Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

5x5 is a great scheme, especially when you're trying to work back into a lift.... But eventually, you hit a wall with it, and the only way around that wall is to switch things up. Haha. Ride it out while it's working, just be ready to switch to something else.

definitely. I actually got a few programs that I can try next. I believe in keeping the body guessing. When the time comes, I'll start another routine. My bench used to be much stronger, but then I got away from free weight benching and numbers dropped like crazy. Still not as strong as I use to be but I'm slowly getting there.

5x5 is a great scheme, especially when you're trying to work back into a lift.... But eventually, you hit a wall with it, and the only way around that wall is to switch things up. Haha. Ride it out while it's working, just be ready to switch to something else.

definitely. I actually got a few programs that I can try next. I believe in keeping the body guessing. When the time comes, I'll start another routine. My bench used to be much stronger, but then I got away from free weight benching and numbers dropped like crazy. Still not as strong as I use to be but I'm slowly getting there.

I highly recommend 5/3/1....not because the set/reps/percentages are anything magical (no program is obviously) but because of the philosophy of training Wendler espouses, which is the real take-away from reading his material along with reading material from similar minded people like Paul Carter from Lift-Run-Bang. The fact that it has become such a popular program also means that you can find a lot of articles and Q&A's that Wendler has put out there too.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for about 3 years now. I've made huge gains with it. I'll usually make about 9 months of gains before hitting a wall.

I highly recommend 5/3/1....not because the set/reps/percentages are anything magical (no program is obviously) but because of the philosophy of training Wendler espouses, which is the real take-away from reading his material along with reading material from similar minded people like Paul Carter from Lift-Run-Bang. The fact that it has become such a popular program also means that you can find a lot of articles and Q&A's that Wendler has put out there too.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for about 3 years now. I've made huge gains with it. I'll usually make about 9 months of gains before hitting a wall.

I was actually thinking of doing 5/3/1 as soon as my ankle heals up. I want to be 100% before I dedicate myself to a program. Thanks for the advice fellas. Should be able to start it in a couple of months if these orthotics help my cruddy ankle.

Tonight I hit Crush. I decided to bust out the Vulcan V2 and do my full crush workout with just that tool for the first time in a while. I plan on participating in World's Strongest Hands this year and the V2 is the first event. Going to alternate my crush workouts with the V2 and TSGs for the next couple months.

Vulcan V2 - All reps were wider than parallel. I just get my hand wrapped around it and go.

Right Hand

Warm Ups

L3 = 8 reps

L6 = 5 reps

L9 = 3 reps

L12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L13 = Good

L14 = Good

L15 = Good

L16 = Good

L17 = Just missed. Bad Set.

L17 = good

L18 = Just missed. Pretty good attempt. Just couldn't get that last little bit. This level is a big jump from L 17. I think I can get this with a 20mm Block by the contest if I work hard.

L17 = .75 inch/ 19 mm Block Set Close Good. See video below

L15 = Good

L15 = Good. Tore a chuck of skin off my palm. Put tape over it and have to go light for the rest of the workout.

Doubles

L 13 = 2 reps Good

L 13 = 2 reps Good

L 13 = 2 reps Good

Triples

L12 = 3 reps Good

L12 = 3 reps Good

L12 = 3 reps Good

Left Hand

Warm ups

L3 = 8 reps

L6 = 5 reps

L9 = 3 reps

L12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L13 = Good

L14 = Good

L15 = Good

L16 = Good

L17 = Good. Happy with that Lefty

L17 = miss

L15 = Good

L15 = Good

Doubles

L 13 = 2 reps Good

L 13 = 2 reps Good

L 13 = 2 reps Good

Triples

L12 = 3 reps Good

L12 = 3 reps Good

L12 = 3 reps Good

Extensor Work

Red IM Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand

Standing Calf Raises - Barbell Across Back (Rehab Work)

65 lbs = 30 reps

65 lbs = 30 reps

76 lbs = 30 reps

87 lbs = 30 reps

Here is the Vulcan V2 Level 17 19 MM Block Set Close:

• Like 1

Strong Vulcan work Chez, Specially with your off...left hand! I think there's not much difference between the V1 and V2? Wasn't the spread even wider?

You got stronger I see with the setting, having not trained the Vulcan for a while and still set level 17 relatively easy.

• Like 1

Strong Vulcan work Chez, Specially with your off...left hand! I think there's not much difference between the V1 and V2? Wasn't the spread even wider?

You got stronger I see with the setting, having not trained the Vulcan for a while and still set level 17 relatively easy.

Thanks man. I have never tried a V1 but from what I have read people think the V2 is harder because of the super wide spread making the set even more difficult. The V2 has a spread of about 3.6 inches while I think the V1 has a spread of about 3.1 inches. I was actually surprised I didn't struggle with the set more since I'm rusty with this thing. I think my pressing strength improvement is helping since you really have to use your entire body to set the higher levels on the V2. Level 18 is super hard to set. Its so much harder to set then level 17.

