Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

i hope ur sore for all the beastly things you did Jon, I'm still workin on my bending, i went out and got a grade 4 carriage bolt, and KINKED it!, i'm happy with it. My forearms are so sore for bending as well as my wrists.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Yes I'm still feeling the weekend's effects on the ol' hands. Last night's workout was severely modified in hopes of having a good bending session today but my hands still didn't feel "solid" if that makes sense so I couldn't do much strict style.

Tuesdays:

Instead of the plate wrist curling and plate pinching I did the hand towel rollup for 4 sets each hand -most of the towel is now duct taped with about 7 large washers hanging off the towel.

35hex block x 3 cleans and presses

Wed: as I stated my hands didn't feel solid so I couldn't get any good bending in or any minimal padding bends in. As well, I only practiced the double overhand style and had myself folded in half for all of these bends :blush

40d's x1, x1

60d's TSC stock x6

5/16" x6" carriage bolt x1

35hex x3 clean and presses

Hopefully I'll get a half decent moderate gripper workout in tomorrow. BTW Stefen, if you can kink that grade 4 when your still recovering and sore/etc. you just might destroy it when your rested up!!

Jon@han

Jonathan,

Congrats on the heavy workouts you've been doing. After seeing Pat and Steve bending at AOBS, and watching others like yourself in the logs, it is inspiring. I may try it again after my crushing and tearing obsession has been satiated.

Alan

Alan,

I'm terrible at tearing and ripping which I find harder on my connective tissue then bending -weird.

Today's training session:

#1 pinned for 5 count

#1RH@22.5lbs held for 5 count x10 sets!!

Block weights:

Hand's still feeling tired from the weekend so I ended up doing very little with them

20's x3 straight arms

30's x1 strt arms

35's x3 clean and presses one arm at a time

40's x1 negative.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

you did a lot of bending man, Stefan is still bending away, I personally hope he doesn't injure his wrists. Good job with the block weights, I hope to here that you will get that 40 up unassisted. :happy:happy

Thanks GM I hope with a little more training the 40 will get some air time.

Friday nights training:

Plate curl: 25x4, 35x3, 35+1.25clamped x3 five sets.

one arm barbell deadlift: 45x10, 95x1, 135x1, 185x1, 205x1, x1, x1

-felt like I was doing thick bar as the bar kept rolling out of my hand :blush

A little extra bending session: TSC 60d's x4 -these things are feeling easy, the darker 60d's I got from Homehardware actually feel harder to me then the galvanized nails I have.

5/16" x6" slag bolt -I don't reccomend these to anyone not very difficult and it snapped in two.

Jon@han

Today was my heavy Coc session

#1: pinned for 5 count

#2: need slight assistence to fully shut

#2 filed: x1 no bracing finally!!!!

#3: 10 sets of negatives felt quite strong this week. As usual the gripper would instantly open between the 1cm to 1/2cm mark but I was actually able to squeeze it shut a mm or so closer after the initial opening.

ISG@179 x10 count

#2filed: x3 assisted reps

Outerlimit loops: 20lbs x3 high pulls, x5 deadlifts, x5 deadlifts, held for 10 count

barbell wristcurl: Did this for the gripboard bash -hope to finish the other two events tomorrow. I'm kicking myself again for not practicing this movement enough prior to the contest week -but I just find it a pain setting up for this exercise, so no improvement here. 45x10, 95x1, 115x1, 135x1, 155x0

Jon@han

Thanks GM, now it's a matter of getting it consistently!!!

Today's training:

Wrist plate curl: (10x2) x5, 25x2, 25+2.5 with two c-clamps 7 singles.

25x15 left, 13 right!!!!!

The rest was for the G-b bash...again I have to kick myself for not practicing with my pinch block prior to my attempts for the contest..quite embarassing. My blocks end up being 3" width and with the duct tape I could barely pick up 35lbs!!!! :yikes Think I'm gearing myself for last place in the contest this time!

3" block pinch: 25x1, 35x1, 45x0

v-bar: 45, 95, 135, 145, 155, 165PR

Jon@han

good work jon, i'm gonna have some clips up on my album soo, and maybe me toying around 10 - 15 reps

Yesterday's training:

Did the bending at work:

double overhand: my easy 60d's x5

Hand over hand: my easy 60d's x8

Underhand: 40d's x6

2.5" dumbell @110lbs x3 rows x5 sets. My left is much stronger here I was able to do the reps without setting the bell down between each rep whereas my right it was necessary and my last two sets the rom was on the short side.

Jon@han

I irritated my right elbow at work yesterday...it's been on the verge of flairing up anyways but showing off I think I tweaked it a bit too much. So, yesterday's grip workout was full with the grippers but I cut back alot on the block weights and did no other work:

Coc moderate day:

#1: pinned for 5 count

#1RH@25lbs xheld for 5 count x10 sets.

Block weights:

20x2 deadlift

35 x2 deadlift

40x5 negatives deadlifts

Note: I didn't do any over head lifts with the blocks as I also had my flu shot at work and I had some localized pain at the site -I'm such a wuss :laugh

Today's training:

I only did my farmer walk with the ezcurl bars@120lbs each. It was damn cold outside and I couldn't get my whole hand on the bars with gloves on so I chalked up lot's in hopes of preventing my skin from sticking to the bars -just thought of it as ice therapy for the hands.

Managed to walk them from the barn to the bush and turned around and was heading back when the cold just got too much for me. I then tried wearing gloves and walked about 10 feet with my pinky fingers off the bar (no room)

That's it for the week, I'll probably end up doing a little training next week with the grippers and other exercises but I'm going to skip the bending for sure.

