Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Trained with a buddy yesterday evening. More talking than training, as he is totally new to weighttraining. But he likes it and I think it's good to carry out the griptraining and strengthtraining idea. Before he came by i did my griptraining combined with benchpress.

Grip:

Warmup

IM#1 x 5 TNS speedcloses;

IM#2 x 4 (filed) speecloses;

Vulcan level 9 2 x 3 speedcloses.

Working

IM#3 x 1 CCS Miss by a few mm's! WHAT THE #$%%*! CLOSE, you ...thing!! :chris::chris: :chris: :chris: :chris: :chris: :chris: :chris: :chris: (threw it into a corner. Didn't help the close but it felt good. Me and my #3 we have some sort of love and hate relationship :flowers: IM grippers are sturdy btw :grin:

Ok Geralt...'get a grip' :ph34r: breath in....breath out....

IM#3 x 1 MMS closed;

Vulcan level 16, missed by a hair;

MM2 replica x 1 MMS closed;

MM2 replica x 1 MMS closed (because of the knurling this gripper feels easier than my #3, truly!

IM#3 x 1 Deep set and held closes for a while.

IM#2.5 CCS, closed. strength starting to deplete;

Vulcan level 9 speedcloses;

IM#2 and #1 (both filed) repwork.

Wristroller mounted in my squatstand with RT sized PVC pipe, 20 kg both rolls normal and reversed.

Extra session because of overall body tomorrow in the precinct.

Filed IM#1 1 x 10 TNS

Filed IM#2 2 x 3 MMS speedcloses

Vulcan level 12 1 x 1 MMS closed

Choked Vulcan level 17 1 x 1 missed but forced closed and held firmly closed for a few seconds;

MM2 replica 4 x 1 CCS, all attempts missed, but not by a huge gap. Forced closed.

IM#3 1 x 1 MMS closed (but just)

Vulcan level 9 3 x 3 speedcloses

Choked IM#2 1 x 5 speedcloses

Choked IM#1 1 x 15 TNS.

I am one very happy person right now, finally first CCS #3 tonight.

All over bodytraining tonight, squats, light bench (bit of a $%& shoulderpain nagging me on my left shoulder), triceps and abs.

Just for blood flowing.

Warmup grip

Vulcan level 3 TNS 1 x 5 closes;

Vulcan level 9 MMS 2 x 3 speedreps;

Working

Opened up the package of my new IM#3 that arrived this evening! Nice fast delivery and the added CC that I didn't get with my 2008 #3 is a nice cool thing to receive with it I think. First try CCS...

New IM#3 CCS closed! :sorcerer: YEAH But just, I have to say honest, but the handles touched, but I still need to get that overcrush with it. But this #3 feels definitely 'less heavy' than my 'old' #3. The new one feels a bit more 'spongy' in the sweep and thus 'less heavy'. I want to be able ofcourse to close my old #3, but this is a good eye opener for me, since I now know that I can pull it off. And I know this evening I wasn't at the pinnacle of my strength. Going to choke my older #3.

Very glad with this one. I'll try to make a video soon, I'm not going to lose myself with this and try to stay focussed on further progress.

Another IM#3 CCS attempt, missed it by a fat elektron, thought it was closed but when I pushed it against my leg, I felt the last mm went down;

MM2 replica MMS 1 x 1 closed;

Vulcan level 15 MMS 1 x 1 closed;

Vulcan level 14 MMS 1 x 2 closes;

Vulcan level 9 MMS 1 x 3 speedcloses;

IM#2 (filed) 1 x 4 TNS closes as fast as possible;

IM#1 (filed) 1 x 15 TNS closes as explosive as possible.

Ended with wristroller (2 3/8 inch) both directions, mounted on barbell in squat rack, 20 kg's.

Good pump in my forearms!

Very glad with this session, although not amped up, I want to MASH the #3 when closing it CCS...it will come.

Focus now on a new cycle of dynamic effort with both Vulcan and TSG's. Level 16 MMS needs to fall with confidence and

I want more TNS reps on my filed #2.5. :chris:

• Like 1

That's what I'm talking about! Great job Man! I know how hard you have been training for that. Super proud of you. Get your butt on that list with me this year!

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Stupid thing is this morning I squeezed my choked #3 and it feels like a brick. Hope someday the time will come I can kill it everytime I pick up my #3.

