Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Gripmaster,

Yes it's true I shut Rick's filed #2 at the contest (and one of Dave's BTW) but he'll be the first to tell you it's been well used. My own #2 just got filed although I still have some more filing to do I think as I can still see the #2 on the handle. I can't believe what I difference it made with the extra range of motion!!! Tommy's #2 looks and felt like a #3!!! :yikes

Todays training:

wrist plate curl: 25x4, 25+5clamped x2, x2, x2, x0 man my hands were torched more then I thought from the contest also I haven't done these since aug 12. 25+2.5clamped x2 for 4 sets.

Plate pinch: 25x2 x3 swings, 25+35 x1 DL, 35x2 x3DL, 35x2+5 x1 break off the ground 2-3" left hand only.

2" barbell curl: 75x3, 85x3, 95x3, 105x3, 115x3 stopped then as my elbows were tinging.

Coffee can lift: numerous attempts got one break off the ground with my left hand. Torched!!!

Jon@han

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Jonathan,

I'm not a seasoned gripper since I've been doing this kind of training for

about eight months. I bought these grippers to help me with some sports

specific training. A lot of people are down on the sport sstore grippers,

but I have one that I find very helpful in pinch grip (what most

people call thumb and four fingers squeeze) and pincer grip (what I cal

a thumb and index finger squeeze. Another name?) training. The

sports store grippers are too easy for closing with a full hand of fingers.

The ironmind grippers are too strong for, ahem, MY pinch grip and

pincer grip training.

Those nice plastic grooves are perfect for all sorts of single

finger training. Your grip work should help you reach your strength goals.

I'm learning (slowly at that) from reading the comments of others in

that gripper training is specific to the gripper. While I hope to be

able to close the #3 some day, my primarily purpose is to improve

my hand strength for martial arts, specifically weapons practice.

So, I'm particularly interested in Close and Hold strength more than

Sweep strength. Be enlightened by a thorough post on the Sweep, Close and

Hold by Gorilla Hands.

Sting,

Thanks for reminding me about store bought grippers...I have one that I can do one finger closes on, maybe it will be perfect for pinky work.

I highly reccomend you start your own training log it's a great motivator!

Wish Gorrila hands still posted.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316
Yes it's true I shut Rick's filed #2 at the contest (and one of Dave's BTW) but he'll be the first to tell you it's been well used.

Hey John... In my books a #2 is a #2... it may be weaker from extensive use but you still closed it.

P.S Me and my brother are training hard for your visit... my brother can already do 35 reps on the #2!!!

gripmaster,

I can still only close my #2 cleanly (without bracing my arm) when the planets are aligned etc. :laugh

yesterdays training:

Decided to start working on several bending styles at once ala Amaury ;) besides my personal style seems to be hit or miss.

First off my regular style 5"40d's U'd five of them.

Next was the hand over hand style that Smitty gave me tips on at the contest. As I still want to get the groove of this I started with 5"x3/16" U'd 4 of these then tried a 40d with success.

Last I tried the underhand style favoured by big Steve following the same nails as the hand over hand work. The 40'd was a bit more challenging for me in this position.

finished with some self resistence extensor work, had hoped to try some wire cutting but I was too lazy to go out to the back of our property :laugh

Today, I showed the gang at work the footage I had from the contest and after our psychologist brought up his hand dynameter to try. Managed a pretty consist 70kg squeeze on it, appears that it only can read up to 100kg. Hope to try it again in say 6 months from now and see if I improve on it.

Jon@han

Jon@han

Thurs training:

#1: held for 5 count

#1 Ruler hold: 2.5lbs x5count, 7.5 held for 5 count x5 sets, then 4 more sets with practicing setting the gripper first...man I need some work on that :blush

PDA gripper: easiest one I have feels like it's between my #1 and #2 and the scale says the same thing: 4 singles two were braced.

Block wt:

20lbs x10 full arm swings both at once.

30lb ers held for 10 count after deadlift 3 sets.

Thumb curls 10lbs on twine x5 sets of 10. Man these are hard not to cheat on!!

