Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

My first decent workout in a few days.

Some benchpressing and triceps, abs along the way. Easter's comming up! So a nice long weekend with the family.

Grip:

Actually two workouts. This morning between entertaining the kids and doing some work around the house some heavy gripper attempts but my hands felt like crap;

This evening:

4 x 1 CCS #3 attempt, 1 good close, the rest missed;

1 x 1 MM2 replica MMS closed in between;

Some holds with choked Vulcan level 18 (forced closed and held closed as long as possible)

I have a hard time getting some consistancy in my strengthlevel. My allround strengthlevel is getting better however.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted...to be honoust, had some trouble with motivation. Frankly I was doing pretty much the same with grip every session and grippers started to get boring, adding the small or no results I was getting, it came to a point where I just got bored of the whole thing. One time I could close the #3 CCS, next time I had a hard time getting it on cam and barely got past parallel! WTF was happening? My other 'normal' training took the overhand...and there you have it, the first gripdip since I began training. I'm figuring out what I want and how I want it. I'll be starting up fresh soon again. I'll just have to recalibrate my training. Sometimes it's good to take some time off and than start it up again. By the way a consistant CCS will be my primary goal in terms of grip.

Just to let you guys know...

I was wondering what happened to you. I branched out to the other areas of grip to keep things interesting. I use certs to keep me motivated. You sing up for the MM1. That will get the adrenaline pumping.

• Like 1

I just needed a little time off Chez, I was very happy to see you get that cert! The same time I was very busy with work and things in personal life etc. The time I had for training was going in overall body training. I'm interested in MM certings but for me overseas it's a bit expensive etc. I know I have a good chance at the MM2 since I can close my MM2 replica fairly 'easy' mostly. After my IM cert, which I hope will come sometime, I'll maybe target the MM grippers.

I find my basic lifts not good to say the least for my size (1,96 mtr / 100 kg bodyweight). Btw these are my stats now with regular lifting, I also need to improve a lot here. It will come however.

Bench: 264 lbs 1rm

Deadlift: 385 lbs 1rm (yeah I know :laugh:( )

Squat: 297 lbs 1 rm (also 'yeah I know' :laugh )

Took my grippers for the first time again since 6 april. Just going with the flow now and train depending how I feel.

Warming up

filed IM#1 1 x 3 TNS

filed IM#2 2 x 2 TNS

filed IM#2.5 1 x 1 MMS

Working

Vulcan level 9 1 x 3 MMS

Vulcan level 12 1 x 3 MMS(man, when you've not touched the Vulcan in a while, the set is really heavy in the beginning!)

Vulcan level 14 1 x 3 MMS

IM#3 CCS 1 missed by quite a bit, forced it closed. The set was the problem. Oh well...

Vulcan level 15 1 x 3 MMS

Vulcan level 16 2 x 1 MMS both missed the last mm

Vulcan level 17 1 x 1 MMS missed, ofcourse, but forced it closed and held it closed for a few good seconds.

FIled IM#1 1 x 25

My left hand is off by miles btw. Vulcan Level 13 MMS / filed IM#2.5 MMS is the highest I can get off hand. I'm going to try to crank out as much TNS reps with my filed IM#2 as possible for a while with my lefty.

All in all not that bad for starters again but I have my work cut out for me.

thnx for reading guys.

Edited by Geralt

Deadlifts 170 kg.

Weighted pullups and chinups

Lat pulldowns

Biceps

Abs

one pressing routine of shoulderpress, incline bench and decline bench till failure on machines.

GRIP

Hands were pretty wasted, but took my Vulcan to the precinct with me. Greased the groove.

Level 3 1 x 10 mms;

Level 9 1 x 5 mms;

level 12 1 x 4 mms;

level 14 1 x 1 mms;

Level 5 1 x 15 mms.

Thinking about doing thickbar work. going to make one myself I think. See how I can incorporate that without killing my gripperwork.

Bench, Tri's and abs.

Grip after warmup:

IM#3 : 6 x 1 MMS closed;

Choked Vulcan level 15: 2 x 2 explosive reps;

Filed IM#2 : 1 x 15 MMS.

Edited by Geralt

• 2 weeks later...

