Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Allround body training yesterday. Started with creatine intake also. Actually I feel pretty good the way things are going, however, grip is going downhill again since I've got a slight tendinitis diagnosed on my right lower arm, is the flexor that plays up. So I'm going to lay off any specific gripwork for now.

Since I don't want to aggrevate it any further. No problem with indirect gripwork by the way, so deadlifts and stuff are no problem. For instance, lateral raises tend to hurt in my lower arm because of the way I have to hold the dumbbell. Stupid eh. I know I got it from SW work. The thing works for my muscles but my tendons and stuff hate me for doing those. Oh well. Part of the irongame I guess....

Beware by the way, I will be closing big grippers soon....grrrrrr :angry2::grin:

Edited by Geralt

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a short while, felt I didn't have much to mention. Still having a injury in my lower right arm, which is terrible frustrating.

I can do gripperwork without pain, but I can feel it around the upper flexor part of my lower arm. Some sort of stinging pain when grabbing for instance a wide object and than lifting it. Fed up with all those injuries this year. So I'm taking it easy as far as arm-isolation and gripwork goes.

All over body training goes steady and well. I will be posting again when the time is there, I started to do gripperwork mainly reps / blocksets with my filed IM#2.5 again. Building it up slowly.

Keep it easy (if possible). Don't turn injury into big damage !! Your time will come, no doubt !

• Like 1

I hope you heal up soon buddy. Injuries are incredibly frustrating.

Thnx guys. My numbers on the 3 big lifts are slowly increasing, so as far as there is progress on those lifts, my grip will get up to par in time again.

But yes, it is very frustrating.

I am really going to focus on my deadlift now. It has to go over the 200kg soon. This is my primary goal now. It taxes my grip without putting to much stress on

my right lower arm.

After warming up, DL with normal bar, sets up to 4 x 3 150kg, focus on speed;

IM#1 speedreps TNS 2 x 20 L and R;

Decided to give my homemade thickbar a good try now. Ended with 142.5kg (50mm thickness); I think with fresh hands I can pull 150 kg 'easy' with this bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkRhkeouQQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMY_Pc_DZk

Nice thickbar! 200 kg dl is going down fo sure O:-)

IM#1 filed 1 x 10 TNS

2 MMS closes IM#3

Couple of TNS attempts IM#3, all missed by a small gap.

IM#1 filed 1 x 30 TNS L and R.

Deadlifts conventional stand few sets focus on speed and form @ 100kg;

Tried Sumo stand also, don't know if I'm going to like this.

Squats, up to 130kg (PR, and felt easy, there was more in the bag..)

Chinups @BW;

Closegrip bench with EZ bar (feels better on the wrists and elbow) @ 90kg.

Ended with ab-wheel.

Edited by Geralt

First gripmoment this week. Typical feeling of mondaymorning in the hands. This was a quickie, tonight DL and bench. I don't want DL to interfere wth grippers.

Warmup IM#1 2 x 5 TNS;

MM2 replica MMS 3 x 1, 1 closed, 2 Very very very near to closed;

IM#3 MMS 1 x 1 closed, but just;

IM#2.5 (filed) 20 mm blockset 2 x 5; had to assist the last 2 closes on the last set;

IM#1 (filed) TNS 1 x 29

I am missing a lot of stamina and endurance with grippers, this is because there was no systematic training the last period, I did something whenever my arm felt good. This will have to change now. This week I'll receive my Fatgripz also...they will get my grip up to par I hope.

Tonight DL and Bench anyway. Discovered that I was pulling from a deficit at home, actual barheight with my plates is 17cm, while standardheight is around 21.5 cm. So I'm going to fix that. See if I feel difference.

Yesterday evening:

DL 5 x 50kg, 5 x 90 kg, 3 x 130 kg, 2 x 150 kg, 2 x 165 kg, 2 x 150 kg (all DO)

Bench with thickbar 10 x 50kg, 8 x 70kg, 5 x 95kg, 5 x 95kg, 4 x 95kg, went to regular bar, 8 x 90kg, 6 x 90 kg.

Skullcrusher 5 x 46 kg EZ bar full ROM, 3 x samo;

Dips with 10 kg vest.

Enough for the day.

