Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Been fumbling around a while while my back hurted. Seen my physical therapist today and she 'popped' my back, damn! Feeling a LOT better already! In about two weeks I'm going on vacation for two weeks, Till then I just rest and won't do any heavy lifting, after that I'll start again.

Been thinking a lot lately on how much I want to do a #3 cert. And the outcome is I WANT to do it. So. Last year I trained a lot, but also did a lot of overall body training. And although I'm seeing results in overall body composition, my grip is NOT where it should be. I've got the tools, but I need to hold back in other departments. I want to use my gripmachines more in my quest, since they are just plain fun to use, and ofcourse, start lifting with my new thickbar. I'm going to work on my SW first for two weeks, I'm going to take my Vulcan with me on holidays, nothing further. After I'll do a cycle 4 - 6 of the SW / gripmachine plateloader, after that a nice deload with dynamic effort. I think it will come together now.

Today.

Warmup: 2 x 5 TNS filed IM#1 speedcloses;

Working: Homemade special weapon (photo under 'my tools' in the signature):

10 singles with 5 minutes in between: L 12 kg, R 15 kg. The tophandle is filed BTR, this felt intense, but didn't wreck my hands. It just felt hard and good. Holds for a 10 count.

Leverwork afterwards. Friday I did wristcurls and my lowerarms still felt that a bit.

When your hands feel really good after using the Secret Weapon (almost like you could really crush a gripper), that's the feeling you wanna have, which means you're doing everything right on that machine, but that's how it worked for myself. On your next use of the Secret Weapon, if you can add just 2.5 lbs, 5 lbs (may seem out there right now), but if you can add just a little weight to each workload, you'll be amazed and surprised how quick things can go up with that machine.

(Here's a little tip to also remember when you're done. If it feels like the skin in your palms are going to rip on your next single, you may only have one more rep in you with both hands; once you have that sensation of the skin (feeling) like it could rip you're done for the day on that machine.)

Thank you John for your input. Appreciate it! Like I said, I had some contact a while ago with some other guys who contributed their progress to gripmachines because of the small increment possibilities for adding weight and the adjustable handlength. I really see the benefits of those machines, but to find the right method to work with them costs time. I can use all the input I can get.

The long lever handle on the fingerside makes so much difference in adding weight! The weights you were using, when I would put that on my handle, I would need to have Godzilla claws!

Workout July 11th.

Warmup:

TNS light gripper.

Working:

SW, L13 kg R 16 kg. 9 singles, there wasn't more. quick 10 second holds, very though to psych up before every crush!

Ended with leverwork, dumbell loaded with 5 kg plate at one side, towel wrapped around the handle.

This morning in between work around the house, didn't have much time to train, so I crammed this one in.

Warmup:

TNS light gripper.

Working:

SW, L14 kg R 17 kg. 8 singles 10 second holds, again, very though to psych up before every crush!

No time for other lever work, monday new trainingsession.

Warmup:

TNS light gripper.

Working:

SW, L15 kg R 18 kg. 7 singles around 8 second holds, the weight, especially right, is getting meaner! This device costs a lot of effort in squeezing...if the mind is not focussed, you can immediately feel the handles starting to open.

1 x 5 MMS filed IM#2.5 (cost a lot of effort seeing the pre mentioned SW work);

1 x 3 Samo setting.

Ready for this part.

Tonight normal workout, I'll do some wristwork then. Got my back 'popped' again by my physical therapist. It's getting better now, but still no lifting to be done. 2 SW workouts to be done, after that I'm off to France for the holidays...taking some grippers with me tough... :)

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Last griptraining tonight, did other training earlier this week.

After warmup:

SW L 16 kg, R 19kg.

Did a lot of other work today so I was a bit tired. 'quickly' doing a gripworkout with the SW is a no-no...I can notice that

immediately. However, I managed to cram out 7 quality singles.

Plateloader: 3 x 5 80 kg, 'tns' widht.

That's it, arms and tendons are getting a bit sore, so good time for vacation. Leaving for France tomorrow, only taking my pushup stands and some grippers with me. My back is feeling better, so hope to start lifting again with thickbar after this welcome break with the wife and kids.

Edited by Geralt

After warmup:

SW L 16 kg, R 19kg.

Did a lot of other work today so I was a bit tired. 'quickly' doing a gripworkout with the SW is a no-no...I can notice that

That's it, arms and tendons are getting a bit sore, so good time for vacation. Leaving for France tomorrow, only taking my pushup stands and some grippers with me. My back is feeling better, so hope to start lifting again with thickbar after this welcome break with the wife and kids.

