensions

35 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Reverse Tricep Cable extensions (1 arm at a time)

40 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm.

Today - Thick bar and wrist

Rolling Thunder

Warm ups

106 lbs = 8 lifts each hand

Working

131 lbs = 8 lifts each hand

134 lbs = 8 lifts each hand

134 lbs = 8 lifts each hand

IM Little Big Horn

Warm ups

83 lbs = 8 lifts each hand

Working

108 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Sledge Lever to forehead

6 lbs = 5 reps each hand

8 lbs = 3 reps each hand

10 lbs = 3 reps each hand

10 lbs = 2 reps each hand

Sledge Coin deadlift to 14.5 inch platform - hand all the way at the end

6 lb sledge = 5 lifts each hand

6 lb sledge = 4 lifts each hand

6 lb sledge = 4 lifts right and 3 lifts left.

Back workout today at my school gym.

Assisted Close Grip Pull Ups (Counterweight Machine)

54 lbs of assistance = 4 sets of 8 reps

Hyper-Extensions

Body Weight = 10 reps

Holding a 35 lb plate = 3 sets of 10 reps

1 Arm Bent over Dumbbell Rows

70 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

80 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

90 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs

145 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Machine Rows

130 lbs = 10 reps

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

Ankle Rehab Exercises

- not going to include exercises/weights/sets. Just going to put this in the log when I do them.

You will notice that those orthopedic soles will help a lot. I had severe shin splints years ago and soles made a huge difference. just make sure you don't get universal ones but the custom made. As long as you don't fix the stance of your feet problems will keep occurring. (I am sounding like a doctor now eh haha). Hope you heal up soon.

Edited by Geralt

A little late updating the log again. I bent steel for the first time since the hand bruise late Friday night and it went a lot better than I thought it would go. Tonight I hit grippers and chest. I was worried about hitting grippers again since right after the bruise I was struggling with a COC #1 and just a couple days ago closing a #3 was difficult. Tonight went a lot better than I thought as well. My hand feels great and I'm unrestricted again.

Steel Bending (All done DO in single IMPs and rubber bands) - Friday

(2) - 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(2) - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) - 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) - .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) - Red Nail Kinked to 20 degrees. Oh well. Not bad for getting back into things. This may have been mental. Next time.

Chest and Grippers - Tonight

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 6 reps

Working

215 lbs = 4 sets of 8 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs = 4 sets of 8 reps

Grippers

Right Hand

Warm Ups

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC # 1 = 5 reps

COC # 1.5 = 3 reps

COC # 2 = 3 reps

COC # 2.5 = 2 reps

COC # 3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Working

174lb RB 280 = 3 reps

174lb RB 280 = 3 reps

174lb RB 280 = 3 reps

172 COC #3.5 = 2 reps

172 COC #3.5 = 2 reps

Left Hand

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC # 1 = 5 reps

COC # 1.5 = 3 reps

COC # 2 = 3 reps

COC # 2.5 = 2 reps

COC # 3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Working

153 lb COC #3 = 2 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 2 reps

147.2 GHP 7 = 3 reps

Note - Not bad on grippers. My set was garbage though. Everything was a wide set because my set strength stinks right now. Even before the bruise I was doing a lot of wide set stuff. Need to focus on MMS and get my set strength back. time to spend a couple months and make a run at the MM5.

• Like 2

Just a quick Bicep workout tonight.

Barbell Bicep Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 10 reps

75 lbs = 8 reps

85 lbs = 8 reps

90 lbs = 8 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

100 lbs = 8 reps

Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls

39 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm

Ankle Rehab Exercises

wow.. .super impressive accomplished goals! :rock

• Like 1

wow.. .super impressive accomplished goals! :rock

Thanks dude. I love setting small incremental goals to keep myself motivated. Plenty more to chase down. Right now I'm focused on the red nail cert, MM5 and 190 on the new model Rolling Thunder and hitting over 200 on the Euro.

Last Night - Bending

- All done DO in single IMPs and with rubber bands

(2) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(2) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) Red nail already kinked to 20 degrees from last session = finished it off. Next time I'll go after another straight red.

Today - Legs

Leg Extensions

150 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

170 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps

Seated Leg Curls

130 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

130 lbs = 2 sets of 8 reps

Leg Press

270 lbs + apparatus = 10 reps

320 lbs + apparatus = 10 reps

360 lbs + apparatus = 10 reps

360 lbs + apparatus = 10 reps

- ankle felt fine of these. kept weight low.

Hip Abduction Machine

170 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Hip Adduction Machine

140 lbs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Calf exercises/ankle rehab exercises

Chez, where are you on the rolling thunder now?

No clue. My PR is 183 but that was a while ago. I stopped training it for a while because I was focused on the axle but I found out the RT carries over to the axle but not the other way around. My ankle is giving me issues so I'm taking a break from the axle and focusing on the RT since I use less weight and its less stress for the ankle. I'm probably around 170 now.

Edited by Chez

What does the mm5 rate at generally? Your last gripper workout was really strong also. Good to see you bending some big steel again.

I really like the rolling thunder as an event in general since it goes by really quick and you are not limited by back strength like you might be with the axle. It seems to be one of the more popular events in Europe also. Will be cool to see you working it more.

Do you every try to tape your ankle to prevent it from rolling when you workout or would that not help for your particular injury?

Edited by Stephen Ruby

What does the mm5 rate at generally? Your last gripper workout was really strong also. Good to see you bending some big steel again.

I really like the rolling thunder as an event in general since it goes by really quick and you are not limited by back strength like you might be with the axle. It seems to be one of the more popular events in Europe also. Will be cool to see you working it more.

Do you every try to tape your ankle to prevent it from rolling when you workout or would that not help for your particular injury?

Thanks Stephen. My last gripper workout felt pretty good, but light by my standards. Just really happy to be crushing #3.5s again after that hand bruise. My set was really off last workout. Hopefully I can get my set strength back soon because its the limiting factor right now. The guys who have tried the MM5 guess it rates 191-193, but that is only a guess since they aren't allowed to be rated. So far the estimates on MM1-MM4 have been pretty accurate. I have Mash Monster replicas in this range so I'll now when I'm ready. I have ankle wraps and a heavy duty sports brace that I wear when I lift. My ankle is getting better all the time. I have been giving it time to heal. My podiatrist just sent my orthotics out for an adjustment so they give me more correction and I'm seeing a chiropractor regularly who adjusts the bones in my foot. I'm going to buy weight lifting shoes also. I'm also concentrating in strengthening the tendons and muscles of the foot. Doing everything I can so I can compete unrestricted next year. This has been holding me back for a while now and I'm sick and tired of it. I'm not going to ignore the problem anymore. I need to nip this in the butt so I can make some noise in competition.

I like the rolling thunder but I see so many lifts that shouldn't pass but do in video of competitions. Its a really easy lift to cheat. I always perform my reps super strict.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Juha should referee every comp! He won't let BS fly!

• Like 1