Been doing a gripper workout and general training last friday, just a 70% session, not that much to mention. Been doing some thinking and before starting a new cycle of dynamic effort, I think of going to change my training, trying to build some more horsepower in my hands for a few weeks, and than ending with a new gripper only dynamic effort cycle. Ofcourse I'll keep on training my whole body as usual. This is my plan, starting as of tomorrow evening. By the way, I'm only mentioning my grip workoutplan.

Current status in grippers: MM2 replica MMS, CCS 'easy' #3 (did it once last week, but just,so that doesn't say to much), Vulcan MMS level 16 one time (again: but just).

Workout #1 day #1 Gripmachine

You can check under my signature 'my tools' what kind of gripmachine I have. I will set the handles around 30 mm set by placing a block of wood under the loadingbar.

4 sets of max reps per set. The weight stays the same throughout the session. When the weight total of all reps in all four sets surpasses the last session, I will up the weight a bit. Etc. I'll have to fiddle around what weight to start with, it's very depending on handle distance and hand/fingerplacement. I will use the most disadvantageous position.

Ending the session with mounted wristroller.

Workout #2 day #2 gripperworkout

Again, max workouts. I will focus on my Vulcan, MMS level 16 will be my target (maybe choking around level 17) and my IM#3.5 MMS.

Ending with leverage work and thumbwork.

I will do the sessions on mondayevening and fridayevening, the idea is to keep at least 2-3 days between sessions.

So that's my idea, thought it would be good for myself to write this down, so I can start immediatly with my notitions after training.

We'll see! I'll give it at least a month to see how the gripmachine combines with the feel of my gripperworkouts.

This basic gripmachineprogram was provided to me a year back by Carlos Rivera F. Pagan, we had some PM's about working with gripmachines etc. He used the IM Go Really Gripmachine. I also had some contact with Bill Malcolm, he also had good results in working with his gripmachine. I used my mostly for static holds for some time back and did to much different things. For now I like to turn things around for a bit. Change can be good.

Edited by Geralt

Grip

Warm up

Filed IM#1 1 x 5 TNS speedcloses;

Working

Gripmachine handlewidth 32 mm (around 1,26 inch) loaded with 100 kg (220 Lbs).

Try to keep my fingers not in the most comfortable zone for pulling the weight up, they have to strengthen up.

Used the gripmachine before but used a very small handlewidth. That didn't do the job.

4 sets: 1 x 5 = 500 kg

1 x 4 = 400 kg

1 x 3 = 300 kg

1 x 3 = 300 kg

Total 1500 kg

Good weight to start with.

Next session when I go over this total in 4 sets I'll up the weight.

Greasing the groove:

Vulcan level 14 1 x 3 MMS;

Vulcan level 12 1 x 7 MMS;

Wristroller (2 3/8 inch thick) mounted on squatrack

'normal' and reversed 2 x 30 kg normal 2 x 20 kg reversed.

For the rest squats, bench and tri's.

Wednesday all over body incl. deadlifts so that's the grippart for then. Friday heavy gripsession with TSG's when my hands feel good.

Training in the precinct, no grip directly.

Deadlifts, weighted pullups / chins, cablerows, biceps and some shoulder work..quit right there, completely exhausted because this afternoon

had my oldest daughter's 5th birthday with her schoolfriends. 8 little kids, a lot of fun but d.mn! They can keep you busy! :sorcerer: Nonetheless, it's

great watching to see them having fun. There's more in life than training..

Friday TSG's.

Edited by Geralt

Been doing a gripper workout and general training last friday, just a 70% session, not that much to mention. Been doing some thinking and before starting a new cycle of dynamic effort, I think of going to change my training, trying to build some more horsepower in my hands for a few weeks, and than ending with a new gripper only dynamic effort cycle. Ofcourse I'll keep on training my whole body as usual. This is my plan, starting as of tomorrow evening. By the way, I'm only mentioning my grip workoutplan.

Current status in grippers: MM2 replica MMS, CCS 'easy' #3 (did it once last week, but just,so that doesn't say to much), Vulcan MMS level 16 one time (again: but just).

Workout #1 day #1 Gripmachine

You can check under my signature 'my tools' what kind of gripmachine I have. I will set the handles around 30 mm set by placing a block of wood under the loadingbar.

4 sets of max reps per set. The weight stays the same throughout the session. When the weight total of all reps in all four sets surpasses the last session, I will up the weight a bit. Etc. I'll have to fiddle around what weight to start with, it's very depending on handle distance and hand/fingerplacement. I will use the most disadvantageous position.

