Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Good old strept throat again so I didn't do any workouts on Wed, thurs so I bumped my Coc work to today, Friday. So no plate curl to report this week. Here's the moderate Coc work I did today:

T: x1

#1 1.25lbs x5 reps for 10 sets. I had planned to work up to 10 reps for 10 sets but I think next week I'll try adding a bit of weight to the handle instead.

Farmer's hold with 170lbs in each hand 2 sets of 15 seconds. Pretty wimpy really, think I'll keep the weight here until I can get at least 30 seconds out of it.

ISG@147(9,2) x10reps. My right hand needed slight assistance for a few of the reps.

All in all not bad considering I just got on antibiotics

Jon@han

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Mon, heavy Coc training day:

T:x1

#1:x1

#2: 5 singles. Finally shut it without supporting my wrist with my right hand, left still needs that placebo to squeeze hard.

ISG@190(10,4?): shut with micro assistance

#3: attempt down to 1cm Right hand!!!!

#2: 12 more singles some with my left required assistanced shut.

Outerlimit loops: 12.5lbs x10 rows 4 sets strict style.

Great workout...I'm on nights for two weeks and just after getting sick so hopefully I'll be able to maintain or go forward.

Jon@han

Wrist plate curls this afternoon when I got up:

25lb plate x4

25lb 2.5lbs c-clamped: x3, x3,, x3, x2, ,x2, ,x2 -form was getting pretty shakey

25lb c-clamp: x3, x3, x3, x3

Felt pretty good!

Jon@han

A few things to post today. On Wed, did my weeks bending training and had a pr, u'd two 3/16"x5" pieces of hot rolled steel taped together. This is so weird as the yellow is still unbendable for me without bracing? I'm thinking I do better with shorter pieces of steel?

Claw Curl: finger curls 60lbs x10, x10, x10

Thursday: Coc Moderate day

#1 2.5lbs: 3 reps x10 sets

ISG@148(8, 4) x9 reps

Outerlimit Loops 12lbs x10 rows for 2 sets strict style.

I then spent the day helping my friends move, my forearms kept cramping up near the elbow joint.

Today, Friday

Plate Curl: 25lb x4, 35lb x3 reps for 10 sets. The edge of my thumbs are all blistered up now.

Barbell wrist curl: 45x10, 75x10, 105 x10, x10

Reversed wrist curl: 45x10, 65 x10

Cooked

Jon@han

Today was my heavy Coc training post night shift with little sleep as I have to switch to day shift this week. Can't complain though, felt like a productive workout.

#1: x1

#2: 5 singles, still having that need to touch my wrist to completely shut it with either hand.

ISG@190(4,10) x1

#3: assisted shut x1

#2: 10 singles

#2: 5 sets of 4-5 reps partial range of motion to focus on the close a bit as Eric had mentioned he had done in his training prior to getting certified. These feel pretty good so I might keep them in my training.

Outer Limit Loops: 15lbs x10 rows for 4 sets strict style.

Jon@han

Todays training:

Wrist Plate curls: 25lb x3, 25 2.5clamped x3 for six sets, 25 clamp for 4 sets. Can't quite get the 10 sets of 3 with 2.5clamped but I'm gettting there.

Plate pinch: 25x2 4 swings. 35x2 x1 deadlift, 35x2 2.5x2 x1 budge off the ground Right hand only. 35x2 2.5 x1 deadlift held for 6 count, x 1budge, 35x2 x10count, x1deadlift, x1 budge.

Suitcase hold 2inch thick bar: 75 x10count, 95 xsame, 120 xsame, xsame, x1 budge.

Shot rotation (2x6lbs) x50 rotations 40 were standing and 10 were with my elbow supported, both hands.

Jon@han

Thursday was my moderate coc day here's how it went:

#1 2.5lbs five reps for 10 sets so I'll bump the weight up next week!!

ISG@8 4 (148) 10 reps very easy

Farmer's hold with easy curl bars 185lbs on each bar x9 second hold

Should mention my bending on Wed. Not as sucessful as last week. Bent 3/16"x5" rods u'd x4. Tried cutting 1/4" down to 6" but couldn't budge it, tried bending 2 3/16"x5" rods taped together again but only made a kink in them....seemed that my form was struggling this week, couldn't hold my wrists/hands fingers tight this week.

Fridays workout:

Plate curl: 25lb x4, 35lb x4reps x10 sets!!! Think I'll add a bit of weight next week.

Barbell wrist curl: 45x10, 65x10, 85x10, 95x10, 110x10, x10

Reverse curl: 45x20

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

I find you CoC workout very intriguing... why do you press your hand against your thigh when attempting a three??? As well... Obviously other people have different methods but I tend to avoid anything with the T or #1. For me its a waste of strength. Since I can smash a two (even David Morton style) I go straight to the three and give it all I got... Sometimes I give too much i.e. I can get neck pain (for some reason).

