Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Short session after my vacation, the last months of this year I will be training my Deadlift, grip for so far my left arm can keep it up and general conditioning, since that department sucks at this point. Can't have it all eh.

Nathaniel Brous kicked me in the butt to send in an Ghp7 cert. attempt again which I did today. For the rest just trying to increase my workload on grippers that lay a fair bit below my max, since I don't want to max out on grippers every week anymore. MM2 is my working gripper.

This session was a bit dominated by filming my Ghp attempt. Did a few worksets after that and left it with that, together with squats.

Going to drastically lower the weights on my squats and do more volume on them, concentrating on the feel more than pushing max weights every time.

I am going to listen a bit more to my body, I need to convince myself that heavy load isn't everything all the time.

Besides that, going to do some restyling at home, so a lot of work at home besides regular work, kids and all.

• Like 1

Just got the message from Wade Gillingham that the attempt was good so my name is added to the list. On to the Ghp8 :shuriken:

After warmup and in between squats:

Working

MM2 replica 3 sets of 2 reps, around MMS. (working towards 3 reps each). Rating around 163 lbs. No maxing for a while.

IM#3 (unrated) 1 set 2 reps MMS;

IM#3 @149 2 x 1 1.5" blockset (attempt reps, and almost closed second rep, missed by a hair).

Thickbarwork (Fatgripz Extreme) with dumbbell, only right hand, lefty still tenniselbow. Again, no maxing out, just clean and nice repwork;

43 kg 1 x 4;

48 kg 4 x 3 reps till lockout;

43 kg holds 1 x 8 seconds, 1 x 5 seconds, 1 x 4 seconds;

General feeling in thickbarwork to be described as 'comfortable'. Working sets above 50 kg will be no problem soon.

Eccentrics for left lower arm, tenniselbow rehab.

Some wristcurls and abs afterwards and I was finished.

Edited by Geralt

Last days two sessions, 1 deadliftsession, ended with 396. My deadlift is weaker then before my vacation so I am need to work hard to get my 440 lbs deadlift.

Also upped the volume in squats, which feels good. Trying to watch my foodintake. I'll see how this goes for a week or 6. Going to start with a DL routine next week.

Yesterdaymorning a Jiu Jitsu lesson, in the afternoon squats and shoulderpresses. Starting light (83 lbs) but it feels good and my shoulders are painfree with my new approach of setup and ROM. Also 12 minute run, I'm almost good for a decent coopertest, so that's not to bad (got 1.42 miles in 12 minutes so that's not to bad after more then two years of no running at all).

Also rehabbing for my tenniselbow. Saturday grip.

This morning grip and squats for bloodflow.

Squats 4 x 8 work @ 80kg;

Grippers: Triples and doubles with MM2 replica, Ghp7 and IM#3, wasn't on top of my game with grippers however;

One hand dumbbell lifts with Fatgripz Extreme. Got 60 kg up till knee height, after that doubles with 57kg and triples with lower weight;

Barbell wristcurls from standing position, fingercurling the weight up and then cocking the wrist. worksets @ 75 kg and lower. A little bit tricky not to aggrevate my left arm, but it felt good. Crazy pump and lower arms were finished.

Thumbwork with thumbscrews.

Rehab work for my tenniselbow.

Coffee.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Thnx buddy. At this moment I am good for CCS-ing my #3's but it still just a bit depending of the moment and how I feel that day. So I need to make it a mathematical certainty that I can whoop the #3's ass in a cert. I am not in a rush however, I hope that 2014 will become a good year! The Ghp7 however still gives me trouble CCS, though it's rated 155 lbs. Numbers are just an indication. The feel is just different. So why not gain some strength :)

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Deadlifts up to 180 kg / 386 lbs. I know. DL is pretty girly for most guys here. Gains are coming gradually. after vacation I thought I'd be stronger on the DL but it was the opposite.

440 will come however.

5 x 5 squats @ 95 kg;

Dumbbell rows.

That's it.

Edited by Geralt

Last Wednesday squats up to 110 kg sets and shoulderpressing (light).

