Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Juha should referee every comp! He won't let BS fly!

Definitely. Juha knows his stuff. Most of the time the guy judging these competitions doesn't even look like he lifts let alone trains grip. They give a good lift no matter what as long as the weight goes up in the air. People are always grabbing far to the side on the non revolving part. Bracing their arm against their body etc...

Tonight I trained Shoulders, Triceps and some wrist.

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

145 lbs = 8 reps

155 lbs = 8 reps

160 lbs = 6 reps

Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals (1 arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions

36.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

42.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps

Close Grip Push Ups with floor handles

15 reps

15 reps

12 reps

- I hate push ups. Especially after pressing and extensions.

Sledge Hammer Rear Weaver Stick

6 lb Sledge = 4 reps each arm

8 lb Sledge = 2 sets of 3 reps each arm

Sledge Slim leaver from the floor to shoulder

8 lb Sledge = 5 reps each hand

10 lb Sledge = 2 sets of 5 reps each hand.

- 10 lb Sledge is getting easy for this. Have to move up the 12 lb one soon.

Some Bending and Pinch today.

Bending - All DO in single IMPs and rubber bands

(2) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(2) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(2) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) .292" x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) Red Nail. Nice! Felt good to do that again. Need to keep taking them down and get this cert over with.

2 Hand Pinch Euro

55 lbs = 10 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

125 lbs = 2 reps

135 lbs = 2 reps

145 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 2 reps

175 lbs = 2 reps

175 lbs = 2 reps

170 lbs = 1 rep

165 lbs = 2 reps

IM Hub

32 lbs = 5 reps each hand

42 lbs = 2 sets of 4 reps each hand

- moving this up in the workout to concentrate on it and get better.

Block Weights

36 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

46 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

Jedd's 50 lb Slick Next Generation Blob = Three 10 second isometric squeezes each hand. All out effort.

I was suppose to go to the gym today, but I got caught up studying. Bar Exam studying has really picked up. I need to put in more hours each day. I did a quick back workout at home tonight.

Ghetto Hyper extensions/Good Mornings

- Knees slightly bent with my butt to the wall and bending at the waist with a weight plate in my hands.

Body Weight = 20 reps (Just to Stretch)

Holding a 45 lb Weight Plate = 5 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Rows

81.5 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

92.5 lb DB = 8 reps each arm

102.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm

Inverted Rows in my Power Rack

Body Weight with heals on the ground = 5 sets of 8 reps

Ankle Rehab Exercises

Note: That is it for tonight. Studying really takes it out of me. This stuff is super dense and boring.

Trained Chest and grippers today. I'm inching closer to getting back up to full strength on grippers and certing the MM5. I made some nice progress today. I used my adjustable Dumbbells for chest because Mike Sharkey told me to lay off barbell benching until I cert the red since it makes me even less flexible. Adjustable DBs are Awkward as hell for pressing. I wasted a lot of energy kicking them up to my chest and balancing. I guess its good since it limits how much weight I can use.

Dumbbell Bench Press

Warm ups

31.5 lb DBs = 10 reps

61.5 lb DBs = 8 reps

Working

81.5 lb DBs = 8 reps

91.5 lb DBs = 8 reps

102.5 lb DBs = 8 reps

102.5 lb DBs = 7 reps. This weight is super awkward with adjustables. I had more but decided to stop because I lost the balance at this point. Not worth it.

91.5 lb DBs = 8 reps

- I may keep the weight in the 90s and just do more reps next time.

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

71.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Grippers (All MMS and wider on the heavier grippers because my set strength blows right now)

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

RB 210 = 3 reps

Cert #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Working

179.7 lb COC #3.5 = 1 rep. Nice! Felt good to close that again.

179.7 lb COC #3.5 = missed because of a horrible set. Really need to get my set strength back. Decided to drop down to not push things too much too fast.

