Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

@ Chez: cheers buddy.

Today last heavy trainingweek for grip, next week is a deload week for grip. Backing of to give the tendons a bit of rest.

* Griptraining;

* other training: Boxsquats and abs.

Grip after warmup with TSG's

Gripmachine (plateloader) 140 kg, 4 x 4 x 2 x 1

120 kg, 2 x 2

100 kg, 2 x 6.

After that some assistance work for the wrists.

!40 kg (308 lbs) was the last massive jump of 10 kg's per session, so after this cycle I am going to lower the weight a bit and make the cycle a bit longer, now adding less weight per time, maybe 5 lbs or so. The handlewidth is fine for me.

So far this was a good cycle, open handstrength / grippers beginning of the week, gripmachine end of the week.

I added a video so you can see how I setup the plateloader. Notice how I stand on my toes for leaning on the gripmachine, thus preventing my body to go into cheatmode by jerking the weight up. When the weight gets heavy, sometimes that is just an automatic reflex for me, so this is how I prevent myself from doing that. my short term goal is to do repwork around 150 kg (330 lbs) in this setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFWJKEhnj3I

Edited by Geralt

Had to mention this. I was pleasantly surprised to have a package delivered to me today from Cannon Powerworks. I didn't order anything and I learned from my wife soon that it was a gift from Nathaniel Brous (Anwnate on this board). We had some conversations back and forth about working towards that #3 CCS and griptraining in general. He decided to surprise me with this cool gift, a Ghp7 with setting block. Again, Nathaniel, as you read this, thanks man! appreciate it very, very much!

The gripper feels very good, ramping up in the close like a beefbuilder. The knurling is quite aggressive, which I like very much, keeps the dogleg just where it needs to be. Of course I had to try this one. tried a MMS but couldn't get it closed, missed it by a small bit. I ended my first gripcycle with my gripmachine as I wrote earlier above however and had a heavy crushsession this morning so my handstrength was not there anymore.

The gripper's RGC is #155. This will be a great addition to my collection and a very usefull tool in bridging the gap. When I'm recovered I will film a close this week. this week was supposed to be a deload week with 50% effort work but I need to do this haha

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 4

Anwnate is a real nice dude!

Tell me how that grip machine is working out for you man!

Its interesting to see if ppl can make good gains with stuff I've never tried,

makes me think about getting more equipment if they do! :)

What has proven to work the best for me is doing overcrushes on all reps I do, no matter what gripper I use and doing hoseclamped closes and filed grippers!!!

• Like 1

Had to mention this. I was pleasantly surprised to have a package delivered to me today from Cannon Powerworks. I didn't order anything and I learned from my wife soon that it was a gift from Nathaniel Brous (Anwnate on this board). We had some conversations back and forth about working towards that #3 CCS and griptraining in general. He decided to surprise me with this cool gift, a Ghp7 with setting block. Again, Nathaniel, as you read this, thanks man! appreciate it very, very much!

The gripper feels very good, ramping up in the close like a beefbuilder. The knurling is quite aggressive, which I like very much, keeps the dogleg just where it needs to be. Of course I had to try this one. tried a MMS but couldn't get it closed, missed it by a small bit. I ended my first gripcycle with my gripmachine as I wrote earlier above however and had a heavy crushsession this morning so my handstrength was not there anymore.

The gripper's RGC is #155. This will be a great addition to my collection and a very usefull tool in bridging the gap. When I'm recovered I will film a close this week. this week was supposed to be a deload week with 50% effort work but I need to do this haha

Pretty cool. Nate is a really good guy. Nate if you're reading this, I don't mind getting free grippers either :grin: haha. Enjoy it Geralt. I really like GHP grippers. They always feel tougher than their rating.

• Like 2

Tried my Ghp7 tonight 'cold of the couch', my wife was watching Greys Anatomy and I got bored. Took the gripper and tried it. Just HAD to do it...

Missed the 1.5 inch block set by a very small bit, but I think that was just the pause set in combination with lack of TNS activation. Tried it MMS after that one.

filming is crap but it's just for the close, nothing more. I have to work on block sets from here. Here's for you Nathan :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0Nz4RfNUc

• Like 2

GHP7 is some seriuz stuff. Nice close and long crush :)

• Like 2

Thnx for the cheers guys.

Tonight grippersession, together with squats and abs. Tomorrow an overall body training and than the rest of the week no possibilities to train. That's okay since this should be kind of a deload week. Maybe I'll just cram in a little plateloader session thursday evening. I'll see. Thickbarstuff next week.

