Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

This week grippertraining:
Morning together with squats:

Dropsets, up to Vulcan level 18, MMS close (nice!);
Also started setting practise with Vulcan (only not this week).

Afternoon:

Between all kinds of household chores I somehow felt strong in my hands, despite this morning's training,
did 3 x 1 BBE closes @ 169lbs, which is pretty neat. Getting consistent now around 3.3 level grippers so
next step up is closing 170 lbs+ grippers. After this did some repwork with my MM2 replica which should be around 160 - 163 lbs.
Enough for this day. Coming week was a planned deload week for 531 training. Doing so also with grippers.

Ordered David Horne's Europinch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2xqmtFBrFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCuMnlpXszQ

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I have not been updating my log very much. I am going to start doing this again for the coming year. 2014 I hope to become strong enough to consistently CCS every range of the IM#3 spectrum, so from 145 up to 158 lbs. So work to be done there. I have CCS my #3's, the heavier once yet not consistent enough. My strength seems to vary a lot, so that needs work. Max MMS tsg grippers around 170 lbs right now.

Other goals next year: DL DO/mixed grip 200 kg / 440 lbs. I hope to reach this goal within a few months now.

Current strength program since 2 months, 531 based lifting. I focus on DL, squats and shoulderpress, last one needs the most attention, because of time I will go from the shoulderpress to bench. I just don't have the time for more than 3 sessions per week.

Grip: once per week. I have bought the Europinch device so on gripday I focus mainly on grippers and after that pinch from here.

Today's session

DL working: 5 x 106 kg;

5 x 122 kg;

10 x 140 kg (pretty intense app. 308lbs)

Goodmornings 4 x 10 @ 50 kg (need to get the feeling of these, done strictly this is a good weight for me)

Hanging legraises 4 x 10

Bicepcurls with EZ bar, 5 x 50 kg (110 lbs), 8 x 46 kg, 6 x 46 kg, 6 x 36 kg. Enough, lower arms protesting a little. don't want to aggravate them. just for fun giving the guns a bit of attention. :chris:

Last session of this year! Happy new year everybody!

Edited by Geralt

Pooped because of the holidays and late/early hours on new year's eve. Light cold getting up, although manageable.

531 squats and shoulderpress

Squats working:

77 kg 1x5

89 kg 1x5

100 kg 1 x 10

Shoulderpress working:

38 kg 1 x 5

44 kg 1 x 5

50 1 x 8

Numbers a bit low maybe bit this way I can grow. This is a good program, wish I started with this this much earlier.

Europinch

Hit it for the very first time. There's a lot to tell, but in short I need to tinker a bit with my setup. I need to make it a bit more compact, since I am hitting

my crotch when I lift to full upright stand. I also cut up my old traininggloves (never used! haha) for thumbweb protection, but that didn't feel comfortable.

So did some attempts for the feel and ended up with getting air under roughly 87 kg's / 191,80 lbs. I got 84,9 kg / 187 lbs on vid.

Damaged the webbings a bit of course, so I am thinking of working with either working gloves or a (tip David H.) towel just draped over the plates.

Going to try again with that setup for maxing out once to test my 1rm and also going to work 531 base for my pinch once per week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRmEI-SJGY

Those are great first time numbers! How did you convert it to take standard plates? 531 is an awesome programs you're going to see gains you never have before.

• Like 1

Those are great first time numbers! How did you convert it to take standard plates? 531 is an awesome programs you're going to see gains you never have before.

Thnx buddy, yeah...I hope this program will let me go past the 440 lbs deadlift DO. I have never held on to a program, that's my weakspot. Made for mediocre results in the lifting area. Now that I am doing my third cycle I am noticing progress, so indeed it feels very right not to max out every time. So gripper are first priority, next to that DL, than squats and the rest. I just need to direct the energy that I have to the right goals.

The convertion? I bought a 50 mm steel pipe, about 25 cm, and a 85 cm long 30mm steel pipe. Obviously, the 30mm slides through the 50mm pipe. My neigbour drilled three holes on the both outer ends of the 50mm pipe and tapped wires, so that I can set the 30mm bar tight with 3 bolts each side. I need to put the pinching plates and spacer on the 50mm bar first of course, than the bolts go in. The 50mm pipe can be a bit shorter, because there is a lot of room now between the pinching plates and the weights.

As clamps for the two pinching plates my neighbour sawed two rings from a 52mm? pipe that slides perfectly over the 50mm one. also, drilled holes in them and tapped wires. Presto, with bolts ones has two clamps than can be screwed tight.

If you need any pictures or so, let me know ok? btw, see mark 1.45 on the video above.

Edited by Geralt

Thought I felt better today after being completely wasted yesterday from a cold/headcold. Gripworkout however went shittier than shit. Second one in a row. On to the third one I guess This sucks and I don't need this when working up to consistent CCS work. Not going to bother with writing it all down here today. Next time better.

