Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

It looks like you are mixing it up with your 90% 70% etc. Good Idea. Ill stick with what I am doing (TSG only) but will mix it up next round.

Good work and glad you are back at squating.

Thanks man. Appreciate it. What do you mean with mixing it up? Using the Vulcan for that? Or the choked MM2 replica? I use the idea as a base but want to keep also my own touch with it. I just felt strong and my choked mm2 replica also didn't feel as a max. So if I can take it a bit further I certainly do that.

It looks like you are mixing it up with your 90% 70% etc. Good Idea. Ill stick with what I am doing (TSG only) but will mix it up next round.

Thanks man. Appreciate it. What do you mean with mixing it up? Using the Vulcan for that? Or the choked MM2 replica? I use the idea as a base but want to keep also my own touch with it. I just felt strong and my choked mm2 replica also didn't feel as a max. So if I can take it a bit further I certainly do that.

I meant using different types of grippers in each phase of the program. I have only one gripper as a 90% on e as a 75% etc. You are using different grippers or am I just reading your posts wrong?

Either way I think I will “MIX IT UP” on my next go around.

I meant using different types of grippers in each phase of the program. I have only one gripper as a 90% on e as a 75% etc. You are using different grippers or am I just reading your posts wrong?

Either way I think I will “MIX IT UP” on my next go around.

No, you read it right my friend, yes using different grippers. Vulcan for the progress, the TSG for measuring the progress. My tsg closing ability is so different day by day I find it hard to feel which gripper is 75% and so on. I 'only' have the IM 1,2,2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, MM2 replica from Hubgeezer (which would be a bit under 165 lbs I understood) and a Vulcan.

If this goes well and my other weighttraining goes well, I will start using my gripmachine again for a week or two, very heavy, and than fall back to this program again. For now, I am discarding any negative work.

Edited by Geralt

Yesterday evening 50% session.

These are not the most interesting sessions for a write up.

I did R Vulcan level 8, 5 sets of 3 reps, as explosive as possible, L level 7.

This with leverwork with my dumbbell with now 3 kg's attached to one side. Movement in all directions.

Repwork with thumbscrews on IM#1.

Touch of myself: 5 x 1 L and R holding my IM#1 on the spring with one hand, than concentrating and grabbing the gripper as fast as possible with the other

hand and immediately closing it. This sometimes causes the most awkward hand positioning, which I think can be beneficial.

The idea however is based on John Brookfield's 'gripper on a string'.

Intensity is high as I try to picture that I'm closing my goal gripper.

Wednesday the same session.

Wednesday 23-11 about the same as last session, 50%.

Tonight 25-11 70% session:

some military pressing, pulling work (light) and squats, careful because of healing up.

Grip went G R E A T .

Warmup x 20 reps with crappy sportsgripper for blood flowing;

I already felt that my hands were in pretty good shape compared to the last WEEKS.

Vulcan reps with as much speed as possible around 20 mm set, certainly not smaller:

R:

3 x level 12: good

3 x level 12: good

4 x level 13: good

3 x level 14: good

L:

3 x level 8: good

3 x level 9: good

3 x level 10: good

3 x level 11: good

L and R: IM#2 (filed) MMS 1 x 5 speedreps put in a LOT of effort on the speed;

1 x 10 speedreps.

Combined with dumbbel loaded on one side 3 kg's, leverwork in all directions;

Thumbscrews mounted on IM#1.

Next week again 3 sessions: 2 x 50% 1 x 70%.

Was looking back at this year, had a lot of throwback with injuries, but seeing last session, level 14 went easy for 3 reps, I figure level 16 should be very much possible in about two weeks. Maybe next week already, but I stick to the program. Would be nice to start 2012 from level 16 - 17 and beyond. Would be a good base to finaly kill my #3 CCS.

Edited by Geralt

Monday 28-11 no training, had other things to attend to....

Tuesday 29-11 Trained grip around 50-60%

Squats, pushups, triceps (Skull crushers with EZ bar around 35-40 kg, 5 x 5) light pullup work

Grip: 5 x 3 speed reps MMS Vulcan level 9 - 10 High intensity.

