Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Around 220 lbs is a real sticking point in benchpressing for most people, so repwork above that is cool stuff.

• Like 1

Nice benching man what is your BW at right now? I got my bench to over 400 using smolov jr for bench. Its a ton of volume and might hurt bending a bit since you will be stiff but your bench will go up. With that bench though I'd say your over 300's right now for a max. .

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

Around 220 lbs is a real sticking point in benchpressing for most people, so repwork above that is cool stuff.

Nice benching man what is your BW at right now? I got my bench to over 400 using smolov jr for bench. Its a ton of volume and might hurt bending a bit since you will be stiff but your bench will go up. With that bench though I'd say your over 300's right now for a max. .

Thanks guys. I'm going to max out on the Bench at the end of the semester. I'm hoping for a max of between 315 lbs and 335 lbs. Anywhere in that range will make me happy. I use to be able to max 315lbs years back but then I stopped free weight benching.

Today was a pretty good bending session with my friend from school.

Double Overhand Bending - All in IMP singles and rubber bands.

2 - Grande 2 Bolts

2 - 60D Galvanized Nails

2- 1/4" x 7" HRS Round Bars

2 - 1/4 x 7" HRS Square Bars

1- Grade 8 Bolt

1 - .292" x 7" M Drill Rod Bar - Video Below

Double Underhand Bending

-1 IMP

1 - Grade 2 Bolt

IMP Singles + Rubber Bands

1 - 60D Galvanized Nail

1 - 1/4" x 6" HRS Square Bar - Video Below

Forgot to answer your question Stephen. I weigh 255 lbs first thing in the morning right now. I'm about 6'1.5" tall. I plan on starting 5/3/1 this summer once I graduate, but I'm always interested in reading about new programs. I just googled that program so I'll definitely read up about it this weekend. Over 400 is a huge bench dude. You are a brute. I saw that you are 6'6", over 300lbs and have 22 inch arms. You're a giant. I use to think I was big, but you make me feel tiny haha.

Forgot to answer your question Stephen. I weigh 255 lbs first thing in the morning right now. I'm about 6'1.5" tall. I plan on starting 5/3/1 this summer once I graduate, but I'm always interested in reading about new programs. I just googled that program so I'll definitely read up about it this weekend. Over 400 is a huge bench dude. You are a brute. I saw that you are 6'6", over 300lbs and have 22 inch arms. You're a giant. I use to think I was big, but you make me feel tiny haha.

At your BW you are stronger then me relatively though and are making quick progress-also despite my height I probably have similar arm length to you which makes bench much easier for me-. I actually have just been reading up on 5/3/1 and found a few spreadsheets so I might try it also. I'm sure once you graduate you will have a lot more time to get stronger also hah. Are you going to try to make a run at the mm4 here pretty soon? .

Also well done on the bending man you just brute force those, as you continue to improve the technique a bit more you are going to be bending some huge stuff.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

At your BW you are stronger then me relatively though and are making quick progress-also despite my height I probably have similar arm length to you which makes bench much easier for me-. I actually have just been reading up on 5/3/1 and found a few spreadsheets so I might try it also. I'm sure once you graduate you will have a lot more time to get stronger also hah. Are you going to try to make a run at the mm4 here pretty soon? .

Also well done on the bending man you just brute force those, as you continue to improve the technique a bit more you are going to be bending some huge stuff.

Thanks buddy. Going to attempt the mm4 probably early to mid April depending on how my next couple gripper sessions go. Ya, my bending is pretty ugly. I read on benders battlefield that you have a similar problem. I just don't have the range of motion to keep the bar high. I even spent 10 mins stretching before these bends. I'm definitely going to keep working on proper form but for now I have to muscle the bars at chest height. Really looking forward to see the your numbers from ur first grip comp.

• Like 1

Pinch and a little dynamic Axle work tonight.

Double Overhand Rogue Axle - conventional stance

Warm Ups

115 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

185 lbs + Green Rogue Bands (65 lbs Resistance) = 2 Singles as fast and explosive as possible

165 lbs + Green Rogue Bands (65 lbs Resistance) = 6 Singles as fast and explosive as possible - better weight for speed work

- I like these. The Bands really kick in at the top of the lift and try and rip the axle out of my hands. Going to keep working these into my routine.