Jon@han

Well I know I said I wasn't going to do anymore training but I finally got some 2.5" farmer bars welded together thanks to my brother in law on Saturday. I couldn't wait to try them out so I threw a pair of 25's on each bar making 85lb bars and went for a walk with them. Took them 105 feet including up the log stair way I have on the driveway then walked them back after I measured how far I went. So now I know I have to train up another 55lbs on the bars to survive the medley in BFGSII. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get the training sessions in to do the job!!! :yikes

Jon@han

Looks like you hard work is paying off.

Thanks Super Straub bros I'm taking this week off of training (on nightshifts again feel the need for a lay off) but I'll probably have a session or two with my new thick farmer's October isn't that far away -I feel the deadline looming already!!

Jon@han

Couldn't go the whole week without training maybe some Paxil would help the obsessive compulsive behaviour :laugh

On Wed I took my 2.5" farmer's for another walk @95lbs each. Walked out the 105 feet (out of the garage and up the stairs ) no problem but on the way back it became a high volume deadlifting session :blush Well I had to drop and pick them up at least 6 times to get them back.

Got my BB grippers in the mail this week so I had to have a go with them as well. I only got up to the M shut, my SM feels like a #3 and my GM and E are like slightly easier #4's :yikes I'd like to be able to shut my GM next year at Rick's contest.

Did my rulerhold's this week with my SA which is harder then my #1:

SA RH@17.5lbs x5count, x5count, x5 count, @20lbs x5count, x5 count, @22.5lbs x5 count, @25lbs x zero couldn't budge it off the ground.

Next week I'll be back to my full routine.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Good to here from you again John. you aren't the only one who has that compulsive desire to train. Usually, if I am sick, tired, injured I will still go at it. Those farmers sound like a real bitch John, 2.5 inches is really thick... good work! :rock:rock

Thanks GM,

Yes, I'm feeling better having some that I can train with now....hopefully I'll be able to work up to the 140 a hand before October!!!!

Today's training heavy gripper training:

First off it's sure nice having the BB grippers in my colllection they fit in quite nicely between the coc's!! This was my first full flung workout with both sets of grippers -here's how it went down -

A: pinned for 5 count

#1: x1 rep

SA: pinned x5

M: pinned x5 first time I tried this gripper I didn't do so well my ego is back!!

Filed #2: pinned x5 big PR!!

SM: x1 neg I can see the horizon though hopefully it won't be long before I master it

#3: x5 solid negatives. This was probably my most successful feeling work with my 3 so far.

GM: x5 negatives two of my negatives were pretty crappy.

E: Laughed at me! I couldn't even get this thing to move into the closing range.

ISG@176(8,6): pinned for 10count, @179(3,10) pinned for 10 count

Outerlimit loops @20lbs x4 sets of 5 reps high pulls, x5 reps DL

Jon@han

Tuesday's workout:

Platewristcurl: (10x2)x6, 25x3, 25+2.5lbswith 2 c-clampsx8 singles, 25x10reps

Felt solid think I'll add weight to the single work next week.

Platepinches: (25x2) x10 count hold...felt weak so I went to my 3" block next. 10x10count, 20x10count, 30x10count, 40x1 negative

Today's workout:

Bending, didn't feel solid in my bending today so there was no volume.

DOuble overhand: 40d x1, 60d x1, 60d -.25" x0

Hand overhand: 60d -.25" x1, -.5" x1, 40d x1

Sad, hope to do better my next bending workout.

Jon@han

Today's grip training moderate gripper work:

A: x1

#1: x1

SA RH@12.5lbs held for 5 count x10 sets

Block Weights:

20x3 swings to overhead

30x1 straight arm to overhead

35x1 clean and press

35+2.5lbs draped over block with hay twine x3 deadlifts

40 x7 negatives

Not bad straight after nightshift.

Jon@han

Today's training post night shift. I have to switch back to day shift so I forced myself to get up at 1200 so I only got to lie down for 3.5hrs. Felt it too when I tried to train.

No plate curls to report.

One arm barbell deadlift: 45x6, 95x3, 135x1, 185x5 singles. Still feel like I'm going to blow a gasket doing these. Think I need to actually do some weighted ab work so I can build up some more volume.

2.5" farmer's: got them loaded to 100lbs each this week, problem was it was pitch dark by the time I got around to doing them so I marched in place with some good knee height instead. Hope it gives me enough simulated movement for days when I can't get outside with them. 50 steps in place, rest then another 25.

Also I should note that I was able to force shut my elite gripper against my leg, no negative though as soon as I took my thigh pressure away the gripper snapped open.

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Those assisted close can be a real bitch John! I tried to do one with the four and I bent my wrist causing immense pain.:( Watch out for those!

Edited by gripmaster316

Thanks Thomas, I always feel like there's at least some hope of closing a gripper in the future if I can jam it shut against my leg.

Last night's training heavy gripper work:

A: x1

#1: x1

SA: x1

M: x1

Filed#2: held it shut for 10count!!!

SM: x1 negative

#3: 7 negatives, my right hand is still struggling to get a good set weird my handness in the grippers has switched yet again.

GM: x5 negatives not very good ones wasn't able to hold it at all.

ISG@179 held for 10 count, @181 held for 10 count

Outerlimit Loops: 22.5lbs x5 high pulls, x5 deadlifts, x5 deadlifts, held for 10 count

Also I tried out the coin lift on the weekend with a quarter. I'm very weak in this movement: 12.5lbs was as much as I was able to lift pinched between my first finger pad and thumb. I found I was able to lift 22.5lbs if I held the coin between the side of my finger and thumb like a key. So my goal will be to try and attain Eric's starting weight in this exercise of 30lbs. Should be interesting.

Jon@han