Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

1 arm barbell deads: 45x10, 95x6, 115x1, 135x1, 190 x6 singles

Hi Jon,

You may be interested to know that The Swiss has been doing them as part of his training lately. You are using quite the same weights BTW ( i just know David's best though: 231lbs right and 224lbs left if my memory serves me well).

Your plate curl is insane ! :cool

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Now it's time to pack and get some sleep for the early flight to Miami cruise bound for a week so expect to hear me weighing in over 220lb when I get back (they have a 24hr pizza shop on board)

How do you expect to go a week with no grippin? Oh, I get it, you're sneeking your grippers along with ya. Good thinking. Just don't let the wife find em. The deep sea creatures have no use for em!

Have fun on the cruise, and nice lifting Jonathan!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back gang! Got in late on Monday. Tried some exercise on Tuesday but I was coming down with something and weak from my holidays :blush so it didn't amount to anything. Sick all week junk in my lungs but I made a go of a little gripper workout today:

T:x1, A:x1, #1x1

SA RH@22.5lbs x1

M RH@11.5lbs x6 singles

Hopefully next week I'll be back in full swing

Jon@han

Thanks Bros.

Didn't get any exercise in except that little bit reported last week due to feeling punky. But today I felt better so I went back to it.

Heavy gripper work:

T,A,#1,SA,M,filed #2, all x1

SM x1 negative

#3: x5 negatives

GM: x5 negs,

E: x1 half arsed negative

ISG @191 and 193??? can't remember I'm at work don't have my log book with me. held for 10 count

Outer limit loops @21.5lbs x5 high pulls, x10 deadlifts, held for 10 count

Jon@han

Uggh! Dragged my butt out of bed around 1300 with the weight of knowing I had to go in again to work tonight. Today's workout was fueled by Christmas chocolates and diet pepsi

2" barbell power cleans: 75x5, 95x3, 125x1, 165x1, 185x1, 125x5

2"barbell curls: 75x10, 95x5, 115x2, x2, x2, x2, 75x10

Wrist plate curl: (10x2)x10, 25x5, (25+5lbs and 2 clamps) x5 singles, 25+2 clamps x5 reps

coin pinching: 11.5x5 single deadlifts, 14lbs x5 singles

plate pinches: (35x2) x5 deadlifts alternating hands until completed, (25x2 + wood block) x1 my grip is pretty weak with my hand wide open like that

block weight deads:

35x1

35+2.5lbs x1

+5lbs x5 singles

barbell finger rollups: 45x10, 95x10, 115x10, 145x10

Jon@han

Sunday nightshift:

I brought my SM in thinking I could do some extra work with it before Monday's heavy gripper session.

Maybe had 20 attempts total. Kindof dissapointed as I was able to keep it closed once the assistance from my free hand was removed. Still it was a good workout for the skin on my hands at the very least. Hope to do my usual monday grip work when I wake up this afternoon

Jon@han

gees where to begin, didn't get much computer time these last few days so here's my report on training mon,tues,wed

Mon: heavy gripper training

Well playing with the supermaster on Sunday I wasn't up for my usual hand destruction.

T,a,#1,SA,M,filed#2,SM,#3,GM all times one or one attempt depending on the gripper.

M: x2 reps x10 sets.

ISG@193 (2,11) held for 10 count, @196(6,9), @202(3,11) feels good to finally get this thing at the 200 mark in training Mind you my hand is as far away from the pivot point as possible so the force poundage would be less.

Outerlimit loops: 26lbs x4 high pulls, x5 deadlifts, x5 deadlifts, held for 10 count

Tuesday:

wristplate curl: (10x2)x10, 25x5, 25+2.5lbs x3, 25+7.5lbsx1, 25+10lbs no gas this week could get the full rom. 25+2.5lbs x10reps

coinpinch: 14lbs x10 deadlifts

plate pinch: x0 this week nightshift effect???

Blockweight:

35x1 clean and press

35+2.5lbs x1 deadlift

35+5lbs x5 deadlifts alternating singles.

Wed:

Did some bending not much feels like I tweaked something in my right hand:

double overhand: 40d's x3, TT's x5

Hand overhand: 40dx1, 4 tt's finished a bolt I hand kinked the other day easy stock all threaded 5/16"?

Hope my hand feels better for tomorrow

Jon@Han

Hey Jpnathen I recenttly closed my coc#2 for the first time thanks to kta, but I was wondering which is harder to close, a filed#2 or a bbsm? The reason for this question is because I am trying as many stepping stones to eventually close my goal gripper the coc#3. Also I noticed that you have both the bbgrand master and the coc#3 which are both rated the same in terms of wire size. Do they both feel the same in the difficulty level? I would appreciate your input, and if you have any more in between coc#2 and coc#3 I woud appreciate more input, thank you very much.

f1perez,

Congrats on mastering the ol' #2 it took me sometime to do the same if you look through my log you can see this. I think Bill could use me as an example of what happens if you don't use KTA and weren't a born gripper :laugh

Here's my take on the grippers:

The SM is definitly harder then any filed #2 I have tried, I still can't close the sm with one hand yet. The GM feels harder at the last " of rom or so then my #3. Although to be fair I haven't worked with that GM much yet...I'm sure it is still getting seasoned. Maybe after 100 or so closes I'll have a more accurate picture amongst my grippers strengths.

