Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Trained shoulders tonight in the gym, why I haven't been visiting this gym for months is a mystery to me, this is so much easier for training shoulders.
Instead of doing strict seated stuff I could do standing shoulderpress now for a change and the weights went up bigtime for me.

Shoulderpress (standing);
Seated dumbbellpress;
Machine shoulderpress;
lateral raises as finisher;

Face pulls, triceps pushdowns and seated rows supersets.

Seems I have fallen again into my own weakness, being to eager and doing to much. Today I tested grippers and they went down easy in warmup, but not as easy as they should. So I am posponing this session and give myself some extra nights of rest. My CNS really needs some time off. Also noticing that in my legs. Although I have been cycling through 531 and got good progress, I still kept going with working out and still expecting big progress on my gripperwork. After a big increase where I almost got up to the point that I saw the cert. coming, I regressed. Wasted two months with that. I need to be smart now with grippers starting to rise again, I need to cut myself some slack and focus on the grippers. Thnx Nathaniel for also holding that mirror before me, I sometimes need that. I want to do so much that I always tend to fall for the same trap. #learntoknowmyself Still, great to have some people around pointing out stuff. Even if you know it, sometimes another person needs to open your eyes.

• Like 2

After a big increase where I almost got up to the point that I saw the cert. coming, I regressed. Wasted two months with that. I need to be smart now with grippers starting to rise again, I need to cut myself some slack and focus on the grippers.

I do that sht too!

Being greedy and stupid, losing gains...!!

Im sticking to grippers every 7-10 days, like our good friend Chez :)

If I can stick that and not train more often than that shouldnt regress.

I say that you were on the GHP7 certlist :)

Do you think certing ghp7 is much easier than coc3?

• Like 1

Hey man, for what it's worth, I've trained as a bodybuilder for 6 years and now I train hard for 4 Weeks, and then take one week off to rest. Some people may think that's overkill, but it really helps the cns stay fresh and conditioned. Also gives you some time to focus on rehabilitating any injuries...for me thats rotator cuff, tendonitis in left forearm and stretching the lower body to keep my back okay. I'm not saying you should do this, but remember...strength is built in your bed and kitchen, not the gym!

After a big increase where I almost got up to the point that I saw the cert. coming, I regressed. Wasted two months with that. I need to be smart now with grippers starting to rise again, I need to cut myself some slack and focus on the grippers.

I do that sht too!

Being greedy and stupid, losing gains...!!

Im sticking to grippers every 7-10 days, like our good friend Chez :)

If I can stick that and not train more often than that shouldnt regress.

I say that you were on the GHP7 certlist :)

Do you think certing ghp7 is much easier than coc3?

We want it just to quick I guess. I have the tendency to look to much at what other people are doing, trying to make up for the time in my life I didn't train. I just can't turn that around, other state of daily life, getting older etc. (not that I am that old of course but you know what I mean)

About the Ghp7, the Ghp grippers are different grippers compared to COC's in my experience. Both my Ghp's have a tough sweep (7 & 8).

My Ghp7 is rated at 155 lbs by Cannon Powerworks but I can tell you it's much harder in the sweep from the start than my 3 IM#3's. So I can say that my Ghp7 is a pretty tough gripper to handle. I can even say it's harder because of the hard sweep than my MM2 replica. The 1.5" blockset is a wide enough set to take your set out of the convenience zone of MMS. I am still a long way off from doing doubles with this gripper at that width. So to answer your question, yes it's 'easier' then the IM#3 cert in general because of the narrower set, but it also depends on the rating of your Ghp. But hey that's the case with every TSG.

We all know there are 145 lbs 3's and 158 lbs ones. I saw Vano Sukhashvili's #3 cert and he had to struggle through the last part of the close while he was repping his IM#3 CCS in training. Just pointing out. It turned out to be around 158lbs or higher. Rare? Possibly, but he got one in that range. But that's grippers.

• Like 1

Hey man, for what it's worth, I've trained as a bodybuilder for 6 years and now I train hard for 4 Weeks, and then take one week off to rest. Some people may think that's overkill, but it really helps the cns stay fresh and conditioned. Also gives you some time to focus on rehabilitating any injuries...for me thats rotator cuff, tendonitis in left forearm and stretching the lower body to keep my back okay. I'm not saying you should do this, but remember...strength is built in your bed and kitchen, not the gym!

I know brother. Thnx, appreciate it. I was focussing also on DL work, wanted to get the 440 lbs. I am very close to that, if not already able to pull it off, but together with squatting and training for the #3 cert it's all a little bit to much for that specific goal. But since this week was deload according to my 531 program this falls nicely. Next week I'm off for a midweek holiday so a good period to focus solely on my grippers. Let's be honest, this thread, my log is getting a bit boring. But I'll be damned, it will be ended with the cert! :shuriken:

Tonight grippers tested better.

Highlights in short, Ghp8 @176 deep set, allllllllmost closed...BBE short coinhold, finally again IM#3 CCS (but just), MM2 closes, after most work Ghp7 1.5" blockset but missed it by a very small bit. Damn tough gripper. It's okay, did heavy work before this.

Restweek now. :sleeping:

• Like 3

I know brother. Thnx, appreciate it. I was focussing also on DL work, wanted to get the 440 lbs. I am very close to that, if not already able to pull it off, but together with squatting and training for the #3 cert it's all a little bit to much for that specific goal. But since this week was deload according to my 531 program this falls nicely. Next week I'm off for a midweek holiday so a good period to focus solely on my grippers. Let's be honest, this thread, my log is getting a bit boring. But I'll be damned, it will be ended with the cert! :shuriken:

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this...had a crazy weekend. I in no way think your log is getting boring. It seems that lately all the "cool kids" have focused their efforts on pinch, but i love grippers and love reading logs of people who love grippers. You're gonna certify, man. You will.