Euro 2 HP - 54mm Width

55 lbs = 10 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

115 lbs = 3 reps

125 lbs = 2 reps

135 lbs = 2 reps

145 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 1 rep

165 lbs = 1 rep

175 lbs = 1 rep

180 lbs = 1 rep

160 lbs = 2 reps

160 lbs = 2 reps

160 lbs = 2 reps

Blobs

37.5 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

45.8 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

IM Hub

32 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

42 lbs = 2 lifts right and 1 lift left

42 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

42 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand

• Like 1

Vulcan V2 work and light steel bending today. My set on the V2 was horrible today. I was just plain off and struggled. Oh well, days like this happen. I'm still rusting on this thing. Good thing I have plenty of time before World's Strongest Hands.

Vulcan V2

Right Hand

Warm Ups

L 3 = 8 reps

L 6 = 5 reps

L 9 = 3 reps

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 14 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

L 16 = 1 rep, harder than usually because of a cruddy set.

L 17 = Failed. I tried a couple times but my set sucks today

L 15 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

Doubles

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 rep

Triples

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

Left Hand

Singles

L 14 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

L 16 = Failed

L 15 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

Doubles

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 rep

Triples

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

Light Bending - All DO
Single IMPs
3 - 1/4" x 7" Round HRS
3 - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS
- Just working on my technique. Stretched a lot. I didn't get it under my chin all the way, but I got closer than usual.
1 IMP Crush Down
3 - Galvanized 60D Nails
2 - 60D Timber Ties
2 - Grade 2 Bolts
- These were pieces that I bent double underhand or reverse that were just laying around so I decided to finished them off in 1 IMP. I had no clue what to do them otherwise.
Note: A little annoyed by the crappy V2 session, but it happens. I have off days every now and then. I just gotta bounce back like I always do. I don't plan on training grip for the rest of the week since I'm driving to Jedd Johnson's place Saturday for a training session with him and J.T. Straussner. I want my hands to rest till then because Jedd is planning on it being an all day session. I'll hit a little regular weight training for the rest of the week though.
  • Like 1

Vulcan V2 work and light steel bending today. My set on the V2 was horrible today. I was just plain off and struggled. Oh well, days like this happen. I'm still rusting on this thing. Good thing I have plenty of time before World's Strongest Hands.

Vulcan V2

Right Hand

Warm Ups

L 3 = 8 reps

L 6 = 5 reps

L 9 = 3 reps

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 14 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

L 16 = 1 rep, harder than usually because of a cruddy set.

L 17 = Failed. I tried a couple times but my set sucks today

L 15 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

Doubles

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 rep

Triples

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

Left Hand

Singles

L 14 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

L 16 = Failed

L 15 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

L 15 = 1 rep

Doubles

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 reps

L 13 = 2 rep

Triples

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

L 12 = 3 reps

Light Bending - All DO
Single IMPs
3 - 1/4" x 7" Round HRS
3 - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS
- Just working on my technique. Stretched a lot. I didn't get it under my chin all the way, but I got closer than usual.
1 IMP Crush Down
3 - Galvanized 60D Nails
2 - 60D Timber Ties
2 - Grade 2 Bolts
- These were pieces that I bent double underhand or reverse that were just laying around so I decided to finished them off in 1 IMP. I had no clue what to do them otherwise.
Note: A little annoyed by the crappy V2 session, but it happens. I have off days every now and then. I just gotta bounce back like I always do. I don't plan on training grip for the rest of the week since I'm driving to Jedd Johnson's place Saturday for a training session with him and J.T. Straussner. I want my hands to rest till then because Jedd is planning on it being an all day session. I'll hit a little regular weight training for the rest of the week though.

You're going to have some fun training with Jedd and J.T.! You'll also learn a lot of new things about steel bending from him.

• Like 1

Cool to train with some well known guys Chez. Plus, THEY get to train with mr. Chez himself haha

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Saturday should be a ton of fun. I like the fact that I will be the "weak guy" in the training session. I enjoy being the underdog. It makes me set my game up. I'm going to give everything I have and enjoy it.