P.S. Morton style is closing a gripper without using your other hand for adjustment (its harder then you think).

Edited by gripmaster316

Gripmaster,

Ya, I got a weak grip so I can't close my #3 yet without jamming it against my leg. The best I've gotten is 1cm without jamming.

I still need to touch my wrist with my free hand to shut my #2 completely with either hand :(

I think it'll be a while before I can do a no set close(Morton style) with the #2 as you describe!!!!.

If you have a #4 you should try the thigh jamming technique for a negative...a lot of people here swear it helped them shut the #3.

Jon@han

Today's heavy Coc training day:

#2: x5 singles

ISG@193 (can't remember the settings) x1 assisted shut

#3: attempt miserable not worth mentioning, x1 assited shut

#2: x6 singles, x4 sets of 3-4reps close position.

This is less volume then I hoped, didn't even match last weeks. I cut some wire for about 1/2hr on the weekend, it seems to really fry my grip for the grippers after.

Outerlimit loops: 17.5lbs x8 rows, x4 rows strict style

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

You seem to be making fun of the #2, have you tried grabbing your wrist while closing the #3?? Its not quite like pressing it against your thigh but its still pretty cool. Try some no set close's with the 2.

Edited by gripmaster316

Gripmaster,

My progression goals with the coc's is to get 30 singles with the #2 in a workout before I start really focusing on the #3. I had tried earlier to focus on the #3 but found I was having nasty side effects on my joints/connective tissue...basically my hands felt like my grip was a limp dishrag for a few days after. Not good in my job.

Woke up this afternoon (working the ol' nightshifts again this week) and got a great workout in despite not getting much quality sleep in.

Platewrist curl: 25lb+2.5lbs c-clamped far side (weighed the toal on my scale at 30lbs) 8 sets of 3 reps!!! followed by 2 sets of 3 reps with 25lb and just the c-clamp!!!

Plate pinching: (35x2) x1 deadlift, (35x2+2.5lbx2) x1 budge left hand only, right failed, (35x2+2.5lb )x 1 deadlift, failed, (35x2)x hold for 10count, x8count, 8count

2inch barbell suitcase hold: 75x10count, 95x10count, 115x10 count, 125x10count (left only right lifted but couldn't hold for time), x8count left only right broke off the rack only.

Shot rotation: 2x6lbs x50 rotations standing.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Getting thirty singles was my objective as well... One day I said I would do it, and in one hour I did 35-40 singles. After that I said to myself that the 2 was history and its time to advance. my PR with the 3 isn't even that good so I won't state it.

P.S Have you ever thought about not training your grip every day of the week??

Gripmaster,

Yes, I've thought about cutting back to a twice a week routine or so but here I am still doing somekind of grip activity 5 days a week. Seems that their isn't that much overlap in what I'm doing currently, my recovery feels fine generally. When I had been using the grippers three times a week and using block weights/pinching plates all in the same week my recovery went in the toilet.

Today was my bending day, dragged my butt out of bed at 1300, terrible sleep with the dog barking and the phone ringing all morning, can't wait to get back to day shift, anyways here's how it went:

U'd 6 3/16x5" cold rolled

U'd a 1/4" threaded rod of 6" steel works brand. This is much better then the National threaded rods. It u'd nicely like a regular rod, I find the National ones just snap as the inner material looks like something other then metal???

I also had various attempts at 1/4 rods, thick nails which were pretty much isometric exercise :blush

Tried two 3/16 x5" rods taped together again but only managed a slight kink. I think I sweat just as much at this as I do with heavy barbell work!

Claw curl finger curls: 35x10, 60x10, x10, x10

Jon@han

Today was my moderate Coc training day:

#1+5lbs dangling off the fingerside handle: 3reps for 10 sets.

I'm loving this exercise, I figure once I get my #3 down to 3-4 mm then I'll alternate with strap holds. For now though I'll train like a curler and work on my "sweep" :stuart

ISG@157 (9,3): 8 reps

That's it for this week, I'm off to Michigan speedway this weekend to watch the nascar race!

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Ahhh nascar... did you see Jeff Gordon drive the BMW Williams F1? He drove it pretty good.

Good luck with your busy hand strength sessions.

