Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

I am deep into finals studying so I have to put off training until finals are over December 14th. Its going to be pure hell until it is over and I'm going to miss strength straining during this period. I plan on coming back with a vengeance when its over.

I'm sure it'll be good to rest before you go balls out on training again. Probably a good thing you're forced to rest on occasion.

Now's my chance to catch up! Assuming your free the weekend of the 22nd lets get another grip session.I'm off that whole week too so whenever your free.

Half way done with finals. Can't wait to train again as soon as my last one is over Friday. I see it as a reward for working hard.

P.S. - I'm always signing up for the MM3 as soon as finals are over. I feel stronger on grippers than I ever have been and I want another shot at that thing.

• Like 3

I got back to training yesterday. I was just too busy to update the log. Here is yesterday's workout. Grippers and squats.

Grippers - reps MMS unless otherwise stated

Right Hand

Warm ups

Vulcan V2

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 5 reps

L 9 = 3 reps

L 12 = 1 rep

149.2 lb rated COC #3 = 1 rep

159.6 lb rated RB330N = 1 rep

165.3 lb rated BBE = 1 rep

Working

171.5 lb BBE = 1 rep

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 rep

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 rep. That one was wider than MMS

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 rep

174.6 lb GHP 8 = 1 rep - 4th straight single and on all of them the handles clicked. Made the GHP 8 my bitch.

171.5 lb BBE = 1 rep

Left Hand

Warm ups

Vulcan V2

L 3 = 10 reps

L 6 = 5 reps

L 9 = 3 reps

L 12 = 1 rep

149.2 lb rated COC #3 = 1 rep

Working

149.2 lb COC #3 = 1 CCS rep - messed up the video

149.2 lb COC #3 = 1 CCS rep - finally got it on video. See video below

159.6 lb RB330N = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

Squats

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

225 lbs = 5 reps

230 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

Note = I did the gripper work in between the squat sets. Grippers felt really strong. GHP 8 felt easy. Getting myself pumped up for the MM3 which should be here soon.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. It feels good to be back training. I hit Chest and Triceps today. I moved the reps a little higher and decreased the weight. I'm going to experiment with slightly higher reps on upper body stuff. I have been feel really tight and stiff across the upper body and its killing my DO bending. I'm going to see if this helps. Right after I attempt the MM3, I'm going to hit bending hard again.

Flat Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

177 lbs = 8 reps

Working

205 lbs = 8 reps

215 lbs = 8 reps

225 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 10 reps

Incline Bench Press

177 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 8 reps

190 lbs = 5 reps

190 lbs = 5 reps

EZ Curl Bar Lying Triceps Extension + Explosive Close Grip Bench

(I do a set of extensions and then immediately do a set of close grip bench with the weight as explosive as possible. Both count as one set)

53 lbs = 10 extension + 10 presses

53 lbs = 10 extension + 10 presses

58 lbs = 10 extension + 10 presses

58 lbs = 10 extension + 10 presses

63 lbs = 8 extension + 8 presses

63 lbs = 8 extension + 8 presses

Some Pinch Work Tonight. Messing around with the width on my Euro by trying a narrower width and immediately didn't like and went back up to a wider width.

2 Hand Pinch Euro

Warm Ups (48 mm Thickness)

58 lbs = 10 reps

108 lbs = 5 reps

128 lbs = 3 reps

138 lbs = 2 reps - It was at least point that I decided this width is just too narrow.

Working (54 mm Thickness)

140 lbs = 3 reps

150 lbs = 3 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

161 lbs = 2 reps - I was going to keep going but the thumb webbing started to tear so I decided to call it quits. Wasted time with the other width.

- I still need to work on the setup this week. I need to order the other rubber spacer material since I hate the stuff I have. Ideally I would pinch at 50 mm or 52 mm but I can't make that with my material. I might take a trip to sears tomorrow and make this my project for the day since the comp is getting close.

Loadable Blob

26.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

40.75 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

IM Hub

38 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

Note - I gotta fix this Euro Setup tomorrow. I have the time now. I'm on a mission tomorrow.

Fun training session at my house with 4 guys this morning. We simulated the big 3 grip contest events: 1) Grippers with a 20mm Block set (both hands), 2) 2 hand pinch Euro and 3) DO Axle Deadlift. As always, I didn't write everything down during this group training session but I remember the highlights.