I had a paper due at midnight last night and I handed it in with 5 mins to spare. haven't eaten or slept much lately so I decided to do a light weight higher volume back and thick bar session today.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle Deadlifts

Warm ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

205 lbs = 5 reps

Working

265 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Rolling Thunder

141 lbs = 2 lifts each hand - hands are fried from the axle. I wanted at least 3 reps

134 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

135.25 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

136.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

136.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

Double Overhand Axle Bent Over Rows

135 lbs = 5 sets of 10 reps

Inverted Rows - Body Weight

5 sets of 10 reps

Note: Going out to celebrate my friends Birthday. Get a couple drinks in me and recharge the batteries.

Shoulders, triceps and Steel bending tonight. My index finger is better so I'm going to start bending in only IMPs again. Felt good but the index finger isn't a 100% so I had to push through a little pain.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

Working

145 lbs = 5 reps

155 lbs = 5 reps

165 lbs = 5 reps

170 lbs = 5 reps

Dumbbell Side laterals (Standing and 1 Arm at a Time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps with each arm

Lying Triceps Extensions with an EZ Curl Bar and Explosive Close Grip Bench Presses

Warm Ups

55 lbs = 10 Extensions and 10 Presses

Working

80 lbs = 4 sets of 10 Extensions and 10 Presses

Bending - All Done Double Overhand and in IMPs

2 Grade 2 Bolts

1 60D Galvanized Nail

2 Yellow IM Nails

1 Grade 8 Bolt

1 Piece of 5/16" x 6" HRS from Home Depot

1 Piece of 7 inch long M Drill Rod

Nice work with the shoulderpresses. I'm so f%$@ weak at those. Plus, when I go and hit my shoulders hard, I always end up with pain after a few sessions, thus also ruining my bench. Damn you weak shoulders! I figure one would really need the presses for getting some more mass.

Nice work with the shoulderpresses. I'm so f%$@ weak at those. Plus, when I go and hit my shoulders hard, I always end up with pain after a few sessions, thus also ruining my bench. Damn you weak shoulders! I figure one would really need the presses for getting some more mass.

Thanks buddy. They can definitely be dangerous. Going too low can mess up a person's shoulders. I always make sure to use good form on every exercise. I could use more weight but then I would sacrifice form and risk injury. I'm a worry wart.

Tonight I hit Back and Front Squat. Moved the weight up a little.

Back Squats

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

216 lbs = 5 reps

Working

235 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Front Squats

155 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand

Note: I picked up some 5/16 inch diameter 3 foot long hot rolled steel bars from home depot today. Going to cut them down for 7 inch steel bending practice. I also have 3 sets of power lifting bands, some 1.25 lb Olympic plates for micro loading and chalk on the way from rogue fitness. Good times.

It's more about form and control than anything, especially when done standing.... Course, I guess that can be said about most lifts. Haha. Maybe try starting on them much lighter than what you normally use, and gradually work back into your working range?

Chez, sorry to side-track your log there.

Edited by Mephistopholes

It's more about form and control than anything, especially when done standing.... Course, I guess that can be said about most lifts. Haha. Maybe try starting on them much lighter than what you normally use, and gradually work back into your working range?

Chez, sorry to side-track your log there.

No worries buddy. Everyone is welcomed to comment on anything written in my log and give advice.

I had a great Chest and Bicep Workout today at my school gym. My bench press strength continues to increase and I'm loving it. I went lighter on biceps today and increased the reps to change things up.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

Warm Ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

215 lbs = 5 reps

Working

245 lbs = 5 sets of 5 reps

- really happy with that. No problem with any of the reps. More weight next week. Going to max out at the end of the semester and see where I stand.

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press

80 lb DBs = 10 reps

85 lb DBs = 8 reps

90 lb DBs = 8 reps

Dumbbell Alternating Bicep Curls

Warm up

20 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

Working

40 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

45 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

45 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

Dumbbell Alternating Hammer Curls

40 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm.

When is the HOSS 3.5 coming? I think you said the guy in charge of it had something else going on? Is this on hold? I've been waiting to see you crush it!

When is the HOSS 3.5 coming? I think you said the guy in charge of it had something else going on? Is this on hold? I've been waiting to see you crush it!

ya, I'm not sure if its going to happen. The guy isn't very active on steelbenders.org lately. Every time I PM him it takes a while for him to respond. Last time he PMed me, he said that I could keep the gripper when it comes. I have no problem getting a free gripper,but that kind of dilutes the cert for me. He seems like a very nice guy, but gripper certs aren't a big deal on that site. I don't want to have to keep harassing him to send it.

I think I'm going to focus on heavy MMS gripper training and make a run at the MM4. If the HOSS #3.5 comes, I'll give it everything I have though.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Some levering and wrist roller work tonight.