• Like 1

It seems that lately all the "cool kids" have focused their efforts on pinch

There is still a small table in the way back of the cafeteria for us gripper nuts to sit. We are right near the band and theater kids. :upsidedwn

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

There is still a small table in the way back of the cafeteria for us gripper nuts to sit. We are right near the band and theater kids. :upsidedwn

Hahaha indeed!

'Waiter, you see that big Italian bloke, sitting in the back over there? Here, give him some wine and send him my compliments.'

• Like 2

Deload session #1 this week.

Squats

50kg x 10;

70kg x 10;

90kg x 10;

70kg x 2 x 10.

In between grippers: Filed IM#1 2 x 5 MMS;

Filed IM#2 3 x 3 20mm blockset (explosive)

I focussed very much on how I set the gripper.

Abs: Ab wheel roll outs and leg raises.

With ab wheel I can feel in my lower back that that's exactly the part which is feeling a bit tired, so no DL for two weeks

is a good idea.

Wednesday gymsession with machines for upper body.

'Waiter, you see that big Italian bloke, sitting in the back over there? Here, give him some wine and send him my compliments.'

Best present ever. Free wine just taste better.

• Like 1

Forgot to update my log from last Wednesday evening. Went to the gym for a change again.

Deload #2:

Standing strict shoulderpresses 10 x bar, 10 x 40 kg, 8 x 50, 3 x 60, 5 x 55 kg;

Dumbellpresses, can't remember exactly, but few sets with 28 kg each;

Lateral raises;

Supersetted seated cable rows and tricep pushdowns;

Bicepmachine;

Abs on incline bench.

Somewhere this weekend a grippersession and than till next Friday no training at all.

After that I will ease into my 531 cycle again.

This is me now, I'm around 1.96 mtr and 104 kg.

Gym 12 February 2014

• Like 1

My last training session on vid. I am consistent now with my 169 BBE and the need to fill the gap between the BBE and my Ghp8 or COC#3.5. I haven't tried my COC#3.5 for a while, quite frankly, shame I didn't try it today for holds. Enough work to be done, but there is also room now to start focusing on the CCS again.

Wanted to be at least back at around 3.3 level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAbT3T7sgo

I'm hearing good things about the megalodon for bridging that gap, brother

Thnx, yeah...I'm a bit mixed on that gripper...that's because of the narrower spread and the guess in the end on what rating I would be working. You know, It's not only both handles equally set up higher or lower on the spring, but also difference when both handles have different spring placement each.

So I'm still waiting for more user reviews :)

Thnx, yeah...I'm a bit mixed on that gripper...that's because of the narrower spread and the guess in the end on what rating I would be working. You know, It's not only both handles equally set up higher or lower on the spring, but also difference when both handles have different spring placement each.

I agree, which is why I haven't bought the T rex yet. I think it's a really cool concept, but people have gotten strong without them. That 170-180 range is so hard to get though. Sometimes Matt gets a freak MM2 but they sell crazy fast.

I agree, which is why I haven't bought the T rex yet. I think it's a really cool concept, but people have gotten strong without them. That 170-180 range is so hard to get though. Sometimes Matt gets a freak MM2 but they sell crazy fast.

That's right. And here in Europa we're dealing with crazy gripper costs. Getting a gripper here costs me the price of a new gripper. $ 20,- . I had a talk yesterdayevening with Nathaniel, He has a Meglodon and it sounds pretty cool indeed. Mighty Joe made a review about them and also gave some nice tips on how to set the handles evenly. That should take care of that issue. I am going to work more with my Vulcan I think. I modified it so that it can be set to parallel so I can do chokerwork with it. I can use the harder grippers I have for setting practise and the Vulcan for crush training in addition to the TSG's I have. That should take care of the aspect 'crush goes down because of Vulcan use' :chris: It's like you said, people have gotten strong with less in the past. It IS beneficial to have grippers up in resistance however for gradual strengthincrease....but hey this isn't a perfect world haha

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Hee Geralt,

I've got a Megalodon too. If you live any where near Rotterdam you are welcome to come over and test it!

Appreciate that dude. I think it's nice to do a grip- get together this spring. We'll have contact about that.

- And so the Dutch Grip Collective started that year - :ph34r:

• Like 4

Hee Geralt,

I've got a Megalodon too. If you live any where near Rotterdam you are welcome to come over and test it!

Appreciate that dude. I think it's nice to do a grip- get together this spring. We'll have contact about that.

- And so the Dutch Grip Collective started that year - :ph34r:

Heck yeah! The humble beginnings of Netherlands Grip Domination!

• Like 1

Thank you guys!

Wanted to test today with my deadlifts and went in pretty enthusiastic. However I got a little too carried away with warming up and blew a bit too much gas in

the 160kg range, which at that point felt relatively 'easy'. I aimed for 190 kg but ended up with two singles for 180 kg. Kinda sucks, not the moment blah blah and all that stuff. No excuses however, I will make 180 kg as my 1rm now for 531 and start JW from here. I'm in no hurry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXSRU-uiTms

Did some pull ups afterwards, didn't feel like making a complete workout, was a little bummed by this.

My priority list however at this point: Gripper #3 cert (1), DL progression (2) Shoulderpress progression (3).

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3