Squats and shoulders;

After warmup in between with grip:

IM#3.5 deep set : missed, forced closed and held shut;

Choked at parallel Vulcan level 17: 5 x 1 closed;

Vulcan level 16 MMS : 1 x 1 closed (but just);

Vulcan level 15 MMS : 1 x 1 closed;

Vulcan level 14 MMS : 1 x 2 closes;

IM#2 filed : 2 x1 explosive TNS

IM#1 filed : 1 x 10 explosive closes TNS.

• 2 weeks later...

Still here :sleeping:

Working on my deadlift (shortterm goal 450 lbs, I sucked at deadlifting so I need to improve that) and other overall bodystrenght to come back stronger with grip. Today (besides painting my roof) I did some #3 MMS closes, MM2 closes MMS, a few lifts with my homemade PVC 'fatbar' dumbell (ended with max 56 kg'd app one hand lift) and ending with 4 x 5 reps with my plateloader set a MMS depth (85 kg's).

Fatbar work feels good to do, I'll be doing some more versatile work other than grippers. Been doing to that too long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

...Been training around my grip lately and decided it's time to rack it up again. I did not train grip with any plan the last period so I decided to start again all over. Starting as from now. Maybe not the right time, since vacation will be there in one and a half month and I still have a lot of work to be done in and around work and private life. But there's always something, isn't there. I noticed some strength loss, but it will come. I'm still in a deadlift routine so I'm also going on how I feel per day.

Tonight grip only first time in a while.

Warm up (only right noted here, left is a bit behind but it will get the same eventually)

Vulcan level 3 (1-1) 1 (set) x 3 (reps) MMS;

Vulcan level 9 (3-3) 1 x 3 MMS;

Vulcan level 12 (4-4) 1 x 2 MMS.

Working

MM2 replica (estimated around 163 lbs by Hubgeezer) MMS closed 1 x 1;

Vulcan level 16 choked parallel, explosive as possible close 2 x 1;

IM#3 MMS, closed, but just, 1 x 1;

Vulcan level 12 1 x 3 'speedreps' (speeding as a turtle though, speed will come back however :) )

Filed IM#2 1 x 5 'speedreps';

Filed IM#1 1 x 10 TNS.

Thumbscrews on sportsgripper, 3 x 10 in between working sets.

Put a chain through a thick pvc pipe and did some pulls with this set up but didn't like that. I'm going to make a rolling thunder for myself, a good one, or a good thick bar, Parris gave me some good tips for that.

For gripper I'm going to follow Time Struse's dynamic training method. Worked before, just have to hang on with it.

Edited by Geralt

It's good your getting back into it. I thought you would have made the thick bar by now.

I still want to make a good thickbar Rico, only thing is I saw my friendly neighbour building a huge crane recently which he welded and assembled it by himself, he also fumbled a great trailer for that thing from a few bars and wheels......so I was thinking of maybe asking

him to make me a custom thickbar. Just waiting till the time is ripe and he has some more time on his hands ;)

Yesterday grip in between some more painting and helping move my parents in law to my town. Yes. I am very friendly and helpful. :flowers:

After warm up:

IM#3 choked 2 x 1 mashed;

Vulcan level 15 20 mm block set 2 x 1

Vulcan level 14 20 mm block set 2 x 2

Filed IM#2 3 x 3 MMS 'speedreps'.

3 x 10 Thumbscrews on sportsgripper in between sets .

The day before yesterday benchsession, repwork with 95 kg (around 210 lbs). Going for the pumps.

Bought an ab wheel by the way, cheap and works great. Have to toughen up my abs. It IS summer ofcourse :)

Saturday I've planned a deadlift session.

Edited by Geralt

Trained in the precinct. Shoulders, rows, biceps and grip.

IM#1 2 x 3 MMS;

IM#2 1 x 3 MMS;

IM#3 3 x 1 MMS;

IM#3 forced closed and hold;

IM#2 1 x 8 MMS.

Nothing special, didn't take a lot of grippers with me, but the #3 felt heavy tonight.

ended with abs (ab wheel).

Yesterday evening grip with bench and tri's. Busy with work this week, tomorrow new session.

Working set

Vulcan level 16 1 x 1 'deepish set';

IM#3 MMS 6 x 1 closed;

IM#3 holds after forcing closed.

Because of busy work etc. I'm not into the dynamic effort program at this moment. Will start this soon.

This week one medium session to go.

14-06-12

Also new gripsession only grippers...

Focussing on IM#3 closes and holds only. After warmup ofcourse. Did 10 singles or so. Didn't get the last closes, so I forced them in.

