Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Great effort Chez! Started laughing was you said it was turning into a cardio session lol. Way to stick with it

Thanks guys! I just found out that the HOSS #3.5 is coming this week so I will lay off the grip training this week until it comes to make sure my hands are fresh for when it gets here. I'm not going to get any stronger in a couple of days anyway. I just gotta make sure I psych myself up and it give it everything I have because this will be right at my max with a 1 inch block set.

• Like 2

You got it Chez, all day. No doubt it's within your kill range. Smash!

Thanks Dan. No matter what happens, I'm going to have fun with it. Crazy Chez is going to come out. A lot of wine will be consumed for this cert.

Today I hit some light shoulders and triceps. I have 2 night classes tonight back to back and I'm a little tired so I didn't go all out during this session. Just getting some work in.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Presses

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Working

135 lbs = 8 reps

140 lbs = 8 reps

146 lbs = 8 reps

151 lbs = 8 reps

Dumbbell Bent Over Rear Laterals (1 Arm at a time)

16.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Lying Triceps Extensions and Explosive Close Grip Bench Press

77 lbs = 4 sets of 10 extensions and 10 Presses

Note: Tonight when I get back from class I'm going to be doing stretches to help me get into proper DO bending position. I need to get the red cert and nothing is going to stop me.

Edited by Chez

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Thanks Buddy. I'll get it by any means necessary.

Tonight I hit squats. Increased the volume a little by lowering the weight to start the working sets and steadily increased it. I also made an appointment for Friday for custom made foot orthotics. Tired of having my flat feet hold me back on squats and deadlifts. Time to get serious about my goals.

Back Squats

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

207 lbs = 5 reps

218 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

227 lbs = 5 reps

230 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

237 lbs = 5 reps

240 lbs = 5 reps

Front Squats

135 lbs = 5 reps

140 lbs = 5 reps

145 lbs = 5 reps

150 lbs = 5 reps

Note: Meeting my buddy for chest and bicep work at the gym tomorrow. Going to do some Calf and hamstring work as well since the gym has machines which target those areas.

Hit Calves, Hamstrings, Chest and Biceps today at my school gym. Pretty good day today. felt strong. Bench press continues to increase and my curls felt real good.

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

2 45's each side = 30 reps

2 45's and a 25 each side = 3 sets of 30 reps

Seated Hamstring Curl Machine

110 lbs = 10 reps

120 lbs = 8 reps

130 lbs = 8 reps

140 lbs = 8 reps

Barbell Bench Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

240 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

- Felt good. more weight again next week.

Incline Barbell Bench Press

210 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Barbell Bicep Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 8 reps

75 lbs = 8 reps

85 lbs = 5 reps

95 lbs = 5 reps

100 lbs = 5 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

110 lbs = 5 reps

Still no Hoss #3.5 :(. I was really hoping it would come today so I could make my attempts tomorrow. Oh well. I had to train grip tonight. I'm the kind of guy who responds to high frequency training so I can't take too long a break. I hit grippers and wrist training tonight. I didn't go all out but I practiced for the HOSS #3.5 by using a 1 inch Block Set for my Right hand working sets. My left felt off on grippers so I just got some volume in MMS. Left still isn't as consistent as my right.

Grippers - MMS unless stated otherwise

Right Hand

Warm ups

67.8 lb GNC 100 = 10 reps

83.3 lb COC #1 = 10 reps

112.7 lb COC #2 = 5 reps

133.4 lb COC #2.5 = 3 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 2 reps

153 lb COC #3 = 1 rep

159.6 lb RB 330N = 1 rep

165.3 BBE = 1 rep

Working - All these were singles done with a 1 Inch Block Set to prepare for the HOSS #3.5

171.5 lb BBE = missed by hair. Didn't like that. My CNS wasn't fired up and I was too casual about that attempt

171.5 lb BBE = Good. That is more like

174 lb RB 280 = Good. Nice. Wasn't even trying hard

174 lb RB 280 = Good. Killed that one with an overcrush

174 lb RB 280 = Missed by a hair. Bad set and pinky slipped off.

174 lb RB 280 = Good

174 lb RB 280 = Good. Making this gripper my bitch this workout and I'm not even psyched up.

165.3 lb BBE = Good. That is enough for today.