1) Grippers 20mm Block Sets (Both Hands): We started with the right hand and I have to admit I was off today right hand. I missed my GHP 8 twice and I have been dominating it in training. I ended up closing my 174 lb Rated RB 280 on my 4th attempt (I also closed my 171.5 lb Elite on my 2nd attempt between the 2 GHP 8 misses). The RB 280 Its only .6 less than my GHP 8 (174.6) but just felt much easier. I slammed it closed with ease. GHPs tend to feel harder than their rating. I set a PR Lefty by closing my 165.3 lb rated Elite with a 20mm block set. I have closed this gripper MMS lefty before but never with a block set (don't think I have ever tried). I attempted my 171.5 lb Elite Lefty on the 4th attempt, but it was just too much for me lefty today. This is my new goal gripper lefty right now.

2) Euro 2 Hand Pinch: I have never really gone all out on my Euro Setup. I pulled about 190 on my third attempt (just going by the manufacturer number on the plates. They are postal scale rated but I didn't bother adding up all the fractions and I rounded my setup to 60lbs even though I remember it weighing 60.6 lbs on a bathroom scale. I still need to weigh the empty setup on a postal scale. 190 felt easy but I think I wore myself out by coming into low on my first attempt and second attempts. I tried 200 lbs but I couldn't break the ground with it. This is a big PR on my setup. I think I can get 200 lbs + on a setup that has been used for numerous competitions like Andrew Durniat's or Jedd's.

3) Double Overhand Axle: My axle lifts have been very inconsistent the last couple months. Some days I have felt strong and others weak. I opened with 305 lbs which went up with ease. I then lifted 315 without a problem. I lifted 325 third attempt. I was going to go 335 next but the guys encouraged me to put 340 on the bar and hit a PR. I got it! Pretty happy about that. By far the most I have ever lifted DO on my axle (For some reason mine has always felt slick to me). My previous PR was at the Druniat comp back in February at roughly 337.

- After this me and Nate did a couple other medley events really quickly before going out to lunch. The highlight I remember is hitting 46.5 lbs on my stronger grip loadable blob. This was a PR for me on this implement. I still really need to bring up my block weights.

Note: good times. The MM3 is probably coming tomorrow, but I won't make my attempts until Wednesday to give my hands time to rest. I need to put my sub par right hand gripper performance today out of my mind and not let it get to me. When the MM3 gets here, I am going to attack it and give it everything I got.

• Like 2

Chez, i know this sounds crazy.. but trust me on this one. after you warmup for your MM3 attempt, go straight to vacuuming your house.. vacuum the whole house. the vibrations from the vacuum will have your CNS warmed up like a mutha. i had wondered why i was only strong on grippers after i get off work.. and i found the reason to be 2 things, 1 the fact that i run impact tools all day with hella vibration, and 2, the fact that my truck has pretty loud duels and vibrates the whole truck when running. so after all day at the shop, and after a 30 minute tooth chattering drive home of gripping a vibrating steering wheel tight, my hands are as hot as they can be for a gripper attempt. so the closest thing i can think of to vibrating power tools (and something that most people have in theyre house) is a vacuum cleaner.. so this is what i recommend..

like i said, i know this sounds crazy... but give it a try and let me know what you think. word.

haha, I like the idea and I'm going to test it out. Honesty my place has become super messy these past couple weeks because of studying for finals so I actually really need to vacuum anyway. I'm sure my family will thank you for this idea. Thanks buddy. I'm always open to suggestions from fellow grip guys.

• Like 1

Chez, i know this sounds crazy.. but trust me on this one. after you warmup for your MM3 attempt, go straight to vacuuming your house.. vacuum the whole house. the vibrations from the vacuum will have your CNS warmed up like a mutha. i had wondered why i was only strong on grippers after i get off work.. and i found the reason to be 2 things, 1 the fact that i run impact tools all day with hella vibration, and 2, the fact that my truck has pretty loud duels and vibrates the whole truck when running. so after all day at the shop, and after a 30 minute tooth chattering drive home of gripping a vibrating steering wheel tight, my hands are as hot as they can be for a gripper attempt. so the closest thing i can think of to vibrating power tools (and something that most people have in theyre house) is a vacuum cleaner.. so this is what i recommend..

like i said, i know this sounds crazy... but give it a try and let me know what you think. word.

dude that is funny as hell, but you are probably right... too bad i can't mow the grass...

good luck Chez!!

dude that is funny as hell, but you are probably right... too bad i can't mow the grass...

good luck Chez!!

