Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

nice things is, you can bend in the gym pretty easy. wouldn't be too hard to test out.

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually have a bench press setup at home so I'll try bending with a harder chest workout next time they fall on the same day. I don't think bending at the gym is a good idea.............I might scare people with my war screams haha :).

The MM4 arrived in the mail today so I did squats and grippers. I pyramided up in both until I took all 3 of my MM4 certification attempts. I sent the video to wannagrip and now its in the judges hands. I gave everything I had and that is all I can do. Fingers crossed. I'll post the video in this log no matter what the judges decide. No matter what happens I will be on that list. If this video doesn't pass, I'll sign up again right away. There is no quit in me. I'll keep fighting and clawing up the MM ladder.

• Like 4

Your first post:

"So I'm pretty new to this site but I decided to start a training log for extra motivation. I closed the #3 with a parallel set a couple years ago but just stopped training. I'm getting back into it with the goal of certifying on the #3 within in the year and I would also like to make a run at the mash monster ladder. I closed the #2.5 the first time I tried heavy duty grippers and within a couple of months closed the #3. 2 nights ago I was close to closing the #3 again after my training session. I will be posting my training routine here. I respect the knowledge of everyone on this site since some of the best grip guys are members. Please respond with your critic of my routine and let me know if there is anything else I should try to in order to reach my goal. I just order my first new gripper in years (the RB240) which I hope will help me close the gap between the 2.5 and 3. I also have a BBM 5/8" and BBGM on the way to mix things up. I will probably start posting as soon as the RB 240 comes in."

You have came a long way.

• Like 1

Your first post:

"So I'm pretty new to this site but I decided to start a training log for extra motivation. I closed the #3 with a parallel set a couple years ago but just stopped training. I'm getting back into it with the goal of certifying on the #3 within in the year and I would also like to make a run at the mash monster ladder. I closed the #2.5 the first time I tried heavy duty grippers and within a couple of months closed the #3. 2 nights ago I was close to closing the #3 again after my training session. I will be posting my training routine here. I respect the knowledge of everyone on this site since some of the best grip guys are members. Please respond with your critic of my routine and let me know if there is anything else I should try to in order to reach my goal. I just order my first new gripper in years (the RB240) which I hope will help me close the gap between the 2.5 and 3. I also have a BBM 5/8" and BBGM on the way to mix things up. I will probably start posting as soon as the RB 240 comes in."

You have came a long way.

Thank you. Its crazy how fast time flies. I started training because I was going through a difficult time in my life and I needed a physical goal to lose myself in. The Captains of Crush #3 certification was that goal. Even though I have achieved it, I wanna see how far I can go. Training has really helped me deal with stress and anxiety.

Well, I'm completely exhausted. Things are starting to pick up with school so I'm not training at all tonight. I need to relax. Even though its already been posted every where on the board, I try to keep this log as complete as possible so here is my official Mash Monster 4 Certification Video:

Time to move on to the next goal.

Some left hand gripper work and light steel bending. Nothing special. I didn't do any gripper work for my left hand on the day I made MM4 certification attempts. My OCD brain likes to keep things equal so I did some left hand only gripper work tonight. I got back home really late from class tonight so this is all I had time for.

Grippers - All reps parallel or slightly wider

Left Hand

Warm Ups

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

COC #2.5 = 3 reps

Original COC #3 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Working

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 reps

- All of these closes were done "cold". No squats or anything to fire up the CNS. Low intensity because I was just getting some work in. I plan on upping the Left hand gripper work in the upcoming months because I have a long term goal of Certing the MM3 Off-Hand. Its going to take time.

Bending - All done Double Overhand in single IMPs and rubber bands

3 - 1/4" x 7" round HRS

2 - 1/4" x 7" square HRS

1 - 5/16" x 7" round HRS

1 - .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

- Very casual bends. low intensity. Just getting some work in

Notes. I have a couple things to look forward to. The guy on steelbenders.org finally PMed me back and said he is going to send the HOSS COC #3.5 gripper. Looks like I'm going to be attempting another gripper certification very soon. That is cool with me because I love grippers. You have to grab the certifications when you can because you never know what will happen. I'm also planning on attempting the FBBC Bastard Steel bending certification. Daniel Reinard sent me some bending stock a while back and I found a Bastard bar in the batch. I will probably do the Bastard cert right after the semester is over and use the time till then to make sure I destroy it. I'm also competing in the Akron Stronghands contest in Ohio April 27th. Its right before my study week for finals so it will be nice to let out a little aggression before I lock myself in the library. I really like the grip crowd in Ohio anyway so it will be cool hanging out with those guys.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I just did my bending supersetted with benching. If they were split up I was either too tight or whooped to do bending. This way the benching is a good chest and shoulder warmup for bending. Hit a couple bends then get back to max benching. You've already bent the red a couple times so you don't need more bending strength. You just need to grease the groove a little bit, polish the technique, and get that muscle memory in auto. Just my 2 cents bro. You're doing well with your plan though so prob dumb of me to recommend anything else. I was where you were and putting the two together was my solution.

