Proposed Program For Coc's

Jonathan McMillan

hey jon i went to the Y today and tried some stuff, i could get two 33lbs off the ground and plate curl 35lbs for a couple of reps not to strick tho, hey Jon do you know anywhere in peterborough? where would we meet?

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonathan McMillan

• amaury

• bencrush

• thomas straub

Never been to Peterbourgh before Strongman....trying to find my way there is half the challenge...I could get lost going around a corner :blush

Today's training:

Coc moderate training.

#1: pinned for 5 count

#1 RH@15lbs held for 5 count x10 sets!!!

Block weights:

20x4 straight arm to overheads both arms at once

30x1 straight arm to overhead both arms at once

35x1 clean and press one arm

40 -my newly aqquired block weight this hex is the skinnier version and is as wide as my 35 block x3 negatives held for 2 count then controlled to ground.

35- 7 singles clean and presses one arm.

2" barbell deadlift from knee: 75x3, 165x3, 255x1, 275x1, 285x1 overhand

345x1, 415x1 alternating grip.

Finished it off by walking with my 20lb block weight over to the inlaws house...had to switch hands several times...toasted!!!

Jon@han

Todays workout:

1 arm barbell deadlift: form didn't feel too good so I didn't go for a max attempt.

45x3, 95x1, 135x1, 185 x 5 singles.

Plate curl for max weight: 25x3, 35x1, 35+1.25clampedx1, +2.5clampedx1, +3.75clampedx1, +5clampedx1, +6.25clamped x1, tried with 7.5clamped but form was really really crappy.

Sand blasts: had a bucket full of gravel ...have to work with sand more first though could barely wedge my hands in there.

2" barbell reverse curls: 75x3, 85x3, 95x3, x3 too lazy to do more

Extra bending session: Sandi got me to cut up some metal rods for her to take to work for a bending session last night so while I was down there I gave the pile of 60d's I had bought a stare and went for one. With some bracing I finally FINALLY bent one of these things up!!!! So today I had to try again to make sure it wasn't a fluke -

40dx5" x1 with minimal padding even less then I usually use.

60dx6" x1 braced to start the bend

60d x1 with less bracing at the start

60d x1 braced

60d x1 braced.

Oh man I'm so jazzed....my next bending purchase will be a box of 60d's FINALLY!!!!!!!

Jon@han

Jon i'll give you a map of peterborough asap and i'll label where we live.

Sounds good SM,

Today's training post nightshifts....ugghh! Got to sleep around 08:30 this morning and dragged my lazy butt out of bed @12:00 but I had to lay on the couch until 13:30 before I got the motivation to head to the basement:

Coc heavy day:

#2: filed attempt

#3: First few attempts were attrocious seemed the handle was rubbing a nerve or something along the bones in my hand so it wasn't until the 4 single and on that I was getting half decent negatives out of it. Overall I did 10 negatives holding @the 1cm mark for a 5 count each hand.

#2filed: 5 attempts with assistence shut on those last mm's, and two attempts inverted with a forced shut.

ISG: 157(9,3) pinned for 10count, 161(10,1) assisted shut pinned for 10 count, my right hand is signifigantly weaker then my right on this today.

Also I should note a PR - showing off last night managed to mash shut 228(3,12) although my hand is not in the centre so those numbers don't count -still this is 28lbs more then I've done before.

Outerlimit loops: 12.5lbs x10 high pulls, followed by 4 sets of 10 deadlifts

Barbell rollups: Rediscovered this exercise and found a style I feel very productive for me by allowing the bar to roll along my body I can roll it right down to an open hands wow!

45x10, 95x10, 115x10,x10

Not a bad workout at all!

Jon@han

Today's grip stuff:

wrist plate curl: 25x4, (25+1.25with 2 clamps) 5 sets of 3 reps and 2 sets of 2 reps.

Plate pinch: (25x2) held for 10 count while swinging arms, (25+35) deadlifted and held for 10count, (35x2) x7 single deadlifts held for 5-10count, (35x2+5lb) x1 break off the ground.

V-bar: man, I'm not very good at this one -45x1, 90x1, 135x1, 150x1,x1,x1 This is very tough for me quite a challenge...thanks to Eric's contest or I'd never get around to giving it a try!!!

Shot rotation: x25 towards thumb, x15 opposite direction getting a bit better with the opposite rotation.