Thanks dude. Congrats again on your MM0 cert. I saw that Elite video you just posted. You are ready for the MM1. The MM2 is going to feel just like your Elite.

I did a real quick workout today. My big loud Italian family is coming over soon so I had to hurry and sneak this workout in. Nothing special. Just maintenance work.

Standing Calf Raises

45 lb Olympic Bar across my back = 4 sets of 30 reps

- I have very bad flat feet and they cause my ankles to pronate inwards when lifting heavy or playing sports. My left ankle started to act up after yesterdays training session. This exercise always helps me. I need to do them more to strength the ankles. The weight is very low because I'm focusing on the stretch and form and trying to rehab my ankles. I'm going to slowly add weight till my ankles are stronger.

Seated Barbell Overhead Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

Working

145 lbs = 8 reps

145 lbs = 8 reps

145 lbs = 7 reps

Dumbbell Side Laterals

25 lb DBs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Note: The MM3 arrived in the mail today. I'm going to do my attempts early Wednesday. Absolutely no grip work until then. Maybe I will do a little bicep work later on tonight.

Edited by Chez

good luck Chez!!

Thanks dude. Congrats again on your MM0 cert. I saw that Elite video you just posted. You are ready for the MM1. The MM2 is going to feel just like your Elite.

I did a real quick workout today. My big loud Italian family is coming over soon so I had to hurry and sneak this workout in. Nothing special. Just maintenance work.

Standing Calf Raises

45 lb Olympic Bar across my back = 4 sets of 30 reps

- I have very bad flat feet and they cause my ankles to pronate inwards when lifting heavy or playing sports. My left ankle started to act up after yesterdays training session. This exercise always helps me. I need to do them more to strength the ankles. The weight is very low because I'm focusing on the stretch and form and trying to rehab my ankles. I'm going to slowly add weight till my ankles are stronger.

Seated Barbell Overhead Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

Working

145 lbs = 8 reps

145 lbs = 8 reps

145 lbs = 7 reps

Dumbbell Side Laterals

25 lb DBs = 4 sets of 10 reps

Note: The MM3 arrived in the mail today. I'm going to do my attempts early Wednesday. Absolutely no grip work until then. Maybe I will do a little bicep work later on tonight.

Hurt that gripper in ways it has never known.

• Like 1

Hurt that gripper in ways it has never known.

I suppose squeezing the spring hard enough to break it would qualify. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. Your support means the world to me and fuels my workouts. I did it! 16th man to officially close the MM3! I'm just really really happy. When I first signed up for the Gripboard in August 2011, I saw how only a few guys had certified MM3 and how it was a great separator. I knew that I wanted to be on that list very badly and I was willing to put the hard work in to get there. I am a little late updating the log. Below is the workout on cert day and tonight.

Yesterday - MM3 Cert Day

Exercise Bike

- 10 mins on level 9 resistance

Light Back Squats

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 5 reps

145 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Grippers

Vulcan V2 - dipped black spring

Level 3 = 8 reps

Level 6 = 3 reps

Level 9 = 3 reps

Level 12 = 1 rep

152.7 lb Rated BBGM = 1 rep

165.3 lb Rated BBE = 1 rep

171.5 lb Rated BBE = 1 rep

MM3 - Took all three attempts. I browned out and fell to the ground on the first attempt. Picked myself recovered and closed it on the 2nd and 3rd attempts. I'll upload the edited video to the log with stills of the sets and closes tomorrow (Its a big file). I barely passed this certification. It took everything I had.

• Like 1

Tonight - 12/27/12 - Thick bar and back. I am feeling a little sick tonight but I pushed through the workout even though my energy is low and I feel like shit.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Deadlifts

Warm ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

Working

275 lbs = 5 reps

285 lbs = 3 reps

290 lbs = 3 reps

295 lbs = 2 reps - just feeling out of it tonight so I called it quits there.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Stiff Leg Deadlifts

185 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

1 Arm Bent over Dumbbell Rows with Fat Gripz

75 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps right and left hand

Note - Hopefully I don't get really sick. Started taking medicine.

Might have drained the tank on that wicked MM3 close. Sometimes an effort like that has me feeling sick. Eat and sleep. Should be closing MM4s in no time!

• Like 1

Huge motivation buddy. Don't get sick! I'm a few days on the couch now, seeing a lot of guys PR-ing and it's frustrating as hell. Still having HUGE headaches.

F..king flu/cold. Feeling like an old tart.

So how did the MM3 feel to you, I mean, how would you rate the feel on comparison to other grippers?