Todays workout:

Finally got some spare free weights so I can set my ezcurl bars up for some farmer walks:

300lb (+bars?) from my front yard to the front of the paddocks. set them down 4 times :blush I kid you not but I found this harder on my hands then Rick's insane farmer bars, I think it's the bar's shape. At that point I took the 25lb plates off the bar leaving me with 200 lbs total and I finished carrying them into the paddocks and into the little barn.

pinch carried the 25's for 2 sets to the barn.

Inside I went to plate curls:

25x4, 35x4 reps for 5 sets torched !!! Hope to work up to my previous best in this exercise again.

2" barbell lockouts: Big PR today!!!! I think I'm still full of energy from the contest!

75x1, 165x1, 215x1, 255x1, 305x1 -kindof a pr as this was with open grip but I think I cheated too much with my thigh. reverse grip I worked up to a PR of 515lb!!!! the Rom was only 2" but still I'm pretty excited!

Finished with some shot rotations both ways.

Jon@han

Today was my heavy coc training day:

No trainer warmup as Sandi took it to work, she is getting close to shutting it and is hoping to get the #1 by next year.

#1: pinned for 5 count

#2 filed: x3 single attempts all were a few mm' off. another 4 singles were assisted shut then I held them at about the same mm' away for 3-4second negatives.

#3: held at 1cm with my left hand only

PDA 1.5? rulerhold: 2.5lbx5count, 5x5count, 7.5x5count, 10xlift only quickly slipped out of handles.

ISG: decided to try some haven't touched it in a while. @127 pinned for 10count, 139 pinned for 10 count

Outerlimit loops: 12.5 x10rows 3 sets.

Finger plate pinches: 5lb all but pinky were able to cycle through holds without setting plate down to regrip, 10lb plate I had to set down to regrip between each finger, pinky was of course a no go.

Jon@han

10lb plate I had to set down to regrip between each finger, pinky was of course a no go.

That's interesting Jon, cause you should be able to do that easily considering your grip strength level on the whole. My guess is that you have weak rings and pinkies. You should try to do some inverted reps with just pinky and ring on a #1 or a #T. It may explain why you haven't destroyed that #2 yet ! And also do some singles on the #3 too ;)

Train hard mate,

Amaury.

Thanks for the input Amaury, I've actually tinkered on my off days with inverted closes with just my ring and pinky finger. After several sessions of it I'm able to close my trainer this way on a good day not even close with the #1. I think some of it has to do with my crappy flexibility, Sandi is even able to pinch a 10lber with her pinky.

Yesterday's training:

Wristplate curl: 25x3, then instead of clamping plates I just used two clamps @2.5lbs each for 8 sets of 3 reps.

Plate pinch: my thumbs were sore from wrestling with patients so I whimped out on my attempts at increasing my volume on this exercise

(25x2) x2 deadlifts, (35x2) x1 deadlift, (45x2) two hand lifted then I did a series of release and regrip (pretty quick :laugh ) for 4 releases with my right hand and 3 with my left -managed to keep the whole mess off the ground the whole time....maybe one day I'll get those guys up one handed.

Finished with some block tosses: 20lbs x10, 30lbs x10 (underhand)

Today Wed. workout bending session:

My usual style: started with 5" 40d's x5, then I added some ultra skinny stock that I taped to a 40d x1, then I tried 2 skinny rods with the 40d and got the monster bent out of shape with some major bracing to get it started.

Hand over hand: 3/16x5" x1, 40d's x5

Underhand: 40d's x5

Broke down and wrapped the whole nail for the handoverhand and underhand style.

Tried to finish the workout with some wirecutting but the damn wire I have left is so tough it's mangling my wire cutters so I quit with only cutting a piece or two, I'll have to break down and buy some superduper cutters just to clean up the mess. Makes the back of the property look like Sanford and Son.

Jon@han

wow jon your hard work is really paying off. Did you say you could plate curl 35lbs 5 reps?!?!?, I can almost get it up once.

Strongman,

Haven't tried to do reps with my 35lp plate lately as I'm using additional resistence with the plate in my workouts...should think I could get 5 fairly easily now.

Todays workout:

#1 rulerhold @10lbs: held for 5 count 10 sets, last five were with attempts at proper setting of the gripper.

my easy pda gripper one rep

collar spring thumb work: must have strained my thumbs at work the other day as they are still weak as all get out. Did some squeeze and holds couldn't shut the things.

