Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Gripperwork today with assisting exc.

Most is caught on video, did some more gripperwork which I didn't film. Focus was on more heavy holds. Have had a busy week, had a short night with lots of alcohol the evening before lol so it probably wasn't the best moment but I wanted to do some gripwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySgkdLm0rN4

• Like 1

I have been testing a lot of new stuff lately. My right arm is still a bit of a problem, specially my right shoulder, but I can do certain movement pretty good. So I am working around it and taking it easy.

Yesterday first training with my new trapbar and I like it a lot! Sore glutes and quads. I am working from a deficit so I don't have the handles of the bar to high. This will benefit my DL and squats for sure.

55 kg 1 x 10

95 kg 1 x 10

135 kg 1 x 4

155 kg 1 x 4

175 kg 1 x 2

180 kg 1 x 2

went to 200 kg since I felt pretty good but that jump was to high. Took it back in weight. I will get 200kg soon enough with this thing.

165kg 1 x 5

Stifflegged DL / Romanian combination or something, emphasizing on hamstring anyway. 3 x 10

Also bought a 24kg kettlebell, which I have been working with after dinner. Swings and shoulderwerk. It's a bit to heavy for my right shoulder since that's my injured spot, so I have also ordered some lighter bells for myself and my wife. I am starting to like these things very much. Cool stuff and a good workout all in all.

Also working on my core with planks, did that the other day. Next two days rest.

I think that trapbar will be a very usefull and fun addition to your training! Would you say it's a bit easier or just as hard as a regular deadlift?

Have you tried doing a bottom up press with the KB yet? Great exercise for grip and wrist strenght and shoulder stability. Although 24kg might be a bit much to try it for the first time, it's quite difficult to find the balance when you try it for the first time.

I think that trapbar will be a very usefull and fun addition to your training! Would you say it's a bit easier or just as hard as a regular deadlift?

Have you tried doing a bottom up press with the KB yet? Great exercise for grip and wrist strenght and shoulder stability. Although 24kg might be a bit much to try it for the first time, it's quite difficult to find the balance when you try it for the first time.

I sure think so that this will benefit. The handles are a little bit higher than my regular barbell, so I think it is a little bit easier. This can be addressed however with a bigger deficit. But the whole weight distribution is so much different, dare I say much more comfortable. Also shrugs are much more comfortable to do, my traps are sore now.

It takes care of the mental aspect as well. When I can pull bigger weight, there is this feeling of 'hey I can handle this well' which should be good for breaking weight of the ground more determined with the regular DL. Which I am not abandoning, but I want to build a bigger base first. Then add the regular DL's.

For the bottom up press the kettlebell is to heavy for now. With my poor shoulders I really feel this weight already. Like I said, I have ordered two lighter ones, which should be good for getting the technique in. The ratio size vs. actual weight is very deceiving with kettlebells I noticed.

Btw i did 2 x 2 @ 180 kg. Just for keeping my log straight.

Edited by Geralt

Workouts look solid, Geralt! Be careful with the shoulder man! That sticks with you for a long, long time.

Workouts look solid, Geralt! Be careful with the shoulder man! That sticks with you for a long, long time.

Thnx Ben, I have good hopes that the man who normally gives me massage gets the green light after this weekend to start massaging again. He had an operation recently and is in his 60's but has very strong hands. I don't know anyone who gives better massages. That should work. I'm seeing another guy now who does triggerpoints. Helped me for my lower arm but not so much on the shoulder. Sometimes just brute force needs to be applied to the muscle tissue lol

Ordered extra kettlebells also for my wife, got the 8 and 12 kg yesterday. Cool.

Wanted to do grippers yesterday evening, since my hands felt strong. When I went up to the IM#2.5 it felt easy but not as easy as normal so I quit. I want quality work. Had a rough night last night, had two girlfriends staying over with my daughters so needless to say they fell asleep very late and were awake very early lol

Combined with the heat over here now I'm wasted. So somewhere next week will be probably a better option than to still go in and do my stuff.

