Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

On that note, I've found jumping on a stationary bike for like 10 minutes and going light on it helps work some soreness out of my legs the day after squatting.

Good pinchin' dude! Yeah that beta-alanine is a favorite among endurance athletes. It really helps keep the acid out for longer workouts and faster recovery times.

I like to do a similar thing as Brent but I will try and do 2-3 light sets a day or two after. Really helps work out the stiffness and gets some blood in there to help with recovery. I'd suggest just 135# for sets of 8-10. Easy peasy.

That sounds like a good idea. I can work in those light sets on a day when I train some aspect of grip. Thanks Jason.

Strong Vulcan work Chez, Specially with your off...left hand! I think there's not much difference between the V1 and V2? Wasn't the spread even wider?

You got stronger I see with the setting, having not trained the Vulcan for a while and still set level 17 relatively easy.

Thanks man. I have never tried a V1 but from what I have read people think the V2 is harder because of the super wide spread making the set even more difficult. The V2 has a spread of about 3.6 inches while I think the V1 has a spread of about 3.1 inches. I was actually surprised I didn't struggle with the set more since I'm rusty with this thing. I think my pressing strength improvement is helping since you really have to use your entire body to set the higher levels on the V2. Level 18 is super hard to set. Its so much harder to set then level 17.

sorry to backtrack - my v2 is just a hair under 3.7.. which is crazy

Ya, that is why so many guys get frustrated with it. It made my set beastly strong and that is why I'm starting to use it again so I can set the really heavy grippers I'm chasing.

On that note, I've found jumping on a stationary bike for like 10 minutes and going light on it helps work some soreness out of my legs the day after squatting.

Ya, I have been doing a little bike work. I'm a pretty big guy so I have been using the bike for light cardio when I can fit it in. I have to find more time for it.

Nice blobin' Chez, time to start adding weight to that thing!

Good pinchin' dude! Yeah that beta-alanine is a favorite among endurance athletes. It really helps keep the acid out for longer workouts and faster recovery times.

Thanks fellas. I'm going to start adding weight (plates on a string) to this blob next week for training. Going to buy a Blob 50 as soon as I can find one for a good price.

Today I trained Shoulders and Triceps. Felt pretty strong today and added a little weight to every exercise.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

125 lbs = 5 reps

Working

150 lbs = 5 reps

160 lbs = 5 reps

170 lbs = 5 reps

175 lbs = 5 reps. Last rep was a grinder. Worked hard and got it.

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises (1 arm at a time)

31.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raises (1 arm at a time)

19 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

Lying Triceps Extensions and Explosive Close Grip Presses

55 lbs = 10 extensions and 10 presses

82.5 lbs = 4 sets of 10 extensions and 10 presses

Note: Tomorrow is legs and grippers. I'm going to start doing my heavy drop set workouts for grippers to make a run at the MM4. I have had people ask me how this technique works so I'm toying with the notion of video taping all my working sets. Might be boring for the more experienced guys but maybe it will help a grip newbie. Its not the only way I train grippers but its by the far the best for me and has helped me make quick gains.

Edited by Chez

"I have to find more time for it"

You and me both. Haha. I'm a big guy too. Got a little belly I'd like to work off.

"I have to find more time for it"

You and me both. Haha. I'm a big guy too. Got a little belly I'd like to work off.

haha. We always find time for the things we enjoy doing and avoid the things we hate. I freaking hate cardio so its easy for me to say I can't find time for it.

I hit Squats and grippers tonight. I hit a brand New RATED GRIPPER MMS PR TONIGHT! so I'm really happy. The PR was with my right hand which felt super strong all day so I new something was going to happen tonight. My left did alright tonight but nothing special. My left hand is still much more inconsistent than my right.

Back Squats

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

237.5 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Front Squats

157.5 lbs = 4 sets of 5 reps

Back Squats - Finisher Set

135 lbs = 10 reps

Grippers - all reps MMS or slightly wider

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

COC #2.5 = 3 reps

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

165.3 lb Elite = 1 rep

171.5 lb Elite =1 rep

Working

176.05 lb MM3 = 1 rep

182.3 lb RB 330 = 1 rep. Brand New PR! Video Below.

- At this point I tried to get several wide set gripper closes I have been working towards on video but missed by a little bit every time. wasted a lot of energy. I'll get them soon.

