Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

Todays grip stuff:

Platecurl: 25x4, 35+c-clamp x4 x10 sets!!! Got to admitt that some of the reps were pretty sloppy though.

Skipped the wrist curls today again no time,

Did a little bending today as well but my hands/wrists just didn't feel up to an all out assault so I just ended up bending 10 of my 5" 40d spirals.

Jon@han

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Monday night was my heavy Coc day. decided it was time to change things up -need to focus on clean closing (no stabilizn' my arm with free hand) of my #2. Decided to go back to penny stack ruler holds with weight for this. I plan to drop a penny from the stack once I can hold 5-10lbs on the ruler. Also tried some proper negatives with the #2 as well.

T: pinned for 20 count

#1: same

#2: clean attempt 3mm away :angry: rulerhold with 4pennies @2.5lbs left contact only not enough crushing to lift weight, Right held for 5 count. 4 sets each hand

ISG@185(1,11?): solid close with left hand, micro assist for right hand

#3: left attempt pathetic just took the slack out of the handles really, Right 1"

#2: all work this round with arm stabilized by free hand, x1, x3 -only last 1" rom, x1, x3 last 1" rom, x1

#2: two negatives, finally have to the strength to have a good negative with the #2 taking between 30-40 seconds for the battle, the first 3mm have virtual no holding but then I could hold it pinned at that point.

Outerlimit loops: 22.5 x1 lift and hold, x1 hold, x1 hold, x2 rows, 12.5x10 rows.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Don't worry John you'll get that 3!!!!!

Curious John... when did you get your grippers. You must be a hard gainer because you should be closing in on the three by now???

Edited by gripmaster316

Gripmaster,

Definitly not a natural at the grippers, couldn't shut a #1 the first time I tried the Coc's so I bought the trainer last fall, then I didn't get #1-#3 until December? I think?

Jon@han

John,

Try incorporating some overcrushes in your program to close that gap. They help me out quite a bit.

L.J.

Tues workout:

Platewrist curl: 25x3, x3 wrists felt unstable, 25+2.5clamped 5 sets of 5 and one set of 3 called it quits then no power left.

Plate pinch: was planning to do some negatives by lifting with two hands and holding with one but ended up working up to a pr in the two hand pinch with 2x45plates and a bar as the pinching block.

110 x1 dl, 135x dl, 145xdl, 155xdl, 165 -no lift not even a budge the floor magnet came on then and it was stuck to the ground.

2" barbell curl: 75x3, 95x1, 115x1, 125x1 wrists felt like they were going to dislocate

Today wed's workout:

Bending:

5"40d spirals x5, +1/8th" rod x2

1/4"x7" x2 braced? My wrists and hands just didn't feel like I could transmit any good force today at all.

Might have to take a few days off next week.

Hands of Stone I pm'd ya!

Gripmaster, I think I was about 2cm away the first time I tried a Coc #1 last fall.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Thankx John! The only reason why I could close the #1 out of the box was because of my heavy concentration curls. The #2 was a completely different story. To update mine and my brothers progress we are closing in on the three... my brother is about 1/16 and I am about 1/6. My brother will probably have it closed before me. As well he should have it closed before he is 16.

Yesterdays training:

deadlift from knee height held for 10 seconds: 135, 225, 315, 385, 435, 485, 540!!! PR -this was all the current oly weights I have, gonna have to get some more...there's hope of me getting those farmers up for Rick's contest yet!!!

COC:

T: pinned for 20count

#1: Rulerhold 2.5lbs x10count, 5lbs break left, held for 10 count right, break left, 10 count right, 2.5lbs x10 count

#1 +weight on handle to max attempt: 12.5x1, 17.5x1, 22.5x1, 27.5x1 -arm stabilized.

Blockweight: 35x 1arm deadlift 10count, 35x2 x1 deadlift, x5 count, 30x2 x 12foot walk.

Torched!

Jon@han

Fridays grip session:

skipped the wrist curls again....lame excuse is it takes to long for me to set up for the exercise.

Dumbell another layer of tape and put the weight up to 145lb: couldn't deadlift it fully with either hand but broke it off the ground 10 times with each hand.

Coffee can blockweight: thought it'd be fun to try to lift something as wide as the Blob, hope it's close anyways. I kept adding a handful of bent nails and stuff after each attempt worked up to 7lbs and my right hand had enough, left felt strong still.

Platecurl: 25x4, 35+clamp x5,x5,x3? Decided to up the weight and cut the volume since I have been having trouble with the plate wrist curl as well -35+2.5clamped x1 for seven more sets.

Jon@han

Today Heavy coc work:

#2 4penny stack ruler hold @2.5lbs x5 count left and right!!!, x5countLR, x5countLR, x5count R only L made contact but couldn't lift stack same for one more set.

ISG@185(11,1) x1 Left, Right needs a touch of assistance still

#3: attempt slightly under 1" with both left and right

#2: pinned for 5 count x5 sets still need to stabilize arm with free hand.

Outerlimit loops: 22.5lbs x4L x6R, x8LR, x8LR, x8LR

Felt like my grip was pretty solid today didn't do my usual heat rub warm up -normally when I skip this my hands whine and complain when I work with difficult grippers for me.

Jon@han

After an unscheduled break from training (just way too busy last week) it's back to the grind. As a side note I've d/c the barbell work I had been doing and have started a more a typical routine.

Coc heavy training day:

T: pinned for 20 count moved arm in various positions.

#2: attempt strict style 2mm away.

#2rulerhold+4pennystack@5lbs missed left right 5count, 5 count LR, @7.5lbs missed L 5countR, 5count LR, 2count LR

#3: took the slack out of the handles only :blush

#2: pinned for 10count (arm braced) x2 sets

#3 negative once thigh pressure removed handles flew apart not much of a negative.