:angry2: :angry:

After Sat's crappy session I still did some CCS work later that evening and it seemed as if my hands had gotten more warmed up. Still, I missed the CCS work because my hands missed their 'topstrength' because of the session that morning. Sunday even also some CCS attempts, also on my MM2 replica. Got it fairly close, so for me it's getting a matter of knowing how to properly fire my CNS (not just squatting, but I need to get that 'feel', can't explain that) and keep getting more familiair with CCS work, since I am not doing it that much.

Wasted hands after two days of grippers, still got it fairly close. So that's good. (MM2 replica CCS attempt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zktNf_BgXJ8

Today session

Short, because of work:

DL (531 cycle week 2) all DO : worksets 3 x 107kg, 3 x 130 kg, 10 x 150 (330lbs).

Goodmornings 4 x 10 @ 55kg with hanging leg raises 4 x 10 in between sets.

EZ bar bicepcurls 10 x 46kg, 8 x 46 kg, 2 x 10 x 36kg.

Edited by Geralt

Yesterday squats 531 and shoulderpress. low energy however. Very early @work and persisting headcold.

Squats working week, last working set @ 107kg x 8.

Shoulderpress last working set @52kg x 6

Dips, light bench.

CCS with IM#1 speedcloses.

Did grippers this morning, as I felt fairly fresh.

My strengtline is still not back where it needs to be, but I still went in for working wider closes. I need to get more familiar with those. I just go with the flow, my bodystrength will go up sometime I guess. It's just this up and down thing I need to deal with so I am not going to overthink shit to much and just get in, do my work and get out. That said:

IM#1 up till IM#2.5 all TNS closes.

Working:

Several #3 CCS work, missed most by a hair, neithertheless, missed the attempts, maybe got one and that was my lighter #3;

Ghp7 CCS attempts, missed, I keep saying that this gripper is one of toughest gripper that has a harder sweep than my #3's, thus feels harder than it's 155lbs rating. No excuse however;

MM2 replica wide sets, closed.

All in random order. Not completely wasted hands, so maybe tonight other gripwork OR again, grippers when I feel froggy.

You'll see me climbing again in gripperstrength soon enough. Having this much lower strength workouts only determines me more to work hard.

Edited by Geralt

Keep training hard and don't get discouraged man it will come!

Keep training hard and don't get discouraged man it will come!

Thnx dude. Appreciate it!

• Like 1

Today pinch, just working to making set up good and comfortable to work with. As it comes out the the divice is not completely how I want it, but that's no big deal since I can adjust these small things. The setup is now 48mm which turns out to be a little bit better for my feeling. For working out I am going to use workinggloves which maybe throw the weights down tremendously, but that's just ego. I will need to work harder that way with much lower weights. My thumbs were having a hard time. :) When going for pr's I am ditching the gloves of course.

I want to start a program for this now, but I need to find out whether or not this will interfere with my gripperstrength. I need every ounce of forcing close for my goal to consistently CCS the #'3. I know I have the power but lately work, energy, whatever, seems to throw everything against me for feeling top notch. So no energy wasted to places where I don't need it to be.

Did some working sets for volume with the gloves around 40kg's in the end (gloves throw weight back bigtime). Without gloves I got 83 kg, which isn't that bad considering my gripperwork yesterday. I haven't done any real training with the Europinch so far, just setting up the device and testing.

90kg should be a reasonable goal, however grippers come first now. This needs to be out of the way.

Running this morning together with my wife who is doing an x weeks running program.

Haven't run in ages, but still I managed to run 4.9 km's (3.04 miles) in 35 minutes, Runkeeper says 36 but the telephone wasn't responding

so that cost us a minute. Still, not bad for my first run. No desire however to invest in more running but there is a reasonable base still.

I held my wife back in speed a little however. Sun in our back and nice temperature for the time of the year, this felt great afterwards.

Tomorrow last heavy DL session of my 531 cycle, that means I will have to rep it out with 160 kg / 352 lbs.

After that another 4 week cycle before having a week rest since I am going away for a midweek with my family.

Edited by Geralt

Kept it short tonight:

DL: Last working set as explosive as possible with 5 x 160 kg (352.72 bs).

Next week a deload week and after that one 4 week cycle again. Going to repeat this one, really want to get at least 8 x 160kg.

Probably could get around 180 - 195 kg DL balls out now, but that's not what I want.

Working on improving my base.

Some assistance work and bicepcurls pyramid.

Edited by Geralt

Got a new 220cm bar today, going to use it for deadlift and bench, now I can finally place my hands in a better position, the restinghandles were exactly on that spot of my bench.

531 Squats and bench (figuring out my new setup so didn't do 531 for bench).

Squats work set 114kg / 252 lbs;

Bench not going higher than 209 lbs;

Lying triceps extensions 3 x 6 @ 23 kg dumbbells;

Dips @ bw;

Ab wheel (haven't done that in a long time).

A: Freakishly sore abs because of that Ab wheel from hell. Man.

That said:

B: Finally had a decent grippersession today after three weeks of very weak hands, which doesn't make sense because my other training goes well, despite being busy with work and feeling not 100% in the headcold department. That all seems to have cleared up a bit now. Hopefully going uphill from here on again.