176.05 lb MM3 Replica = 1 rep

176.05 lb MM3 Replica = 1 rep. Money

174 lb RB 280 = 2 reps

174 lb RB 280 = 2 reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #1.5 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

RB 210 = 1 reps

Original #3 = 1 rep

Working

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = Miss. Another real bad set. I might have to do some vulcan 2 work to get my set back

159.6 lb RB 330N = 1 rep

159.6 lb RB 330N = 1 rep

153 lb Cert #3 = 2 reps

153 lb Cert #3 = 2 reps

Note = Overall pretty happy with the workout. Moving in the right direction again.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I've never used Db's that might be why I'm so inflexible with my upper body also-lower body is fine since I think squats help with maintaining that flexibility-. Strong gripper work you will be in the 180's again in no time. A mm5 is probably around the old #4's so that would be a huge achievement since it must be close to low 190.

Which goal do you want to get first the mm5 or the red nail?

Also good luck with the Bar I can't imagine how much work you have to put in for that test. Should be a good year if you can hit the goals you have set in grip and pass that test, would be worthy of celebration time I imagine after that.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Good work with the lefty and you'll catch up with you right soon. Although you are putting up great numbers already now with grippers.

With dumbbellpresses I put another small bench in front of my regular bench setup. That way I can grab the dumbbells from kneeheight, sit down

and then immediately use the momentum to swing them up. I have two rubber tiles next to the setup on which I can just drop the dumbbells, so it's not

getting a bicep exercise. Besides that it's less taxing for my arms, I want to save them as much as possible with the tendinitis and stuff. Straight bar benching didn't bring me much, besides shoulderpain when ramping up the weight. I am doing dumbbells now far more than straight bar stuff.

I've never used Db's that might be why I'm so inflexible with my upper body also-lower body is fine since I think squats help with maintaining that flexibility-. Strong gripper work you will be in the 180's again in no time. A mm5 is probably around the old #4's so that would be a huge achievement since it must be close to low 190.

Which goal do you want to get first the mm5 or the red nail?

Also good luck with the Bar I can't imagine how much work you have to put in for that test. Should be a good year if you can hit the goals you have set in grip and pass that test, would be worthy of celebration time I imagine after that.

Thanks Stephen. ya, its tough being flexible in the upper body when you are a big guy. I'm big, but you are gigantic. Your reverse strength is sick though. You could be one of the few guys who certs the red with a reverse bend. I have a 192 lb rated MM replica gripper in my collection. Once I can close that, then I will immediately sign up for the MM5. I have a 189+ replica to take down first. Its going to take time because I like to go slow and steady to avoid injury. I'll cert the red nail first because I am closer to that right now. I also just want to get it out of the way. Its a goal that has been lingering. I should have signed up right before my hand bruise since I felt ready. The bruise set me back a few weeks. Studying for the bar is such a pain in the butt. So much information to keep straight. I celebrate everyday of studying I get through with a nice big glass of wine :).

Good work with the lefty and you'll catch up with you right soon. Although you are putting up great numbers already now with grippers.

With dumbbellpresses I put another small bench in front of my regular bench setup. That way I can grab the dumbbells from kneeheight, sit down

and then immediately use the momentum to swing them up. I have two rubber tiles next to the setup on which I can just drop the dumbbells, so it's not

getting a bicep exercise. Besides that it's less taxing for my arms, I want to save them as much as possible with the tendinitis and stuff. Straight bar benching didn't bring me much, besides shoulderpain when ramping up the weight. I am doing dumbbells now far more than straight bar stuff.

Thanks buddy. I'm sure it will get easier as I get more use to using the dumbbells. Eventually, once I'm working full time I would like to buy a used rack of fixed weight dumbbells for my home gym. I have a lot of ideas for how awesome my home gym will be in the future. It gets a little bigger and a little better all the time.

Had a family party at my house yesterday and did my bending workout during it while showing some of the guys what I train. I also trained thick bar and biceps today during a study break.

Bending - Yesterday

- All done DO in single IMPs and rubber bands.

(2) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(2) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) Red Nail - Probably the easiest I have ever bent a red in IMPs. It was like butter. If I can do it like this next session, I'll contact IM.