. Is SW helping your grip? I'm thinking of investing in 1 in the future? Enjoy the well deserved vacation and come back well rested

After warmup:

SW L 16 kg, R 19kg.

. Is SW helping your grip? I'm thinking of investing in 1 in the future? Enjoy the well deserved vacation and come back well rested

Hi Bigs, will do! About the SW, I never used it the way I'm doing it now. I started two weeks ago so I only did four or five sessions. I took my Vulcan with me, but I planned on doing absolutely nothing the first week. So after my vacation I'll do a complete cycle. Maybe four weeks on, two weeks off. Something like that. The off weeks will have gripper training. The 'on' weeks SW and gripmachine.

Warmup:

Pushing buggy up agains hill to old chateau.

Working set:

Buggy pushes around chateau at about 32 degrees Celsius;

Cooling down:

Jumping into swimming pool at the camping.

Change of workout = good :)

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Short vacation workout in the tent, don't want to draw attention to my 'silly trainingstuff'. Had some trouble getting into the right intensity

after three hot days and after my last training on the 19th.

Warming up

Filed IM#1 MMS 1 x 5 speedcloses;

Filed IM#2 TNS 1 x 1;

Working

IM#3.5 MMS 1 x 1 missed by a few mm;

MM2 replica MMS 3 x 1 singles closed;

Vulcan level 14 1 x 3 MMS reps closes ®

Vulcan level 12 1 x 4 MMS reps closes (l);

Vulcan repwork on lower levels both hands.

Workout felt ok, maybe a lighter repworkout this vacation, and than hitting it hard again with the SW when I get home.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Getting close with a #3.5 is great. I still haven't closed mine which is rated at almost 180. Enjoy your vacation.

Getting close with a #3.5 is great. I still haven't closed mine which is rated at almost 180. Enjoy your vacation.

Thnx Cesare, I also was pleasently surprised. I think all in all when upping my gripstrength, I need a lot of rest. But I also want to

do other training and I think it enlarges my recoverytime. But my #3.5 still is a brick in the last part! I'm thinking of purchasing a good in between gripper...

between MM2 and IM#3.5...maybe that helps.

Warmup:

Pushing buggy up agains hill to old chateau.

Working set:

Buggy pushes around chateau at about 32 degrees Celsius;

Cooling down:

Jumping into swimming pool at the camping.

Change of workout = good :)

Cool family pic and nice vacation ya got going on there. I read your getting close on your #3.5...keep doing what you do

• Like 1

Short grippertraining tonight...

After warmup, working sets:

The 'heaviest' of my two IM#3's choked to parallel: 4 x 1, all as explosive as possible closed and holds;

IM#2.5 (filed) right hand 2 x 1 TNS, 1 closed, 2nd missed by a hair;

L same gripper only MMS closes;

After that a bit of rep work with my filed IM#2.

Bought a rubber band today in the local Intersport, most heavy resistance. Made a loop, put my hand through one side, seated down and placed my foot on the other side and did some resistance work for my wrists curls and reverse curls. Works quite good!

Last one here in France, after this weekend I'll resume SW training again! And hope my BBE will arrive from Cannon Powerworks.

Back home!

Easing into gripwork, later this day I'll do some overall strengthtraining.

Special weapon after warming up:

L 8 x 15 kg, R 8 x 18 kg holds.

Filed IM#2 MMS L 1 x 9 speedreps; R 1 x 18 speedreps.

ending with rubberband stretching for the wrists.

Back home!

Looking good man.

• Like 1

Back home!

Couldn't edit anymore...

This afternoon first training...felt a bit rusty after 2 weeks. What are two weeks...pfff gains definitely disappear faster than they are achieved..

Squats, felt my back a bit, so kept it light and more reps: 1 x 10 bar only, 1 x 10 50 kg, 2 x 10 70 kg, 1 x 10 60 kg;

Bench: 1 x 10 50 kg, 1 x 10 70 kg, 1 x 8 95 kg, 1 x 7 95 kg;

Dips: 1 x 8 bw, 1 x 6 bw+20kg, 1 x 5 bw+20kg, 1 x 5 bw+10 kg;

Ab wheel 3 x 5 on my knees, this exc. needs to be executed right otherwise I feel my back immediately. Fortunately my abs are strong enough to keep the form right. Hope I'll get back to were I was before my back started playing up;

Leg raises 3 x 10.

Enough for today.

Not on my topstrength today.

After warming up:

SW L 5 x 17 kg 5 secs, R 5 x 20 kg 5 sec holds. Felt very taxing;

IM#3.5 (choked) forced closed and holds x 2;

IM#3 (choked) speedclose x 1, second was to slow;

Filed IM#2.5 reps ending, got about 7 good reps. Not bad considering my hands were pretty much toasted.

