Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

You might be overtrained, Jonathan. Do you have any built in "off days" in your routine? Yeah, I know this is not the most popular idea on this forum - just my personal opinion that you need a break in your training (or to change your routine).

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Yes indeed Sybersnott I'm feeling overtrained again, so I will be cutting back slightly on the gripper training. back to a 3 day a week training with them might cut this down to twice a week so I can focus on other grip related activities. I had been getting a consistent plate pinch of 2x35 extra weight but lately I can barely budge the 2x35's off the ground.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

How many weeks so far have you been continuously been using the grippers and other forms of exercise?

LJ

I think it's safe it's been a few months, with the recent ones a very strong focus on grippers, I cut out thick bar work all together, even stopped working with the block weights.

I miss these things so I'm strongly considering cutting back on my gripper usage as I do even more then what I post here.

Jon@han

Oh man I think I need help, I had been telling myself that it was time for a layoff and to take this week off from training with the grippers and here I am posting todays hard Coc training day:

T:x1

#1: x1

ISG@179 (3 10): x1left, x1assisted shut R

#2: x1 !!!!Yes!!!

#3: Forced shut x1, x1, x1, x1, x1

#2: x1 (left needed assistance), x1, x1 assisted, x1 (right assisted), x1 (left assisted)

ISG@137 (8, 3): x15 reps

Outer limit loops rows: 27.5lbs x10, x10, x10, x10

Going to start focusing on the #3 more now on my heavy day and I think this was a good start in that endeavor

Jon@han

Coc light day:

T: 5reps x15 sets. I varied the arm position all over while doing these. Including some in the hammerlock position behind my back :laugh

ISG@148(8,4) 5 singles

Clawcurl: 25x10, 45x10,x10,x10 finger curls

ISG@137(8, 3) x15 reps

Forced myself to not touch the grippers at all on my off days this week, maybe by doing this I can hold off a total layoff for a while.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

I know I haven't got as much experience as some, but with 9 yrs. of experience with Iron under my belt, I would highly reccommend that you take no less than 1 COMPLETE week off from every weighlifting activity. I myself do this religously every 10-12 weeks. I read one of your posts entailing that you haven't done so in a couple of months. Your body will thank you for it. Just my 2 cents.

L.J.

Edited by HandsofStone

Coc medium training today

T: x1

#1SH@3.75 x8count, x1count

#2: x5 singles assisted shut the last 2mm. held for 5 count

SOS: 102 x1, x1, 303 x1 forced shut, xforced shut, 402 xforced shut, xforced shut

ISG negative 235(2, 10) x1

Claw curl: 25lbs x10, 55lbs x9, x6

Pooched.

Jon@han

Monday was my heavy Coc training day. I'm at work so I can't remember the settings on the ISG but the rest of my workout should be easy enough to recall.

ISG@180ish something or other: x1 assisted shut

#2: attempt with assisted shut

#3: forced shut for 7 singles hope to work the volume up over 10 eventually. Also, I would also like to slow the release down more.

#2: assisted shut for 7 singles with a 5 count hold

ISG@next setting above 137: x10 reps

Outerlimit loops: did these with two forms.

First I did them strictly with only the fingertips in the loops for 10lbs x10 rows, 12.5lbs x10, x10, x10

Second, did these in my usual looser style jammed my didgits past the first knuckle 30lbs x10, x10, x10

Felt good, figured I missed on my #2 attempts since I was cutting wire for about an hour on Sunday.

Jon@han

Coc light training today:

T: 10reps x15 sets!! Again I did these in all different arm positions including some behind my back.

ISG@157(9,3) x1, x1assisted shut hmm...too tired from the T work?

ISG@139(9,1) x9reps. again hands are getting lazy.

Claw curl: 25x10, 45x10,x10,x10 finger curls

Left elbow feels a little tweaky, think a did something 'rasslin the donkeys down so we could give them antibiotics last night and this morning.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

What happened?? :mellow You're last post was back on the 16th.... then nothing. You o.k.?? Check in; I miss reading about your progress! :(

Yes indeed men, I took some time off training finally, I was getting pains in the back of my hands and my grip was pathetic at times, especially after 'rasslin' donkeys ;) I'm working the nightshift so I'm going to give a try at some trainer closes tonight.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

How does grippin' donkeys compare to using the grippers? :laugh

Ok Just finished a light coc workout here's what I did:

T: 13 sets of 15 reps in 20 minutes.

No other work as I'm at work and I don't have my other goodies with me. Also I forgot to vary my arm position for the reps like I have done in previous workouts.