Monday and Tuesday's training reports:

Heavy Coc day:

T:x1

#2: x5 singles

ISG@193 (2,11) left, right needed slight assitance shutting

#3: x1 forced rep

#2: x10 singles, x2 assisted reps

Outerlimit loops: 20lbs x10, x10, x8 strict style

Kindof dissapointed I wasn't able to get more volume in with the #2, I think my weekend at Michigan International speedway wasn't as restfull as it should have been ;)

Tuesday:

Plate wrist curl: 25lb x4, 25lbs+2.5clamped x3 for 10 sets finally!!!! :)

Plate pinch: 25x2 curl attempt -pathetic swing really,

35x2 - one deadlift each hand

35x2 +2.5x2 left full lift, right budge only, left only

35x2 +2.5 x1 break off the ground each hand

35x2 held for 10 count, x10 count, x one deadlift

I feel like I'm back on track with how well I was doing with plate pinching before I got obsessed with grippers, maybe I'll get the coveted 2x45lbplates this year after all !!!

Jon@han

Edited by Jonathan McMillan

Wed grip training report:

My bending day went as last week with the 1/4" pieces being futile isometric exercise. U'd 6 3/16"x5" cold rolled steel rods inbetween my barbell work. Made a dent in two 3/16"x5" rods taped together. U'd 1/4" threaded rod two times. Finally I grabbed two gutter spikes and u'd them taped together. I'm hoping that working with thicker diameters will help me get that mindset that I can U 1/4" rods.

Claw curl finger curls: 35x10, 62.5 x9, x9, x9

Jon@han

Yesterday was my moderate coc work I added weight and went for 5 rep sets again this week:

#1+7.5lbs x10 sets of 5 reps!!!!

ISG@161 (1,10) x6 reps

Today friday's workout:

Platecurl: 25x5, 35lb 10 sets of 5 reps!!!! I'll be adding weight to my plate curl next week probably just my c-clamp and hope to get at least 3 reps a set.

barbell wrist curl: 45x10, 65x10, 85x10, 95x10, 105x10, 115x9 rom seemed to drop off for my last set so I'll try to hold myself back next week and stay at this weight.

Reverse wrist curl: 50x20reps

Jon@han

Monday was my heavy gripper training, was feeling lazy after work but I tricked myself to just do "a little bit" and ended up having a productive workout:

#2: tried a rep with 1.25lbs hanging off the handle and got one rep each hand. A real battle though and I still have to support my arm with my free hand with my left or right.

#2: 4 singles. Got a few grinds with my right hand...no clicks with my left.

ISG@193(2,11): left mashed it, right needed assistance

#3: pathetic attempt, an inch away with either hand

#2: 6 singles followed by 9 assisted shut closes and brief free hold. These assisted shut closes were done in sets of 3 with each hand.

Outer limit loops: 12.5 x10 rows, 22.5 x3 rows, 12.5x10, x10, x10, x10

Funny, seemed to hit a wall with the loops and my unassisted shuts with the #2 was less then last week as well so I might focus on just getting the volume anyway I can up to 30 with the hopes of eventually getting the volume completed without assistance.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Curious John, you seem to be a strong pincher, can you pinch 2 25's with two fingers???? I managed to get them off the ground a couple of days ago.

Gripmaster,

Can't say if I can do that yet as I've never tried. Plate pinching is fun though ain't it? I usually grab the 2x25lb plates for warmups by attempting to curl them ala bender53, but I usually only end up getting a few feeble swings.

Have to report my last few days training, didn't get a chance to go online:

Tues:

Platewristcurl: 25x3, 25+2.5clamped (30lbs total) x5, x4,x4,x3,x3,x3,x2 pooched!!! Felt like my wrists were going to snap off so I didn't get nearly the volume in this week I wanted to.

Plate pinch: 25x2 for 2 swings, 35x2 held for 10 count, 35x2+2.5x2 left only, 35x2+2.5 x1 deadlift, 35X2 x1 deadlift

Wed:

Claw Curl finger curls: 30x10, 65x10, x8

Bending: just stuck with my new box of 5" 40'd spirals ended up u'ing 15 of these between my barbell workout sets. Tried a 1/4" 7" steel and again it was an isometric workout.

Thurs, today:

Coc moderate work

T: x1 held for an easy 20 seconds

#1+10lbs 3 reps for 10 sets.

My wrists still feel a bit delicate from Tues and wed, hopefully by friday they'll be up to full speed.

Jon@han

Well Friday's workout went just fine!!:

Platecurl: 25x5, 35+c-clamp x2 reps for 10 sets. Finally put some more weight on this exercise, hope to work up to 5 rep sets again before I put more weight on.

Barbell wrist curl: 45x10, 65x10, 85x10, 95x10, 105x10, 115x10 felt much better this week so I might try adding weight next week.

Reverse barbell wrist curl: 55x17

Also u'd 9 of my 40'd 5" spirals.

Jon@han