This afternoon after warming up incl. grip and squats (mainly for bloodflow);

IM#3 MMS: 1 x 1;

MM2 replica: 1 x 3 mms; 1 x 2 mms;

IM#3 1.5"

blockset : 1 x 1 closed;

IM#3 1 x 3 mms;

Ghp8 1 x 1 negative;

Tried some thin strapholds with IM#3 but just held on for two seconds or so and the weight dropped. Grippers finished for the day.

Left arm sets with IM#2 which felt good (MMS) and one set IM#2.5 MMS. Hope this will go ok from here. Being very careful.

Fatgripz Extreme dumbbell lifts, lost some power already with grippers. Got 60kg above the knees but strength quickly depleted after this.

Standing barbell wristcurls DO few sets @ 80kg, a bit to heavy for complete ROM, so lowered the weight till lower arms were fried.

Rehab work for extensors.

Had a few trainingsessions but somehow I didn't feel like keeping this log updated since there's not much news to tell. Just working on my crush.

I am trying to find out a good twist in my training routine that keeps my progress steady. I think I have found that so I am trying that out now.

No hocus pocus but just a mix between very light greasing the groove, medium repwork and a more intense session with the occasional balls out session here and there. When I have a bit more result I will post this.

Bought David Horne's Gripopeadia Vol. 5 this week and I can highly recommend it for anyone who likes grippers. No extreme new insights, but some useful tips that can also give just another approach to setting work and stuff.

Now and then I am filming some grippercloses. This is from Monday's repwork and singles session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOez0rbnnw

Besides that I am doing squats and once per week deadlifting, but I think I am going to put dl's a bit on the backburner for now, focussing more on volume in a single session instead of doing heavy singles and doubles. I need my energy now to focus on solid gripperwork for my primary goal.

Edited by Geralt

light squats.

- working up till BBE @169 lbs (slight miss because of regressing strength because of volume;

- Choked BBE work;

- MM2 holds;

- Thin straphold attempts with IM#3 but strength was gone for overcrush;

- Vulcan settingpractise = very very humiliating :sick::grin:

In a nutshell. Besides that light overall body training.

Next week no 3x training, maybe one very tuesday and next saturday heavy again. Then once per week heavy, then cycling back.

Etc. etc.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Deadlifts getting some volume in and working on technique;

Squats medium weight;

Seated thickbar shoulderpress;

Tried chinups but last saturday's ab-wheel made my abs ultra sore. Hoisting my body up was out of the question without dangling like

some kind of worm.

Called it a day.

My training in a nutshell today. Was a bit sick but still went in. Filming more sessions from now on when I have the time for it, that is.

Only typed the wrong date. - facepalm -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Q6xww3szE

Edited by Geralt

Squats are going well, today grippers only, didn't have time for a big session. Working at home redoing our livingroom. Busy weekend ahead.

Felt this in gripperwork that I had done a lot this week. Did three attempts CCS, two with my Ghp7 which feels much harder than it's 155 rating. first

time my pinky completely slipped so I couldn't close it in that angle, second one just missed by a small bit. Third attempt on my unrated #3, around 153 -155 I guesstimate. Missed by a small bit again. Just not on topstrength today. Completely ditching the CCS's for a while again and working on MMS again.

Wristwork afterwards.

MM2 replica around 163 lbs, 1 x 3 reps.

Singles MMS with all of my #3's.

Next week a better session. Just to much going on right now.

You mostly do grippers, ye?

Ever thought of changing the exercises for a while, letting the grippermuscles and tendons heal while you increase strength in the thumbs and stuff, so that you can comeback stronger in grippers? :)

Thats the way I've started thinking.

I'm going to do this for the whole next year.

Doing 8-10 weeks of an exercise and then switch, jump back and fourth between grippers, RT, pinch and axle. :)

You mostly do grippers, ye?

Ever thought of changing the exercises for a while, letting the grippermuscles and tendons heal while you increase strength in the thumbs and stuff, so that you can comeback stronger in grippers? :)

Thats the way I've started thinking.

I'm going to do this for the whole next year.

