Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

I end up having to do all of my overhead pressing seated due to the height of my basement ceiling and go do some standing stuff outside in the summer with the log bar. I like them as it forces me to be better at strict pressing. When I get to do standing stuff incorporating some body lean and leg drive I can move way bigger weight up.

I got the same problem in my basement. Ceiling isn't high enough to do standing presses. I also have ridiculously long arms. I could do them in my garage but I'm too lazy to carry the bar out there and I like doing them seated anyway. Like you said, doing them seated puts more emphasis on the shoulders.

Same problem all through my house. Haha. I'm 6'5 with extra long arms, no ceiling is high enough. On Saturdays I lift at home, and most of it is overhead work with a keg and a 3" dumbbell, so I have to take those outside in my yard or on my driveway everytime I lift. The weather element just makes an extra challenge. Haha. But when it's super hot out or super cold, I'll go inside to rest between lifts.

6'5" is very tall. That has to be tough for you when doing power lifting movements (Bench, Deadlift and squat) with those long limbs. My Arm Span is around 6'7" but I'm slightly below 6'2". I can reach up with one hand put all my finger tips on that hand on an 8 foot ceiling when standing flat foot.

Oh wow you do have some long limbs.

Yeah I'm not a good bench presser. Haha. Im pretty good military pressing, but I think that's just because I put more time into it... I'm great at deadlifting though, the long limbs help there. And my squats are getting better.

Had a friend from school over to lift today. I enjoy lifting with this guy. He hasn't lifted consistently in while but hes still decently strong and brings great intensity. We hit Thick Bar, Back and Biceps.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Deadlifts

Warm ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

Working

277 lbs = 3 reps

282 lbs = 3 reps

287 lbs = 3 reps

- I was going to do another set but this guy screwed up his back in a motorcycle accident a couple years back so I decided that we would keep it to 3 working sets.

Bent Over Axle Rows

135 lbs = 10 reps

145 lbs = 10 reps

150 lbs = 10 reps

Rolling Thunder

Warm up

81 lbs = 8 reps each hand

Working

131 lbs = 3 reps each hand

131 lbs = 3 reps each hand

126 lbs = 5 reps each hand

21 Bicep Curls with the Rogue Axle (These are great and I haven't done them in a while)

- With this exercise, you have your workout partner hold his hands out right below your pecs. For the first part of the movement, you curl up and hit his hands with the bar for 7 reps. These are 7 reps partial reps in the bottom range of motion. After this, break through his hands and curl the bar all the way up and then do reps from the top and lower to touch his hands. These are 7 reps in the top range of motion. Next, do 7 full curls. This all count as one set. Hence the name 21's.

Set 1 = 67 lbs

Set 2 = 65 lbs

Set 3 = 70 lbs

- definitely a different feel with the axle instead of an Olympic bar.

Standing Alternate Dumbbell Hammer Curls

35 lb Dbs = 3 sets of 8 reps with each arm

Bending - This was a very light session since he wanted me to show him how to bend steel. All done DO in IMPs

Grade 2 Bolt

60D Galvanized Nail

Grade 5 Bolt

- Cut it there since my next workout is going to be focused on bending. My buddy bent a Grade 2 once I showed him the technique. Failed on a 60D, but pretty good for his first time.

Edited by Chez

Hit Chest and Triceps today. I threw in some higher rep sets this session. Its good to mix things up every now and then.

Incline Barbell Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

177 lbs = 5 reps

Working

207 lbs = 5 reps

217 lbs = 5 reps

222 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 10 reps

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press

71.5 lb DBs = 4 sets of 10 reps.

Lying Triceps Extensions with EZ Curl Bar

65 lbs = 8 reps

70 lbs = 8 reps

70 lbs = 8 reps

1 Arm Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions

33.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm.

• Like 1

Leg training today.

Back Squats

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 10 reps

Working

227 lbs = 5 reps

237 lbs = 5 reps

247 lbs = 5 reps

185 lbs = 10 reps

Front Squats

135 lbs = 8 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

Calf Raises (On a stair bare foot holding a 31.5 lb Dumbbell)

4 sets of 30 reps

Note: Just a quick session. Busy school week.

I had a 14 page paper to hand in Thursday Evening so I fell behind updating this log.

Here is yesterday's workout:

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Working

145 lbs = 5 reps

155 lbs = 5 reps

165 lbs = 5 reps

170 lbs = 5 reps

120 lbs = 10 reps

Bending - All DO in IMPs

Grade 2 Bolts = 3 of them

Grade 5 Bolts = 1 of them

Grade 8 Bolt = Kinked and then failed

- Argh. Bad bending session. I haven't had a great bending session since I bent the red nail. I'm in a funk all of a sudden. Gotta keep pushing to bounce back

Dumbbell Side laterals

22.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell rear laterals

16.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

IM Wicked Wrist Roller (Mounted on power rack safety bar at 5 feet high)

- Just got this and it rocks

52 lbs = 5 reps up and down

63 lbs = 2 sets of reps up and down

Sledge Lever to Forehead

6 lb Sledge = 5 reps each hand

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 1 rep each hand

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

Sledge Coin Load to platform

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

6 lb Sledge = 3 full reps right and 3 reps with hand 3 inches forward on handle left

6 lb Sledge = 2 full reps right and 2 reps with hand 3 inches forward on handle left

Sledge Rear Weaver Stick

6 lbs Sledge = 3 sets of 3 reps each hand

• Like 1

You could just be worn down man. Maybe add a recovery day?