Outerlimit loops: 25lbs x5 rows, 2 sets only

Dumbell handle close to 2" now @140lbs x 1 deadlift LR, curl grip x 3breaks off the ground, x1 deadlift neutral grip, x2 breaks off the ground regular grip.

Toast

Jon@han

The rest of the weeks workouts:

Tues:

Wristplate curl: 25x3, 25+5clamped x2reps for 7 sets

Plate pinch: 25x2x3, 25+35xdeadlift and 10count hold, 35x2 breakoff ground no chalk, 35x2 with chalk x10count hold, 35x2 +5lb xbreak, 35x2 x10count, x3count

Coffeecan xDL, xDL, plus nails XDL 10count, 10count, 10count

Wed: off to Niagra falls

Thurs:

DL from knee height: 135, 225, 315, 385, 435, 485 held for 10 seconds, 540 broke off pins but couldn't lock it out this week x2 attempts

T: pinned for 20count

#1 RH@2.5 5 count, @5 5count, x 5 count, note attempted higher weights for several sets befoe this but all were unsuccessful.

#1 +weight on handle: 12.5lbs x2 reps seven sets.

Block weights (Hex)

20s xstraight arms 4 overhead

30s x3 " "

35sx DL both hands, 35 one arm to should height straight arm

35s xDL, Dl with twists, 35s x short farmers walk

Coffee can several deadlifts added more nails weighed in @ 10lbs x3 more deadlifts

bent 30 5" 40d spirals while traveling yesterday.

Today Friday

Platecurl: 25x3, 35+2.5clamped x10 singles

Db @140 plus tape xdL, added clamp x 3 breaks, removed clamp x 2 dl

Jon@han

Thanks Amaury, it's mostly reclaiming lost territory prior to my Coc obsession I had builit up a good plate pinch and had sucessfully lifted the 35's without chalk on a few occasions!!! Meanwhile my negatives with the 45's have improved drastically. The first few times I tried them when I let go with one hand they would immeadiately head to the floor and the gripping hand would just slow it down enough so that they didn't crash too hard. Now I can let go and regrip without them heading to the floor.

Funny but I had thought I would get the 45s pinched sucessfully before I could plate curl a 45....now I'm not sure which will come to be first.

Jon@han

Gripmaster,

Haven't tried training for the hub lift yet...I did try to pick my 45lb plate up once that way and it was glued to the floor :blush

Just finished doing the second grip board bash had a few PR's so I'm happy. Hopefully I'll get my regular training in today at a later time.

Jon@han

Well I got my regular workout in after a few hours break from the gripbash contest and considering that I had a pretty good workout yesterday:

Mon heavy Coc:

#2: 2mm away

#2+4pennies@7.5lbs x5count LR, x5count LR, x5count LR, @10lbs x5count LR, x2 count LR, x0 LR

ISG@185(11,1) x1 attempt LR couldn't shut it today

#3: assisted shut on thight x2, block hold 1" x5 count easy, x5count easy LR

#2: pinned for 5 count LR stabilized with free hand

Skipped the remainder of usual work.

Tuesday's work:

Wristplate curl: 25x4, 25+5clamped x2 x7 sets, x1 x3 sets

Plate pinch: 25x2 x10count, 25+35 x10count, 35x2 xpartial deadlift no chalk, 35x2 x10count LR, x10count LR, x10count L, R partial deadlift x3, partial deadlifts LR x3

coffee can lift: 10lbs x10countLR x3, +nails x10count LR x3

Great stuff though my pinch felt like it was still lacking from yesterday.

Jon@han

Just finished some bending at work today. Brought in 35 of my 40d 5" spirals and bent them all in 3 sessions. 15 on my am break, 15 on my lunch break and 5 on my supper break....lunch and am bends were smooth the supper ones were gutted through as the edge of my fingers were inflammed from the irritation.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Hey John I am trying to bend a spike that is 5/16 of an inch at 8 inches long. I put a kink into it after 5 minutes of pure bending power. Do you have any advice on how to bend this thing?

P.S This bend is braced.

Gripmaster,

I certainly can't offer you any advice as that's a bend that's beyond me at present :) Other then you might want to find something that is challenging to bend but do-able and then do a lot of it.

Jon@han

Jon! That's the way to bend! Bend until you cant, rest, bend until you cant, rest... Throw in some bigger pieces of steel every once and a while too. Be prepared for a massive jump in bending power.

G-316, that nail is about the same strength as the "RED" nail. It's highly advisable you learn to bend normal sized steel first. Its admirable that you attempt it, but the two-arm crush over the thigh isn't going to help build the wrist strength for you to finish the bend. It's all in the wrist, it's all in the wrist...

you might want to find something that is challenging to bend but do-able and then do a lot of it

Exactly.

Guest gripmaster316

John, Eric, I can bend 60 pennies pretty easily. My best "real" bend is a 5 inch long 1/4 inch thick nail. Indeed bending is all in the wrist. However I just wanna give that spike a good bend braced. I am shocked that Brookfield can bend that unbraced.

Bender,

It was mostly on your advice that I got that box of 40d nails to play with, thanks again for the sensible advice ;)

Gripmaster...damn all the 60d's around me laugh when I try to bend them.

I got some training in last thurs and fri but I don't recall what it was, working the night shift tonight hope to have a test trial on all the events for Rick's contest tomorrow when I get home that way I have some figures for my openers. The way I see it, if I can do such and such weight after staying up all night I should be able to get it no problem at the contest :laugh

Jon@han