Doing 8-10 weeks of an exercise and then switch, jump back and fourth between grippers, RT, pinch and axle. :)

Yup, I can CCS most regular #3's now, only not consistent, and working for the upper #3 range now. That's why I need specific gripper work. Thickbar won't help me at this point, besides that, my left hand injury is playing up again since I slammed on to my elbow on the mat while doing Jiutsu two weeks ago. Damnit.

The path I am following now is the right one, grippers once per week, squats three times per week and DL once per week for maintenance. When I feel up to it I do supplemental work, so nothing that taxes my hands to much the rest of the week. :) But thnx for the input, much appreciate it. After I have certified next year I am going to focus on more allround gripwork and bending. Need to focus now.

• Like 2

Tried grippers halfway this week, but they didn't feel right. So took it to this morning and it felt better. My topstrength for crush was not completely there, however, working the sweep felt good. Trained with the Vulcan this time. Nice fruitful session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCJcsku8Y0E

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a little while, I didn't feel there's much to tell.

However, training is going well. Basic setup:

Working grip once per week, gripper max is slowly getting better, of course in small steps and with the occasional throwbacks.

Very close to a Ghp8 close now. The other week I am doing wider sets / rep work / Vulcan work, for setting practice.

The CCS is building up slowly to heavier #3's in the mid 150 range, still depending on how I feel physically so not as consistent as

I want it to be. This is what works for me now. Assisting exercises are done after my gripper work for extensors, wrists and thumbs.

Besides that I do overall training two times per week, mostly squats, deadlifts and other exc. depending how I feel.

So, small update how I am doing now in training, when I hit a pr I will post it on my YT channel.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still here and training, but lately I don't feel there's much real news to tell, besides that I am slowly progressing towards my main goal, two steps forward, one step back. doing regular training 2 times per week and one time combined with grip. Strengthtraining I finished my first cycle of 531 Jim Wendler based training, gripwise I am going to switch back to dropsets, after a real deload.

• 2 weeks later...

Very busy lately in everyday's life so I really need to relax and find some time to get some quality training in. Mo DL's, Wed. Squats and shoulders, Sat. Grip. Tried to mix things up with grip a little. Not maxing out for a while. Filmed my work for the fun of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTHzCEGRvCI&feature=youtu.be

Grippers today, climbed the ladder and killed my 169lbs BBE pretty solid with a good MMS. Missed my Ghp8 @176. the step up

is a little bit to big. Going to look for an in between gripper.

Also 58mm / 2.3" wooden pinch block, one handed reps up till 38.5 kg. / app. 84 lbs.

Also assistance work. Next week one heavy session (incl. next week heavy DL and squat session in 531 training) and then deload in all fields. Fits perfectly with the holidays.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Grippers today, climbed the ladder and killed my 169lbs BBE pretty solid with a good MMS. Missed my Ghp8 @176. the step up

is a little bit to big. Going to look for an in between gripper.

Also 58mm / 2.3" wooden pinch block, one handed reps up till 38.5 kg. / app. 84 lbs.

Also assistance work. Next week one heavy session (incl. next week heavy DL and squat session in 531 training) and then deload in all fields. Fits perfectly with the holidays.

Good stuff buddy. Nice close with the elite. That is a pretty nasty jump to the GHP 8 since the GHPs always feel harder than their rating.

• Like 1

This year's come almost to an end, looking back I've gained nicely.

I've CCS-ed my #3's, although I am not consistent enough and I want to CCS my 155 lbs Ghp7 first, which has a total different feeling and harder sweep.

I hope to MMS close grippers past the 170# range soon.

Benching didn't have my priority, I've started gaining slowly with deadlifting, hoping to get a 440 lbs deadlift soon next year. Squats are following in a linear path also so that's good. I am working with the 531 system and it works very nicely for me.

Thickbar could have been better, but it just messes up my gripperwork and I don't want to stray from my CCS work now. After that I will focus on thickbarwork more. I also am recovering from a nasty tennis elbow lefty so I don't want to aggravate that again. It's still there, but it's getting much better now.

I am also thinking of buying myself something nice for the holidays and I am not sure what I am going to look into, it will be the Europinch, a new in between gripper or some bending stock. I think it will be the Europinch.

• Like 1