I actually do the opposite, I mix bending with pulling haha. I'll superset swings, snatches, rows, deadlifts etc with bending hits. i think of it like pulling a rubber band back. i do better with more variety of movement rather than a 'chest' day. that's just me though.

I just did my bending supersetted with benching. If they were split up I was either too tight or whooped to do bending. This way the benching is a good chest and shoulder warmup for bending. Hit a couple bends then get back to max benching. You've already bent the red a couple times so you don't need more bending strength. You just need to grease the groove a little bit, polish the technique, and get that muscle memory in auto. Just my 2 cents bro. You're doing well with your plan though so prob dumb of me to recommend anything else. I was where you were and putting the two together was my solution.

I actually do the opposite, I mix bending with pulling haha. I'll superset swings, snatches, rows, deadlifts etc with bending hits. i think of it like pulling a rubber band back. i do better with more variety of movement rather than a 'chest' day. that's just me though.

One thing I have learned is that everyone is different and its important find out what works best for you.

Tonight I did some light cardio, calves and wrist training. Nothing too strenuous. Next workout, I'll start picking up the intensity. The rest has been good, but I want to start going hard again.

Bike

10 mins

Standing Calf Raises (Olympic bar across my shoulder. This is ankle rehab work)

Body Weight = 30 reps

+ 45 lbs = 30 reps

+ 95 lbs = 20 reps

+ 135 lbs = 4 sets of 15 reps

Sledge Lever to Forehead

6 lb Sledge = 5 reps each arm

8 lb Sledge = 3 reps each arm

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps each arm

12 lb Sledge = 1 rep right arm. Nice. Just got this one and got a clean rep but it was hard., 10 lb Sledge = 2 reps left arm

10 lb Sledge = 2 reps each arm

Sledge Rear Weaver Stick

8 lb Sledge = 2 reps each arm

Supination/Pronation With Homemade Leverage Bar

10 lbs = 8 reps each side

8.75 lbs = 2 sets of 8 reps each side

One thing I have learned is that everyone is different and its important find out what works best for you.

Exactly!

Some back and thick bar work tonight.

Rolling Thunder (New Handle)

Warm ups

106 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

121 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

Working

141 lbs = 4 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Double Overhand Olympic Bar Deadlifts (Conventional Stance, no hook grip)

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

275 lbs = 5 reps

Working

295 lbs = 5 reps

305 lbs = 3 reps

315 lbs = 3 reps

325 lbs = 3 reps

Dumbbell Kroc Rows with Fat Gripz

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 15 reps each hand

Barbell Bent Over Rows with Fat Gripz

135 lbs = 3 sets of 8 reps

- hands and forearms smoked at this point

Extensors

Red + White IM Band = 3 sets of 20 reps each hand

Edited by Chez

Took a couple days off from training because my forearms were super sore after the last session, but in a good way. I'm a firm believer in listening to my body. I don't train until I'm recovered enough to get the most out of my workouts. I spent the weekend with my girlfriend in NYC. Good times. Trained Shoulders and triceps tonight. It was a quick workout. I got home from school late and I have work to get done for tomorrow.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

Working

135 lbs = 10 reps

145 lbs = 10 reps

155 lbs = 8 reps

- not a huge fan of "higher reps" but its good to throw them in every now and then. I did them for the rest of the workout as well.

Dumbbell Side laterals (1 arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions (Both Arms Simultaneously)

31.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

36.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

36.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

41.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

41.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

Note: Nothing Special this workout. Just getting some work in. The HOSS COC #3.5 should be here Wednesday or Thursday if the guy sent it out when he said he would. Time for crazy Chez to make an appearance.

Steel bending tonight.

Bending - All DO in IMPs + Rubber Bands

2 - 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

2 - 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

2 - 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

Bending - DO in IMPs without Rubber Bands

Older Spiral Style Red Nail - First time bending a red in IMPs without rubber bands. It was even uglier than usual, but I got just under 1 min. :yikes Video Below.

• Like 1

I am super tired. I compete in the Akron Strong Hands Comp this past weekend. 7 hrs drive each way. I did about as I expected I would in the first 3 events, but totally bombed the last event because of stupidity and my crap ankle. He is a recap of the weekend.

First Event: Euro 2 Hand Pinch = The format was a little different than the typical grip contest. The width was fixed at 52mm for everyone to make things go quicker. Not too far off my preferred width of 54mm though. This event was also last man standing format. This means that once you decided to take a lift you have to continue to lift every weight increase until you fail. Each time the weight increase by 10 lbs which is a huge jump on the Euro once you start getting close to you max. I like having a lot of warm ups before I got for a max attempt so I started lifting right from the first weight of 102 lbs. I missed a PR attempt of 202 lbs by an inch or so. That stung big time! My previous best was 200 lbs which I lifted a couple weeks ago at Jedd's place. I had to settled for 192 lbs which isn't bad considering the event format. I would have definitely gotten something in between.

