Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Looking good man. The level 7 is going to be nothing for you.

Since I've seen you do 5.8 reps (basically cold) on the GHP7, I expect nothing less than 6 reps! :rock

• Like 2

Looking good man. The level 7 is going to be nothing for you.

Since I've seen you do 5.8 reps (basically cold) on the GHP7, I expect nothing less than 6 reps! :rock

Is that what a gripster calls cardio?

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I don't usually train higher reps since I see very little carry over to max closes. I feel 1-3 reps on working sets is ideal for building power for max closes. I gave the GHP 7 cert a shot today in between school and work. This was a light gripper session today. I just warmed up and then went for the cert. I also did a light session with my left hand to keep things in balance.

Grippers - All reps MMS/parrarell unless stated otherwise

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Trainer = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #1.5 = 5 reps

GHP 5 = 3 reps

GHP 6 = 3 reps

Working

GHP 7 Certification Attempt = 5 reps with the 1.5 inch GHP Set Block. I wanted 6 reps but I didn't even try the 6th rep because I knew it wasn't happening. Its harder to do controlled reps while keeping the gripper in frame and over crushing the closes so they are obvious on video. Still happy with 5 reps.

Left Hand

Warm Ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC Trainer = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 10 reps

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

GHP 5 = 2 reps

Working

GHP 6 = 5 reps with the 1.5 inch GHP Set Block.

Note: I didn't have time today to bend and do wrist work so I'll do that tomorrow instead. I'm happy with how the GHP 7 cert video turned out. I just have to wait and see if it passes judgement. I'll post the video here once I found out the verdict.

• Like 2

Working

GHP 7 Certification Attempt = 5 reps with the 1.5 inch GHP Set Block. I wanted 6 reps but I didn't even try the 6th rep because I knew it wasn't happening. Its harder to do controlled reps while keeping the gripper in frame and over crushing the closes so they are obvious on video. Still happy with 5 reps.

Lol...that's probably because you know you're gonna cert the #8 by New Years. Monster!

• Like 1

Working

Lol...that's probably because you know you're gonna cert the #8 by New Years. Monster!

Thanks Nate! I wont stop until I get it. Whatever it takes.

Tonight I did some bending and wrist training.

Bending - All Double Overhand in IMPS and with rubber bands

Grade 2 Bolt

60D Galvanized Timber Tie

60D Galvanized Nail

Grade 5 Bolt

Grade 8 Bolt

Grade 5 Bolt

Grade 5 Bolt

Grade 3 Bolt

- I bent each piece of steel in under 1 minute but I felt "off" tonight. I just didn't feel explosive and power on the bends. The bends were slower and required more effort than usual lately. I have off days like this every now and then. I'm still not 100% consistent with bending like I am at grippers. Just gotta push through workouts like this.

Rear Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge with hand all the way at end of handle = 5 reps with each hand

6 lb Sledge with hand all the way at end of handle = 3 reps with each hand

Front Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge with hands 6 inches from handle end = 2 sets of 3 reps with each hand

Internal/External Rotation With Homemade Leverage Bar - Forearm on thigh and hand off thigh in air

7.5 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps with each hand

Edited by Chez

I just noticed a typo for the last bolt that bent in the workout above. It was suppose to be a Grade 2 bolt. I don't think they make Grade 3 bolts haha.

Fun workout today. Apparently the end of the world is coming. Hurricane Sandy is going to hit the East Coast and they are saying its going to be pretty bad. My school has already sent an email saying the campus is closed tomorrow. The news always exaggerates these storms though. Anyway, I hope everyone stays safe. I hit thick bar, back and biceps in today's workout.

Double Overhand Olympic Barbell Deadlifts (Conventional Stance and No Hook Grip)

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

255 lbs = 5 reps

Working

305 lbs = 5 reps

315 lbs = 3 reps

335 lbs = 3 reps

-First time ever doing these and I really like them. Feels less awkward than a mixed grip. Everyone says these really improve gripper power. I'm down with that :). Going to alternate these with Axle DO on back days.

Rolling Thunder - Touch and go reps and no re-gripping during the sets.