Ending the session with mounted wristroller.

Workout #2 day #2 gripperworkout

Again, max workouts. I will focus on my Vulcan, MMS level 16 will be my target (maybe choking around level 17) and my IM#3.5 MMS.

Ending with leverage work and thumbwork.

I will do the sessions on mondayevening and fridayevening, the idea is to keep at least 2-3 days between sessions.

So that's my idea, thought it would be good for myself to write this down, so I can start immediatly with my notitions after training.

We'll see! I'll give it at least a month to see how the gripmachine combines with the feel of my gripperworkouts.

This basic gripmachineprogram was provided to me a year back by Carlos Rivera F. Pagan, we had some PM's about working with gripmachines etc. He used the IM Go Really Gripmachine. I also had some contact with Bill Malcolm, he also had good results in working with his gripmachine. I used my mostly for static holds for some time back and did to much different things. For now I like to turn things around for a bit. Change can be good.

Really good plan, I always admire your hardwork and such. Let me know how the grip machine works for ya. I don't have 1 in my collection but hope to afford 1 in time

@ Big T: Thank you man, appreciate it!

This afternoon new session, I felt a bit off. I should have trained yesterdayevening but I was to tired, so I decided to let it go and train this morning.

We were called by my mother in law this morning very early that my wife's grandmother was on her deathbed so we went to her nursinghouse where se

passed away a few hours later. It's also a two hour drive for us so it was not exactly the best day in years. When we came back I did a session as there wasn't much other things to do....but I was a bit shabby because of the long driving and hanging around and stuff...

Besides bench (felt very heavy definitely not strong today), tri's and abs:

Warm up

Vulcan level 3 1 x 5 TNS

IM#1 1 x 5 TNS speedcloses

Vulcan level 9 1 x 3 MMS speedcloses

Working

Vulcan level 16, missed by a hair MMS;

IM#3.5, deep set missed by a few mm MMS, forced closed and held closed;

Vulcan level 15 20mm block set, closed;

MM2 replica, closed MMS;

MM2 replica, MMS missed by a 'fat electron';

Choked Vulcan level 16 closed, but just;

Vulcan level 14 1 x 5 MMS reps;

Vulcan level 13 1 x 3 MMS reps;

Vulcan level 12 1 x 4 MMS reps;

All in all not bad but could do better. Monday gripmachine day.

Yes, very interesting! You are definitely working with a good plan here!

Bob :)

Pretty much crappy session last time and today busy working day. Mostly the same thing when I'm getting results in training: something happens and training gets ... up. Well. That said, today new session.

Bench is stalling a bit, but I know I can't progress with deadlift, bench, squats and grip all at the same time. Tried floorpresses tonight instead of regular benching. About the same in strength, around 225 lbs. Fiddled around with how it feels. End of the week I'll be doing repwork. With smaller weight on a regular bench. See how that goes. For the rest steady going with squats and deadlifts. Definitely not going to break the worldrecord here :-) Summer is comin'up so I'm just working on all-round strengthtraining and trying to keep in form.

GRIP

Fiddled around with my gripmachine, set the handles in a smaller position, around 22 mm. My 20 mm block easily fits through.

While doing that and experimenting with that I took after warm-up my Vulcan and did some MMS repwork with that.

Vulcan level 15 1 x 5 MMS (last 2 reps a bit smaller than MMS to be honest);

1 x 4 MMS

1 x 3 MMS

Some rep work at level 14 and speedreps at lower levels.

Did max work on my gripmachine after that to truly see my 1RM and see how grippers effect my closing strength on this thing.

100 kg 1 x 10 warm up

105 kg 1 x 6 warm up

120 kg 1 x 1

125 kg 1 x 1

135 kg 1 x 1

140 kg 1 x 1 (this took me effort and I noticed I was going to cheat, so this was my max tonight.)

Maybe around 150 kg when not doing grippers before this.

Wednesday deadlift and back.

Deadlifts tonight and assisting work.

Vulcan level 12 1 x 4 MMS

Vulcan level 9 3 x 3 MMS speedreps.

GTG. Nothing special.

I wanna see a #3 CCS close with that new gripper. Get pumped up and post it dude.

I will do so Chez, soon! Got a bit out of groove this week, very busy at work and tomorrow a funural, so no training tomorrow. This weekend I have to do a LOT in and around the house so next week I'll make a new start with training and with gripwork.