Did my thursday's workout before going to sleep this morning, thankfully tonight is my last nightshift for a few weeks.

Moderate gripper work:

T,A,#1,SA all for one rep

M RH@14lbs held for 5count x9 sets.

Tried some 21's with my SA but only managed 3 reps in the close rom with one moderate rom rep and my hands went slack on me.

Skipped the block weights as sleep was becoming a priority!!

Jon@han

Jonathon, thanks for your reply, and yes I have read your workout log and I am truly impressed with the gains that you have made on all grip aspects(crushing,pinch gripping, wrist strength, and everything else you have endeavored.) You have a strong will to continually improve. Keep up the good work.

Thanks F1,

Not much to report from fridays half arsed workout. No plate curl due to the tweak in my right hand.

1 arm barbell deadlift: 45x10, 95x5, 135x1, 185x1, 205x5 singles

M RH@16.5lbs held for five count x3

If time permits today I'd like to take my tb farmers for a walk today.

Jon@han

Monday was my heavy gripping day:

T,A,#1,SA,M,filed #2 all x1

SM: damn I'm such a liar can't hold this thing shut after I set close it, seems to jump open to the 3-4mm mark then I can hold it. x1, x1

#3: x1 excellent negative so good it felt like the sm and my 3 were the same

GM: have decent negative

Elite: forced it shut on my thigh

#4: tried to get a half decent set couldn't even do that :blush

#3: solid negative

GM: neg

Elite: garbage

#3: two more negatives

GM: neg

#3: neg

ISG@202(3,11) assisted shut and held for 10count

Outer limit loops: 26.5lbs x5 pulls, x5 rows, x5 deadlifts, held for 10count

Jon@han

Tuesday's workout:

wristplate curl: (10x2)x5, 25x5, 25+2.5clampedx4, 25+5clampedx2, 25+7.5clampedx1, 35lb plate cheated up did the wrist curl off my knee with some body english, 25+2.5clamped x5, 25x9

coin pinch: 16.5x5 dl Left, Right hand is still off and weak from last week was only able to do a couple by pinching the side of the finger.

Plate pinch: (25+45)x1 dl Left only think this is a PR right was an assisted lift, (35+45) broke off the ground left, Right negative only, (45x2) x2 bad negatives both hands, (35x2) x1 dl Left only

Shot rotations

Jon@han

Today's workout:

Did a little easy bending since the right hand is still crippled -40d's x5

Hammer twists (8lb) about 1/2 way mark on handle: x4L 2R, x4LR(in an inch for right), x4LR ,x5LR

25 beer caps: My first attempt I was able to bend one cap in my first three fingers on my Left hand simutaneously, after that it was single finger work with my right hand noticebly lagging behind.

Jon@han

Thanks guys, Yes Nik I've read The keys to Progress several times. One of my favourite books despite the fact that my training doesn't really look anything like the routines he wrote about.

Yesterday's workout: Moderate gripper work

T,A, #1, SA all for one rep

M RH@16.5lbs held for 5 count x10 sets.

21's: SA -3 reps close rom, mid rom, full rom

The grip and forearms were toasted still from yesterday's sledge work so no block weight work.

Jon@han

Friday's stuff:

one arm barbell deadlift: 45x10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x1, 210x4 singles

M RH@19lbs held for 5 count x3 sets

plate curl: Haven't done these in quite some time so I didn't do as well as I planned.

25x5, 35x1, 35+2.5clamped x3, x5L x2R, 35x5

Jon@han

Today's workout heavy gripper work:

T,a,#1,SA,M, all x1

filed #2: actually got some handle grinding going on! x1

SM: still can't hold this shut pops open to the 2mm mark

#3: x10 negatives in total some weren't so great especially with the right hand

GM: x1 solid negative

E: crappy negative

#4: even worse still can't even set this beast :laugh

ISG@202(3,11) x1 assisted shut and held for 10 count

Outer limit loops @26lbs x5 high pulls, x10 deadlifts, held for 20 count

Jon@han

Todays training:

wristplate curl: (2x10)x10, 25x10, 25+2.5lbsclampedx1, +5lbsclampedx1, +7.5lbsclampedx1, +10lbsclamped x1 -but the rom wasn't full, 35x1 cheat off of my knee instead of off the bench, 25+2.5clamped x7reps, 25x12 reps

coin pinch: 16.5lbs felt weak this week was only able to lift pinching to the side of my finger x6 deadlifts each hand.

Plate pinching: (25x2) held for 10 count,

the next few sets were all done with a 25 and 45 pinched together:

held for 10 count, +1.25lbs ,+2.5lbs, +3.75lbs, +5lbs, +6.25lbs -this last one was only held for 2 count

(35x2)x3 rows

8lb hammer -hammer curls: middle handle x5, just below middle x4, 6 cm below x2

I hope to keep adding weight to my plate pinches with the hope of switching the 25 for a 35 plate eventually. My right hand felt much better this week just the same I am skipping bending this week.

Jon@han

Thanks Thomas!!

Reporting last thursday's and Friday's training:

Thurs: moderate gripper work

T,A,#1,SA x1

M RH@19lbs held for 5 count x 10 sets

21's with SA: close x4, mid x4, full rom x4

block weight deadlifts:

35 x1

35+2.5 x5 singles

Fri:

one arm barbell deadlifts: 45x10, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 185x1, 215x1, x1