Left Hand

Warm ups

67.8 lb GNC 100 = 10 reps

83.3 lb COC #1 = 10 reps

112.7 lb COC #2 = 5 reps

133.4 lb COC #2.5 = 3 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 1 reps

159.6 RB 330N = 1 rep

Working

165.3 BBE = 1 rep

153 COC #3 = 2 reps

149.2 COC #3 = 2 reps

149.2 COC #3 = 2 reps

149.2 COC #3 = 2 reps

145.2 FBBC 4X = 3 reps
145.2 FBBC 4X = 3 reps
145.2 FBBC 4X = 3 reps - That is enough for tonight. Left hand is feeling off tonight.
Extensor Work
Blue IM Band = 5 sets of 30 reps both hands
Sledge Deadlift Coin Load
Right Hand
8 lb Sledge 5 inches from handle end = 3 lifts
8 lb Sledge 5 inches from handle end = 2 lifts
8 lb Sledge 5 inches from handle end = 2 lifts

Left Hand
6 lb Sledge = 3 lifts
6 lb Sledge = 1 lift + 6 lb Sledge 3 inches from handle end = 2 lifts
6 lb Sledge 3 inches from handle end = 3 lifts
Standing Sledge Lever to Forehead

Right Hand

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps both hands

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps both hands

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps both hands

8 lb Sledge = 4 reps both hands

Sledge rear weaver stick lift

8 lb Sledge = 3 lifts both hands

8 lb Sledge = 3 lefts both hands

6 lbs Sledge = 5 lifts both hands

Supination/Pronation with home made leverage bar (forearm on thigh and hand and weight in air)

10.5 lbs = 8 reps both hands

10.5 lbs = 8 reps both hands

7.5 lbs = 8 reps both hands real slow
Slim lever from floor to shoulder
8 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 3 reps with both hands
Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Nice sledge work Chez!

Thanks Tom. My wrist strength has always been a weakness so I'm working hard to bring it up.

I found out that the HOSS #3.5 hasn't been sent out yet because the guy who is in charge of the grippers has a lot going on in his personal life. No worries. I'll just continue to train and get better while I wait. I didn't do much today since I had to shovel snow for 2 hrs because we got hit with a big snow storm last night. I just did some DU bending. I just started to train this style and I'm working hard to get better at it. In the next couple weeks I plan on training reverse as well so I can be a well rounded bender.

Bending - All done DU

In single IMPs and rubber bands

2 Grade 2 Bolts

1 60D Galvanized Nail

One IMP annd no rubber bands

1 60D Galvanized Nail - Video below

Note: That is it today. Shoveling really tired me out.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

For the bending it is best to stick to a style. I say this for two reasons. The first is if you want to cert the red you need to be doing only DO. You won't be DUing or reversing a red in IMPs anytime this year. Those styles take alot of time. So if the cert is something you want then only do DO. Second, if you'd rather be a well rounded bender and forgo the red for a while you need to work the different styles in cycles, just like grip. Do one style for a few months then when you feel worn out from that you change to a different style and so on. It's the same with what we do with grippers, pinch, axle, wrists, blobs, feats, etc. My opinion on the matter is do the red cert. With that done you'll be a little more free to take whatever path you choose. And as a gripster it's going to be really tough to be an all around bender without quitting grip and focusing on bending. Most the styles take a long time to build up. I was at that crossroad 2 years ago. I had to choose what I wanted to be great at. I chose grip. Then on occasion I do little bending sprees. I'm talking like once every 6-9 months. And slowly I'm bringing up the bending all around. I haven't had the desire to quit grip and really up the all around bending game. I hope this helps you choose what it is you want more. This is one of those situations that you can progress slowly at everything or be great at one hobby and progress slower in the other.

You are definitely right Dan. I know I struggle big time with DO technique and its super frustrating. Sometimes I get a little bored and like to try different stuff to keep training interesting. I still going to focus primarily in DO and just do stuff like this here and there. I actually practiced 7 inch DO tonight by bending my first piece of 7 inch M drill rod.

Bending

Single IMPs and rubber bands

2 Grade 2 Bolts

3 60D Galvanized Nails

1 Grade 5 Bolt

Single Benders Battlefield Wraps

7 inch long M Drill Rod Bar - picture below

- my right index finger felt pretty sore and tender during my warm ups bends so I decided to be smart and switch to Benders Battlefield Wraps for this bend. I'm still in the process of toughening up my hands for bending. Going to keep doing volume bends with light steel to get them tough.

7 Inch M Drill Rod

• Like 1

Lower Back and Thick bar today. I used lower weight and did more volume. I was going to do some upper back stuff but I ran out of time before night class tonight. I'll make it up later in the week.

Olympic Bar Deadlifts (Conventional stance and mixed grip)

Warm Ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

275 lbs = 5 reps

Working

325 lbs = 5 reps

325 lbs = 5 reps

325 lbs = 3 reps

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Deadlifts (Conventional Stance)

Warm ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

Working

255 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Rolling Thunder

131 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

134 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

141 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

146 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

131 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

What's the deal with BB wraps? Are they a little bit bigger than IMPs? Where can you get them?