Turning them into holds. Not working with dynamic effort at this point, I think I will start a cycle within a few weeks. Going for quantity in closes now.

15-06-12

Deadliftsession in the precinct...couldn't get the barbell off the floor at a certain point. Haven't been eating enough I think. Energylevel was low. Good armtraining though.

Light benchwork today and squats. Together with grip.

After warmup, worksets:

Grippers

IM#3 6 x 1 MMS (mostly wider than MMS btw), 4 closed, 2 almost and forced in. Focussed all closes in holds and trying to overcrush;

Plateloader

Very wide handsetting (hands almost stretched completely), both hands at the outer sides off the handle:

1 x 10 40 kg;

1 x 10 60 kg;

1 x 10 80 kg;

2 x 5 90 kg.

Very strict, no jerking with the arms and stuff to help the final part of the close. this is crushing at it's best for me.

Finished with Ab wheel roll-outs.

The idea is to do more workouts with my goalgripper. Always trained under the #3 or with heavier grippers.

Now aiming to do the most work with the #3 and crank the volume up a bit. My hands can handle this for now and since I can get it mostly closed/almost closed from a fairly wide set in more or less fatigued state, I figure when I completely let my hands rest, this will be beneficial for the CCS sooner or later.

Edited by Geralt

Light benchwork today and squats. Together with grip.

After warmup, worksets:

Grippers

IM#3 6 x 1 MMS (mostly wider than MMS btw), 4 closed, 2 almost and forced in. Focussed all closes in holds and trying to overcrush;

Plateloader

Very wide handsetting (hands almost stretched completely), both hands at the outer sides off the handle:

1 x 10 40 kg;

1 x 10 60 kg;

1 x 10 80 kg;

2 x 5 90 kg.

Very strict, no jerking with the arms and stuff to help the final part of the close. this is crushing at it's best for me.

Finished with Ab wheel roll-outs.

The idea is to do more workouts with my goalgripper. Always trained under the #3 or with heavier grippers.

Now aiming to do the most work with the #3 and crank the volume up a bit. My hands can handle this for now and since I can get it mostly closed/almost closed from a fairly wide set in more or less fatigued state, I figure when I completely let my hands rest, this will be beneficial for the CCS sooner or later.

Man hope you finally get that CCS # 3 done :laugh Keep going, rest and hard work such as yours such bring things to where you want them to be

Thnx BigT!

Yesterdayevening working sets:

#3.5 MMS 5 x 1 all missed, forced closed and holds, quite taxing.

Vulcan gold spring level 12 3 x 3 MMS;

IM#2.5 choked, 3 x 1 overcrushes.

Worked on partial deadlifts but they felt a bit awkward..crancked the weight up to high...and got a sore back pain on the right side of my lower back...damn..bending and kneeling hurts now...hope this is just a muscle that's causing the pain. No lifting the coming days. although squats went ok after this. It's primarily bending and pulling from the ground. :angry2: Damn.

Got a custommade Apollon's axle today! Very glad with this piece of equipment. My neightbour who is a welder (handyman), made this at my request. The idea is very simple, it's a heavy metal galvanized pipe, that slides over my shorter barbell for 30 mm plates.

It's locked on to it's place with 3 bolts at both ends of the pipe. It feels heavy and solid! Gonna have a lot of fun with this one!

Diameter is 50 mm (2 inches).

Photo's under my signature 'my tools' :)

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

very cool. Looks great!

June 25th:

Heavy session:

MMS work with #3.5, all attempts forced closed and squeezed for dear life, I will start using this gripper on a weekly basis till my vacation in three weeks.

Tonight:

Medium session (but still went further than I was supposed to...)

Work sets:

Vulcan: TNS from level 3 (1-1), than moving up one level to level 9 left and level 12 right (level 12 set a little

bit, but much further than CCS). All of this in one set, switching left to right continuously;

MMS level 12 1 x 3;

Filed IM#2.5 choked, 1 x 3.

Hands felt smoked already. Definitely not on topstrength.

I am very excited to start working with my thickbar, I've done armwork with it and it feels very nice! Deadlifts however are a no go since I injured my lower right back last wednesday...it started when doing deadlift partials with 190 kg, the pain suddenly came up when lowering the bar again, so it was a form issue I guess.

it hurts when doing lifts, getting up from sitting, etc...It also hurts when doing back squats, so I quit doing those tonight. Abs the same story, did some isometric holds with leg raises and that doesn't hurt. I need to take rest on lifting excercises..read that goblet squats can work but for safety I'm not taking any chances.