1 x 5 Speed reps MMS IM#2 (filed)

5 x singles IM#1 TNS as explosive as possible gripwork.

Light leverwork after that and extensor work, ended with thumbscrews.

This evening normal light weighttraining. I was late and most energy was gone..so after squats grip:

70%

Vulcan level 12 MMS 1 x 3 reps;

Vulcan level 14 MMS 1 x 3 reps;

Vulcan level 14 MMS 1 x 2 reps, had some problems with the set, my setting hand slipped so the Vulcan slipped back...;

Vulcan level 13 MMS 1 x 3 reps;

IM #2.5 (filed) MMS 1 x 4 reps, high speed;

IM #2 (filed) MMS 1 x 10 reps, high speed;

IM #1 (filed) TNS 1 x 5 as fast as possible closes.

(all in all a little bit higher than 70% I guess)

Felt good, was a bit pissed because of the slipping Vulcan, my setting hand felt a bit weak.

After that I did some bicep work and completely forgot to work my wrists. Next time leverwork again. Because

of the setting problems no thumbwork. Next week a recovery week. I know for sure Vulcan level 16 will fall, maybe

level 17 in two weeks? I hope so! We'll see.

Edited by Geralt

Level 16 would be freaking awesome. I'm taking time off from the vulcan since the only comp that uses it is the WSH which is far away. All TSG for me right now.

Level 16 would be freaking awesome. I'm taking time off from the vulcan since the only comp that uses it is the WSH which is far away. All TSG for me right now.

Hm hm. Let's hope so, I figured if I can rep level 14, 16 for one rep max should quite nearby, wouldn't it...dmaybe 17? I just see how I will feel on my max day attempt. Trying to film it also.

I choose the Vulcan for most of this work because it can be easy set at any desired resistance...thus working more efficiently in percentages of my 1RM. And the spread is bigger as you know, so I know there will be one-o-one carryover results.

Edited by Geralt

Tonight 50-60%.

Vulcan level 9, 4 x 3 speed reps, had to fire up a bit, felt a bit rusty.

IM #2 MMS filed 2 x 5 speed reps and overcrush;

IM #1 TNS 5 singles as fast and 'overcrushed' as possible.

Shoulder work besides that and for the first time in months deadlifts, 4 x 10 80 kgs (177 lbs) for starters.

Pumped up my heartbeat quite a bit! But no pain, let's see how that feels tomorrow. Weight will come.

No special or heavy things this week, grip around this level this week. Next week I'll give level 15/16 a try.

Yesterday no time for weighttraining, just did some gripperwork while showering my daughters and in between daily chores :chris:

50 % greasing the groove, nothing special, Vulcan 4 x 4 level 9 - 10 Vulcan gold spring,

IM#2.5 MMS (filed) 1 x 3 as fast as possible (higher than 50% btw but felt good)

IM#1 (filed) TNS speedcloses

Vulcan level 9 deep setted 12 click reps, short range.

All in all, missed the grease a bit to groove. A bit busy lately. I can notice that in training in the evening.

- end -

Edited by Geralt

Tonight pretty much the same. Had a pretty intense total workout....but grip around 50% as scheduled.

50%

Vulcan level 9 1 x 3 MMS speed reps;

Vulcan level 10 1 x 4 MMS speed reps;

Vulcan level 12 1 x 3 MMS speed reps;

IM#2.5 filed MMS 1 x 3 tried to let them click, a bit difficult with a filed one;

IM#1 filed TNS closes x 5, hanging the gripper on a wire and then grabbing as fast and explosive as possible.

For the rest bench, squats and abs with a bit isolation work.

Nothing special but it felt good, no problems with healing up so far .

Edited by Geralt

Tonight a very rewarding after the first cycle that Tim Struse also used. Thanks Tim!

After 5 weeks today test day. Decided not to 'overmax' it since I have two more sessions to go this week, although lighter in intensity.

