Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Between nightshifts and busy getting stuff done around the homestead I didn't get any scheduled grip stuff done this week. Still after spending the past two days sawing down trees and dragging them back to the back of the homestead, it made me realize how crappy my endurance strength is.

Jon@han

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

:rolleyes Gripmaster it's ok that you can't do fifty billion wrist pushups yet :laugh

Seriously I've been contemplating Justa's barrel training for the strength endurance deficit and I finally got a blow torch so I can get into my barrel (that's a whole 'nother messy story involving a moldy rotten dishwasher removal).

I'm planning to bring some gripper parephenila into work tomorrow night so hopefully I'll finally have some grip training to report again.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

My lack of endurance isn't what really tags me when I am doing back handed push ups... its just the fact that pain does come when I am on the 7th or 8th one. On a side note are you still up for meeting us in the fall??

Did a little bending session tonight at work, got another staff member to bend the 5"40d spiral after he told me no way could he do it. My own bending is fustrating I seem to have lost my groove? can't seem to but enough force into any 1/4" steel bends I tried ended up having to brace them all. Might have to open with a coat hanger at Rick's contest :laugh

Gripmaster, Definitly!!!

Jon@han

I know you are having fun with tons of different exercizes; however, because of the title of this thread I'm gonna make a comment. I think you could have been mashing the #2 by now.

You are working grippers, pinch, bending, did I read thickbar too? Lots of diff. areas. I love training like this because I get to work everything I want to; however, I noticed I was making no progress on my #3. For me, I gotta focus to speed up progress. If your happy and having fun, keep doing everything. Havining fun is the whole point, it keeps you motivated.

Here's something else, do you have any of Warren's grippers? If you don't I'd recommend getting a Master, and a SM. You'll probably be able to just shut the Master, and negatives with SM will be more productive than doing neg's with the #3.

Always enjoy your training.

-HH

Depending on your goals, grip exercises can be contradictory. There's physical oddities with the neuro system and the hands that as of yet I cannot explain.

Thanks for the input HH, if anything I'm planning to add even more variety to my training which of course will slow down any specific gains but I'm hoping in the long term the pay out will be there. Wanna, I think anyone with some grip training under their belt would agree with your oddity statement ;)

Yesterday we had to loads of hay to bring into the barn at the inlaws which always proves to let me know how out of shape I'm really in. So embarassing, I remember doing that for days at a time helping my uncle but yesterday I was puffin' and sweating :blush

Anyways today I had another bending session and did much better managing a 5.5" 1/4" bend of the National stock which I hope will translate into 6" with the ironmind stock.

Jon@han

and did much better managing a 5.5" 1/4" bend of the National stock
:rock

Hey Jon i can understand your feelings. I love variety too.

At the time being i do :

- bending, two different styles,

- A lot of different pinching exercises,

- I work a lot my extensors and the "cisors muscles" (those that you use to move your fingers like a scissor),

- No set gripper workouts,

- Card tearing from time to time,

- wrist curls,

I kind of like grip training :whistel

Well done on the 5.5" bend :mosher

good work Jon

Thanks for the support guys, I'm itchin' for another session to make sure it wasn't a fluke ;)

I'm hoping to get back to more of my regular routine after Rick's contest.

Jon@han

It's never a fluke. If you bend one type of nail, it will only be easier the next time you do it. "The body won't go where the mind hasn't been". But then, once the body and mind have been there all ready, it turns into an easy bend. Too easy. My first huge-bend was exhilarating, but the second time I tried it, it was difficult but pretty normal to bend. The mind is the biggest obstacle. You know you can bend 5x1/4 HRS. The next one should be easy.

well I tried another session tonight at work...donno think the mind body connection got disconnected Bender I only managed to get 6.5" 1/4" u'd the 6" ....it was like I lost that precious groove again....very fustrating I hope it's just the ol' nightshift thing messing up my mental resources.

I can't wait for the day when I can bend the dark 60d nails that seem to be the only ones I can find. Damn cutting and measuring is a pain in the butt :laugh

On the positive side of things I squeezed my #2 shut with my right hand finally without bracing my arm on two occasions tonight.

Jon@han

well done on your gripping progress. i have read your posts and seen your grip strength grow. on a good day i can get my #2 coc to 5mm and today i picked it up and nearly closed it (the ends actually began to move away from eachother like the #1 does when i close it in my left). i find the main part of a crush is the power in the thumb, index finger and middle finger-as i can close the 1 with my small finger off the grip and get to 6mm with the small and ring fingers off of the gripper. i was told that the final part of actually closing a gripper is detrmined by the weaker fingers (ring and small finger) as these actually come in to play when the handles reach parallel and then help to close the handles.

to help the weaker fingers i use the grippers upside down and crush using just the thumb, ring finger and small finger-i also use blob lifting and blob catching with the same fingers-to help strengthen these weaker fingers. i have only been using this method for 1 week but when i picked up the #2 and gave it an average squeeze (no chalk or warmup) i was very shocked to see it nearly close.

hope this helps

stephen

Thanks for the comments on reverse gripping the grippers Stephen might be something I'll work into my routine when I get back on track. Taking this coming week off to rest up for the contest. Gripmaster....yes Amaury has already told me in a prior post that I need to knuckle down and start working with my #3 more!!

Jon@han

Here I am trying to take the week off of training, but had to do some simulated training today...just can't stand having the hands idle that long. So I ended up pruning some massive bushes with hand shears :laugh

Man I can't wait for the weekend, just got the car checked out for the trip, we're planning to take the scenic route to Punxy PA!!!

Jon@han

Monday heavy gripper training post BFGS wow what a weekend. My forearms were still a little sore today especially the extensor muscles....weird?

Anyhow the grip was pretty trashed but a made a go of it just the same:

T: x5 practicing setting the gripper each time....found out at the contest that my normal set is pretty much a no set :laugh but it's gonna take me some time to get the feel and groove after setting.

#1: x3 singles with setting attempts

#2: setting was tough got a single with my right left was 2mm away, x1 supported, x1 supported.

#2: penny stack holds time zero couldn't mash that gripper

tried some closes with my easiest PDA gripper x1 right only

trigger hand negatives: closed with all fingers then attempted to straighten my first two fingers so that all the stress is on the ring and pinky but I could only straighten my index finger and that was with the trainer!!! Tough exercise!!!!

Inverted gripper last 3 fingers Tx 3 singles, #1 x2 singles.

Outerlimit loops 12.5 x10 rows 3 sets.

Torched!!!

Jon@han

How in the heck can you train grip?? My hands are still FRIED!!!! Forearms, wrists, hands, etc. I have a tough time opening my protein jug let alone doing grip!

You are one bad mofo John! cant wait to watch the farmers footage-you were a MADMAN!!!!!

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks Steve and Rick!!! You guys are the best!!!!

I'll say it again my extensor muscles are torched more then the gripping ones but the grip was pretty weak compared to normal couldn't even get the #2 on the penny stack. I don't get why my extensors would be feeling it more then the grip side.

I saw so many awesome things done by so many of grippers at the contest after... just an incredible time!! Probably why I just had to train today

Jon@han