Sledge Coin Load to 18 inch Platform

Right Hand

8 lb Sledge 4 inches from handle end = 2 reps

8 lb Sledge 5 inches from handle end = 2 reps, 2 reps, 1 rep

6 lb Sledge = 1 rep

Left Hand

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps,2 reps

6 lb Sledge 2 inches from handle end = 2 reps, 2 reps, 1 rep

6 lb Sledge 3 inches from handle end = 1 rep

Sledge Lever to Forehead

6 lb Sledge = 5 reps each hand

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 2 reps each hand

Sledge Rear Weaver

6 lb Sledge = 3 reps each hand

8 lb Sledge = 2 sets of 3 reps each hand

Lever Bar Supinaion/Pronation

10.5 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps each hand

Sledge Slim Lever from Floor to Shoulder

8 lb Sledge = 3 sets of 3 reps each hand

IM Wrist Roller (Mounted shoulder height and Duct tape covering knurling)

Warm up

52 lbs = 5 times up and down

Working

102 lbs = 3 sets of 3 times up and down

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 20 reps each hand

Some Back work today. My legs have been pretty sore these past couple days since the last time I did squats so I almost decided not to deadlift. My legs need to adapt to this increased workout so I hit deadlifts but kept the weight modest to beat them up and make them tougher. My legs will eventually adapt to all this squatting and deadlifting.

Olympic Bar Deadlifts (Conventional stance and mixed grip)

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

275 lbs = 5 reps

Working

315 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Dynamic Double Overhand Deadlifts with Green Rogue Bands (65 lbs resistance)

135 lbs + Bands = 8 Fast Reps

155 lbs + Bands = 2 Fast Reps

175 lbs + bands = 2 reps Reps

- Just got the Bands so I'm experimenting and getting a feel for them. I gotta figure out how to incorporate them in my routine. I have 2 smaller sets for upper body work. I like the way they feel.

Machine Narrow Grip Pull Downs

130 lbs = 12 reps

170 lbs = 3 sets of 12 reps

Machine Rows

150 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Cable Lat Pull Downs

145 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Cable Straight Arm Pull Downs

40 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Machine Seated Hamstring Curls

110 lbs = 4 sets of 12 reps

Do you take supplements, in particular creatine and beta-alanine?

Do you take supplements, in particular creatine and beta-alanine?

right now I only take a Multivitamin, Vitamin C, glucosamine chondroitin and fish oil. I use to take more stuff when I was more concerned with body building.

Dude you'll love creatine and beta-alanine. They are probably the only two performance supps that everyone agrees works. And they are the two cheapest on the market. The beta-alanine in particular fights muscle soreness by neutralizing the lactic acids as they are produced. So you can work out longer and not be as sore the next day. And most people know what creatine is and does. I prefer the creatine HCl from Con-Cret since it comes in tiny doses and doesn't make you retain water. For the beta-alanine I get the bodybuilding.com brand stuff. The brand they use is proven. I highly recommend athletes to take these. You'll notice they both work and don't cost much. My workouts can sometimes go on forever since muscle soreness doesn't set in nd energy level remains high.

I recommend some high rep leg stuff to flush them out at the end. high rep band leg curls, leg ext, etc. I find that it really helps the next day.

Zheng Gu Shui is a bit better than Tiger Balm. Similar, but more powerful. I like Magnesium Oil for recovery. Helps with muscle flexibility also.

Thanks for all the tips fellas. The soreness in my legs has been freaking intense. I'll probably go with the beta-alanine that Daniel suggested and the high rep work that Brent suggested right now. I would like to buy the other stuff as well but money is tight and I have to pick and choose what I get.

I worked my pinch tonight and did some very light bending to best technique.

Euro 2 Hand Pinch - 52mm Width

55 lbs = 10 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

125 lbs = 3 reps

135 lbs = 3 reps

145 lbs = 3 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

160 lbs = 2 reps

165 lbs = 1 rep

170 lbs = 1 rep

175 lbs = 1 rep

155 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

Block Weight Work

37.5 lb Blob = 5 Lifts each hand

45.8 lbs Blob = 2 Lifts Each hand

45.8 lbs Blob = 3 Lifts Each hand

- Video of some easy 45.8 lb Blob Lifts Below.
IM Hub
32 lbs = 5 lifts each hand
38 lbs = 3 lifts each hand
41 lbs = 3 lifts each hand
41 lbs = 2 lifts each hand
41 lbs = 3 lifts each hand
41 lbs = 2 lifts each hand
Vulcan V2 Thumbscrew Key Pinch
2 Red IM Bands on Top Notches = 5 sets of 10 reps each hand
Extensor Work
Red IM Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand
Bending - DO
Single IMPs
2 Grade 2 Bolts
2 60D Galvanized Nails
2 Yellow IM Nails
1 Grade 5 Bolt
1 IMP
1 60D Galvanized Nail
1 Grade 2 Bolt

• Like 1

I like to do a similar thing as Brent but I will try and do 2-3 light sets a day or two after. Really helps work out the stiffness and gets some blood in there to help with recovery. I'd suggest just 135# for sets of 8-10. Easy peasy.

Thanks man. I have never tried a V1 but from what I have read people think the V2 is harder because of the super wide spread making the set even more difficult. The V2 has a spread of about 3.6 inches while I think the V1 has a spread of about 3.1 inches. I was actually surprised I didn't struggle with the set more since I'm rusty with this thing. I think my pressing strength improvement is helping since you really have to use your entire body to set the higher levels on the V2. Level 18 is super hard to set. Its so much harder to set then level 17.

sorry to backtrack - my v2 is just a hair under 3.7.. which is crazy

Edited by jvance