After warming up (gripwise) and in between box squats;

Choked IM#3 (parallel) 3 x 1 explosive closes, missed the last one I believe because of shitty handle placement. (I just pick it up and immediately try to close it);

Filed IM#2.5 1.5" blockset 1 x 3 closes ending with overcrush;

Filed IM#2 1" blockset 1 x 5 closed;

Filed IM#1 1 x 30 closed.

Ended with decline bench abs, weighted situps and legraises.

Edited by Geralt

As I mentioned, last week should have been a de-load week. I definitely need it this week. Had a great weekend with my family but felt tired and my shoulder started playing up from nowhere suddenly on saturday. Not very painful but annoying. Maybe I need to do rotatorcuffwork. I begin with that kind of exc. everytime but after a week or two I always end up ditching them. Stupid. Also my lower arms have that 'shin splints' feeling when doing curls etc. so it's just a matter of doing just that to much. It'll be over before I get to girly I hope.

Yesterday I felt this very much when loading up my barbell for squats so I just said f..k it and watched episode 9 of Spartacus...

Tonight: still felt guilty of doing nothing so I loaded up my barbell and felt surprisingly good in my legs, so decided to keep it light and do some rep work.

Squats: 10 x 125 lbs; 15 x 145 lbs; 15 x 167 lbs; 10 x 187 lbs. Gave my quite a good pump really.

Abs: 1 x 30 sit ups; 2 x 12 sit ups bw + 20 kg plate;

legraises 2 x 15.

That's it. Completely letting my upper body and arms go this week. Cold turkey. But it's for the best. Not training is even harder than training hard actually haha

Dude, no training for a week is like a punishment comparable to a year in prison, almost :)

But when you know WHY you're resting and that you'll get stronger cuz of it, you can endure it!

• Like 1

Abs and some light rotatorcuff work. Felt good, no pain or so.

so why not grab a gripper.(wanted to do light grippers just for bloodflow but felt pretty good actually, but didn't want to take it to far) Each gripper on MMS close up till IM2.5. Took my Ghp7 and closed it with a 1,5" block set (But just). Didn't feel like overcrushing it or something. Closed it MMS and one time deep set. Enough, not wanting to aggravate my arm any further. Felt no pain however, but I know it's lurking there. Wise thing to do? Probably not. No more this week.

Edited by Geralt

Daniel Reinard made a vid of doing Silver Bulletholds. Going to incorporate these in my griptraining. They are tough! Made a homemade SB from an old metal pipe. I think it's the same thickness of the real SB. It's just as thick as my IM gripperhandles.

Tried to film these, this is actually my second one, first did a hold with my BBE, for 18 seconds, than got enthusiastic and tried it with my IM#3.5.

Daniel was right, doing these for a while will let the #3 feel like a trainer....the thickness of the 'SB' is less taxing on the tendons than a straphold (which of course I can't do with a #3.5), thus making some frequenter training possible. I only got a good 10/11 seconds, so I have a long way to go... :angry2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiZInoiCzQs

Did holds with a #3 with my left hand.

Strong work!

Let us know how it works for you bro. I plan on going on another gripper run after this comp and will do the SB holds every other week alternated with normal gripper work. Come Nationals we'll see how or if it pays off.

• Like 1

Thnx David! Will do so. I measured my version btw and it's exactly 19mm. It has a screw lining only at the end but the SB is also knurled so I don't think that's an actual benefit. Stupid I never did these before! These are a nice alternative for block set training, maybe even for setting technique. Don't know what they do for the actual last closing power though. Anyway your 23 seconds kick ass definitely on this thing!

I did SB holds as my regular gripper work for a couple months there. I really think it helped... I need to get back on the train!

• Like 1

Good idea for a home made silver bullet dude. I was never good at holds for time or endurance events. I'm much better at 1 rep max attempts. I like to explode for one quick effort.

• Like 1

@ Mr. Reinard: I meant Daniel of course instead of David haha thnx guys. Going to do these once a week, combined with thickbar and chokerwork.

@ Mr. Reinard: I meant Daniel of course instead of David haha thnx guys. Going to do these once a week, combined with thickbar and chokerwork.

Today light bench and abs. Shoulder feels a bit better now.

Yesterday I did those strapholds, so no grip until friday. Will be a choker session. I put the choker on my BBE.

Lower arms also feel better, although the irritation is still definitely there when applying pressure.

I can handle what I'm doing now without pain so that's good.

Squats, up to 130 kg and ab wheel rollouts. Deadlift light work but most energy was gone, busy week besides training.