Today I just hit a light back session. Very easy and conservative. Didn't push myself super hard on anything.

Hyper-Extensions

Body weight = 15 reps

Body weight + 25 lb Weight Plate = 3 sets of 10 reps

Assisted Close Grip Chin Ups

64 lbs of Counterweight = 10 reps

64 lbs of Counterweight = 8 reps

64 lbs of Counterweight = 8 reps

Wide Grip Cable Pull Downs

130 lbs = 3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows

60 lb DB = 20 reps each arm

60 lb DB = 25 reps each arm

60 lb DB = 30 reps each arm

Machine Rows

130 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

In Door track

1 Mile Running

1/2 Mile Walking

Note: Tomorrow I will do a light Shoulder and triceps workout and then rest Friday for Saturday's session.

I want my hands to rest till then because Jedd is planning on it being an all day session.

Damn man sounds awesome.

Yep, should be a blast. I hoping to pick up some pinch tips from Jedd and Bending tips from J.T.

Today I just hit a light shoulder and triceps workout.

Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

Warm up

25 lb DBs = 10 reps

Working

45 lb DBs = 10 reps

50 lb DBs = 10 reps

55 lb DBs = 10 reps

60 lb DBs = 10 reps

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises

20 lb DBs = 10 reps

25 lb DBs = 8 reps

25 lb DBs = 8 reps

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raises

12.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

15 lb DBs = 10 reps

15 lb DBs = 10 reps

Triceps Extension Machine

80 lbs = 10 reps

100 lbs = 10 reps

120 lbs = 10 reps

1 Arm Reverse Cable Extensions

40 lbs = 10 reps each side

50 lbs = 10 reps each side

50 lbs = 10 reps each side

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

2 45's each side = 30 reps

2 45's + 1 25 each side = 25 reps

3 45's each side = 20 reps

3 45's each side = 20 reps

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each side

Note: Tomorrow I'm doing nothing

Awesome training session at Jedd's today. The PRs were flowing like a fine wine....I would know :)

Grippers: We started with max 20mm block set grippers with both hands. I worked up to a 177 lb Rated COC #3.5 20mm Block Set Close Right Hand which is a PR for me. I got my 165.3 lb BBE left hand with a 20mm block set close. I honestly didn't feel "on" for grippers today and still got the right hand PR. I believe an 180 lb 20mm Block Set close right Hand and 170 lb 20mm Block set close Left hand is doable for nationals in June. I just need to practice my block set. I was fumbling with the block today and it made me miss some attempts and loose power on others.

Euro 2 Hand Pinch: Hit a Brand new PR of 200 lbs! I have been chasing this for a while and it felt good to finally get it. See video below.

Axle: Axle was complete garbage. My knees have been a little sore since my last squat session so I had no confidence going into the lift. I'm taking it easy on legs this week and spending lots of time stretching and icing. My knees aren't injured, just sore because I probably got into a bad position during my squats and I'm feeling it now.

Various Lifts: We next trained various medley items. The big highlight for me was my first 50lb Blob lifts. I lifted a next generation blob with each hand and then lifted another slightly harder next generation Blob with my left hand. Video of the first lift below

Euro 2 HP PR Video (My last completed lift in the video):

First 50 lb Blob Lift:

Note: Just a great day. The only disappointment today was my axle but you can't win them all. 3 PRs in one day is pretty dam good.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

That's awesome Chez! Definitely a great day. Congrats on all of the PR's

Congrats on a kick $$$ day dude! 180 gripper for sure can go down, and a 170 LH would be off the hook strong!

Thanks guys! Im definitely going back for future training sessions to learn more. I'm taking it easy this week. Been going hard for a while. Need a light deload week for regular lifting. Probably moderate effort with grip.

Steel bending tonight.

Double Overhand Bending - All done in IMPs + Rubber Bands

3 - 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

3 - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

1 - .292 x 7" M Drill Rod

Reverse Bending - All Done in IMPs + Rubber Bands

4 - 60D Galvanized Nails Alternating which hand is the driver and post.

- This use to be a max effort bend reverse but these felt like nothing tonight. I haven't been training reverse so I think all the levering I have been doing is making the difference. Bigger steel next time.