Tonight I hit Some back work

Olympic Bar Deadlifts (mixed grip, conventional stance)

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

255 lbs = 5 reps

Working

305 lbs = 5 reps

325 lbs = 3 reps

347 lbs = 3 reps. I felt I had more, but decided to stop here. More weight next week.

DO Olmypic Bar Stiff Leg Deadlifts (Keeping the weight light and feeling the stretch in the hamstrings)

185 lbs = 10 reps

195 lbs = 10 reps

195 lbs = 10 reps

DO Bent Over Olympic Bar Barbell Rows

135 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note: No Bicep work tonight. I'm tried and need to get some school stuff done. I'll hit biceps during my next workout which will be pinch as well.

You could just be worn down man. Maybe add a recovery day?

Ya, could be. I have been very tired lately. I only got 3 hrs of sleep Wednesday so I could hand this paper in on time. Its crunch time at school right now and I'm busting my butt to make sure I'm ready for finals. Most classes in law school only give you one test and your grade is only based on that so its stressful. I'll be ready though.

• Like 2

Gotta say, I have sort of a love-hate relationship with that wrist roller. Haha. On a number of occasions it's ripped chunks out of my thumbs.

Gotta say, I have sort of a love-hate relationship with that wrist roller. Haha. On a number of occasions it's ripped chunks out of my thumbs.

Ya, the IM wrist roller has knurling but it sin't too sharp. I might be used to it from all the gripper training I do. I feel like the knurling on high quality grippers is sharper. I like the skin on my hands getting tough because it helps you endure long grip training sessions.

Today I just finished up yesterday's workout by training my biceps.

Olympic Barbell Bicep Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

67 lbs = 8 reps

77 lbs = 8 reps

87 lbs = 8 reps

97 lbs = 8 reps

102 lbs = 8 reps

107 lbs = 8 reps

- I eventually want to be able to do 135 lb Barbell curls for strict reps. Its one of my many goals :)

Well, you're doing it mounted too... I think that might make it less likely to rip your hands up. I always use it freehand, so I have to support it, but sometimes it slips, which I think results in torn skin. I need to get something to mount it on.

Well, you're doing it mounted too... I think that might make it less likely to rip your hands up. I always use it freehand, so I have to support it, but sometimes it slips, which I think results in torn skin. I need to get something to mount it on.

Mounting the wrist roller will help you focus on your forearms. When I held it out in air, my shoulders always gave out first.

Today I hit some Pinch Work

2 Hand Pinch on the Euro

Warm Ups

60 lbs = 10 reps

110 lbs = 5 reps

Working

130 lbs = 3 reps

135 lbs = 3 reps

141 lbs = 3 reps

146 lbs = 3 reps

154.5 lbs = 1 rep

130 lbs = 5 reps

- The setup is still sharp and slick. I totally beat up my thumb webbing again. This is getting filed Wednesday because I can't put any weight on this thing without tearing skin.

Loadable Blob

26.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

36.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

39 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

39 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

- pretty happy with this. 39 lbs is starting to feel easy. This is slicker and harder than a real blob of the same weight and has the dimension of a blob 50.

IM Hub

37 lbs = 3 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Extensor Work

IM Blue Band = 3 sets of 30 reps each hand

Note: I have more toys coming for the holidays. The IM block buster pinch block and 4-45lb weight plates. Pretty excited about that.

I was going to hit chest and tris tonight, but I felt a weird cramp in my left peck during my warm up sets so I decided to be careful and call it quits. I hit grippers and wrist roller tonight instead. Used my Vulcan V2 for warm ups because I sent a lot of my light grippers out to be rated for my upcoming comp. Turned out being a great gripper workout.

Grippers

Right Hand

Warm ups

V2 Level 3 = 10 reps

V2 Level 6 = 5 reps

V2 Level 9 = 3 reps

V2 Level 12 = 1 rep

153 lb COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 MMS rep

Working

179.7 lb COC #3.5 MMS attempt = So freaking close! Video of attempt below. This gripper is going down soon.