Thick Bar and Biceps - Today

Rolling Thunder

Warm ups

106 lbs = 8 lifts each hand

Working

137 lbs = 3 sets of 8 lifts each hand

IM Little Big Horn

108 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

111 lbs = 2 sets of 5 lifts each hand

Standing EZ Curl Bar Bicep Curls

55 lbs = 10 reps

75 lbs = 8 reps

85 lbs = 8 reps

95 lbs = 8 reps

100 lbs = 8 reps

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls

47.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps each arm.

A little late updating the log again. Wednesday Night I did pinch and yesterday I trained Legs.

Pinch - Yesterday

1 Hand Pinch Euro

55 lbs = 4 lifts each hand

60 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

65 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

70 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

77.5 lbs = 2 lifts left, 75 lbs = 1 lift right. Right hand feels off and it carried through the rest of the workout.

70 lbs = 3 lifts left and 2 lifts right

65 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

65 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

IM Hub

34.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

45 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

45 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

Block Weights

38 lb Blob = 3 lifts each hand

46 lb Blob = 2 lifts each hand

Attempts each hand with Jedd's Smooth Next Generation 50 lb Blob and my 50 lb Hex = not yet

46 lb Blob + 5 lbs = 2 lifts right and failed left. Strange because my left is always better on block weights. I think I gave more effort on the attempts with the heavy block weights left and it fried that hand

- My pinch in general felt off. It might be due to the fact that my garage is like a 100 degrees lately. Everything felt slick.

Legs - Yesterday

Leg Extensions

160 lbs = 5 sets of 10 reps

Seated Leg Curls

130 lbs = 10 reps

130 lbs = 4 sets of 8 reps

Leg Press

270 lbs + Apparatus = 5 sets of 20 reps. Dang, I hate high reps. This started to burn by the last set. Sweated a lot. Going to keep doing it though since this is better for my ankle. Less stress on the injury. I just had my orthotics fixed so hopefully that helps, but my ankle is definitely getting stronger since I'm letting it rest. Just ordered Rogue Weight lifting shoes to further help.

There are some pictures I thought were cool:

I started keeping the steel I bend. Here is a picture of the steel I have bent the last couple months:

Box of Bent Steel

I measured my forearm today. My right forearm came at to be roughly 14.75 inches in circumference. Pretty cool since the only thing I do for forearms is grip training. They have definitely gotten bigger since I started to train grip. Nothing special but progress.

Right Forearm Measurement

I know what you mean about the garage training. Lately everything I lift in my garage feels like it is sweating. Haha. Tis the season!

Some pretty thick and solid lowerarms Chez. I measured my arms 'cold' and right came out 13,38 inch (34 cm) and lefty 12.,99 inch (33 cm) both not flexed.

I don't feel I have the biggest lowerarms or so. I have very long arms. I also never do any lowerarm work like heavy curls and stuff.

Upper arms came out 44cm/17,32 inch R and 43cm/16,92 inch L (biceps flexed) Never measured them before.

I know what you mean about the garage training. Lately everything I lift in my garage feels like it is sweating. Haha. Tis the season!

Yep, not great for friction dependent lifts.

Some pretty thick and solid lowerarms Chez. I measured my arms 'cold' and right came out 13,38 inch (34 cm) and lefty 12.,99 inch (33 cm) both not flexed.

I don't feel I have the biggest lowerarms or so. I have very long arms. I also never do any lowerarm work like heavy curls and stuff.

Upper arms came out 44cm/17,32 inch R and 43cm/16,92 inch L (biceps flexed) Never measured them before.

Thanks Geralt. The measurement above was cold but I was flexing. My Biceps are between 18 and 18.25 inches cold depending on how much I have been eating and how hard I train them. I'm not really focused on them now since they get in the way with bending if they are too big. I just measured my right bicep cold at a hair under 18.25 inches. I have super long arms. My arm span is 6'7". I can easily put all my fingers on an 8 foot room ceiling without needing to go on my toes.

Last night I did some bending. I had a really off night which is strange since I did so well last week. Oh well. Tonight I trained light shoulders and grippers. I set a MMS PR both right hand and left hand on grippers which more than made up for the my off night bending.