Maybo revert to doing legextensions or so for a while in the gym. Hope it heals quickly.

Friday new gripsession however.

Edited by Geralt

Are you lowering the bar slowly to the floor when you deadlift? I mean that it is risky to do so and it sounds like you did.

Are you lowering the bar slowly to the floor when you deadlift? I mean that it is risky to do so and it sounds like you did.

Well...I did partials for the very first time, pulling from knee height...I felt stronger ofcourse, but the lowering of the bar feels strange 'cause all of a sudden the weight is off your back and already on the supports... same feeling as crushing hard an suddenly letting go all of the tension..know what I mean. This is now very annoying because I was doing good stuff with my ab wheel and stuff..deadlifts...squats. Stupid cow, I just used to much weight in a new movement. I'm constantly falling for the same errors I noticed :angry2: Deadlifting is more handy with bumperplates...only my plates are solid steel/metal and letting them fall from a distance means they will go through my garagefloor in the direction of China....

• 2 weeks later...

Been fumbling around a while while my back hurted. Seen my physical therapist today and she 'popped' my back, damn! Feeling a LOT better already! In about two weeks I'm going on vacation for two weeks, Till then I just rest and won't do any heavy lifting, after that I'll start again.

Been thinking a lot lately on how much I want to do a #3 cert. And the outcome is I WANT to do it. So. Last year I trained a lot, but also did a lot of overall body training. And although I'm seeing results in overall body composition, my grip is NOT where it should be. I've got the tools, but I need to hold back in other departments. I want to use my gripmachines more in my quest, since they are just plain fun to use, and ofcourse, start lifting with my new thickbar. I'm going to work on my SW first for two weeks, I'm going to take my Vulcan with me on holidays, nothing further. After I'll do a cycle 4 - 6 of the SW / gripmachine plateloader, after that a nice deload with dynamic effort. I think it will come together now.

Today.

Warmup: 2 x 5 TNS filed IM#1 speedcloses;

Working: Homemade special weapon (photo under 'my tools' in the signature):

10 singles with 5 minutes in between: L 12 kg, R 15 kg. The tophandle is filed BTR, this felt intense, but didn't wreck my hands. It just felt hard and good. Holds for a 10 count.

Leverwork afterwards. Friday I did wristcurls and my lowerarms still felt that a bit.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Been fumbling around a while while my back hurted. Seen my physical therapist today and she 'popped' my back, damn! Feeling a LOT better already! In about two weeks I'm going on vacation for two weeks, Till then I just rest and won't do any heavy lifting, after that I'll start again.

Been thinking a lot lately on how much I want to do a #3 cert. And the outcome is I WANT to do it. So. Last year I trained a lot, but also did a lot of overall body training. And although I'm seeing results in overall body composition, my grip is NOT where it should be. I've got the tools, but I need to hold back in other departments. I want to use my gripmachines more in my quest, since they are just plain fun to use, and ofcourse, start lifting with my new thickbar. I'm going to work on my SW first for two weeks, I'm going to take my Vulcan with me on holidays, nothing further. After I'll do a cycle 4 - 6 of the SW / gripmachine plateloader, after that a nice deload with dynamic effort. I think it will come together now.

Today.

Warmup: 2 x 5 TNS filed IM#1 speedcloses;

Working: Homemade special weapon (photo under 'my tools' in the signature):

10 singles with 5 minutes in between: L 12 kg, R 15 kg. The tophandle is filed BTR, this felt intense, but didn't wreck my hands. It just felt hard and good. Holds for a 10 count.

Leverwork afterwards. Friday I did wristcurls and my lowerarms still felt that a bit.

When your hands feel really good after using the Secret Weapon (almost like you could really crush a gripper), that's the feeling you wanna have, which means you're doing everything right on that machine, but that's how it worked for myself. On your next use of the Secret Weapon, if you can add just 2.5 lbs, 5 lbs (may seem out there right now), but if you can add just a little weight to each workload, you'll be amazed and surprised how quick things can go up with that machine.

(Here's a little tip to also remember when you're done. If it feels like the skin in your palms are going to rip on your next single, you may only have one more rep in you with both hands; once you have that sensation of the skin (feeling) like it could rip you're done for the day on that machine.)

Edited by John McCarter