• Like 1

Cardio and very light leg session at my school gym. My legs felt fine during the workout but I would rather be cautious than sorry later. I plan on being around in the sport for a while and there is no sense in ego lifting and risking an injury. I need to include more deload weeks in my workouts anyway to make sure I don't burn out.

Bike - General Warm Up

20 mins of moderate pace cycling

Seated Hamstring Curl Machine

110 lbs = 5 sets of 10 reps

Seated Leg Extension Machine

110 lbs = 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg Press
(6) 45lb Plates + Sled = 10 reps
(6) 45lb Plates + (2) 25 lb Plates + Sled = 10 reps
(8) 45lb Plates + Sled = 3 sets of 10 reps
Standing Calf Raises - Barbell Across Shoulders
95 lbs = 20 reps
115 lbs = 4 sets of 20 reps
- Ankle is feeling really good because of the orthotics. I'm just trying to slowly strengthen it now.

Long session but a fun one. Higher rep Chest and Biceps work (8-10 rep sets). I also trained some thick bar.

Flat Barbell Bench Press
Warm Ups
45 lbs = 10 reps
135 lbs = 10 reps
185 lbs = 8 reps

Working
225 lbs = 10 reps. 1 had an extra 1-2 reps in me but I'm not pushing the sets to failure tonight since I don't have a spotter.
225 lbs = 8 reps
205 lbs = 10 reps
205 lbs = 8 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press
185 lbs = 8 reps
185 lbs = 8 reps
177 lbs = 8 reps
177 lbs = 8 reps

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Bicep Curls
11.5 lb DBs = 10 reps
22.5 lb DBs = 10 reps
32.5 lb DBs = 10 reps
37.5 lb DBs = 10 reps
37.5 lb DBs = 10 reps
37.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

Rolling Thunder (New Handle)

106 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

122 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

132 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

142 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

152 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

154.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

155 lbs = 1 lift right and 2 lifts left

149 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

140.25 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

140. 25 lbs = 2 lifts right and 3 lifts left

140.25 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

- a little all over the place. I'm rusty with the RT and I'm figuring out a good weight to use during workouts.

IM Little Big Horn

110 lbs = 4 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Kroc Dumbbell Rows with Fat Gripz

61.5 lbs = 15 reps each hand

71.5 lbs = 10 reps each hand

76.5 lbs = 10 reps each hand

76.5 lbs = 10 reps each hand

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 5 sets of 30 reps each hand.

How would you compare the little big horn to a 2" vbar? Is there a proportional ratio of one to the other? I've never tried the horn so am curious if a good vbar grip will carryover to it.

Monster workout Chez, you'll be feeling that in the morning!

haha. Yep, I was definitely sore the next day. Those Kroc Rows with fat gripz really fried my hands.

How would you compare the little big horn to a 2" vbar? Is there a proportional ratio of one to the other? I've never tried the horn so am curious if a good vbar grip will carryover to it.

I think the little big horn is a great tool. Andrew always has some sort of anvil lift in his medleys so this is a nice way to progressively train anvil lifts. I'm not sure about the carryover to the 2 inch V bar since I don't have a ton of experience with either lift. I think it would have decent carry over though since the hand placement is similar and I grab the anvil where its about as thick as the V bar. You can tilt the anvil though since its attached to a carabiner. I need to start training both of these lifts more though because Andrew always includes them. I have the V bar and I haven't used it much.

Tonight I did some steel bending. Pretty decent session. I was a little tight to start but eventually loosened up.

Steel Bending - All Done Double Overhand in IMPs with Rubber Bands

4 - 1/4" x 7" HRS Round Bars

2 - 1/4" x 7" HRS Square Bars

1 - .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

- Pretty happy that I'm starting to bend 7 inch M Drill Rod in IMPs consistently. My fingers are also starting to toughen up nicely. Bending in IMPs doesn't hurt as much as it use to and I'm starting to recover quicker between workouts. I need to keep pushing now and keep getting the volume in. Need to keep stretching also. I'm keeping the steel higher but not high enough.

thanks for the reply bro.

Of course buddy. I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I just got back from spending time at my girl's place in the city and all she has is an I Pad and I freaking hate typing with that thing.