Sybersnott, the hand holding on to the halter is the one that take the most punishment this is a tight grip so it would be working the close? Usually I'd grab the halter on the opposite side that I'm facing so that my forearm is over their nose. Then I twist the neck a bit grab the far leg and push them over and I fall on top of the neck and shoulders. I then hold on for dear life so they can't kick while we give them the antibiotic injection. But that's all finished up on the weekend.

Jon@han

Coc medium training today:

#2: x1 right, close attempt left

#1 1/2lb resistence via hay twine and weight: x1,x1,x1

#1 5lb resistence: x1,x1, x1attempt

#2: x1 right, attempt left with a forced shut, forced shut for 3 singles

Outerlimit loops: 15lbs strict style for 10 second hold

35lbs fingers wedged in deep x 8 rows

No claw to report today.

Jon@han

Yesterday Heavy Coc:

#2: left 2mm, right closed

ISG@181 x1, @212? assisted shut

#3: hands sore went for a forced shut against my leg and I couldn't do it :blush

#2: 5 singles assisted shut with a solid negative.

ISG@139 x10 reps

Outer limit loops:

Strict style 10lbs x10 second hold, 1/2lb x10 rows x3

Loose style 30lbs x10

I think my hands were tired from playing with my modified hardy handshake.

Jon@han

Well it's time to reel in a bit on the gripper training...I'll now be aiming for one heavy day of training and one light/medium training day a week so I can focus more on other grip activities. My pinch grip has gone in the toilet since my obsession with the grippers started. I'll probably use Monday for my heavy day and Thurs for the light/medium day. Here's how todays heavy Coc work went..quite a sucess I felt:

#2: x10 singles -most of these I had to support my wrist for the final mm on the crush, still this is an amazing jump in progress for me. Most weeks it's been hit or miss on a crush attempt with the #2.

ISG@181(5,6) assisted shut x1

Lumley gripper: x1 assisted shut

#3: x1 pathetic negative

HardyHandshake modified(HH for now on) last inch of rom 52.5lbs x10seconds, x10seconds, x10secs, x10xecs I think I have to file down the inner handles a bit more still.

Outerlimit loops: 3lbs x10 rows strict style (fingertips only) x4 sets

35lbs x8 rows loose style (kunckles right in the loops)

Jon@han

Today was my moderate Coc training day:

#1 with 1.25lbs -6 reps, then 6 sets of 3 reps.

Let me explain this exercise. I found a better way to hang weights off the handle gripped by the fingers. If I grip the gripper with the finger side facing the ground then hanging a weight off of this handle increases the resistance signifigantly. I use hay twine as it doesn't take much room on the handle.

Outerlimit loops: 6.25lbs x10 rows, 3 sets strict style.

ISG@139 (9,1) 10 reps

This cut back on gripper work seems to be helping me on my other grip related endeavours.

Jon@han

Yesterday was my heavy Coc training day, here's how it went:

#2: 5 single crushes

ISG@181(5,9): finally shut it without assistance so maybe I can hit 200 again

#3: attempt estimate about 1.5cm away from a shut PR!

#2: 5 single crushes, followed by 5 assisted shut

Modified HH: 55lb last inch of rom attempt...couldn't budge it. 50lbs x10count

Outerlimit loops strict style 7.5lbs x10 rows four sets.

Jon@han

Today, Thursday moderate Coc training:

#1 1.25lbs hanging off finger handle Which is nearest the ground: 10 3 rep sets, unfort. some of these were with my wrist supported for my left hand only. Right had little difficulty.

Farmer's implement hold: 150 in each hand x 30 seconds. Just wussed out the grip was no where near failing, just couldn't handle the pressuer on my fingers :blush Figure I'll start posting some of my training for the Battle of Grip Supremacy here too!

ISG@143 (7,5) x10 reps.

Outerlimit loops: 7.5lbs x10 rows 3 sets strict style

Jon@han

Rick's Rep Scheme Reloaded:

I tried out low reps high sets with my plate curl last night with great results. Normally I do one set with a 35lb plate with 2.5lbs and a c-clamp and had gotten 4 reps two weeks ago with this. Instead I did 10 sets of 2 reps with the 35lb plate by itself. I highly reccomend this rep/set scheme to anyone.

Next week I'll try it with the plate wrist curl as well. Maybe I'll get that 45plate curl this year after all :D

Jon@han

Heavy Coc day:

#2: 5 singles

ISG@185 (11,1) x1

#3: x1 easy force shut against my thigh

#2: 6 singles

#3: forced shut/thigh

HH lose position with 52.5lbs x10seconds L, R assisted shut held for 10 seconds, 10 count LR, 10count LR

Outerlimit loops strict sytle 10lbs x10 rows for 4 sets.

Jon@han

Today I managed to get 10 sets of 3 reps with a 25lb plate and c-clamp in the wrist plate curl. Next week I'll add a bit of weight and see how it goes.

Jon@han