Bending - last night. All Done DO in single IMPS and rubber bands

(2) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(2) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

I then attempted 2 red nails without rubber bands. As soon as I took off the rubber bands, the IMPs got real loose. I couldn't get the technique. This messed with my head and I only kinked the red nails. Super pissed about this. This tells me I need more practice without bands. Oh well

Light Shoulders and Grippers - Tonight

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press - Went light and kept the reps high

Warm ups

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 10 reps

135 lbs = 5 sets of 10 reps

Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals ( 1 Arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 4 sets of 12 reps each arm

Standing alternating Dumbbell Front Raises

31.5 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

42.5 lb DB = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Grippers - All done MMS or slightly wider. This was the fun part of the workout :)

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC .5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

RB 210 = 3 reps

Cert #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard Elite = 1 rep

Working

174 lb RB 280 = 1 rep

182.3 lb RB 330 = 1 rep

185.8 lb MM3 Replica = 1 rep

189.85 lb MM5 Replica = 1 rep. Brand New PR MMS Right Hand :mosher I"M BACK! Video below of the close.

176.05 lb MM3 Replica = 3 sets of 2 reps

174 lb RB 280 = 3 reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

COC .5 = 8 reps

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

RB 210 = 3 reps

Cert #3 = 1 rep

RB 330N = 1 rep

Working

165. 3 lb BBE = 1 rep

172 lb COC #3.5 = 1 rep. Brand new PR Left Hand MMS! First time Closing a #3.5 Left Hand :grin: . Video below.

174 lb RB 280 = missed by 1 millimeter

174 lb RB 280 = missed by 1 millimeter. argh! maybe next time. I filmed the attempts and it was ridiculously close. I couldn't get a still so I'll call them misses.

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

159.6 lb RB 330N = 2 sets of 2 reps

153 lb Cert #3 = 3 reps

Here is the MM5 Replica right hand Close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPmbw_Wbyk8

Here is the COC #3.5 left Hand close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJKiKxsln94

Note: This is one of the few times I have been "on" both left hand and right hand with grippers at the same time. It felt good.

• Like 2

Great work going down in here Chez.

I'll tell you what worked for me with the whole rubber band bending thing. I would do all my warm-up bends without rubber bands and then my max efforts with them. This way I practiced taking off the rubber bands and getting used to hand positioning, keeping a tight roll etc. on easier bends where it didn’t matter if it was a little loose. Then I’d leave the bands on for max attempts so I could just purely focus on improving my strength. After a month or so I was so used to taking off rubber bands that when I tried it with a max attempt it was no big deal.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Great work going down in here Chez.

I'll tell you what worked for me with the whole rubber band bending thing. I would do all my warm-up bends without rubber bands and then my max efforts with them. This way I practiced taking off the rubber bands and getting used to hand positioning, keeping a tight roll etc. on easier bends where it didn’t matter if it was a little loose. Then I’d leave the bands on for max attempts so I could just purely focus on improving my strength. After a month or so I was so used to taking off rubber bands that when I tried it with a max attempt it was no big deal.

Good luck!

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the tip Sean. For some reason I get real nervous without rubber bands. Its stupid but it messes with my head. I'll start doing this next bending session.

School example of strong gripdude. Nuff said.

Thanks buddy. You are pretty strong yourself. Keep up the great work.

Tonight I hit Triceps and Bending. I started to implement no rubber bands on my warm up bends. Bending went pretty well.

Lying Triceps Extensions + Explosive Close grip Bench press with an EZ Curl Bar

55 lbs = 10 Extensions and 10 presses

75 lbs = 10 Extensions and 10 presses

85 lbs = 3 sets of 10 Extensions and 10 presses

Bending - All done in single IMPs

Without Bands

(2) 1/4" x 7" Round HRS

(1) 1/4" x 7" Square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

With Bands

(1) .292 x 7" M Drill Rod

(1) Red Nail - That felt good after my cruddy last session

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS - threw it in for more volume

Close Grip Push ups with Floor Handles

3 sets of 15 reps

Note: I bought a MM7 Replica pre rated at 197 lbs from Cannon. This should be at MM6 level. I already have Tetting grippers at MM5 Level. I also have a COC #4 at MM7 Level. I'm all set to make an assault at the upper tier of the MM Pyramid.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

wow unreal work recently in here

The mm5 and 3.5 off hand close were insane! You have such an explosive close all my max effort closes have always been grinders. Do you do anything in particular to work speed or have you always naturally been explosive with grip strength? I notice even for my lifting my best lifts are grinders also where some guys can do a max effort super fast and make it look like a warm up but if you add much more weight they miss it. I guess has to do with how your CNS fires or the amount of high twitch fibers you have.