Warm ups

81 lbs = 1 set of 10 reps each hand

Working

131 lbs = 2 sets of 5 reps each hand

Olympic Barbell Bent Over Rows with Fat Gripz

135 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Olympic Barbell Bicep Curls

75 lbs = 8 reps

97 lbs = 8 reps

105 lbs = 8 reps

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls

35 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm.

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows with Fat Gripz

61 lb DB = 3 sets of 12 reps each arm

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 30 reps each hand.

• Like 1

Started with that DO work also Chez, just doing deadlifts till I get trouble with the grip, then I go to mixed grip. When I've done the heaviest stuff,

I build off with DO with my fatbar. Maybe going to do those with my fatgripz Extreme. Focus on that for a while and then starting all over with grippers.

anyway, good session.

DO deadlifts on a normal barbell was hands down the best thing from my grippers, especially MMS. Axles have helped my CCS. Stick with the DO grip on barbell deads until you drop a lift then finish up with mixed grip. Also try high rack pulls after the deadlift workout. Get that bar as heavy as the grip allows and do 3-5 second holds. That will build some big crush power.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I'm going really concentrate in bringing up my deadlift and squat strength. Having the equipment at home makes a big difference. I can go nuts during a workout and not worry about other people in the gym thinking I'm crazy.

I just found out this morning that my GHP 7 gripper certification attempt was approved by Wade. Here is the video of me doing 5 reps on the GHP 7 with the GHP Set Block:

Really Happy to be on the list: http://www.gillinghamhp.com/gc.aspx. I'm still hungry though. I want to certify on the GHP 8 within the next couple of months. Its a big jump from the GHP 7, but I'll keep training hard.

• Like 6

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it!

I lost power at my house last night because of hurricane Sandy. We have our generator up and working so we have half the power in the house up and running. My internet has been going off and on all day though. I hope everyone else is safe.

Edited by Chez

Chest and tricep training today. My energy level was a little low but I still pushed through the workout. I woke up this morning and my stomach was bothering me. I have an allergy to Wheat Gluten (celiac disease) and I feel like this every time some gets in my food. We ordered out last night. The place does gluten free, but some times they mess up. Its difficult to eat out with a gluten allergy since its in so many things. Anyway, here is today's workout:

Bench Press

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

215 lbs = 5 reps

226 lbs = 5 reps

231 lbs = 5 reps

231 lbs = 5 reps

Incline Bench Press (30 Degree Incline)

185 lbs = 8 reps

185 lbs = 8 reps

190 lbs = 8 reps

196 lbs = 5 reps

Lying Triceps Extension with EZ Curl Bar

55 lbs = 10 reps

66 lbs = 10 reps

77 lbs = 10 reps

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extension

31.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

I decided to do a second session dedicated to grip. If anything it helps me procrastinate and put off doing school work.

Grippers - reps are MMS/pararrel unless stated otherwise

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC Trainer = 5 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

COC #3 = 1 rep

Working - All done with 1 inch block set

165.3 lb BBE = 2 Block set reps

165.3 lb BBE = 2 Block Set reps

165.3 lb BBE = 1 Block set rep, missed the second by a hair

159.6 lb RB 330N = 2 Block Set reps

153 lb COC #3 = 4 Block Set reps

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC Trainer = 5 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

Working = All done with a 1 inch Block Set

153 lb COC #3 = 2 Block Set Reps

153 lb COC #3 = 2 Block Set Reps

147.2 GHP 7 = 2 Block Set Reps

1.2 Inch Wrist Roller (made out of wood and not mounted. For the first set, I held it out at shoulder level. For sets 2 and 3, I rested my forearms on 4.5 foot high squat safety bar on my power rack).

10 lbs = 3 sets of 5 times up.

- Don't worry, this isn't the wrist roller I plan on using for my competition. I still have to make that one. This burns really bad after a gripper session. going to be a brutal as the last event of the competition.

Hit a leg training session tonight.

Back Squats

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

227 lbs = 5 reps

237 lbs = 5 reps

242 lbs = 5 reps

Front Squats

115 lbs = 8 reps

125 lbs = 8 reps

136 lbs = 8 reps

Calf Raises (on a stair holding a 25lb dumbbell)

3 sets of 30 reps

Lunges (Just using body weight until I get use to these)

3 sets of 8 reps each leg

Hit pinch training today.