Edited by Geralt

Curious why you switched from the thickbar to the regular bar for bench. Do you find one easier than the other? I only have an axle so I can't compare them myself.

Good work going down bro.

Curious why you switched from the thickbar to the regular bar for bench. Do you find one easier than the other? I only have an axle so I can't compare them myself.

Good work going down bro.

Thank you Daniel. Well, the weight disperse is far more pleasant on the wrists than a normal bar. BUT when doing a lot of pressing stuff with my thickbar, and than switching to the regular bar, the weight just feels more easy. Can't explain it otherwise. This really helped me busting through a plateau with for instance Benchpress. Since I do this, I recently did some pressing with a friend of mine and after warming up with the thickbar, I switched to regular bar and pressed 115 kg easy. And that with 105 kg feeling very heavy for me for just 2 -3 reps not to long ago. So that's a lot of strength gain for just a few weeks pressing with thickbar. I don't know if I can attribute it solely to the thickbar, but I didn't change my trainingregime and it's certainly not the Creatine haha!

Btw just got my Fatgripz Extreme in the mail. Buy them! They're great.

Edited by Geralt

First workout with Fatgripz Extreme.

Deadlift light session:

Up to 90 kg with Olympic barbell with fatgripz DO Than the bar just slipped out of my hand. Killing.

Up to 130 kg 'speedreps' DO without the fg's although there was not much speed.

All exc. with fatgripz:

Chinups, got up to a few sets with 5 reps @ BW, not to bad for grip.

Lat pulldowns;

Cable rows;

Bicepscurls with dumbell, up to 18 kg;

Ended with a few walks around the fitnessroom with 28 kg dumbells. These were killing on the forearms.

I can't say that I'm totally destroyed by the Fatgripz, but that's because I'm used to griptraining in general I think. But they sure do work the forearms in a much deeper way than I'm experiencing with grippers and my homemade fatbar. Very good addition to my griptools.

Edited by Geralt

Forgot to mention doing squats up to 100kg and leg extensions.

Did a light workout today since my lowerarms are freakin' deep and deepsore! At first I didn't have the feeling I destroyed my arms that much last session with the Fatgripz Extreme..but I was a little bit wrong. Yesterday they were just sore but today it's muscle aching deep within! So in that sense I'm getting what I payed for :)

Shouderpresses and lateral raises with some light tricepwork. Nothing fancy to report. Time to recover first. I think thickbarstuff will definitely be a good addition (nothing new here but I neglected it to long).

Lower arms are feeling much better now, so I couldn't resist letting them grippers hang on the wall.

Warming up

Filed IM#1 1 x 5 MMS;

Filed IM#2 1 x 3 MMS;

Filed IM#2.5 1 x 1 MMS;

Working:

IM#3 1 x 1 MMS missed by a hair;

1 x 1 closed;

2 x 4 MMS set and than forced reps with overcrushing every close as intense as possible;

Vulcan gold spring level 12 1 x 4 Blockset;

Filed IM#2.5 choked, 2x 1 overcrush;

Filed IM#2 1 x 5 closed;

Filed IM#1 1 x 10 as explosive as possible TNS closes.

Hands not on topstrength, after warming up they were already pumped like crazy. No idea thickbar would hit my arms this heavy.

Edited by Geralt

This morning in between work, grippers only. Tonight hitting (thickbar) deadlifts and squats.

I am not fully recovered from the thickbarwork last week and the last grippersession, but enough to handle a new short grippersession. Doing this tonight would interfere with thickbar, so it's good to have to heavy gripperwork done for the day.

I can tell I'm not fully recovered 'cause the #3 feels pretty much like a brick in the close's last mm.

I'm still going to hit it hard, once a week and for the rest thickbar. Then a short period of no grippers. We'll see what happens than.

Warmup

Filed IM#1 :1 x 5 MMS;

Filed IM#2 :1 x 3 TNS.

Working

IM#3: 4 x 1 MMS or wider, assisted the last mm and holds as long as possible.

Filed IM#2.5 2 x 1 TNS with overcrush as hard as possible.