You should borrow one of the older #4's that are rated around low190 so you can be a # 4 closer

• Like 1

wow unreal work recently in here

The mm5 and 3.5 off hand close were insane! You have such an explosive close all my max effort closes have always been grinders. Do you do anything in particular to work speed or have you always naturally been explosive with grip strength? I notice even for my lifting my best lifts are grinders also where some guys can do a max effort super fast and make it look like a warm up but if you add much more weight they miss it. I guess has to do with how your CNS fires or the amount of high twitch fibers you have.

You should borrow one of the older #4's that are rated around low190 so you can be a # 4 closer

Thanks Stephen. I actually don't do anything specifically to train speed or explosiveness for gripper closes. I just give my all and psych myself up every time I go for a max close. I'm very big on visualization and motivation. I watch movies, listen to music and listen to speeches that pump me up. I believe a lot of strength training is mental.Once I can close my Beer Builder Super Elite rated at 194+ lbs I'm going to ask Aaron C to borrow his COC #4 rated at 194 lbs. There are youtube videos of him and Paul Knight closing it and a video where Tim Struse closed it for reps. I'm very focused now and I won't stop. I'm having way too much fun.

• Like 2

Just a standard Back Workout tonight during a study break. Nothing special.

Ghetto Hyper Extensions/Good Mornings

-Knees Slightly bent and butt against a wall. Bending at the waist while holding a weight plate.

Body Weight = 20 reps

Holding a 46 lb Weight Plate = 4 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm Bent Over Dumbbell Rows

81.5 lb DB = 10 reps each arm

101.5 lbs DB = 4 sets of 8 reps each arm

Inverted Rows

Body Weight = 3 sets of 8 reps

Note: Quick and simple tonight

Bending and wrist work tonight

Bending - All done DO and in single IMPs

without rubber bands

(2) 1/4" x 7" round HRS

(1) 1/4" x 7" square HRS

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

(1) .292 x 7" M Drill Rod

with rubber bands

(1) Red Nail

(1) 5/16" x 7" Round HRS

Sledge Lever to Forehead

6 lbs = 3 reps each hand

8 lbs = 3 reps each hand

10 lbs = 2 reps each hand

10 lbs = 2 reps each hand

6 lbs = 5 reps each hand

Supination/ Pronation with homemade leverage bar

7.5 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Note = getting more comfortable without rubber bands on bends.

I also go for the mental pump! Inspirational videos/ Eminem/ Slipknot/ Someone i care about/ pain/ it all goes into my grippers or any workout! You got that 3.5 cert man for real!!

I also go for the mental pump! Inspirational videos/ Eminem/ Slipknot/ Someone i care about/ pain/ it all goes into my grippers or any workout! You got that 3.5 cert man for real!!

Thanks Joshua. I'll keep chipping away at the goal until it happens.

I'm not training tonight. I'm tired and lost some skin on my index finger during my last bend yesterday. Not a big deal. I'll give it a couple days to heal up by working around it with exercises that don't put stress on it. I also have a lot of studying to do. Actually looking forward to a rest tonight.

I started this log after my first semester of law school. Stress motivated me to start training as a way to deal with a difficult time in my life. Today I picked up my law school diploma. Feels right that I include a picture of that in this log. I worked my butt of for it:

Law School Diploma

I also received my new MM7 Replica rated at 197 lbs from Cannon Power Works today. Going to be so much fun training to close this one:

MM7 Replica - Rated at 197 lbs

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Thats a good lookin diploma should be very proud i completed the poloce academy last year very hard but i enjoyed it. M7 looks mean!

Congrats!

• Like 1

Being able to finish law school AND make as much progress as you've made in grip is definitely something to be proud of! I can't wait to see you smash that new gripper!

• Like 1