Workout

Shoulderpress (seated), working set @55kg. focus on repwork to get the CNS going.

Grippers

Warmed up to #3, which went very bad! Struggled through the motion. Quit training, drove car through carwash and picked grippers back up again :chris:

IM#3 1 x 1 MMS, now it felt better, so continued to work grippers.

Ghp7@ 155 lbs 5 x 1 true MMS working on closing it as hard as possible with short overcrush;

BBE @ 169 lbs (thought why not) 2 x 1, first time solid close! Second time handles touched for a second and than opened. Still, it's getting better. phew. Filmed the second attempt since I was doing fine, but as said, the close was less convincing and opened up almost immediately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wizPgfAXMro

IM#3 1 x 1 MMS, absolutely crushing the heck out of it;

Vulcan level 15 1 x 3 MMS;

Filed IM#2 1.5" blockset 1 x 20.

Lefty also experienced fall back last weeks and it felt nice to go solid level 14 again with the Vulcan. Left is still catching up and my elbow is starting

to feel better. Let's keep it that way.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Congrats on getting 2 with your elite...you'll have that CCS#3 consistently this year. Keep going

• Like 1

Congrats on getting 2 with your elite...you'll have that CCS#3 consistently this year. Keep going

Stupid thing is I also got close to closing my Ghp8 @176 lbs weeks ago. Don't have a clue what this fallback sh.t is. But I can handle such periods as long as the general line keeps going up.

Stupid thing is I also got close to closing my Ghp8 @176 lbs weeks ago. Don't have a clue what this fallback sh.t is. But I can handle such periods as long as the general line keeps going up.

Good, that GHP 8 will fall. Sometimes the body takes time to build and adapt. Keep an eye on your rest and look out...when you adapt from that training you'll see that Ghp8 go down! Keep on keeping on

• Like 1

Busy @ work, lot of things to do, end of the week my wife's off for a few days to Germany for work, so enough to do with the little girls combined with home and work.

yesterday workout

Week 1 of new 531 cycle.

DL last work set 10 x 148 kg / 326 lbs.

Goodmornings (60kg), EZ bar bicepcurls (50kg), Chins, abs.

Both workouts only the last workset noted here and main stuff done.

New 531 cycle:

Monday

DL 10 x 326 lbs / 148 kg;

goodmornings, chins, bicepcurls.

Tonight

Squat 5 x 231 lbs (yeah that sucks but I have lowered the weight a lot for my squats because they suck and I need room to grow)

Benchpress (first session started with benching 531) 10 x 85kg / 187lbs (strict and paused like they are meant to be).

Grippers filed IM#1 2 x 5 speedcloses mms;

filed IM#2 3 x 3 25mm blockset speedcloses with short overcrush.

Edited by Geralt

Coming days till wednesday I'm alone with my two girls. This makes not for the best training days. So decided

to do grippers this evening and Sunday evening my DL workout. I hate to rush in to training and having all kinds of other stuff to

do afterwards so it's all about time management :)

Didn't go for maxing out on singles with max grippers but centred all work around Ghp7 and IM#3.

Did so many doubles and singles around MMS that my skin is burning now.

Ghp7 3 x 2 MMS;

BBE 1 x 1 MMS;

IM#3 (unrated) 1 x 2 MMS;

IM#3 (oldest and hardest) 2 x 1 MMS;

IM#3 (149lbs) 2 x 1 overcrushes from MMS.

Filed IM#2.5 2 x 5 1.5" blockset.

Workout this morning instead of tomorrow, too much going next two days with daily life.

DL last workset 8 x 155kg (341lbs) (90% of 90% 1rm)

Chinups, many sets of bw x 4, as explosive as possible, really engaging the lats;

Biceps, many sets .

Ab wheel.

Next wednesday a good legday in a real gym is the plan.

Cancelled that gym plans I had, just to busy with daily life/work. So just trained @ home, while backing of with the squats, legs felt tired.

Next week is the last week of my 531 cycle so good DL work is my main concern.

That said, had a nice gripsession this morning, finally didn't need to rush into things, which makes for much better concentration.

Worksets with all my 3 IM#3's, Ghp7, and BBE. All good closes. Concentrating on 20mm work.

Also reps with my Vulcan @ level 15 Gold spring, and lower for volume.

Ended with my gripmachine, 4 x 10 @ 60kg @ 45mm (1.8" or so) handle width. A very nice finisher for crush.

Some assistance work, ended with tyre hammering outside. Wasted.

Short session, DL workout.

Last workset @ 165kg x 5. A little bit disappointed, since I was aiming for 8 reps. Maybe aimed a bit too high, but workset felt heavy.

Maybe a day of conference isn't the best CNS starter for the evening :chris:

Dumbbellrows afterwards, left it with that.

Next week is a scheduled deload and the week after that a week off with the family. I am going to hit upper body hard with isolation work next week

and then the week off for total training rest.

Edited by Geralt