Made a video of that, next time I'm shooting for IM#3 reps when fresh and see how I improved.

Don't mind the screaming in the background btw, my youngest daughter got stuck with her bicycle wheel in the gutter :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-PhPhGOuro

Got my BBE yesterday, soon I will be doing my first attempts on that one.

• Like 2

Great work dude. Get a video of your Elite attempt. Keep working hard.

Superb crushing strenght you got!

But I think you should oil that CoC Gripper, it screams for it :D

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun
  • Like 1

SW L18 kg R21 kg 5 x 1 between 4 - 6 seconds, load is getting more stressful on the wrists also.

IM#2 (filed) MMS speedreps 1 x 15R 1 x 10L

That's it, did this between work around the house. Tonight I hope to hit thickbar DL for the first time, my back feels ok at this point to

start with this.

Tonight DO thickbarwork (2 inch, homemade).It's a altered bar for 30 mm plates and weighs about 15 kg's (33 lbs).

Did to much work today, so my energy level was very low. Still had to try and see if it wasn't only a mental thing.

after warmingup:

5 x 55 kg (40 kg plus bar)

5 x 95 kg (when lowering the bar for the fourth rep I lost my form a bit and immediatly felt my back)

This made me a bit nervous in upping the weight.

another 5 x 95 kg, this went ok, tensioning my core really works;

1 x 115 kg, this was my max for now, my grip wasn't that taxed at all, but my body has to get in sync with doing the deadlift movement again.

2 x 95 again.

1 x 5 ab wheel, that was it. Bit pissed about my back, but it will get better. going to concentrate on my core and form.

Today SW session. Hands were not completely recovered, so upping to 22 kg R was not possible, the handle just opened immediately. So I dropped back 1 kg. After three reps I just felt this was not going to be the best SW session.

Switched to:

2 x IM#3.5 choked, missed both, forced closed from there and tried to hold on;

1 x choked level 17 Vulcan, missed by a hair, forced closed and held closed;

1 x choked level 16 Vulcan, close/not closed, couldn't see, if it wasn't it was less than a mm I guess.

Did this between bench and triceps. Ended with some ab work.

Workout in precinct.

* DO Deadlifts, second attempt, felt good! Finally. Used a belt after some lighter rep work, focus on form.

Ended with 150 kg. This will get better ofcourse. Next session deadlifts at home with thickbar again. Glad with

this.

* 3 x 5 BW chins;

* 3 x 8 Seated rows, again very strict form;

* 2 x 10 hammercurls, used lighter weight because I can feel my lower arms a bit because of the SW work;

* 3 x 8 Bicepcurls on machine.

Abs in between, decline bench sit-ups with medicineball.

Very hot, nice and sweaty workout.

Edited by Geralt

Workout in precinct.

* DO Deadlifts, second attempt, felt good! Finally. Used a belt after some lighter rep work, focus on form.

Ended with 150 kg. This will get better ofcourse. Next session deadlifts at home with thickbar again. Glad with

this.

* 3 x 5 BW chins;

* 3 x 8 Seated rows, again very strict form;

* 2 x 10 hammercurls, used lighter weight because I can feel my lower arms a bit because of the SW work;

* 3 x 8 Bicepcurls on machine.

Abs in between, decline bench sit-ups with medicineball.

Very hot, nice and sweaty workout.

Also tonight when I got home:

Wristwork with rubberband;

1 x 5 TNS IM#1 (filed);

2 x 10 MMS IM#2 (filed);

3 x 3 TNS speedreps IM#1, as explosive as possible.

That's it.

Tonight grip and squats.

Squats lower weight, higher reps, because of my back. Reps are painless, so that is very good. My back is healing up fine.

Besides that, shoulders, shoulderstretches with rubber band, weighted crunches (no, don't hurt my lower back) and leg raises. In between grip.

My right elbow is feeling a bit thick, I know for sure because of the SW holds, so time to hold back a while with those. I'm going to switch to dynamic effort work next week. After warmup tonight:

3 x 1 choked closes with my 169 lbs rated BBE (rated by Cannon Powerworks). All closed, this felt good. Specially since I'm not fully recoverd, so I must be getting stronger. After the first close I took my camera and filmed the second attempt. I try to do my choked closes as explosive as possible, so I put a LOT of effort in them.

http://youtu.be/M8NLNuyqpkM

1 x 1 Choked closes Vulcan level 18, missed a few mm;

1 x 1 20 mm blockset level 15, closed.

Those are the highlights.

Glad with my small progress from here, slowly taking it further.

Edited by Geralt