Blockweights: as my thumbs were delicate I decided on some partial movements and did wrist curls with the blocks: 20lbs x10, 30lbsx10L 7R, x10L 8R

2.5" dumbell bentover rows@100lbs 3reps 7 sets.

Jon@han

Last nights training:

My back was pretty torched so I skipped the farmer walks and lockouts.

Platecurl: 25x4, 35x5 for 4 sets and for 4 reps an additional two sets.

2"barbell wrist curls: first time trying these wow!!! :yikes 75x10, 95x10, 105x6, x8

Reverse wrist curl with 2": x1 just slightly past sticking point couldn't get a full rom

V-bar lift: still have to get some Pvc pipe to construct a proper one, tried some just with an old standard dumbell bar...very humbling as I couldn't lift very much this way even with such a skinny bar. 55x1, 105x1, 145x1 left only right couldn't budge it.

Shot rotations: x15, x8 reverse direction...find this very tough dropped them quite a few times.

Jon@han

Today's heavy coc training:

#3: jumped right to it this time, working on setting it better assisted shut with my thigh then held for 5 count about 1cm from closed 4 sets. One final set and my left hand felt strong held at 1/2cm for 5 count.

Filed #2: five sets held for 5 count at 1/2cm away.

PDA (1.5?) ruler hold: @7.5 x5 count, @10lbs x5 count, x1 count

ISG: 143(7,5) pinned for 10count, 147(9,2) same, 148(8,4) same

Outerlimit loops: 15lbs x10rows four sets

Fingertip pushups: only one hand in this position other was palm down, 5 singles each hand. I find this very scary feels like my fingers will snap...fingerpad pushups are so much easier.

Jon@han

Today's grip training:

wrist plate curls: 25x5, 25+2 c-clamps(30lb total) x5 reps for 4 sets, 4 reps for 2 sets and one set of really crappy form 3 reps

Plate pinch: (25x2) x2 swings, (35x2) held for 10 count, 35+45 broke off the ground left hand very briefly right was no go, (35x2) xheld for 10 count, (35x2+5lbs) x2count left Right heldbriefly but couldn't lift it up without help, (35x2) held for 10count

Then I was going to do the rubber ball squeeze described in dinosaur training but I didn't have one handy so I squeezed the hand towle I have that's paritally coated in duct tape: x10 seconds, x20seconds, x20 seconds....man I found this tough I have no endurance.

Jon@han

hey jon i've been working on my plate curling i can now do 35lbs, and to update u on my grip progress, i can close #3 two reps, and 1/8 with my left, i'm getting cetified this coming saturday.

Good work Strong man you have had quite some success over the time since joining this board!!!

Have you tried a 45 yet just for fun? It still feels like a million miles away to me. I find the next plate up is always harder not just because of the weight and torque thing but because the gripping surface is always different for each plate.

Jon@han

Bending session last night:

My style: bent 40d's 3 times, then 40d +skinny rod taped to it think it's 1/8th , then big pr 40d with 2 skinny rods taped to it just a little bracing to get it started.

Also braced bent one of the big ol nails big steve gave me...thanks for the metal it was fun...think it'd be a while before I can do one of those without my leg innvolved!!

Hand over hand: just did 5 40d's still can't get a good groove feeling for that one

Underhand: only one 40d bent....hands were torched from all the other stuff I guess.

Shot rotation: Just for fun I tried to do them overhand :laugh Ended up doing them in a series of lifts. in each hand position...no way I could actually rotate them that way....yet !!!! :laugh

V-bar lift: got to try a better way to load the bar...with chain the plates just go vertical and I'm not tall enough to break them off the floor then :blush

Jon@han

Have you tried a 45 yet just for fun?

lol i try it all the time but i can't even move it lol... i'll just stick with my 35lbs thank you very much. :rock

Brought my grippers into work yesterday so I was a little sore from showing off :rolleyes

But I still gave the workout a go once I got home.

1#: pinned for 5 count

1# rulerhold@12.5lbs: 10 sets of holds for 5 count (don't know if I mentioned this or not but I was too tired of not making progress on the difficult ruler hold because the metal is so slick even 2.5lbs was tough so that any training I have done with the ruler over 5lbs has been with a piece of tape on it to give a little texture.