Jon@han

Todays grip work mainly bending:

my style: 40dx1, national stock 1/4"x7" x1, x6"x1, 60d's x5

Hand over hand: 40d x1, national 1/4"x7" x1, 60d's x4

Underhand: pooched only managed to bend 3/16x5" x3 :blush

2.5" dumbell: @102.5lbs x3 rows 6 sets.

Jon@han

Thanks bigguy!!!!! I'm going to cut one of those nails you gave me down to 6" so I can compare the toughness compared to the box of nails I have -that should be interesting....

Todays training moderate coc work and block weights:

#1: pinned for 5count

#1 rulerhold@17.5lbs held for 5count 10 sets.

Block weights: Changed up the routine a bit -

20lb x1 dl

30lb x1 dl

35lb x1 dl

then jumped to the 40...tried without sucess so it was back to the negatives two hand lift then release with one hand and hold on as long as possible: 5count, 2count x6 sets, 3count

tried the towel drag rollup as Brookfield described on the ironmind website. I have a long rugged hallway in the basement so this is perfect for multiple rollups. Very pumpy exercise!!

25x1, 50x1, 75x1 Man! I could barely scoop any icecream out after that (post exercise snack) Nice exercise I highly reccomend it!!!

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

75??? Common John you should try more then that. Get a beach towel, fold it in half, and load like 100 pounds on it. I am doing 125 right now.

Todays training:

Finally made a round circuit from the barn to around the bush and back again (approx 25yrds between the barn and bush) with my ezcurl bars @100lbs!!!!

Plate curls: 25x4, 35+c-clamp x4 for 5 sets.

2"barbell lockouts: 75,165, 255,305, 345, 415, 465, 515, 555 broke off the rack but couldn't lift it just made a lot of banging.

standing fingertip presses: found this an awkward exercise couldn't find a good implement tried a 35lb hex block then a 25 plate ended up going back to the block and might have had a few productive reps the rest of the time I was trying to just perform the lift correctly (out of gripmaster's manual).

Jon@han

Monday's training heavy coc work

Pinned the #1 for 5 count

Filed #2: still can't shut the darn thing 2-3mm off

#3: got 10 negatives with it. The left hand feels like I'm getting decent sets now, but the right is lagging in that department.

Filed #2: 10 attempts with assisted closes

ISG@161(10,1) held for 10count, then the next two settings both held for 10count as well.

Outerlimit loops: @15lbs x10 high pulls, x10 deadlifts, x10 deadlifts, x10count hold. Gotta watch the form still on this -caught myself jamming my fingers too deep again.

8lb sledge lever work: I'm terrible at this , tried a few front levers from the floor my best being 2" down from the middle label with my left hand, tried some side levers and rear as well, also tried the lever that Tom Black wrote about to the shoulder....need lot's of work in all of these!!!

Jon@han

Yesterdays training:

Felt the need to change things up getting burned out trying to get the ten sets on the wrist plate curls so I went for something different.

25x4, 25+1.25lbs and 2 xclamps x2, 25+2.5 and 2 clamps (32.5lbs total) x5 singles, 25x12 reps

Plate pinches: (25x2) x2 swings, (35x2) x3 rows x5 sets needed a touch of assistance to lift on the 2 reps on each set after the initial rep off the ground.

handtowel rollup (as in gripmaster's manual): x3 sets tried to roll the towel up like a sausage this time and found I prefered this...might have a pound total of washers hanging off the towel.

Today's training:

2.5" dumbell rows: @102.5lbs x3, x4 for 4 sets.

Bending: kept it low volume today as I have headed in to London to visit family so I wanted to show off a bit. Hands were tired didn't feel like I had a soild vice grip

40d x1

60dx3

5/16 HR x10" got a 10-20degree bend in it with a crap load of bracing even over my leg .

Jon@han

Jonathan,

i can relate to your frustration with the no.2 -i am currently 1/2mm from closing it myself so it should go next week. i am curious when you mention a filed 2, could you please explain this to me along with the difference and purpose.

keep up the great training log and best of luck to you

stephen

Stephen,

Check out the KTA program if you can I think there's lot's of info on filed gripper's in there. I would but I have a crappy computer and worse internet access. The first time I tried a filed gripper was at Rick's contest.