In between the squats I did grip:

Working

BBE 1 x 1 MMS closed(! but just, but I closed it) 1 x 1 very very slight miss, 1 x 1 very very slight miss;

IM#3.5 homemade silver bullet hold 8 seconds.

Going to mention my lefty as well, this one is very behind, so this one needs to catch up also.

Choked IM#3 3 x 1 almost closed within choker set at parallel.

IM#3 homemade silver bullet hold 7 seconds.

I don't have a clue how my homemade version SB compares to the original one but I think the feel is good and might work for more blocksetting power.

I just going to give this some time.

• Like 1

My lefty is really far behind in strength aswell. Enoying >_<

• Like 1

I bet your SB is just about the same as the real deal. I don't think it matters what it looks like, as long as the width and weight attached is normal.

• Like 1

Guys, I'm actually thinking of starting with bending. I've seen so much about that, it's really making me curious on how this feels and works.

I figure this doesn't need to interfere with my gripperstuff, since I'm not starting with this 'balls-out' of course.

I'm reading a lot here about bending on the bending department but I'm having a bit trouble with conversing of the metric system. I need to see what would be

best to start with. Any ideas about that? Would it be good to start with buying a caliper, make some own cloth and go to the local hardware store?

Or just visiting the IM site. So, a lot of reading to do, but it sound like a lot of fun. Bending will be a nice variation on the gripperstuff while also building some

solid wrists and stuff. Let's see.

Any ideas appreciated of course.

Deadlift: 110 lbs x 5, 198 x 5, 286 x 3, 330 x 3, 352 x 2, 363 x 1. Getting my form right and felt good. No balls out, although I definitely feel I have to do

work to get to 396 lbs....

Realised I have rubber mats on the flat part of my house's roof for protecting the floorlayer. Took two of those and they are great for laying under my barbell.

My weight plates are smaller 30mm ones, so technically I was lifting all that time from a deficit when doing DL's. That's solved now and it also feels better.

Also for my concrete floor btw...

pullups 4 x 5 @ bw, shoulder raises, as I feel those don't irritate my shoulder, rubberband stuff for the back of my shoulders, dumbbell rows and ended

with bicepcurls one handed @ 57 lbs. My lower arm is feeling better, hope I can keep them that way.

Tonight a good session, taking more rest is getting more rewarding. And the more rewarding the sessions are getting, the easier it gets to let my gripstuff lying there for a couple of days :)

I feel good, although I worked my shoulders with laterals and stuff before weekend (did a good warmup) but I can still feel my shoulder a bit. Same with the lower arms, last Friday deadlifts and armwork, still feeling that one also. So I'm going to keep that intensity all over a bit lower, that way I can maintain what I'm doing now and still force progress. Quite frankly, it's a good solid gripsession once per week (or at least 5 days).

Besides grip: squats up till 'speed' squats @ 110 kg, Narrow grip benching (elbows tucked in) with EZ bar and Fatgripz @ 80-90 kg, dips (don't feel shoulders on that one, try to keep as straight as possible) and abs.

GRIP

R:

3 x 1 BBE attempts, fairly wide set, maybe I should aim for the deep set, all almost closed, closed last mm against leg and tried to overcrush;

1 x 2 MM2 replica (2 minireps, initial set MMS); :sorcerer:

1 x 1 MM2 replica Ghp 1" block set;

1 x 4 Vulcan level 13 Ghp 1" block sets;

1 x 2 Vulcan level 13 Ghp 1" block sets;

L:

Core workout, choked IM#3 is getting better: slight miss;

Vulcan level 12 1" blockset work.

Ended with homemade silver bullet 2.5 kg hold, strength was not good enough for solid work with IM#3.5, so took my IM#3:

R: 19/20 seconds;

L: 10 seconds.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Thickbar deadlifts DO, greasing the groove.

Work set

5 x 3 @ 125 kg (275 lbs).

Miscellaneous

Chinups 5 x 4 @ bw, as explosive as possible;

Flat bench working 4 x 5 @ 75kg / 165 lbs.

Just greasing the groove.

That's it, this morning also Jiu Jitsu so enough for today.

Was meaning to train last friday, something came up, yesterday the same. Was very busy yesterday and felt tired today. Still, went to the garage and did a warmup. Couldn't find my groove and couldn't move my first BBE attempt. Pretty irritating, but it's my body saying that today isn't going to be the day.

Called it quits. A year ago I would have pushed myself through with turning every attempt into a negative. Not going to do that anymore. Tomorrow new day.

Lazy sunday it shall be today. :sleeping:

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1