Also my girly abs need a break from the plankwork. Tough exercise yet so simple. Standing ab wheel roll out will come.

Ordered extra kettlebells also for my wife, got the 8 and 12 kg yesterday. Cool.

Wanted to do grippers yesterday evening, since my hands felt strong. When I went up to the IM#2.5 it felt easy but not as easy as normal so I quit. I want quality work. Had a rough night last night, had two girlfriends staying over with my daughters so needless to say they fell asleep very late and were awake very early lol

Combined with the heat over here now I'm wasted. So somewhere next week will be probably a better option than to still go in and do my stuff.

Also my girly abs need a break from the plankwork. Tough exercise yet so simple. Standing ab wheel roll out will come.

Maybe borrow that 12kg kettlebell :)

Maybe borrow that 12kg kettlebell :)

haha yeah i know there are quite some nice exersises which can be done with kettlebells. however, most need to done with very light kettlebells. I have done some wrist work, ulnar flexion and abduction etc. but just a few kg's are enough for those movements.

Edited by Geralt

Had to change up plans, tomorrow whole day gone because of family obligations and till tuesday I also have some things to attend to.

Which leaves the first possibility to do something griprelated wednesday. Not going to wait that long, since I want to keep the train moving.

Decided to make a lighter session today, MMS work around 80% of my max.

Warmup several clicks at each gripper mms, up till filed IM#2.5.

Working:

BBGM @137lbs 3 x 3 with 25mm blockset.

Turns out I really had to work for the second and third set.

Left hand speecloses with IM#2 with overcrushing.

Ending with 1 x 3 CCS with IM#2.

Some wristleverwork with kettlebell 8 kg.

Hex/trapbar deadlift:

55 kg 1 x 5;

95 kg 1 x 5;

135 kg 1 x 3;

155 kg 1 x 2;

175 kg 1 x 1;

190 kg 1 x 1

200 kg 1 x fail

175 kg 3 x 2

Stiff legged deadlifts for assistance with thickbar (Axle thickness)

60 kg 2 x 10;

95 kg 2 x 10.

I am figuring out proper form with these and it is quite taxing on the grip the last reps.

Some bw chin ups. Also working on form etc. since my arm injury finally is getting a bit better. Still not there thought.

However, went to my 'good old' massage address and he immediately felt what the problem was in my right shoulder. Feels so much better now!

I have a bum shoulder. That's it. Some light squats further and kettlebells.

I was like that until i realized that it was the backsquats that hurt my shoulders!

I will never Do barbell backsquats again.

I was like that until i realized that it was the backsquats that hurt my shoulders!

I will never Do barbell backsquats again.

Well, I used to be quite flexible but somehow I got this nagging sore spot in my shoulders which hurts in most forms of pressing. I think I will need to lay that down for a while.

Maybe better so I can focus on grippers like I should....

Even with lighter kettlebell presses it bothers me. Rotator cuff exc. etc could work maybe. Or rest. Alway difficult. Massage however worked, I think I also went into the workout too soon after the massage. Muscletissue was still healing. So 'll just stay low for a while in that area.

Edited by Geralt

Shoulderpain sucks.

If it's some kind of impingement or imbalance rest won't work however. Might be worth investigating if the shoulder needs more stability/balance.

Shoulderpain sucks.

If it's some kind of impingement or imbalance rest won't work however. Might be worth investigating if the shoulder needs more stability/balance.

I think it's just that indeed. Plus some overtraining of that area. Working on that now. Doing wall slides with the back of my hands to the wall etc, stretching and stuff and rubber band work. Plus rest of that area. So no kettlebell presses for a while. Focus will be more on developing my back. the massage therapist is going to discuss my problem again with the chiropractor as far as the nerve problem in my right arm. He's convined it's some sort of entrapment in the shoulder or back that's causing the pain around my lower arm when flexing my bicep. Let's see what they come up with.

Grippertraining went not so good yesterday. I am taking the whole week off from any training. It will do me good.

My shoulder is giving me troubles and I need to give it a break. I will however do shoulder mobility work, stretches and bandwork.

Also I will work my core.