One thing: sorry about filming: I have my camera at work so I had to take some shots with my mobile. A very small lens, so the setting is out of picture, I set the Vulcan against my leg a bit, have to work on that obviously.

highlights:

Vulcan level 16 (gold spring) a bit smaller than MMS because my hand slipped: Closed! = PR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NUu0kHJ9b0 (again, filming is crap)

IM#3 deep set, closed.

Vulcan level 15 (gold spring) 4 minireps (5 missed by a hair) = PR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E8BLlxowb0

Vulcan level 14 and 12, also nice repwork.

IM#2.5 (filed) 5 mms reps;

IM#1 (filed) 10 x TNS speedwork.

Together with squats, triceps and some light ab work.

The end of this cycle is very rewarding, I didn't expect HUGE jumps but repping level 15 was great! Normally I would have gotten maybe just ONE rep

from deep set on a very good day, so there is DEFINITELY strength increase. Now to figure out how to take it to the next level.

16 at least 4 minireps at the end of next cycle!

Edited by Geralt

Hell ya, great work!

Thanks Cesare! I want to be able to do the same but with level 17, that´s my middelterm goal.

In between I´m going to do some more effort in this cycle, setting up my new working level in percentages for the Vulcan.

Going to do some gripmachine work also again...don´t know how to incorporate that...wanted to order a rolling handle but seeing this was

a bit expensive month I´m going to delay that :( .

Yesterday evening: trained at the precinct.

Squats 5 x 5 90 kg, felt very heavy because of muscle soreness..pfff have a lot work to do there...

lots of other stuff, abs, shoulderpress etc.

Grip:

Recovery.

Vulcan level 10, 9, 4 x 5 reps, speed reps, but the speed just wasn´t there that much..

1 x 10 reps as fast as possible level 9.

That´s it.

Had a good laugh, a guy was training there and saw me working the Vulcan. He asked what it was and I gave him the gripper, set the spring on the lowest level.

He just couldn´t budge it although he had normal or above average arms :) Sometimes we forget that we can close quite big grippers compared to most people.

Funny to see.

Another good session this morning. Had to cram in a training, just finished. Felt good!

I've started with taking a creatine supplement, a bit for recovery. I do a loading phase and after that maintenance.

Don't know if it works.

warmup (grip), squats, bench and abs, but main focus on grip:

Vulcan level 12 1 x 20 mm block set: Closed;

Vulcan level 15 1 x 20 mm block set : Closed;

Choked MM2 replica: Closed! (but just, not dominated, but it was closed)

Choked IM#3 (wider than parallel): slipped a bit, missed by just a hair, the edge was gone I guess, but I think it was the set;

Vulcan level 14 5 x 20 mm block set closes;

IM#2.5 (filed and choked) 1 x 5 explosive closes;

IM#2 (filed) 1 x 15 20 mm block set;

IM#2 (filed) 1 x 10 20 mm block set.

IM#2 TNS 1 x 5 closes.

This one felt good also and I don't have the feeling I burned all of the gas, so that's good.

Next I'm starting my recovery cycle with building up again.

Edited by Geralt

Today start of new cycle. Referencepoint is level 18 Vulcan as 1RM (used this calibration as starting point: Level 18 / 75 kg / 165,56 lbs / rating = 3,26)

3 x 4 level 12 Vulcan gold spring (around 70%)

1 x 4 choked IM#2.5 (filed)

Besides that upper back work, squats and abs.

Yesterday December 21th.

Trained at the precinct.

Squats, 5 x 5 normal intensity about 85%

Max. speed benchpressing in squatcage, nice for a change.

Machine press incline and decline

Tricep pushdowns

Abs, leg raises and sit ups on decline bench.

Grip

Vulcan gold spring, light session, greasing the groove.

4 x 3 level 10

1 x 4 level 6 TNS speedcloses.

Speedcloses with the Vulcan are very much different than with TSG's, the tension in the beginning is the same as in the close, so with a TSG there can be made much more speed

in the beginning of the set. I'm going try to work solely on the Vulcan and do some max work on choked grippers with that. For the rest, just following the cycle.

This afternoon training at home.