Euro 2 HP

Warm ups

60 lbs = 10 reps

102 lbs = 5 reps

Working

135 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps. Put some tape on my thumb webbing after the 2nd set because they were starting to tear. Setup still slick and sharp. School has been crazy but I plan of working on the setup this week.

Loadable Blob

Warm ups

26.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

Working

37.75 lbs = 3 sets of 5 lifts each hand. Really happy with that. I'm hoping to do this many sets and reps with 40lbs soon. Seeing improvement with block weights.

IM Hub

Warm ups

27 lbs = 3 lifts with each hand

Working

37 lbs = 3 sets of 3 lifts with each hand. Still not great at this but I'm working hard to change that.

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 20 reps with each hand. slow and controlled to really feel it.

Shoulders, traps and some ab work tonight.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Working

135 lbs = 5 reps

146 lbs = 5 reps

157 lbs = 5 reps

167 lbs = 5 reps

Barbell Shrugs

185 lbs = 10 reps

207 lbs = 10 reps

217 lbs = 10 reps

Dumbbell Side Laterals

22.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Rear Laterals (Face down on a 30 degree bench)

14 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Crunches with Band Resistance

3 sets of 25 reps

Strong shoulderpress, I hate to say it, but I'm doing these seated with 52 kg's...I have neglected my shoulders and it's downright embarrasing....

So much work to be done! Grrrrrr

Anyway, nice work buddy. I see you are working more all around. 2013 is going to be 'Cesare, the guy from the beach year', aint it. hahaha :grin:

Strong shoulderpress, I hate to say it, but I'm doing these seated with 52 kg's...I have neglected my shoulders and it's downright embarrasing....

So much work to be done! Grrrrrr

Anyway, nice work buddy. I see you are working more all around. 2013 is going to be 'Cesare, the guy from the beach year', aint it. hahaha :grin:

haha. Thanks buddy. I'm trying to do more core work. I do some in between the workouts listed in the log that I never mention. I only mention the core work if I do it on the same day as heavy lfting or grip. I get very bulky and block shaped with heavy lfting and I'm trying to keep my waist line in check. I love being strong, but I'm trying to look good at the same time.

• Like 1

I end up having to do all of my overhead pressing seated due to the height of my basement ceiling and go do some standing stuff outside in the summer with the log bar. I like them as it forces me to be better at strict pressing. When I get to do standing stuff incorporating some body lean and leg drive I can move way bigger weight up.

• Like 1

I end up having to do all of my overhead pressing seated due to the height of my basement ceiling and go do some standing stuff outside in the summer with the log bar. I like them as it forces me to be better at strict pressing. When I get to do standing stuff incorporating some body lean and leg drive I can move way bigger weight up.

I got the same problem in my basement. Ceiling isn't high enough to do standing presses. I also have ridiculously long arms. I could do them in my garage but I'm too lazy to carry the bar out there and I like doing them seated anyway. Like you said, doing them seated puts more emphasis on the shoulders.

Edited by Chez

I got the same problem in my basement. Ceiling isn't high enough to do standing presses. I also have ridiculously long arms. I could do them in my garage but I'm too lazy to carry the bar out there and I like doing them seated anyway. Like you said, doing them seated puts more emphasis on the shoulders.

Same problem all through my house. Haha. I'm 6'5 with extra long arms, no ceiling is high enough. On Saturdays I lift at home, and most of it is overhead work with a keg and a 3" dumbbell, so I have to take those outside in my yard or on my driveway everytime I lift. The weather element just makes an extra challenge. Haha. But when it's super hot out or super cold, I'll go inside to rest between lifts.

Same problem all through my house. Haha. I'm 6'5 with extra long arms, no ceiling is high enough. On Saturdays I lift at home, and most of it is overhead work with a keg and a 3" dumbbell, so I have to take those outside in my yard or on my driveway everytime I lift. The weather element just makes an extra challenge. Haha. But when it's super hot out or super cold, I'll go inside to rest between lifts.

6'5" is very tall. That has to be tough for you when doing power lifting movements (Bench, Deadlift and squat) with those long limbs. My Arm Span is around 6'7" but I'm slightly below 6'2". I can reach up with one hand put all my finger tips on that hand on an 8 foot ceiling when standing flat foot.

Edited by Chez