Tonight workout at home:

Deadlift: up to 2 singles @170 kg. They felt tough. :angry2: 200 kg around christmas was a bit cheered to soon... On the upside: discovered that my hamstrings are probably the weak link. So I'm going to hammer those. Warmed up with Fatgripz Extreme thickbarwork up till 95 kg. Then switched to DO normal bar.

Squats: up to 1 single @130 kg. Glad with these (not satisfied), but it's a shame that haven't started doing these lifts frequently with a good plan. I just have to swallow it and take the beating. Hope to get my 1rm to 150kg soon. @Parris: hats off for 20 rep squats with 150kg. Sick.

Bench: Up to 2 sets of 5 @100 kg (Fatgripz), focus on technique; 1 x 1 @ 115 kg (normal bar). This felt pretty good actually.

Brainfart: Put a Fatgrip Extreme around a horseshoe handle (thus making a rolling handle of 3 inch) and managed to pull 60 kg. Is this decent? Ofcourse did the above mentioned work before. Felt heavy this way :chris:

Tonight short 'medium' gripsession at home, than afterwards a trainingsession at the precinct.

After warmup:

1 x 4 IM#2(Filed) TNS closed;

2 x 1 IM#2.5 (Filed) CCS closed;

1 x 1 IM#2.5 (Filed) TNS, missed by a few mm, but since it's filed down, it would have been a close with normal handles.

1 x 10 IM#2 (Filed) MMS.

Normal training:

Deadlift, up to sets of 3 with 140kg, just focus on form.

Chin ups @bw with Fatgripz E;

Chin ups bar only;

Dumbbellrows @40kg;

Cablerows with Fatgripz E;

Bicepsmachine with Fatgripz E;

Abs on Decline bench with Medicineball;

Flat, Incline and Declinebench with machine, full stack.

Ended with farmerswalks with dumbbells with Fatgripz E attached to them, did a few walks around a corridor @30kg dumbbells.

Took it 'easy' with the Fatgripz since I have been sore for at least 4 days after last time. I like the farmerswalks.

Edited by Geralt

Friday November 9th: All around bodytraining, felt tired and did a light training at the precinct. Deadlift is getting heavy, so I think

it's good to have a deload week for this. Ended with Fatgripz dumbell farmers walks with 32kg dumbbells. Every session I will take heavier dumbbells.

Tonight, short gripper only session:

Warmup:

Filed IM#1 1 x 10 MMS;

Working:

IM#3 : 3 x 10 second holds, they felt good. Only the third set I noticed I really had to put in the effort to reach the 10 seconds. Closed

the #3 from deep set to spare energy for the close;

Vulcan gold spring level 15: 1 x 3 MMS 2 solid closes, last rep cost me more effort;

Vulcan gold spring level 14: 1 x 5 MMS closed.

I noticed I got a little bit stronger in the set. just a feeling, since I am just 2 weeks working now with more thickbar, but I think it can be contributed to that.

Time will tell.

Coming week just some assistance work for deadlift and normal squats. No actual heavy deadlifting, only thickbar work which stops me from doing max lifts for my lower back. No heavy attacking the CNS.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Squats repwork up till 110 kg;

Bench repwork up till 105 kg;

Skull crushers with EZ bar up till 45 kg;

BW dips 3 x 10 with Fatgripz on handles, much more comfortable.

Dumbbell with Fatgripz Extreme lifts up to 51 kg with holds.

Some scattered training this week, so didn't feel I had to mention it. Wednesday and tonight included:

Fatgripz work (Dumbbell lifts one handed);

Bench (light)

Legs (presses)

grippers (#3 holds for time and lighter Vulcan work).

Nothing to special. No DL, felt I needed a break from that for this week. Also been very busy at work.

Also my garage is getting colder. Notice that in my training. Time for the gasheater soon...

Edited by Geralt

Short workout:

After warmup:

BBE MMS missed but forced closed and hold for a few secs;

MM2 replica x2 singles MMS, closed and holds for a few seconds;

IM#3 deep set and hold for as long as I could.

After that repwork with lighter grippers. Short but intense.

Haven't been updating this week, did some training but was also very busy with work.

Continued doing some holds with IM#3 and MM2 replica. Also thickbar dumbbellifts, like I posted on the main board.

Not sick at home with a cold/flu. So no training at this moment.