Pecs stills sore from last session...today gripsession first, according to cycle 90% - 70%. Session ended up a bit higher, but I didn't burn myself completely up..

good one in fact!

Total session: Squats, deadlifts (up to 150kg, taking it 'easy' because of my recovery), bw pullups, lat pulldowns and some bicep isolation because I felt like doing that :)

Oh and abs.

GRIP (Vulcan batch 7 gold spring)

Vulcan level 12 20 mm block set, closed;

Vulcan level 14 20 mm block set, closed;

Vulcan MMS level 17, missed by a hair!

Vulcan MMS level 16 closed, but just!

Vulcan level 15 20 mm block set, solid close, although strength was depleting;

MMS level 14, 4 reps;

MMS level 12 5 reps, tried to speed those up;

IM#2.5 (filed, without choker) MMS 1 x 3 as fast as possible (which wasn't very fast anymore)

IM#2 5 x 1 TNS speedclose, HIGH intensity.

Thumbwork with thumbscrews on IM#1, can't get it closed though, so partial reps on that one.

All in all good session! Jump from level 15 to 16/17 feels HUGE.

That's it, no training anymore till after christmas which will be tuesday.

Merry christmas guys.....

Edited by Geralt

No training other than grippers at the kitchentable :santa:

warming up: couple of TNS speedcloses IM#1.

Working 90%

Vulcan batch 7 Gold spring

level 15 20mm block set: closed;

level 16 choked, handles parallel, focus on closing with overcrush, 3 x 1: closed;

Working 75%

level 13 MMS speed closes 2 x 4 closed;

(level 13 MMS left hand closed, glad with that one, lefty is making progress)

IM#2 (filed) 5 x 1 TNS speedcloses with overcrush;

IM#1 (filed) 10 x TNS speedcloses with overcrush;

Leverwork all directions with dumbell loaded with 3 kg on one side, holding dumbell on the outer end;

Fingerwalking big wooden hammer, pulling it up from the ground;

Thumbscrews on IM#1, partial reps, can't get it closed.

Hands are toast.

Edited by Geralt

Today no grip, overall strength training because of christmas the day before.

trained in precinct.

Squats 5 x 5, Benchwork in squatcage (max pressing 5 x 5), incline/decline machine benchpress, seated machine row and pullups/bicepwork.

Tomorrow grip greasing the groove, recovery at 50%.

Yesterday light and short gripsession, greasing the groove.

Warmup TNS explosive filed IM#1: 1 x 5

Working MMS speedcloses filed IM#2: 4 x 3

Couple of speedcloses IM#1 TNS.

Arms still sore from yesterdays weighttraining, tomorrow training at the precinct again, last session in 2011.

Think I´ll do one more 90% gripsession friday or saturday, next week recovery week with grip. Trying to hit solid close on level 17 on my Vulcan.

Edited by Geralt

Tuesday december 28th regular weighttraining at precinct.

Today: gripsession '90% - 70%'

(after warmup speed TNS filed IM#1)

Vulcan gold spring

90% part

Level 17 (choked) missed by a hair (this was over 90% ofcourse, but had to try, hands felt a bit weak at the start)

Level 16 (bit smaller than MMS): 2 x 1 closed;

Level 15 (MMS) : 2 x 3 closed;

Level 14 (MMS) : 2 x 3 closed, tried to widen up the sweep with each close;

70% part

Level 12 (MMS): 3 x 3 tried to speedclose those;

IM#2 filed (MMS): 1 x 3 speedcloses;

Ended with IM#1 (filed) speedcloses 5 x 1 TNS and over crush CRUSH CRUSH

Thumbscrews couple of singles.

Yesterday afternoon light gripsession together with some squats and pullups and light bench, left shoulder is a bit sore. Damn.

Grip after warming up:

50% (greasing the groove)

Vulcan level 9 3 x 3 speedcloses MMS;

IM #2 (filed) 1 x 3 speedcloses MMS;

IM #1 (filed) 1 x 15 CCS speedcloses, pumped my arm quite a bit!

that's it, wednesday next one, also 50%.