179.7 lb COC #3.5 MMS attempt = Another very close attempt

174.6 lb GHP8 = 1 MMS rep

165.3 lb BBE = 2 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

V2 Level 3 = 10 reps

V2 Level 6 = 5 reps

V2 Level 9 = 3 reps

V2 Level 12 = 1 rep

Working

147.2 lb GHP 7 = 2 - 1.5 inch block set reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 1 CCS rep - First time ever closing a #3 CCS lefty! Messed up the video though. Have to get it next workout

149.2 lb COC #3 = 1 CCS rep - messed up video again

159.6 lb RB 330N = 1 MMS rep

147.2 lb GHP 7 = 2 parallel reps

IM Wrist Roller (Mounter on power rack safety bar 5 ft high)

42 lbs = 5 times up and down rolling forward

42 lbs = 8 times up and down rolling backward

42 lbs = 5 times up and down rolling backward

53 lbs = 5 times up and down rolling backward

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 20 reps each hand

Here is the 179.7 lb COC #3.5 attempt:

Happy Turkey Day Everyone!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

The gripper was all over the place at first but I seen the little space between the handles and that was an awesome show of crush strength- you are super close to conquering that 3.5 - Great Job!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. This is my "hard" #3.5. It has a really tough set and sweep, which makes it feel harder than its rating. I just bought another #3.5 from a GB member that rates around 175, but its out getting re-rated by Chris Rice right now. That is more of an average #3.5. I'm hoping to close that one on camera next workout. That 175ish #3.5, my 174.6 lb GHP 8, and my 179lb Elite are going to be my working grippers right now. I really struggled filming my closes in that workout. The problem was the counter where I put my laptop was too high. I like to close grippers with my hand slightly above waist level. You can see in the video that the gripper was too low and I had to raise it up to show the handles. The gripper was totally out of frame for the #3 CCS closes lefty. I'll use a lower counter next time I film. I'm hoping to get a #3 CCS close left handed on film next gripper workout as well.

• Like 1

Great work Chez! Get that MM3! When I do this #3 thing I'll get back on the MMS train with you.

Haven't you already CCS'd a #3 LH already? I thought you did a long time ago when you were after the #3 cert. Don't tell me I beat you to a LH #3 CCS?

• Like 1

Great work Chez! Get that MM3! When I do this #3 thing I'll get back on the MMS train with you.

Haven't you already CCS'd a #3 LH already? I thought you did a long time ago when you were after the #3 cert. Don't tell me I beat you to a LH #3 CCS?

Thanks dude. I think you did beat me to the #3 CCS lefty. I don't remember doing it in the past. I really struggle with wide gripper closes Lefty. I think it has to do with my lack of left hand coordination. You have been killing it lately Daniel. Keep it. I want to see you get that triple cert.

• Like 1

Thanks dude. I think you did beat me to the #3 CCS lefty. I don't remember doing it in the past. I really struggle with wide gripper closes Lefty. I think it has to do with my lack of left hand coordination. You have been killing it lately Daniel. Keep it. I want to see you get that triple cert.

Thanks man. It was just a 145# #3. It's funny once I could do it RH I was doing it LH the next workout. They have always been close CCS. The only reason the LH can go wide so well compared to MMS is how awful I am with the set of a MMS. It just never felt good to go deeper than 1".

I'm close on the triple cert but not yet there with confidence. I tested the RT for the first time in a long time and pulled 185 in plates. I believe it is 200 in plates for the CTD. I hopped it last year and think I am close to locking it out if I go in 100% fresh. Currently my thickbar and pinch is a little on the overtrained side but I like that. It means good things to come with rest. I'm also contemplating just doing the double cert for now and not caring about the CTD.

Just checked, it's 200# total for the RT. I was 7# from lifting it then. Oh yeah, fresh it should go down. :devil

• Like 1

Just checked, it's 200# total for the RT. I was 7# from lifting it then. Oh yeah, fresh it should go down. :devil

Nice! Go get it buddy. That challenge is really a rolling thunder cert since it is by the most difficult of the 3 tasks. I'm going to start training the rolling thunder hard again myself. My best was 183ish months ago.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. I'm really happy with the way training is going. I feel stronger every week. I'm still a little worried about how my left pec felt the other day, It feels like I strained it slightly This has happened in the past. I decided to further delay Chest/Triceps just to make sure I don't injury myself. In the past, I would just rest a couple days and this type of thing would go away. I have always been cautious with strength training and listened to my body and I won't stop doing that since it has worked great for me. I have never been seriously injured from strength training.

I decided to train legs today.

Back Squats

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

230 lbs = 5 reps

240 lbs = 5 reps

250 lbs = 5 reps

205 lbs = 8 reps

- Next week I add more weight.

Front Squats

135 lbs = 5 reps

140 lbs = 5 reps

140 lbs = 5 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Standing Calf Raises (with 45 lb Olympic Bar on my back)

4 sets of 30 reps

Note: Finally got my 2 inch V-bar in the mail and picked up 4 more 45lb weight plates. Home gym is really coming along nicely. I'll try and hit chest/triceps again in a couple days. If I don't feel confident during warm ups, I'll delay the session further.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2