Block wts: 20lbs x10 swings overhead both hands at once

30lbs x1 overhead and one deadlift both hands at once

35lb block finally got this thing off the ground again it's been a while, 5 singles overhead one arm at a time.

2.5" dumbell rows 101.25lbs x3 reps for 5 sets

8lbs sledge hammer curl: tried this for the first time last night fun exercise, did two sets of 8 reps first with my hand in the middle then just below that grip tough!!!!

Jon@han

Fridays workout:

Farmer's walk: tried to lift my ezcurl bars loaded at 150lbs but it was just totally killing my delicate hands so after a couple of steps I took the 25's off leaving me with a 100lbs on each bar. walked about 25yrds did a turn around an old stump that's turned into a bush in the pen. This toasted me so I had to put the bars down twice on the way back.

Back inside for more training:

Platecurl: 25x5, 35+clamp x3 for 6 sets.

2" barbell lockouts: 75x1, 165x1, 255x1, 305x1 barely overhand grip...lot's of thigh sliding for that last one,

inverted gripp 345x1, 415x1, 465x1, 515x1, 535x1, 555x0 another pr for this exercise!!!!

plate clean: tried this for the first time: 25x6, 35x3,x3,x3 tried a 45 but it's too wonky for me to feel safe yet.

Jon@han

Got a double whammy against training this week, I'm on nights and I did something to my left shoulder...so no exercise other then some grip stuff for me this week.

Heavy coc day:

#3: ended up doing 7 negatives with it holding it at the 1cm mark for 5 count each hand. Had more trouble setting it this week compared to last.

#2 filed: hands felt torched after the #3 couldn't seem to generate much force to shut so did some assisted closes 6 sets.

Tried some rulerholds with my pda easy gripper but couldn't even keep it closed on the ruler :blush

ISG: @148(8,4) pinned for 10 count, @157(9,3) assited shut and pinned for 10count

Outerlimit loops: garbage this week...@15x10L, 5R, x5, @10lbs x10,x10,x10

Thumb board: As Brookfield describes in that quarterly mag. Tried it with some trim (longest piece of wood I had) and it just bent without lifting the weight, so I switched to a spring clamp and did 3 sets of doubles, and 4 singles. Can't open the clamp all the way yet.

Jon@han

So tired I was close to barfing today so no training to report....on the positive side of things Sandi finally closed the trainer at her work today!!!!

Jon@han

I had the same problem with the metal ruler doing strap holds with my filed down grippers. Really hard to hang on to. I put a piece of duct tape on it to help.

Ah yes where would we be without duct tape!!!...I've been using electrical tape but the shearing forces caused by the weight pulling down and my crappy crush usually cause the tape to rip off after a few attempts...I'll give the duct tape a try, thanks for posting that bballad!

Today's training post nightshift:

Had a great one here's how it went.

Plate wrist curl: went for a max attempt. (2x10)x4, 25x2, (25+2.5clamped)x1, (25+3.75clamped)x1, (25+5clamped)x1, (25+6.25clamped)x1, (25+7.5clamped)x1 (25+8.75clamped)x1 -this is a total of 36.25lbs big pr for me!!!!! I tried a 35lb plate and only managed to do a very good negative.

Plate pinching 1handed: (25x2) x1 row, (35x2)x12 deadlift singles.

Bending:

Had some fun again today working on the different styles:

my style: 40d 5" x1, +1/8th x1, +2x1/8th" x1 with minimal bracing!!!

National 1/4" stock x6.75" x1

Metal supermarket 1/4" stock 6.5" braced

One of the nails Big Steve gave to me with just a hint of bracing.

5" of the metal supermarket stock kinked only

Hand over hand: felt stronger in this style today then the last few tries

40d 5" x4

National stock 1/4"x6" x1

Metal Supermarket stock 1/4" x6" x1 PR

Underhand:

40d 5" x6

National 1/4" x6" x1 PR in this style!!!

Block weight overhand catches:

20lbs x10

30lb x10....but each catch was controlled to the ground and lifted again, grip is not solid enough not to take them to the ground each time.

I'm pumped from this workout!!!!!

Jon@han