They are made out of Cordura just like IMPs but they are a little heavier and thicker. I got mine from a friend so I had to search benders battlefield to find out where you can buy them. PM Mike Krahling on steelbenders.org to buy them. They cost 7 bucks a pair. I wouldn't use them that often if you plan on certifying on the red nail. You should get use to IMPs for that Cert. I used them the other night because my index was finger was killing me and I needed more padding to protect it.

• Like 1

No rest for the wicked. I met up with my friend at my school gym and hit shoulders, triceps and mid back. Good workout. I'm nice and sore.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

The gym got rid of the old setup for barbell shoulder presses so we had to use the new power rack they put in. This was awkward because of the design of this rack and the bench. Wasted lots of energy racking and on racking the weight and this effected the amount of weight was able to press. Weights lower than usually for me as a result. Next time I using the dumbbells for this exercise at this gym.

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Working

135 lbs = 5 reps

145 lbs = 5 reps

150 lbs = 5 reps

155 lbs = 5 reps

160 lbs = 5 reps

Upright Rows

Warm up

45 lbs = 10 reps

Working

85 lbs = 8 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

100 lbs = 8 reps

Dumbbell Rear Laterals (face down on a 30 degree bench)

15 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dips (Just using Body Weight)

- Not an easy exercise for me at 260 lbs and a 6'7" wingspan but the hard exercises usually give the best results.

8 reps

8 reps

8 reps

8 reps

6 reps

Row Machine

150 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: Taking a rest day tomorrow and cutting the brand new rubber that just came for my 2 Hand Pinch Euro. I can now make all the standard widths. I'll finally be able to use the right width for me in training and this should help my pinch increase.

• Like 1

Hit Legs today. Yesterday I went to the podiatrist and he made plaster molds of my feet to make me custom orthotics. I have had flat feet my entire life but they started to hurt bad since I have gotten serious about strength training. My ankle pronates in whenever I try to squat or deadlift heavy. I have dealt with this pain for months and I can't take it anymore. Its holding me back from making gains on squats and deadlifts. Surprisingly My ankle felt great yesterday and today so I was able to train legs without pain today.

Back Squats

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

230 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Front Squats

145 lbs = 5 reps

150 lbs = 4 sets of 5 reps

Note: Brian from the gripboard is coming over for a training session tomorrow morning. These are always a free for all but I'm going to focus on pinch and bending. We are also going to try and video some of his lifts to get him to qualify for nationals. We gotta represent NY.

Had Brian (matrixsleeper) and my friend Joe over for a training session yesterday. We hit Euro 2 Hand Pinch, Rolling Thunder and Bending. Bending was the big highlight of the day for everyone and took up most of the training session.

Here are my 2 best bends of the day: 7 inch M Drill Rod and a Red Nail double overhand in Bender's Battlefield Wraps. My index finger is still a little sore. I'll go back to only IMPs as soon as its fully healed.

• Like 2

Watched the vid on FB and you guys were having one helluva session. Good stuff!

• Like 1

Watched the vid on FB and you guys were having one helluva session. Good stuff!

Thanks Jason! It was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Chest and Biceps Today. I have a week off from school this week and my friend that I have been lifting with went home so I didn't have a spot. I didn't raise the weight like I planned because of this. I figure I would be smart instead and wait for him to come back next week.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warms ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

241 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

210 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Barbell Bicep Curl

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 8 reps

75 lbs = 8 reps

87 lbs = 5 reps

92 lbs = 5 reps

97 lbs = 5 reps

102 lbs = 5 reps

107 lbs = 5 reps

112 lbs = 5 reps

Nice work with the pressing! I've done some pressing with an EZ bar, for close grip, feels more natural for the wrist in that close position. I also

put my Fatgripz Extreme on the EZ bar, I could now really feel those tri's working! Have been looking a while for a cage like you have...still to expensive... :(

Nice work with the pressing! I've done some pressing with an EZ bar, for close grip, feels more natural for the wrist in that close position. I also

put my Fatgripz Extreme on the EZ bar, I could now really feel those tri's working! Have been looking a while for a cage like you have...still to expensive... :(

Thanks buddy. I have been using the 5X5 training routine and its working well. My bench press strength is starting to come back. Every week I try to add a little more weight. Next week I'm going to try doing my working sets with 245 lbs when I have a spotter again. I'm also going to try doing 5X5 with my squats and deadlifts. Hopefully my new orthotics come soon so my squats and deadlifts can catch up to my bench press.

I got lucky with the Cage. My friend sold to me for practically nothing. I wouldn't be able to afford a new one. The cheapest ones I have seen are still a couple hundred bucks.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

5x5 is a great scheme, especially when you're trying to work back into a lift.... But eventually, you hit a wall with it, and the only way around that wall is to switch things up. Haha. Ride it out while it's working, just be ready to switch to something else.