176.05 lb MM3 = 1 rep

174 lb RB 280 = 2 reps

174 lb RB 280 = 2 reps

174 lb RB 280 = 1 rep

171.5 lb Elite = 1 rep

171.5 lb Elite = 1 rep

Left Hand

Warm Ups

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #1.5 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

Original #3 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Working

165.3 lb Elite = 1 rep

165.3 lb Elite = 1 rep

165.3 lb Elite = 1 rep

159.6 lb RB 330N =1 rep
159.6 lb RB 330N =1 rep
159.6 lb RB 330N =1 rep
153 lb Cert #3 = 1 rep
149.2 lb Original #3 = 2 reps

Here is the 182.3 lb Rated RB 330 Close. Not the greatest quality Video. I had to use my crappy Webcam:

Note: Tomorrow is a rest day. I might just work my calves and extensors.

• Like 4

Nice!

Looks like you had another rep in you, very explosive close. I think I need to switch my gripper day to after squats as well with your current progress you have been making. Are you going to make a run at the mm4 sometime soon? Based on that close it can't be very far away now.

Great job though my goal is 180 gripper this year and you might be good for 190ish this year at your rate.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

Nice!

Looks like you had another rep in you, very explosive close. I think I need to switch my gripper day to after squats as well with your current progress you have been making. Are you going to make a run at the mm4 sometime soon? Based on that close it can't be very far away now.

Great job though my goal is 180 gripper this year and you might be good for 190ish this year at your rate.

Thanks dude. I have been super impressed with your grip and bending strength. I have no doubt you are going to be taking down a 180lb gripper soon. I'm going to be pushing my self hard with grippers in the next 2 months because I want to certify on the MM4 before grip nationals. I have a 185.7 MM3 replica that I want to be able to close no problem before I sign up.

Nice PR man...you're killin' it!

Thanks buddy. I'm just having a blast losing myself in the training.

wow! very nice! another PK and TS in the making... caugh.. MM7 in the next year or two... caugh caugh.. :grin:

Thanks Tommy. I hope to one day be in the same category as those guys. Keep killing the steel because you are on pace to be the greatest Double Overhand bender of all time. Really inspiring to watch.

Edited by Chez

Way to go buddy! That's a freakin' hard gripper!

For some reason I totally missed this comment. Thanks for the support Geralt. I remember buying this gripper and thinking that it would be a long time before I closed it. I picked it up last night just messing around and almost closed it without really trying so I knew it was time to bust out the webcam and it give a real attempt.

• Like 1

What Stephen said. You'd kill an MM4. It's only a pound or two harder than the MM3 but that RB330 has a #4 sized spring and a tough sweep which makes it way harder than a MM3. Sign up!! Great strength Chez!

• Like 1

What Stephen said. You'd kill an MM4. It's only a pound or two harder than the MM3 but that RB330 has a #4 sized spring and a tough sweep which makes it way harder than a MM3. Sign up!! Great strength Chez!

Thanks Daniel. Means a lot coming from you. I just want to wait a little longer because I barely squeaked by the MM3 and I want to close the MM4 more convincingly. I saw you booked your flight for nationals. Really looking forward to meeting and competing with you finally. Should be a lot of fun.

It'll be alot of fun for sure. Should be a big crowd too.

The RB330 is a huge gripper. Dimenstionally the same as a #4 so a parallel set is actually pretty wide. Mine is a 184.5 rated and it feels way harder than the rating. I can almost get the same results almost closing a 192 BBSE. And as you know the sweep is also harder. They say the MM4 is practically the same as a MM3 so it sounds like you will have gas in the tank on it bro. Great job on a monster gripper dude!

Thanks a lot my California grip brothers.

Today I trained Chest and Biceps at my school gym. I was suppose to bring my new 1.25 lb weights plates with me to do my working sets on Bench Press with 247.5 but I forgot them while rushing to class. I had to move up to 250, but I couldn't finish all 5 working sets with it. I got 3 sets of 5 reps and then had to move down to 245 for the last 2. oh well, its good to challenge myself. I'll get it soon. I haven't failed on my planned reps on bench in weeks so its good to have a little adversity.

Bike

20 minutes

Barbell Flat Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

250 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps. the last rep was tough but I got it. I knew I had to move down to 245 next set because I didn't want the spotter touching the bar at all.

245 lbs = 1 set of 5 reps

245 lbs = 3 reps and then rerack and then 2 more reps without resting, something strange happened after the 3rd rep. I felt off balanced as if there was more weight on one side of the barbell. I had to stop because I didn't want to risk injury. I quickly checked the weight and it was same on both sides. I must have grabbed the bar unevenly or shifted to one side of the bench by mistake. oh well.