Second Event: Rolling Thunder Both Hands = So I just started training the rolling thunder again after a long layoff. I knew my numbers weren't going to be great. This event was again last man standing format. I came in at the starting weight of 100 lbs and took all my attempts ending with a good lift of 160 lbs with both my right and left hands. The weight increased by 10 lbs every time. My previous best on the rolling thunder is 183 lbs so I lost a lot of strength on this. I felt better when I saw that only 2 guys got above 180 lbs with either hand (Paul Knight and Andrew Durniat). A couple of guy were able to pull 180 with either hand but not many. No excuses, I need to keep training this event.

Third Event: Medley = This was a super heavy 3 minute medley. Even Andrew Durniat admitted it was a serious medley even though he lifted everything with 20+ seconds to spare (dude is an absolute monster). I ended up with 17 out of 29 points. Not bad. I think I only missed 1 or 2 items that I would normally get. The rest of the stuff was wicked hard.

Fourth Event: Grip Farmers walks = Alright, here is where I completely bombed. The first part of the this event is to pick up Two 25 lb hub plates and walk as far as possible in 30 seconds. I rushed and blew it. I picked the the plates up and started moving quick before I made sure I had a firm grip and the one in my left hand fell immediately. Got a big zero for this part of the event. There are only 4 events so its near impossible to recover from a zero. There are few events in grip comps in general so a zero just destroys your overall score. I know hubs are a weakness of mine in general. I have actually been working on it and picked up every hub plate in the medley. I had to laugh at myself and made jokes about it to everyone. No biggie. These competitions are about having fun. I'm human and I make mistakes. This is great experience and I'll make sure I don't do it again. I think this was more a mental error from being tired and just not focusing. The next part of this event was walking as far as possible with fat gripz on farmers handles that weigh 105 lbs each. The farmers handles spread the fat gripz even further than usual making the handle even thicker. My ankle was acting up at this point. I just gritted my teeth and went 129 feet. I'm going to start doing ankle exercise more often to rehab this bum ankle.

After contest festivities: Some of us went over Paul Knight's house after to eat, drink and perform some more grip feats. Hes a super cool guy and ridiculously strong even though he said he isn't in peak condition. a couple of highlights for me included closing a COC #3 CCS both hands even though my hands were fried. I closed a COC #3.5 MMS right hand and missed it by 1 mm MMS left hand. Not too shabby after a grip comp. I bent a 1/4" x 6" grade 8 bolt double underhand which is a PR. I picked up his 50 lb Blob and pinched five 10 lb plates. did reps with 200 on his 2 inch v bar. really good considering how tired I was.

I always have a terrific time in Ohio. The people are amazing. The competition was very well organized. The field was crazy strong. Andrew Durniat, Brandon Gerber, Brent Barbe, Paul Knight, bunch of power lifters. Look forward to coming back for nationals. I'm starting to get deep into finals studying. My current GPA qualifies me to graduate law school with honors. I'm going to be killing myself over the next 2 weeks to make sure that happens. I won't be training until I graduate on May 14th. Until then I just don't have the time. This may turn out to be a good thing. We all need breaks in training. Maybe my ankle will get a chance to properly heal. I plain on taking 3 months off from squats and deadlifts after nationals to help the ankle recover. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the podiatrist and come up with a new plan. I will work around this. Nothing will stop me.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Sounds like an awesome time Chez, especially after the comp! The time off until finals are done will due you good. Good luck bro!

• Like 1

Dude, great story! Very strong work even after the competition! And very cool to be able to meet up with all these great guys. You are definitely one of those gripmonsters right now buddy. Good luck on your finals buddy. There's a time for everything, you'll be grippin again soon. Only in a suit by than I expect haha

• Like 1

I'm suppose to be studying for finals, but I couldn't resist picking up some grippers tonight. I closed this COC #3.5 for 2 straight GHP Block set singles and then gave it a ride CCS and I missed it by a very small margin. Fresh its going down CCS. Its my lighter #3.5 172 RGC. Baby Steps. I'm getting there.

• Like 2

Thanks fellas. Even though I'm deep into finals survival mode I have making a little time for training but much less than I normally do. I did some pinch work today during my study breaks. It wasn't much but it will help me keep sharp. Also, the HOSS #3.5 has been shipped finally and should be here any day now. I will probably take a break from studying and make my attempts Saturday. They allow the video to be public even before judging is completed so I'll upload here no matter what happens.

There is always time. Haha.

Training is the only way I survive finals. I can blow off all the steam that builds up when i'm writing papers.

Good luck!

There is always time. Haha.

Training is the only way I survive finals. I can blow off all the steam that builds up when i'm writing papers.

Good luck!

Thanks buddy. 2 out 3 finals done! I definitely need something to help my blow off steam. HOSS #3.5 cert attempt is going down tomorrow. Everything is set. Hopefully I can gather up the energy even though I have pulling late nights studying.

• Like 1

Hoss #3.5 gripper certification = dominated :grin:

Edit: read below. Thought I read you already did the cert from HOSS.

Edited by Geralt

Correction: read it wrong, but positive vibes to you from Holland haha hope you get it.

• Like 1

Correction: read it wrong, but positive vibes to you from Holland haha hope you get it.

Thanks Geralt. The video is posted above of my HOSS #3.5 closes. This certification allows you to post the video publicly before its judged.

my left hand is still going to dominate your right. LOOK OUT.

• Like 1