Thurs training:

#1RH@20lbs x10 sets of holds for 5 count

Blockweights:

20x6 straight arms

30x3 " "

35x1 " "

40 x7 sets of 3 negatives

Thumb clamp: several sets some negatives as well.

Jon@han

Last night's training session:

one arm barbell deadlifts: finding these rough on the ol' stomach muscles even with the puny poundages I'm using I have to be careful I don't over inflate the lungs prior to lifting: 45x10, 95x1, 135x1, 195x4 singles each hand.

Plate curl: 25x5, 35+c-clamp x5 for 3 sets and 2 sets of 4 reps

Bonus bending session this week:

60d x1

60d with a skinny rod taped to the nail x1, x1 PR

60d with palms of hand padded lightly only x1, x1 this is a pr for me as well -normally for me to be able to bend the 60d's I have I have to wrap the whole nail in a wash cloth.

That's it for this week.

Jon@han

Couldn't resist, went out on my lunch to the local TSC and picked up a sampling of some more nails so I could show my stuff at work. Ended up with some major effort u-ing a 60d galvanized !!!! Big PR my palms are pretty sore despite putting more padding on the nail then I usually do.

Ok now that is it for the week!!

Jon@han

Jonathan, you have really been bit by the bending bug. What did the people at work say about your 60d feat? Great job!

Yes it's true I'm a bending addict thanks to you and all the other benders on the grip board.

The girls at work just laugh at me and call me crazy, I'll probably end up having to bend some more at shift change so the rest of the gang can see.

Jon@han

Today's training heavy coc work:

#1: no set pinned for 5 count

#2filed: x1 shut finally but I had to hold my arm with my free hand.

#3: 12 negatives, the first was really crappy but the rest were solid with some good sets with my left hand and improving sets with my right.

#2filed: 10 singles assisted shut working with a no set. Just like curling I want to work my sweep!!!

ISG@169(2,10) pinned for 10 count, @176(8, 6) pinned for 10 count, 179(3,10) pinned for 10 count left hand only, right couldn't do anything at this point.

Outerlimit loops: 17.5lbs x6 hi-pulls L, 3 R, x10DL, x10DL, x8DL, x20count hold

one arm deadlifts with 2" bar: 75x1, 125x5 singles toast!!

35hex block x2 clean and presses

Jon@han

Today's grip training:

wristplate curl: 25x4, 25+1.25clampedx1, 25+2.5with 2 c-clamps x7 singles

Plate pinch rows: 25x2 x2, (35x2)x3 with assitance on the second and third rep x5 sets

Barbell finger rollups: 45x10, 95x10, 115x10, 125x10, x6

v-bar: 45x1, 90x1, 135x10 singles, 100x10 reps

35lb hex x2 clean and presses.

That's it, forgot to do a rep out after the singles on the wristplate this week.

Jon@han

Today's grip session bending:

My style: 40d x1 with minimum palm padding only

60d x1

a dark 60d x1 with a mighty struggle I think these things are close to the galvanized nails I have

60d with a skinny rod taped to it x1

60d x1

one of the long nails Big Steve gave me

Hand over Hand: 40dx1

National stock 1/4"x7" x1

60dx1, x1, x1, x1, x1

Underhand: 3/16x5"x1

40dx1

1/4National x7" x1 I think this is a PR

40d x1, x1

35hex block x2 clean and presses

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

hello John the mailing system doesn't seem to be working so let me post my mail message

I guess my brother already told you that my parents think its a bit weird to let a stranger come to their house. But can you still meet us in... like a big parking lot!!! I was thinking of Canadian Tire because it is really easy to get to. Please bring a cell phone if you have one. As well bring as many grip tools as possible (all of your grippers).

Last night's training session heavy coc work:

#2 filed: shut with arm braced by free hand

#3: 6 negatives, the left hand was very smooth but the right was a battle.

#2 filed: assisted shut for 6 singles

ISG@179 pinned for 10 count tried another set at the next setting and crashed

Outerlimit loops: 20lbs x6 high pulls, x5 deadlifts, x5 deadlifts, x1 isometric hold -couldn't budge it off the ground.

Inverted gripper work etc: played around with inverted grips and 1 finger, two finger attempts. Shut my #1 with pinky and ring inverted and almost got it with my index finger!

Think my hands were still torched from Saturday as I struggled to get what work I did in, also my R-elbow feels a bit irritated so I cut things shorter then planned and will debate on whether I exercise tonight after work.

Jon@han