Enough work to be done around the house so I'm not that afraid of becoming a couchpotatoe lol

Took the whole week off from any form of training since last session and I felt much stronger in today's session. Figures eh. Till certing time I am not going to

do too much anymore other than grippers of course. Till my vacation I have two trapbar DL sessions planned for keeping my overall body at strength.

After that I have two nice weeks off from training and have hopefully a nice vacation with the family.

Anyway, tonight's session (light squats speedwork in between, just for CNS activation):

Everything closed until mentioned otherwise.

Warmup

Filed IM#1 1 x 5 MMS;

Filed IM#2 1 x 3 MMS;

Filed IM#2.5 1 x 3 MMS;

IM#3 (149) 1 x 1 MMS (easy)

Working

Ghp7 (155) 1 x 1 MMS;

BBE (169) 1 x 1 MMS;

MM2 replica (guesstimated around 160 - 163, worst case scenario 158 lol) 1 x 2 MMS;

MM2 replica 2 x 1 1.5" Ghp blockset, missed by just a slight margin...damn. could have had that one. No clue why I did the two MMS close before these.

IM#3 (153) 1 x 1 MMS;

IM#3 (149) 1 x 1 MMS;

BBGM (137) 1 x 8 (felt very easy! what a difference with last session where I had trouble with triples. Overtrained that week. definitely)

1 x 3 with overcrush.

Left hand also felt good, did doubles with mentioned BBGM, 8 reps with filed IM#2.5 and 25 MMS reps with a filed IM#2.

Both hands thumbwork with thumbscrews mounted on Vulcan and wrist work with light kettlebells.

Here's one of the 1.5" blockset attempts my wife filmed for me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2SeqkHxAnk&feature=youtu.be

• Like 3

Last training this week, from here again rest till next gripsession. Taking good food and resting up.

Hit a nice PR again with trapbar, now 195kg/430lbs. 440 is very near now. Assisting work and some testing for armwork because

of my damn shoulder/arm injury. Doing what I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8omFSp5-KQY&list=UU_y-TPakQE6zfc18qWgZW7Q

• Like 1

Last training this week, from here again rest till next gripsession. Taking good food and resting up.

Hit a nice PR again with trapbar, now 195kg/430lbs. 440 is very near now. Assisting work and some testing for armwork because

Cant see the vid. Its private.

Cant see the vid. Its private.

I changed it Peter, you should be able to see it now.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Great video, Geralt. Looks like you're using great form on all your exercises. Sorry to hear that your shoulder is still acting up, but at least you're taking the necessary actions to heal it. Btw, that's an awesome deadlift!

Thnks Anthony, I want to do everything in good form, weight will come. Btw, I can really recommend working with a trap bar. It's a bit easier to load the weight up, but in the end 200kg is 200kg while it's hanging in your hands. And it saves the lower back. I will do regular DL's in time but this way I can load the weight and keep working on assistance exc. for strengthening my hamstrings. I'm pretty weak off the floor. Getting stronger this way must relate to DL. Or it won't. lol.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

New grippersession but it didn't work out as planned. Everything kept feeling heavy, although I had seven days of rest from grippers.

Felt a bit tired all day, went to bed very late last night and wasn't very active throughout the day. I should have known that wasn't the best day to

pick them grippers up but sometimes you just have to push through to feel whether or not it's going to happen that day.

Working sets some #3 attempts CCS, barely got a 141lbs #3, missed my 153 lbs one. My left hand felt much weaker than last week.

Also bumped my left hand while warming up against something so I had a painful back of my hand to begin with. Just quit, this wasn't going to be the day.

What a difference compared to last week, where I almost 1.5" blocksetted a MM2 replica and now I was struggling to get a 141lbs #3 CCS.

that's my body.

Tomorrow new day, going to do some deadlifting and then I'll be off for a nice vacation. Going to take my grippers with me, there's a fitness over there that is seldom used, so I can do some gripperwork over there. Maybe two grippersessions at most now before certing time. Last week will be complete rest of anything, maybe some stretching but that's it.