- next week 5x5 with 247.5 lbs

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs = 8 reps

80 lb DBs = 6 reps

80 lb DBs = 6 reps

- ya, this is weak for me compared to the last time I did incline DBs after flat bench. Triceps are fried from pushing myself on flat bench today. oh well, all that matters is that I'm working hard.

Machine Preacher Curl

70 lbs = 12 reps

100 lbs = 10 reps

110 lbs = 8 reps

Dumbbell Preacher Hammer Curls (1 arm at a time)

30 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

3 - 45 lb plates on each side = 4 sets of 20 reps

Edited by Chez

Really quick Thick Bar workout today. I had to rush since I have plans with my family and my girlfriend today. I'll throw a little extra thick bar in during another work out some time during the week to make it up.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Deadlifts - Conventional Stance

Warm Ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

Working

270 lbs = 4 sets of 5 reps

Rolling Thunder

137 lbs = 3 reps each hand

140 lbs = 2 reps each hand

145 lbs = 2 reps each hand

145 lbs, 140 lbs = 1 rep with 145 and then 1 rep with 140 each hand

140 lbs = 2 reps each hand

Note: Not working out tomorrow. Won't be a complete rest day since I got to help a friend move furniture. For some strange reason I always get asked to help people move :). "I lift things up and put them down"

wrist work today.

Sledge Deadlift Coin Load to 18 inch platform

Right Hand

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps

8 lb Sledge 5 inches from Handle end = 3 reps

8 lb Sledge 5 inches from Handle end = 3 reps

Left Hand

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps

Sledge Lever to Forehead

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

8 lb Sledge = 2 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps each hand

Supination/Pronation with Home Made Leverage Bar

12.5 lbs = 2 sets of 8 reps

IM Wrist Roller (Mounted Shoulder Height and Duct Tape Over Knurling)

52 lbs = 2 times up and down

77 lbs = 2 times up and down

107 lbs = 2 times up and down

107 lbs = 2 times up and down

Sledge Rear Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

Lever From Floor to Shoulder

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

Light Bending - All DO in IMPs

3 60D Galvanized Nails

1 Grade 2 Bolt

Killer wrist work man. Nice! You seeing wrist strength gains, size gains, and carryovers?

Killer wrist work man. Nice! You seeing wrist strength gains, size gains, and carryovers?

Thanks Dan. I realized I had weak wrists during my first grip competition and I'm tired of losing medley points because of it. Last year's grip nationals had lots of wrist items in the medley. I'm definitely seeing wrist strength gains since I dedicated a workout each week to wrist work and a little size increase. It has been helping my regular weight lifting as well like on the pressing movements. I feel more stable on the bench press etc.

I did a light shoulder and triceps workout today. I'm bench pressing on Thursday so I didn't want to go nuts.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

Working

135 lbs + Red Rogue Bands (30 lbs resistance) = 3 sets of 8 reps

Upright Barbell Rows

Warm Up

45 lbs = 10 reps

Working

95 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raises (1 Arm at a time)

21.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps each side

Close Grip Push Ups

5 sets of 10 reps

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Legs tonight. I was freaking tired after night class and getting home past 10 pm but I forced myself through this workout. Legs are slowly getting stronger and squats are feeling more comfortable by the day.

Back Squats

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

240 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Front Squats

160 lbs = 4 sets of 5 reps

Back Squats - Light Finisher Set

135 lbs = 10 reps

Note: When I was younger I would have skipped leg day if I was tired, but look where that got me - weak legs. Not doing that anymore. I'll keep doing these until I get good at them.

• Like 1

Nice work Chez, I never use to like doing legs either, but one of my favorites. Did you get those shoe inserts?

• Like 1

Glad you're getting more comfortable with the squats. Fun stuff

• Like 1

Thanks fellas.

Tom = I finally got my custom orthotics. I'm still in the breaking period where my feet are getting use to them but I can tell they are going to make a huge difference. I'm excited about being able to squat and deadlift pain free. Most days walking has hurt these past couple months. It has been really miserable dealing with daily pain.

Today I met with my friend and trained Chest and Biceps. Hit a new high on 5x5 Bench Press so I'm happy.

Barbell Flat Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

247.5 lbs = 5 Sets of 5 Reps. Got every rep. Really happy about that.

Dumbbell Decline Bench Press

75 lb DBs = 10 reps

85 lb DBs = 10 reps

85 lb DBs = 10 reps

Preacher Curl Machine

70 lbs = 10 reps

90 lbs = 10 reps

100 lbs = 10 reps

110 lbs = 8 reps

110 lbs = 8 reps

• Like 1