I can't efford any missed attempts at this moment, it's something psychological :ninja: I promised myself that every time I pick up a #3, I have to close it, preferably CCS :ph34r: Like a Gurkha knife, every time it's pulled out, it needs blood. I also want someone else to film my attempts when gripping, trying to keep the gripper into frame is not where I want to worry about when doing max attempts.

Thnx for the encouragement! I appreciate that very much.

New session and first one since some hard days work, social appointments etc. Now getting on with it.

Found a tyre center in my neighbourhood which were very kind to give me a nice old trucktyre when I asked for it.

I use my old wooden hammer for doing sledgehammer work with this for allround bodywork. Wish I'd done this 10 years earlier!

What a workout this gives! Damn.

Squats, shoulders and abs. Grip in between.

Filed IM#1 1 x 3 MMS;

Filed IM#2 1 x 3 MMS;

Vulcan level 12 1 x 1 MMS.

Working

Vulcan level 16 1 x 1 MMS closed!

Vulcan level 16 1 x 1 MMS closed;

Vulcan level 16 1 x 1 MMS closed;

IM#3 ('new') MMS closed;

IM#3 ('old') MMS closed;

IM#3 ('new') MMS closed;

Filed IM#2.5 CCS closed;

Filed IM#2 1 x 5 MMS

That's it.

After workout inside went outside where I dug my tyre in the ground on its side.

3 x 1 minute of hammering with 1 minute rest in between. Completely w a s t e d!

Also GREAT grip exc, hands were exhausted.

Very Nice! You dominated level 16. time to give level 17 a shot.

Thnx, I will do so indeed, next two workouts this week will be lighter though in intensity, I can only burn heavy about once a week.

Also still trying to incorporate my gripmachine in training. But since I want to go heavy with it, I don't want to stall my progress with grippers.

I'm also targetting at overall body strength, so wednesdays deadlift and backsession also asks it's fair share of my grip.

Deadlifts, weighted pullups, overall backtraining, biceps and abs.

Grip greasing the groove with IM#1 & 2.

Bench, weighted dips and some ab work.

Grip

Filed IM#1 1 x 5 TNS;

Filed IM#2 1 x 3 MMS;

Vulcan level 9 1 x 3 MMS;

Vulcan level 12 1 x 1 MMS;

Vulcan level 17 1 x 1 MMS missed by a hair, forced closed and held closed for a few secs;

Vulcan level 16 1 x 1 closed;

IM#3 1 x 1 MMS closed;

IM#3 1 x 1 MMS closed;

Choked Vulcan level 17 to parallel, closed;

Choked Vulcan level 16 to parallel, closed;

Choked Vulcan level 15 to parallel, 1 x 2 explosive closes;

IM#1 rep work to end.

Wanted to do more this session and do some sledgehammer work, but a buddy of mine payed me a visit and brought me 3 DVD's of Spartacus season 2 and 3! YEAH

Edited by Geralt

Great stuff Geralt! Keep working hard buddy. Wheres my #3 CCS video. I want to see it man. Get it on video for me!

I will do that buddy, but as where you are rising in strength now, I see myself faced with a lot of other things lately in daily life, which takes the sharpness off my training a bit. I am in no hurry, but when I am going to do attempts now that I fail, that's not good for my motivation. Anyway, I'll be posting soon.

Tonight some squats and shoulderwork, I figured a way to do shoulderpresses whithout my shoulder hurting, so that's a good thing.

Grip, pretty much the same as last time, choked L17 on Vulcan, MMS#3 and MM2 replica closes. I need to do some more rep work

and start widening those sets up.

Hey dude. I just wanted to say I hope everything is good. I was trying to motivate you and didn't mean to pressure you in anyway. I wish you all the best my friend and I hope everything turns out great for you.

Hey buddy, oh no haha this sounded more dramaticaly than it actualy is, but life is very busy for me at this moment with daily and work. I have to concentrate on staying focused on the target. At one point I started to focus in training on overall body development, for getting a better figure and that took my eye of the goal. I just can't put my energy in all things at once. And that pressure you are

talking about is not pressure for me but very good motivation Chez, you keep me motivated and I appreciate that very much! If it wasn't for the gripboard or the Horne forum it would have been difficult to keep myself sharp.

I just don't have the consistency in gripperwork that you do strengthwise, one day I'm closing hardgrippers very easy and the other day I'm just a wet noodle in the close.